CMMG vs. Rock River 308

PDA

Dean1818
June 18, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thinking about going the 308 AR route

Of these 2, which would you choose and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "CMMG vs. Rock River 308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RCArms.com
June 18, 2012, 07:30 PM
I voted Rock River because I like the ability to use FAL mags.

I have one in transit to me at this time to replace my Armaliite AR-10T Carbine. Armalite is quite nice and light, but uses unique mags that I don't want to stock up on.

Don

HankB
June 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
I used a CMMG upper on my last build which appears well made and has so far been 100% reliable and accurate, so I'm pretty sure they make good stuff.

On the other hand, that same rifle has an RRA lower parts kit (including 2-stage trigger) and that seems well made and has also been 100% reliable.

Zane
June 18, 2012, 08:30 PM

I'd choose an AR10 pattern rifle that uses SR-25/DPMS magazines. So, of the two, I'd go with CMMG, however there are other choices.

Welding Rod
June 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
I like RRA ARs, but I handled a RRA 308 a few years ago and the mag release seemed a little sketchy to me. I don't remember the details other than thinking if I bought a 308 AR it probably wouldn't be a RRA for that reason.

I also bought a CMMG 556 upper that had significant build/quality issues. CMMG made it right, but due to the number of problems it had I wouldn't personally role the dice again with them.

All that said I would look to some other make. DPMS has never impressed me so personally I would take a closer look at Armalite if looking in that general price range. Or if stepping up was an option, I would consider something in the big buck 308 AR class.

TexasPatriot.308
June 18, 2012, 09:52 PM
I own some Armalite AR10s and one Bushmaster BAR10, would like to buy a RRA LR308, just cant hardly find them. I got a RRA AR15 (CAR15) I really like.

NG VI
June 19, 2012, 12:24 AM
I got a bargain bin AR-15 from CMMG, and I was really happy with it.

I like to stick with the people I know.

madcratebuilder
June 19, 2012, 09:10 AM
I voted Rock River because I like the ability to use FAL mags.

I have one in transit to me at this time to replace my Armaliite AR-10T Carbine. Armalite is quite nice and light, but uses unique mags that I don't want to stock up on.

Don
FAL mags are less unique than M14/AR10 mags? The ArmaLite Gen II mags are within a few dollars of what surplus FAL mags cost, if you can find them. The SR-25 mag is without doubt the Defacto standard now that ArmaLite is onboard with the new SR-25 magazine AR-10A.

CMMG vs. Rock River 308

The CMMG is priced like the DPMS rifles, but it has a 6061t6 billet aluminum upper vs the extruded 6000 series DPMS upper. The CMMG MK-3 WASP is maybe the best bang for the buck of all the 7.62 AR's. $1400+/- buys a PRS, floated hand guard with removable rails, two stage trigger, , fluted 18" coated barrel and it uses SR-25 mags. The CMMG MK3 SST stainless steel 16” is under $1200 and has MOE butt and floated hand guard.

NG VI
June 19, 2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah I really like CMMG. Their business model seems to be to make really solid rifles, run a small enough profit margin that you can't assess what they're selling without coming up positive on the value balance, and just keep cranking them out.

And they look like a fun company to work for. As I get older that matters more and more to me in my buying decisions.

Tex4426
June 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
I love rock river...there quality is second to none...i cany speak for ther 308 but the pred pursuit shoots under 3/4 consistantly

DirtyHarry31
June 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
I have owned several RRA rifles & that be my choice. They have always made a quality AR. Just my .02

ms6852
June 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
I like RRA they make a solid and reliable AR

RCArms.com
June 19, 2012, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=madcratebuilder;8229192]FAL mags are less unique than M14/AR10 mags? The ArmaLite Gen II mags are within a few dollars of what surplus FAL mags cost, if you can find them. The SR-25 mag is without doubt the Defacto standard now that ArmaLite is onboard with the new SR-25 magazine AR-10A.QUOTE]

I have several FAL's and a huge pile of mags, so for me, a rifle that uses mags that I already have is a plus.

The Armalite uses propritary mags that work only in the AR-10 or modified M14 mags. Nothing wrong with the platform, but it was the mag type that made sense for my situation to go with the RRA.

Don

Casefull
June 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
I have shot an rra 308 w standard 16 barrel for 3 years and it is easy to shoot 1moa with the rifle. Once you have a rra rifle you will find most your other ar's seem sloppy and loose. There 2 stage match triggers are hard to beat also.

Salty1
June 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
I was in the same situation, really like RRA and CMMG, as mentioned it is hard to beat CMMG's quality for the price. My research brought me down a few different roads and I ended up buying a FNAR which arrived yesterday, hopefully I will get optics mounted this week and be able to shoot it over the weekend and see if it is truly a MOA rifle as they claim.

