Do Not Use in Firearms with Ported Barrels or Recoil Compensators

PDA

CmdrSlander
June 18, 2012, 07:04 PM
I saw this message on a box of Federal Champion 9mm ammo. What is different about this ammunition that renders it unusable in guns with ported barrels or comps?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Not Use in Firearms with Ported Barrels or Recoil Compensators" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KenW.
June 18, 2012, 07:10 PM
Different lawyers?

rcmodel
June 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
The Champion line of ammo is Federal's less expensive range and training ammo.
As such, they use a cheaper thinly plated bullet instead of a conventional jacketed bullet.

They may rightly feel the thin plating will strip off in a ported barrel or comp and shoot someones eye out with a flying bullet fragment.

rc

CmdrSlander
June 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
rcmodel's seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of arms and ammo strikes again! Thanks.

Magoo
June 18, 2012, 11:34 PM
rcmodel's seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of arms and ammo strikes again!

Seemingly?

This is supposed to be The High Road. Give the man his proper respect. ;)

walking arsenal
June 18, 2012, 11:37 PM
This is supposed to be The High Road. Give the man his proper respect.

Alright then! It's was an impressively accurate WAG! ;)

CmdrSlander
June 19, 2012, 12:20 AM
Allow me to rephrase: rcmodel's godlike knowledge of arms and ammunition strikes again.

leadcounsel
June 19, 2012, 12:30 AM
Possibly cheaper/lower powder won't cycle the slide as well in a compensated/ported gun because the gasses escape rather than aid in cycling...

Carl N. Brown
June 19, 2012, 12:50 AM
A quick search on ported compensated barrels and lead bullets comes up with a lot of complaints about cleaning the lead out of the ports, and recommendations of wearing safety glasses due to the flying bits. Apparently thinly plated bullets are more similar to lead bullets than to jacketed bullets.

With lead bullets it is more the vaporized lead that condenses in the ports, much as lead accumulates on the baffles in a sound suppressor (silencer) used with a .22.

M1key
June 19, 2012, 12:55 AM
Federal Champion 9mm is notoriously low-powered and will not cycle reliably in most ported or compensated pistols.

M

Carl N. Brown
June 19, 2012, 01:01 AM
Come to think of it, if you are shooting light target loads, what would you need a compensator for? The reduced recoil reduced even further? Checking the subject of ported, compensated pistols, many appear to be set up for +P ammo from the get go, with the makers recommending hot ammo.

wkumatt
June 19, 2012, 02:03 AM
I've been here long enough to know better than question rcmodel. But the dwell time issue makes a lot of sense as well. If the rounds are significantly lower powered, then early gas release might lead to Fail to Feed, Fail to Extract issues.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Weevil
June 19, 2012, 02:23 AM
Hmmmm......low powered rounds with cheap plated bullets.

I think I'll spend a little extra for decent ammo even for my non-ported stuff.

CmdrSlander
June 19, 2012, 02:38 AM
My 1911 really likes them for some reason. Shoots better than WWB in it.

hentown
June 19, 2012, 08:27 AM
My 1911 really likes them for some reason. Shoots better than WWB in it.

That's your ported or compensated 1911, one would have to surmise? ;)

CmdrSlander
June 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
That would be my completely stock GI M1911, I have no ported or compensated pistols.

C0untZer0
June 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
Maybe they're worried about the rounds become squibs in ported barrels

kcshooter
June 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
Maybe they're worried about the rounds become squibs in ported barrels They aren't that low powered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Not Use in Firearms with Ported Barrels or Recoil Compensators" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!