Just ordered a Leupold rimfire scope. Any reason it can't be used on an AR?

PDA

the count
June 18, 2012, 05:53 PM
I ordered a Leupold Leupold VX-1 2-7x28mm rimfire scope for a Volquartsen .22LR. At around $200 this scope seems to be a bargain for a Leupold gold ring model. Is there a reason this scope could not be used on a larger caliber like a .223? Just not made for the pounding or is is just a marketing thing?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21PsrEx0tJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Just ordered a Leupold rimfire scope. Any reason it can't be used on an AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scramasax
June 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
I don't think so. The only difference that I know of is the parallax is set at I believe 50 or 75 yds.

Haxby
June 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
It's a rimfire model because of the fine duplex and the 60 yard parallax setting. It's built as tough as any Leupold VX scope.

the count
June 18, 2012, 07:46 PM
It's a rimfire model because of the fine duplex and the 60 yard parallax setting. It's built as tough as any Leupold VX scope.
I have fine duplex on other scopes and like it. What is the parallax on the "non-rimfire" scopes and how would that affect the shooter?

rcmodel
June 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
Centerfire scopes are set parralax free at 150 yards or so.

Actually, I don't think you will ever notice any differance with the rimfire scope being set closer.

Gofer It!
A .223 certainly isn't going to break it.

rc

the count
June 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Centerfire scopes are set parralax free at 150 yards or so.

Actually, I don't think you will ever notice any differance with the rimfire scope being set closer.

Gofer It!
A .223 certainly isn't going to break it.

rc
Thanks RC. I have a bunch of scopes in the sub $200 range and while most are OK, I am pretty sure the Leupold will blow them away. If it works out great I might sell off all the Burris', Nikon and whatever :-)

If you enjoyed reading about "Just ordered a Leupold rimfire scope. Any reason it can't be used on an AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!