Aiming difficulties

PDA

fishblade2
June 17, 2012, 11:03 PM
I recently bought two guns. Both of which are older more collectable guns. I don't know exactly the brand or name of the single action pistol in 22 mag but it has fixed sights on it. The other is a nylon 66 .22 LR. It has adjustable back sights that only go up and down not right and left (unless I am looking at something wrong). Either way both guns show no sign of abuse to the sights that would cause a bend in them. But today after shooting for a couple of hours I would aim straight down the sights, slow nice trigger pull that I remain on the target after the shot etc. (it's a .22 LR so that's not hard :) but I still had a tendency to shoot right. I even though that maybe it was a bad habit I had but I set up a paper target and at 25 yards I little clustered all my shots in one spot on the paper but it was left of what I was shooting. This also happened with my pistol which again has fixed sights. Could it just be a coincidence that they both are shooting left on me or could it be something in my stance or shooting style. Any ideas from people who have experimented with shooting stances and different styles of aiming?

If you enjoyed reading about "Aiming difficulties" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Furncliff
June 17, 2012, 11:41 PM
If your not shooting from a rest try that.
Ammo...with a change of ammo you'll see a change in the POI (point of impact). Rimfire guns can be very sensitive to ammo. The only way to find out what works is to test a bunch.
Fixed sight pistols can be tough. With no way to change the sights you are pretty much down to testing various ammo to see if you can find one that will come closer to your point of aim.

Testing needs to be done from a rest, even if it's home made.

WNTFW
June 17, 2012, 11:50 PM
The Nylon 66 should have windage adjustment. You need a screwdriver that will fit it. Elevation has a thumbscrew head. If you are grouping that is a good thing.

Post a close up pic of the sights if you can.

The stance is right if your NPA is good. Natural point of aim. Take aim. Close eyes, open them. If you are on your NPA is good. If you are off, adjust stance. The longer you have you eyes closed the better your NPA. At least one breathing cycle is good, sometimes 2 or 3 will show more refinement. The ultimate is sights on before and after recoil. Also if you can call your shots you know where the front sight was when rifle fired. Sometimes I break the shot & see I was high & right on my sights and the shot hits high right. That is me. Not sights, rifle or ammo.

The fact you are shooting groups says to me you are off to a good start.

If you enjoyed reading about "Aiming difficulties" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!