Rust Prevention - Silicon impregnated gun case / close - Tests? how it works?

PDA

wacki
June 18, 2012, 12:21 AM
Does anyone know how the silicon impregnated gun cases work (e.g. http://www.borestores.com/ ) What's the mechanism at play?

Has there been any side by side tests of metal w/ the cloth and metal without the cloth?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust Prevention - Silicon impregnated gun case / close - Tests? how it works?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
solvability
June 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
I have not had good results with Silicone for rust protection - or anything really. EEZOX works very well.

hso
June 18, 2012, 02:53 AM
Yes, I've seen a few side by side comparisons including silicon socks and cases and rags and none of them fared as well as other treatments.

wacki
June 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
got any links to those side by side comparisons?

thanks!

rcmodel
June 18, 2012, 04:03 PM
Any firearm is less likely to rust when stored in open air and allowed to breath.

Any padded case, no matter what it is treated with, can hold moisture / humidity against the gun, and it is sure to wipe off or absorb any rust protection product you apply.

rc

wacki
July 1, 2012, 05:10 PM
*deleted -- wrong thread*

45crittergitter
July 1, 2012, 07:23 PM
That would be silicone (lubricant), not silicon (sand).

icanthitabarn
July 2, 2012, 10:32 PM
Oh great, I read about the wonders of silicone and rush out for like 5 cans and spray the s silly out of all storage items and now this :fire:

floorit76
July 2, 2012, 10:36 PM
I have had 2 silicone gun socks given to me over the years. Not sure how they do for rust control. But after some time in a drawer, they both turned stinkier that a truckload of nfl jock straps mixed in with a load of manure. I'll never let another one of those things in my house agian.

Drail
July 5, 2012, 10:03 AM
Regular oil will prevent rust just as well as "silicone" and has one great advantage - you can wipe it off so that you can hold onto the gun. Get some silcone on it and it will not wipe off. Then it's on your hands and gets on everything you touch. It's pretty hard to get it all off of your hands as well. Soap and water won't remove all of it. I never understood the supposed "advantage" of silicone. It has its place but coating a gun with it is not a good idea. And as RC stated, do not "store" your gun in any kind of case. Cases are for transport only, not storage. I have seen far too many guns covered in rust that the owner stored in a case or in a sock or laying on carpet. Store them in open air with a nice thin coat of oil on them. Eezox and Breakfree Collector are the best produts I have found. Breakfree CLP has prevented all of my guns from rusting for many years.

WRGADog
July 5, 2012, 01:36 PM
I use Zero Corrosion gun bags. They work great and are reasonably priced.
https://www.zcorrproducts.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust Prevention - Silicon impregnated gun case / close - Tests? how it works?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!