Shooting an un-lubed cast bullet

PDA

birdshooter
June 18, 2012, 06:15 PM
While reloading 158gr LSWC for my .38 Special today I found in the box an un-lubed bullet. If I hadn't noticed it and loaded it up, what would the consequences possible have been? Load is 3.9gr Unique.

I'm not going to load this one bullet, just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting an un-lubed cast bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnM
June 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
Probably nothing. If it's a good fit it's not likely you'll see any difference.

rcmodel
June 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
But you will get bore leading like crazy I betcha!!

Oh? Never mind!
Just one bullet in a box of lubed bullets?
Probably nothing.

Very likely it missed the size & lube machine at the bullet casters.

It will be slightly oversize, and could possible bulge a case enough to prevent chambering.

rc

JohnM
June 18, 2012, 06:38 PM
Not likely to even bulge a case. When I used to buy commercially cast bullets I'd find a few with no lube in every box.
Used to cull them and then started checking, non were ever over sized; so I just shot 'em.

Yeah, if you shot a boxful of totally dry cast you'd be scraping out lead for a while.

earplug
June 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
Put a dab of paste wax on it and load it.
Some Car wax works fine.

J2FLAN
June 18, 2012, 07:05 PM
You can get a small bottle of bullet lube from MIDWAY or any reloading supply place to keep on hand, for a bullet that has lost its lube. Might not need it, and lots of other stuff will work, but it gives piece of mind.

GP100man
June 18, 2012, 09:34 PM
Yrs ago I did a little experiment ,I loaded 50 lubed & 50 unlubed boolit . Then shot em alternating everyother shot lubed/unlubed .
Yeah they leaded a little bit but way less than I expected !!

1 or2 out of a box I`d never think twice of it !!

Salmoneye
June 18, 2012, 10:10 PM
Crisco is your friend...

243winxb
June 18, 2012, 10:18 PM
Good lube, alox/bees wax 50/50 will condition the barrel. If its bullet number 50 when fired, it will not make a difference. RC makes a good point, bullet may have missed the sizing also.

Hondo 60
June 19, 2012, 12:10 AM
One in a box, will most likely have no effect.

Now if you were to regularly shoot unlubed bullets, you'd most likely see LOTSA leading.

birdshooter
June 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks everyone. It measured the correct size so I will load it up and shoot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting an un-lubed cast bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!