Thinking about a new carry gun.

PDA

JSmith
June 18, 2012, 09:10 AM
I was looking at a Springfield XD subcompact the other day, for about the fifth time... and it still didn't do anything for me. It's black, it's square, it's plastic... nothing there really made me say, "Yeah... This'll work." As I was leaving the shop, I saw a Colt New Agent in a back corner of the display case. I think that one would work.

What do you guys think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about a new carry gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Esoxchaser
June 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
Whatever floats your boat. I think the New Agent is a really sharp gun. But that's the problem with it for concealed carry, too many projections, sharp, snaggy beavertail, hammer etc to catch on clothes.

2wheels
June 18, 2012, 09:48 AM
I occasionally carry a New Agent (which funny enough, replaced my XD40 subcompact, imagine that), I admit I've got a bit more love for my EMP... But the Colt is a fine carry gun if you're into 1911s. And part of what made me buy it is that it's pretty unique as far as 1911s go, it almost seems like it could be a custom job. All in all I love my little Colt.

It's suprisingly accurate for a gun that doesn't have a traditional sighting system, though it does take some getting used to (took me 50 or so rounds to get the hang of it). And it's nice and slim, works real great IWB. Never had a problem with it snagging on any clothes, if anything it's less likely to snag than other similar guns (that is the point of the trench sight).

I had my extractor get a little loose, but that took me a few minutes to diagnose and fix myself (though I plan on buying a new extractor just in case).

On the other hand, the XD is a boringly reliable and capable carry piece that you'll never ever have any trouble with. I liked mine, but prefer 1911s.

critter
June 18, 2012, 10:37 AM
My Colt New Agent is my most often carried firearm. Love that thing.

psyopspec
June 18, 2012, 11:19 AM
Double post.

psyopspec
June 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
JSmith, what's the issue with your current carry gun that you're trying to address? It's hard to give feedback on what will work when we don't know what you need it to do, or what doesn't work now.

JSmith
June 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
JSmith, what's the issue with your current carry gun that you're trying to address?

It's too big. My current "carry gun" is a full-size 1911. And that's what's attracting me to the New Agent: it's basically a miniature 1911.

Gtimothy
June 19, 2012, 12:23 AM
Check out the new Springfield Armory XD-S. 45ACP 5+1 (7rd mags available), SMALL and light for a 45.

I got one to replace my current carry gun. Range trip on Thursday to break it in, then I'll start carrying it if everything goes well!

skoro
June 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
I saw a Colt New Agent in a back corner of the display case. I think that one would work.

They're nice.

You interested in the 9mm or 45 model?

psyopspec
June 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
I haven't carried a 1911 in years, but any time you can lower the grip size you're making concealment a little easier. On the other hand, a 5" 1911 never bothered me with a good gun/holster combination. The fact that it was slim never hurt.

No experience with the New Agent, but that single stack Springfield looks like it could be the bees knees. I haven't seen one yet, but the track record of their polymer autos is good enough at this point that I would be a willing buyer if the pistol felt right.

JSmith
June 19, 2012, 11:18 PM
You interested in the 9mm or 45 model?

.45ACP. Always and forever.

bluethunder1962
June 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
I have a colt defender I carry all the time. I use a uncle mikes 16 I think it is. I don't even know it is there.I love it. The only thing I don't like is the low mag count.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about a new carry gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!