What I learned on the bench last night

PDA

Beat-tu
June 19, 2012, 09:12 AM
I sat down last night to decap about 500 spent .357 brass. Here's what I learned:
1) Lee classic turret has a lot of leverage
2) The tip of the universal de-cap pin, driven by the leverage has a lot of force on a little bit of surface area
3) When the tip, driven by that leverage enters your left index finger just at the base of your finger nail, it makes a really loud screaming noise...oh wait...that was me...
4) With all this happening on top, the mouth of .357 case will cut the bottom of your finger.
5) Ultrasonic cleaners remove blood from .357 cases really well, but doesn't work worth a hoot on shirts, pants, the floor and the carpet.
6) You have to be really, really, really careful, even doing the simplest reloading step, cause you can get hurt... really.

Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "What I learned on the bench last night" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
June 19, 2012, 09:44 AM
Sometimes we really put ourselves into our work.

Hope you are OK. Been there, done that, definitely not fun.

Taurus 617 CCW
June 19, 2012, 10:17 AM
I did that with my first reloading press too but I didn't get cut. I ended up with a nice blood blister and a bruised fingernail. I haven't done it since. I am extra careful now to make sure the hand is out of the way before operating the ram.

kingmt
June 19, 2012, 11:00 AM
I have never did that but I have pinched my fingers seating bullets tho. Never really hurt myself.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
In over 30 years of reloading, I can fortunately say that I do not recall ever injuring myself, at all.

I guess I am extremely methodical and do my best to be patient and be totally unhurried when I am reloading. To me, reloading is like a very non-anxiety sport. When it becomes a "hurry-up and git-r-done" so I can hurry to the range and hurry to make accuracy, then I would want no part of that. To me, that would be defeating the whole purpose of reloading and shooting sports!

It would be like saying "I have 40 minutes to run down to the woods, hope I get a deer then come back and hurry up and go to my appointment in an hour." Basically, that would be a recipe for possible disaster.

jim243
June 19, 2012, 12:02 PM
Tom you should try forgetting to take your fingers out of the way when seating a bullet, lots of pain but no blood. You should hear that press swear then (Oh, Ya that was me too) (LOL)

Jim

Arkansas Paul
June 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
Well, they say you learn something new every day. You managed 6 things in one day. You're ahead of the game man. :)

Josh45
June 19, 2012, 01:01 PM
Ouch man, That sounds painful.
The worst I ever did was like Kingmt, Pinch my fingers when seating a bullet.
Learned from that mistake. Never again!
Oh, Have you ever hit your head in the bottom of the press before? Yeah, It hurts just as bad as you think it does.

beatledog7
June 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
But don't go thinking about taking five days off!

Sometimes it seems like you're not getting much neck tension--you know, the bullet is going in with so little resistance. But then you remember just how hard a reloading press can push...

I've never drawn blood, but I have been reminded a few times to keep my fingers clear of the business end of the ram.

homatok
June 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
To remove blood from shirts, pants, etc. pre-soak in water with some meat tenderizer added. Works well on bloody game bags! For the carpet---I don't know--.

Jeff H
June 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
I have never did that but I have pinched my fingers seating bullets tho. Never really hurt myself.

Been there, done that. It is really a shame that flat base bullets work so well at shorter ranges...

gamestalker
June 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yep, been there and done that, ouch! I've had more incidents with my Mec 600 Jr. than with metalic presses though.

GS

rcmodel
June 19, 2012, 02:57 PM
I feel for you.

Things I have learned include not running your left thumb through a Lyman 450 Lubrisizer .358 die with a SWC punch either.

File that one for reference if you ever get into bullet lubing & sizing.

BTW: It takes approximately 6-8 months to grow a new thumbnail.

rc

Pit4Brains
June 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
I left a hunk of thumb in a .357 case years ago while seating. Blood-lubed my press, I did.

Flintknapper
June 19, 2012, 03:55 PM
Yes, I have to admit to pinching a blood-blister (or two) on my index finger or thumb.