Dean1818
June 19, 2012, 03:46 PM
FAL mags are less unique than M14/AR10 mags? The ArmaLite Gen II mags are within a few dollars of what surplus FAL mags cost, if you can find them. The SR-25 mag is without doubt the Defacto standard now that ArmaLite is onboard with the new SR-25 magazine AR-10A.

The CMMG is priced like the DPMS rifles, but it has a 6061t6 billet aluminum upper vs the extruded 6000 series DPMS upper. The CMMG MK-3 WASP is maybe the best bang for the buck of all the 7.62 AR's. $1400+/- buys a PRS, floated hand guard with removable rails, two stage trigger, , fluted 18" coated barrel and it uses SR-25 mags. The CMMG MK3 SST stainless steel 16” is under $1200 and has MOE butt and floated hand guard.
Where do you still see them at $1200?

CDNN doesnt offer them anymore

henschman
June 19, 2012, 05:34 PM
I say CMMG, because of the cheaper/more common mags -- it takes P-mags, while the RRA takes FAL mags, which are hard to find and many are not in great shape.

Also, the CMMG has a nitrided bore and chamber, while the RRA is just plain old chrome moly. Also the RRA has a proprietary barrel nut, which means if you want a free-float handguard, you are limited just to what RRA sells, whereas the CMMG is DPMS/KAC pattern, which there are a ton of aftermarket handguards for.

Badlander
June 19, 2012, 06:59 PM
Since when are FAL mags hard to find. A friend bought A new RRA LAR 10 at A recent gun show. We found several dealers at the show that had mags and picked up 6 of them for A reasonable price.
I have not shot the gun but it looks good to me!

Dean1818
June 19, 2012, 10:32 PM
I was in the same situation, really like RRA and CMMG, as mentioned it is hard to beat CMMG's quality for the price. My research brought me down a few different roads and I ended up buying a FNAR which arrived yesterday, hopefully I will get optics mounted this week and be able to shoot it over the weekend and see if it is truly a MOA rifle as they claim.
I looked at the FNAR as well, but i worried that the barrel might heat up and string since it looks to be a BAR hunting rifle upgraded

Is that accurate?

Dean1818
June 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
I am leaning toward the CMMG, because:

It has a SS barrel

It uses Pmags

Weighs 3/4 lb less

It looks to be $150 less

Still not 100 percent sure..... Have wait till my bonus is paid

I would love to get some complete side by side accuracy

gunnutter
June 19, 2012, 10:45 PM
Both solid choices. I have the RRA .308 but if you can get that CMMG for $150 less that sounds like a good way to go!

meanmrmustard
June 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
I voted CMMG. They make solid stuff, very good QC. Oh, did I mention I support local businesses?:)

madcratebuilder
June 20, 2012, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=madcratebuilder;8229192]FAL mags are less unique than M14/AR10 mags? The ArmaLite Gen II mags are within a few dollars of what surplus FAL mags cost, if you can find them. The SR-25 mag is without doubt the Defacto standard now that ArmaLite is onboard with the new SR-25 magazine AR-10A.QUOTE]

I have several FAL's and a huge pile of mags, so for me, a rifle that uses mags that I already have is a plus.

The Armalite uses propritary mags that work only in the AR-10 or modified M14 mags. Nothing wrong with the platform, but it was the mag type that made sense for my situation to go with the RRA.

Don
If you already have a ton FAL mags then it's a smart move. The modified M14 mags are used by ArmaLite AR-10B's, Noveske and Aero Precision. The SR-25 was won the magazine war.

I am leaning toward the CMMG, because:
It has a SS barrel
It uses Pmags
Weighs 3/4 lb less
It looks to be $150 less
Still not 100 percent sure..... Have wait till my bonus is paid
I would love to get some complete side by side accuracy

I've had the opportunity to shoot several 7.62 AR's, ArmaLite, Noveske, DPMS, LMT, and a couple of Mega builds. 16" to 21" barrels with price ranges of 1K to 3.5K. Everyone would shoot moa or better at 200yds. These 7.62 platforms are just plain accurate rifles that are easy for most to shoot.

The biggest difference I saw between rifles was perceived recoil.

Dean1818
June 21, 2012, 06:51 PM
Anyone here own a CMMG mk3 full rifle?

dprice3844444
June 21, 2012, 07:02 PM
http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtLE90116S.aspx

check out the colt le901 308 and 223

wnycollector
June 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
CDNN (http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=99c3876c30b42968d4190988b&id=8eef87a373&e=c08c74de42) has the CMMG SST on sale for $1499 w/ free shipping.

RCArms.com
June 21, 2012, 07:41 PM

Colt is the "johnny come lately" when it comes to .308 AR rifles. It will be interesting to see if their entry lives up to the expectations that come with that Prancing Pony rollmark.

