Decrease In Accuracy In One Day?

PDA

Pictures
June 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
So, my brother-in-law bought his first handgun and he took it to shoot with his family today. He said that the gun became less accurate as the day wore on. Can anyone think of anything that may have caused this besides possibly human error? I'm just perplexed to what might have caused such a thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Decrease In Accuracy In One Day?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
June 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
Two possibilities come to mind.

1. Shooter fatigue -- especially if they weren't using proper hearing protection.

2. Fouling -- especially with lead bullets that are too hard, or not properly lubricated.

clocker
June 17, 2012, 08:32 PM
Agree with what Vern said.

3. If it is a revolver, some are known for the barrel canting if they are not pinned or tight enough. Happened to me after 50 357 Mag rounds.

rcmodel
June 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
The shooter done wore out his arm and his concentration from the muzzle blast and recoil by shooting all day.

There comes a time in every range session when further shooting does more harm to shooting skills then good.

Everyone gets to the point they start shaking more and concentrating on the front sight less.

One side of your brain reachs a point when it just wants to get it over and done with, but the other side don't know when to stop.

rc

Pictures
June 17, 2012, 09:04 PM
How many rounds would you say it takes to get to that point? I'm not sure how many they shot.

Cherokee
June 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
I don't know about others but somewhere around 200 rounds is my limit for off-hand shooting. Bench testing I can do more.

Byrd666
June 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
Ammunition and or round count. Same ammo? Heat, or lack thereof. Wind, or lack thereof. Weather as an all inclusive. Fatigue of any sort on the shooters part.

Weapon condition. Was it clean first go around? Second? Third?

Vern Humphrey
June 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
How many rounds would you say it takes to get to that point? I'm not sure how many they shot.
It varies with the individual -- but it can come in as few as 20 rounds for an inexperienced shooter.

243winxb
June 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Sight come loose or move? Seen the Ruger MK1 22 autos 5 1/2" bulll barrel front sight screw come loose or the spring loaded rear, after some hard use move from recoil. Bullseye 3 gun shoots, require firing 270 rounds in a day, using only one hand. :D

Pictures
June 17, 2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll offer these explanations to him. It's his first gun so he's probably kind of bummed about the whole thing.

rduckwor
June 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
The round count to reach fatigue depends upon many factors, but the heavier the caliber, the sooner you get whipped. Every shot beyond that point is one of diminishing returns in terms of practice/learning and fun.

RMD

Lonestar49
June 17, 2012, 11:11 PM

Be sure and tell him there are "no magic bullets" that keep hitting bulls eyes for a beginner, especially after 30 - 50 rounds..

It just goes down hill, as mentioned by many, shooter fatigue as new tiny and some major, muscle usage, comes into play quickly and fades quick until he has put in some "major time" to build up these tiny and big muscle memory's along with "consistent" , balanced, grip, stance, "proper breathing" at the moment of taking each shot, and trigger finger placement and "smoothness" vs rushing the shots, as in chasing the front sight and trying to then see where the bullet/s are hitting.. :uhoh: doesn't work well that way.

Luck,

Ls

hentown
June 18, 2012, 08:21 AM
"So, my brother-in-law bought his first handgun." There's the answer. I wouldn't spend a lot of time overthinking this one. ;)

ChCx2744
June 18, 2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I think this has more to do with operator error than the gun or ammo, unless the barrel is so damn dirty the rifling is throwing the bullet off...I'm pretty certain it's the latter.

Sam1911
June 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
"So, my brother-in-law bought his first handgun." There's the answer. I wouldn't spend a lot of time overthinking this one.

Exactly. It may not seem like it, but this is a lot like saying, "I bought a football this weekend and threw a great 30 yard pass to my brother. But after 4-5 hours, I was having terrible trouble even getting that ball NEAR him! What could be causing this?"

It is a discipline, it isn't easy, it takes a lot of practice to do well, and you'll have to build up some stamina to keep operating at your best level for very many rounds.

Pictures
June 18, 2012, 08:28 PM
It's his first gun, but not his first rodeo. He also shot with other family members who have been shooting for longer than I've been alive. All involved experienced the same thing.

Pictures
June 18, 2012, 08:55 PM
Just spoke to him, he said as the day went on, his shots were hitting low and to the left and kept walking in that direction as the day wore on. They tried different types of ammo with similar results. They tried didn't guns and those were spot on.

I'm thinking it's a loose sight problem. Are Sigma's known for having that issue?

rcmodel
June 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
Low Left = jerking the trigger = shooter fatigue as the day wore on = jerking the trigger.

Loose sights on a fixed sight gun like a Sigma might shift left or right, but they can't shift up or down.

rc

Pictures
June 18, 2012, 09:30 PM
If it was fatigue, wouldn't it have effected them when they shot other guns too? They switched between a few as a test and they didn't have the same issues with the other firearms.

murf
June 18, 2012, 11:18 PM
he will find out next range session. between now and then, check for a badly lead or copper fouled bore.

murf

hentown
June 19, 2012, 08:32 AM
It's his first gun, but not his first rodeo. He also shot with other family members who have been shooting for longer than I've been alive. All involved experienced the same thing.

Now that sheds a different light on the matter that results in only one logical conclusion: genetic aberration!!! :cool:

Ol' Occam raises his ugly head, one-more-time!!

gym
June 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
I go with 243, first thing to check is both sights. My Springer just had the rear come loose after I replaced and staked the front.

holdencm9
June 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
If it was fatigue, wouldn't it have effected them when they shot other guns too? They switched between a few as a test and they didn't have the same issues with the other firearms.

What other guns were they using. Aren't sigmas known to have less-than-ideal triggers? If they were "testing" their skills with a buck mark or something and still shooting bulls, but having issues with the sigma, it could still be fatigue the culprit. Toward the end of a long day of shooting, I can still hit anything with my buck mark but start to shake a bit/flinch with some other guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Decrease In Accuracy In One Day?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!