Guess my stuff is old now!

PDA

DougW
June 17, 2012, 11:00 PM
I have built many AR rifles since 2000, and the current herd is 5 1/2 (extra upper) in various configurations. We really tricked out the carbines back in 2006 and 2007 with all the neat stuff at the time. One M4'gery has an Aimpoint ML2 in an ARMS mount, Yankee Hill BUIS, and newer Magpul CTR stock and forearm. Another M4'gery has a TA31F ACOG, Vltor CASV-EL fore end, newer Magpul furniture and BUIS. Both have SOG 2 point slings, "tac" lichts of some kind, and both work well, being built on Stag lowers and Del Ton kits.

My question for those interested concerns keeping up with what is current. (My company is about to change me from a Blackberry to a Droid. My newest laptop has Windows 7, my oldest an early WindowsXP.) I see all the new innovative stuff from many manufacturers, especially scopes and furniture. The design of the AR today lends itself to dressing up like a GI Joe toy (note I did not say Barbie doll!). My stuff is around 6+ years old, and while still functional, it is not the newest, latest and greatest. (I know, my rifles will blow up on me bcause they are not a BCM, Noveski, or Colt 6920's. Not the issue here.)

I am wondering with my long winded post if some others have thought about what you have built out as opposed to what is available today. Do you keep up with the newest stuff, of roll out with what you have?

Just a final comment; my most recent "rebuild" is an A2 upper and a DPMS 11.5" chrome lined barren with the 6" flash hider perminately attached, Surefire light, and Magpul furniture. I find myself going back to the basics and moving away from the wiz-bang.

Thoughts? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Guess my stuff is old now!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
June 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
My stuff is around 6+ years old, and while still functional, it is not the newest, latest and greatest.
So. Unless something is broken, or simply not working out for you, why worry about it to just be in on the latest trend or fad? Now if something is just not working for you then by all means replace it with something that will. But until then rock what you have until something wears out and needs to be replaced. There is nothing wrong with staying current but why spend money to fix what is not broke?

firesky101
June 17, 2012, 11:43 PM
If it makes you feel better my AR does not even have quad rails. *gasp*

animator
June 18, 2012, 01:28 AM
If it makes you feel better my AR does not even have quad rails. *gasp*
I have an A2 clone that doesn't either. It's been that way for the past 5 or 6 years and still works great.

Come to think of it, my m4 clone doesn't either, and the most tacticool thing on it is a bushnell red dot optic. It's not going to be changing any time soon...

ColtPythonElite
June 18, 2012, 01:53 AM
Heck, I don't even own an AR. Don't have a laptop, either...The employer gave me a duty AR over 10 years ago. I rarely shoot outside work.

USAF_Vet
June 18, 2012, 02:08 AM
Send any old outdated stuff to me. I'll even cover shipping. :)

Seriously though, as long as they are still functional, who cares how old they are? I still regularly shoot my '53 vintage M-44 and '30s era 20 gauge.

YankeeFlyr
June 18, 2012, 02:09 AM
I guess mine's waaaay out of date...triangular handguards, no forward assist and a skinny-minnie barrel, to boot!

hardluk1
June 18, 2012, 09:06 AM
What might be new today is melonite treated parts and barrel is some what new and excepted by some as the way to have both accuracy but the easy of maintaining and durablity of chrome. But like others covered to rebuild a rifle just for the heck of it ? Is some used up now?? If not don't change.

Bushpilot
June 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
I'm like you Doug, my AR is more "Old school." My AR doesn't need any batteries or weigh 10+ pounds and that is really the way I prefere it. My AR is an M-4 with A2 sights. The next AR I want to buy is actually going to be more like YankeeFlr's. Add an old 3 prong flash supressor and it would be perfect..lol

Art Eatman
June 18, 2012, 11:42 AM
"Do you keep upth the newest stuff..."

Why bother? What I have worked well when I bought it and it works well now. It does what I want done and that's enough to suit me. Press trigger, hit target, go back to sleep.

ClickClickD'oh
June 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
Do you keep upth the newest stuff, of roll out with what you have?

I still frequently use an AR that has a AWB era upper on it...

dprice3844444
June 18, 2012, 11:58 AM
Guess my stuff is old now!

your wife says the same thing about you, too,does that mean your out the door?

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
June 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
I saw one the other day that didn't have a drink holder ! But thats about all it didn't have !I suppose you could always use a little night vision , or a supressor ? Kevin :scrutiny:

788Ham
June 18, 2012, 12:09 PM
I don't have a laptop or an AR, don't want or need them. I have an old Remington 788 in .223 that shoots almost hole in a a hole @ 200 yds., I'm not going to change any time soon either! Enjoy! :cool:

jim243
June 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
No, keep them just the way they are. Once tricked out, and working well, then it is a old friend that will be faithful.

If you feel you just have to (we all do), build a 6.8 upper and put the modern furniture on it, try a minimum amount of junk on it. And use it for hunting.

Just a thought.
Jim

DougW
June 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
Good comments guys. My wife hasn't thrown me out yet after 34 years either! I too have gotten to the point that simpler is better. I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts the other direction.

kwelz
June 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
Old isn't bad. ARs have changed but the basics are the same. If you really want them to be "new" then change out a couple parts. Get a newer style hand guard, etc. But the fact is that they are not like computers where they are outdated and need to be replaced every few years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guess my stuff is old now!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!