A mere "paper cut" compared to the OP's mishap. OUCH........! :eek:

T Bran
June 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
To get blood out of clothing put it in the washing machine using cold water only add 1 can diet coke and nothing else. Run cycle as normal you will be surprised at how well it works but only with diet regular wont work. A little tip from someone who has saved a lot of clothing.
Carpet is a whole different animal but I have had the best luck with a cold water scrub followed by a paste of Oxyclean. Be careful I didnt realise how dirty my carpet was till I thoroughly cleaned one spot lol.
T

Walkalong
June 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Compound leverage is a wonderful thing, but can hurt you if you aren't careful. I have come real close to doing the same thing. Most of us have. Just hold onto a bullet a hair too long and ....... crunch.

Bush Pilot
June 19, 2012, 04:19 PM
Ouch man, That sounds painful.
The worst I ever did was like Kingmt, Pinch my fingers when seating a bullet.
Learned from that mistake. Never again!
Oh, Have you ever hit your head in the bottom of the press before? Yeah, It hurts just as bad as you think it does.
You're either really really short or your bench is way too high.

Arkansas Paul
June 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
I've never brought blood, but I've crunched my thumb in the press a time or two to the point of having the purple thumbnail. It's not really what I would call a pleasant experience.

Certaindeaf
June 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
Ear protection is a fine addition to any reloading bench. ouch

GP100man
June 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
Have`nt done as serious as you but have pinched my fingers a time or 2

Hope no permanent damge is done & healing is fast !!

icanthitabarn
June 19, 2012, 11:53 PM
Hydrogen peroxide works pretty well on blood stains. Be careful out there

sellersm
June 20, 2012, 12:42 AM
Ouch! I've suffered various blood blisters and pinches, but not what you had. Hope you're on the mend! And +1 to the hydrogen peroxide tip.

Naterater
June 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
I hate when that decapping pin goes into your finger to cause an insane amount of pain, but doesn't bleed. It takes 2x as long to heal when it doesn't bleed.

788Ham
June 20, 2012, 01:04 AM
Yes, have pinched the snot out of my fingers a couple of times, think I'd have learned after the first! Didn't really notice any difference in how the cartridges shot with the blood in them though........ next time didn't hold onto the bullet so long! :banghead:

ArchAngelCD
June 20, 2012, 01:15 AM
Tom you should try forgetting to take your fingers out of the way when seating a bullet, lots of pain but no blood. You should hear that press swear then (Oh, Ya that was me too) (LOL)

Jim
I have done that too and if that's the worst ting I ever do to myself loading I can live with that. ( but only that one time, not again!)

Beat-tu,
Thanks for the reminder we can never be too careful...

Rodentman
June 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
Don't forget those safety glasses either!! All it takes is a little slip on a barrel bushing, and BOING....

41 Mag
June 21, 2012, 06:52 PM
I've got my pop's old Well's press. Solid cast and the spring and ball bearing which once upon a time would hold the ram in place when in the down position has long since vanished.

I cannot count the times that I have bumped that handle while doing something and had it slam down. I can however, very vividly, remember the 6 times I had my thumb or finger between it and the top when it did.

In 40 years of working with it for all sorts of loading related stuff, it has earned my respect.

As for the blood, I might have missed it, but give some Hydrogen Peroxide a try. Seems to work great on my clothes and the carpet according to my wife.

JSmith
June 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
OW! I can feel that from here!

I expanded the mouth of my left index finger the first time I used my Lee Classic. I'll try really hard to never do that again.

Hondo 60
June 21, 2012, 09:41 PM

Yes, & I'm bald as a babies butt too.

beatledog7
June 21, 2012, 11:31 PM
I banged my head on my press once, but on the way down vice up. Saw stars for a few seconds, then couldn't remember for what I'd been reaching down.

Next day I found a .165gr .40 bullet by the wheel of my chair. Guess that was it.

gahunter12
June 21, 2012, 11:39 PM

Yep! I have done that a time or two. LOL. Every time has been while loading 38spl.

If you enjoyed reading about "What I learned on the bench last night" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!