Don

Enachos
June 21, 2012, 09:26 PM
I think the ability to use FAL mags, which you already have plenty of, trumps the $150 price difference. I'd go with the RRA. I own a entry tactical and it's easily one of the most solid AR's I've ever handled and fired.

Dean1818
June 21, 2012, 09:36 PM

The Colt looks nice, but is about $500 more than my wife will let me spend :)

frankmako
June 21, 2012, 11:39 PM
i got the rra lar8 and it is a tank of a gun. rock hard, and a good shooter.

gunner69
June 22, 2012, 02:15 AM
Don't leave out the Bushmaster Optics Ready in this fight. I really do like mine, fairly light, 16" Midlength gas powered, and accurate. Another Plus is it used the PMag SR-25 Mags that really WORK and only cost $18.95 a pop. With my law enforcement/military discout I paid $1,050 + tax for mine. All the furniture is Magpul too boot!:D

madcratebuilder
June 22, 2012, 07:50 AM
Anyone hear own a CMMG mk3 full rifle?

I've run a few mags through a friends. It shot like my Noveske N6 with a bit more recoil. It's a lighter rifle than my N6 because of the 3" shorter barrel.

Dean1818
June 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
CDNN (http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=99c3876c30b42968d4190988b&id=8eef87a373&e=c08c74de42) has the CMMG SST on sale for $1499 w/ free shipping.
They just have one leftover in 18 inch. They dont expect to sell anymore

Salty1
June 27, 2012, 09:33 PM
To be honest I have not really shot it enough yet to answer your question, I just did the final zero to the scope on Sunday, shot about 50 rounds through it over an hour and did not notice any difference in performance or groupings at 200 yards. Once the zero was completed it consistantly shot half dollar groups at the 200 yard distance, that was with a bi-pod from a bench. So far I have been very impressed and FN's claim to be MOA seems to be spot on. It is a bit heavy (11 lbs equipped) so I am not sure it is a carry around all day type of rifle unless your one of the younger guys.

I just received an e-mail from CDNN and they have the CMMG SST listed, if you have a friend with an FFL I am sure he could snag you one.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/DSC_0029-1.jpg

Dean1818
June 27, 2012, 10:31 PM
The FNAR looks nice

jem375
June 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
neither, DPMS makes the best 308

Salty1
June 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
care to explain to us why DPMS makes the best AR or is it because you bought one?

Tex4426
June 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
My uncle has a dpms..after spending an extra 400 bucks on a gunsmith it finally works

Matthew Courtney
June 28, 2012, 03:12 PM
I do. It is the most accurate semi that I own. Barnes Vor tx TTSX avg .40 groups at 100 yards. FGGM .52 inches avg.

pilotlight
June 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hey Dean, I just owned (and sold) my CMMG MK3 with an SST 18" upper. Probably the best configuration for multi-purpose rifle ever, in my opinion. But notice, I SOLD it?
They made a manufacturing error or bought barrels with an incorrect gas port which 'overgasses' the system and results in perpetual FTEs. (Eject)
This statement is not made to skew them, as I like CMMG very much. The gun was super accurate and had a lovely fit and finish. Their attempt to ameliorate the problem was very odd; instead of the correct gas system, they were treating 'symptoms' of overgassing. (Rifle length stock, spacer in the buffer) :scrutiny:

But, until they come out, fess up and fix their mistake, turn and run the other way. You will save yourself a ton of headaches and UPS RAs to Missouri.

IF you'd like more info, I can forward you a link to another forum where it is discussed in detail.

Rock River is nice, super accurate, but I do not like FAL mags. Anything with an SR-25 pattern mag; I.E. Magpul Pmag! DPMS...

Dean1818
June 28, 2012, 11:30 PM
Hey Dean, I just owned (and sold) my CMMG MK3 with an SST 18" upper. Probably the best configuration for multi-purpose rifle ever, in my opinion. But notice, I SOLD it?
They made a manufacturing error or bought barrels with an incorrect gas port which 'overgasses' the system and results in perpetual FTEs. (Eject)
This statement is not made to skew them, as I like CMMG very much. The gun was super accurate and had a lovely fit and finish. Their attempt to ameliorate the problem was very odd; instead of the correct gas system, they were treating 'symptoms' of overgassing. (Rifle length stock, spacer in the buffer) :scrutiny:

But, until they come out, fess up and fix their mistake, turn and run the other way. You will save yourself a ton of headaches and UPS RAs to Missouri.

IF you'd like more info, I can forward you a link to another forum where it is discussed in detail.

Rock River is nice, super accurate, but I do not like FAL mags. Anything with an SR-25 pattern mag; I.E. Magpul Pmag! DPMS...
Please send the link

A few folks have added an adjustable gas block to fix this when it happens

There are quite a few folks that have had zero problems.....

I still have some time until my bonus, i am also looking at the sig716

Thanks for the inputs...... Lots to consider

If you enjoyed reading about "CMMG vs. Rock River 308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!