Berry's 158gr RN in Henry rifle?

PDA

dragon68
June 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
My dad bought a Henry lever action rifle and i have some of those(158gr RN Plated) bullets.My question is can i load these in a 357 Mag case and what would be a good load? I have AA#5, Unique, 231, and 2400. Is there a good load that anyone has tried and will the longer barrel make a difference in how the plating is affected?

Thanks for any help!
Tony

If you enjoyed reading about "Berry's 158gr RN in Henry rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buck460XVR
June 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
I'd be leary of loading any non-cannelured bullet for a tube feed.

jim243
June 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't use those bullets in his new gun. I have had nothing but problems with Berry's Bullets they have always shot like garbage for me. I would use harder cast bullets for his rifle.

Jim

Walkalong
June 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
As long as there is enough neck tension to hold the bullets put, you should be fine. You can add some taper crimp to help. Push in the case mouth .003 to .005. Use a proper taper crimp die with a long sloped crimp angle. We do not want to roll the case mouth into the bullet. De-burring and chamfering the brass helps as well.

I really like the Berrys 125 Gr TrFP, but I much prefer the X-Treme 158 Gr SWC over the Berrys 158. It simply shoots better for me, in a variety of guns, in .38 and .357.

zxcvbob
June 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
With a long barrel, you'll be pushing those way faster than Berry's recommends unless you load them down quite a bit. .357 Magnum benefits from a long barrel a lot more than most pistol cartridges. For that reason, I'd use the 231 or Unique.

I did some experimenting with Berry's bullets in .38 Special, and they *looked* better when I used a taper crimp die, but they shot better if I used the roll crimp die and set it so it just barely bit into the copper.

dragon68
June 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
ok thanks lots i will save these bullets for my 357 revolver.I will try some hard cast 158 gr RNFP. I just have to tell him he has to wait until Monday when i can get them :eek: . Thanks again !

Tony

zxcvbob
June 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
You could load him a few .38 Special +P's. Use about 5 grains of Unique.

dragon68
June 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
Good idea i will load him a few so he can just get to shoot it and let him load them just 2 or 3 at a time to keep them from having push back in the tube.Thanks again he is like a kid at christmas lol :D .

Tony

If you enjoyed reading about "Berry's 158gr RN in Henry rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!