Ever seen a belt on a belted magnum "grow"??

PDA

Craigman
June 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
I bought a partial box of .270WBY ammo a while back and after I shot the rest of the box off, I was going to reload it. All were properly resized but the ones that were fired in the previous gun will not chamber in my gun now. Length, shoulder height, and everything look within spec.

What I did notice though is that the belt is .010" bigger on the ones that wont fit.

I sharpie marked the case in all the spots of contact and I'm sure it's the belt being too big. Never seen this before.

Am I out of luck on these pieces. No big deal it's only 7. But thats like $7 in Wby money.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever seen a belt on a belted magnum "grow"??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 18, 2012, 08:44 PM
Yep!
It seems to be quite common on Weatherby calibers too.
I haven't seen it in other belted mag calibers, probably because most of them have looser chambers then Weatherbys.

My hunting buddy collects nice Weatherby rifles, and is always buying once-fired brass at gun shows.

This comes up, and he comes to me for help about once a year.

Although I'm not recommending it, what I do is chuck them up in the lathe and turn a couple thou off the expanded belt so they will fit in his rifle.

He never hot loads them so there has been no problem doing it.

This company makes a collet sizing die for the other belted mag sizing problem, of case expansion too close to the belt for a normal sizing die to touch it.
I don't think it will help with actual belt expansion though.
http://www.larrywillis.com/

rc

Craigman
June 18, 2012, 09:24 PM
thanks RC.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever seen a belt on a belted magnum "grow"??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!