Springfield Armory 1911- Had to have it!

PDA

Scott-NC
June 17, 2012, 11:25 PM
Most of my pistols are polymer pistols suitable for carry, or 22s..... I've been reading about 1911's. The history, and the mechanics. I saw one recently and I put it in my hand and thought- I have to have this. It weighs about 47 pounds unloaded, I think.

It is a:

Springfield Armory Model 1922A1 GI SS, Limited Edition
I'll provode the serial number if that will be of use.....

What I want to know from those of you that know these things is-

1) Is what I have something I should shoot? I have no safe queens and want to shoot it if it won't detract from the value. If it would, I have to analyze if the feel in my hand is worth the bucks- probably not.

2) How do I tell if it has ever been fired? And- related to question 1- should I care?

3) What are comparable models selling for? In other words- What is it worth!!!!

Thanks all,

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Armory 1911- Had to have it!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CmdrSlander
June 18, 2012, 12:23 AM
Limited edition perhaps but not rare as I understand it. I would shoot it.

KAS1981
June 18, 2012, 12:24 AM
1) Yes, you should shoot it. You don't have a collector's piece there. Go enjoy your new 1911.

2) Did you buy the gun new or used? Even if it's a NIB gun, it was probably test fired at the factory.

3) What's it worth? I'd say it's a $600 gun, $650 at the most.

CmdrSlander
June 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
Also, almost all modern pistols have been fired at least once at the factory. You can always check the barrel (run a patch with solvent down it) if it comes out dirty it has been fired at least once, if not more times. This is assuming the previous owner didn't clean it of course.

Check areas like the space around the safety for signs of wear, if it is showing wear then the safety has been engaged/disengaged many times. This denotes frequent use/handling.

Finally, by the way your post reads it seems that you believe you have something really valuable. Sadly, you don't. Springfield armory 1911s aren't even made in the US anymore and the gun you have is their lowest end model. Nevertheless, they are good guns, shoot it!

Scott-NC
June 18, 2012, 12:52 AM
That's awesome. I didn't get taken too bad and it's a shooter...... I can't wait to put some rounds through this thing. It is so heavy compared to my 9 and 40 carry guns that I'm thinking it won't be much more perceived recoil. Thanks all.......:D

shootniron
June 18, 2012, 01:05 AM
CmdrSlander

Springfield armory 1911s aren't even made in the US anymore

This is true, it has been nearly 20yrs that Imbel has forged all and assembled most of the Springfield 1911s.

WardenWolf
June 18, 2012, 05:04 AM
That's a nice piece. Polished stainless and parkerizing for the win.

foghornl
June 18, 2012, 07:01 PM
Go shoot that thing untill you can't hold it up anymore.

Scott-NC
June 26, 2012, 04:01 PM
Go shoot that thing untill you can't hold it up anymore.
I did almost that..... Man is that thing fun to shoot!

wojownik
June 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
1) Is what I have something I should shoot? I have no safe queens and want to shoot it if it won't detract from the value. If it would, I have to analyze if the feel in my hand is worth the bucks- probably not.

It's a shooter enjoy !

2) How do I tell if it has ever been fired? And- related to question 1- should I care?

If a pistol has been cared for, why not? Used, not abused. Just don't pay NIB pricing for a used pistol.

3) What are comparable models selling for? In other words- What is it worth!!!![/QUOTE]

1KPerDay
June 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
1. Shoot it.
2. No, you shouldn't care.
3. It's worth what you paid.
:)

bannockburn
June 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
It's a shooter so go out and shoot it! Enjoy you new M1911!

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Armory 1911- Had to have it!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!