Sig Mosquito regret

PDA

fusion250
June 19, 2012, 10:42 PM
Bought the Sig today...I should have done research but went with the impulse buy. It looks great, feels great and has all the goodies with it but racking the slide it has issues with ejecting the shells. Hopefully it works better ejecting them when they are spent since they will be shorter and lighter. Does that make sense? Should have waited for the SR22.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Mosquito regret" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gennro
June 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
Be careful racking rimfire ammo in an auto loader, it is possible to set off a round. Also when you go to shoot it take some CCI mini-mags, it seems most autoloading handguns love those the most.

lathedog
June 19, 2012, 11:33 PM
Unless someone yanked it out, you shoud have a second recoil spring in the box. The manual explains how to tell the two supplied recoil springs apart and what ammo to use with each.

You might try giving your gun a good cleaning and then lightly re-oil.

I picked up a used one for a great price and suspect the prior owner was unhappy. It looked like it had been shot but had what appeared to be factory grease in it. The heavier spring for CCI minimags was installed. So far I am very happy with it, but it is picky on ammo brands when using low cost budget 22LR.

jp9mm
June 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
Have 2 .22semis, they both fail to feed or eject occasionally.
I mostly use the federal bulk ammo. It would be nice if all .22 autos would function 100% with the cheap stuff.

YankeeFlyr
June 20, 2012, 02:09 AM
I think the OP is referring to racking the slide by hand, not a cycling reliability issue...no?

4D5
June 20, 2012, 02:47 AM
Bought the Sig today...I should have done research but went with the impulse buy. It looks great, feels great and has all the goodies with it but

Like you, I did the same thing :banghead: Well after owning it for a while and dealing with ejection issues, I sold it. Quality was definitely not there either.

Fishslayer
June 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
1. Clean & lube. That hole in the right rear of the slide is an oil hole.

2. Make sure the light recoil spring is installed.

3. Make sure the little screw under the takedown pin lever is tight.

4. Run 500 rounds of 40gr CCI MiniMag solids through it.

5. Use only genuine SIG METAL magazines.

Should be good to go. Keep it clean & run it a bit wet. My wife's doesn't like Federal bulk but runs Remington Golden bulk OK. MiniMags & Remington Match are 100%.

JerryC
June 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
I've had a Sig Mosquito for a little over a year. Got the one with threaded barrel and use a suppressor with it. As long as I use CCI mini-mags I never have a problem. If I use bulk 22 ammo, I usually get a jam every 3 or 4 magazines.

Esoxchaser
June 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
If you change to the lighter spring it will run fine with bulk ammo.

BCRider
June 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
Fusion, you may want to PM one of the moderators and have them move this thread out of Revolvers and into Autoloaders.

If you're racking loaded rounds through the gun and it's lazy with ejecting them it's likely due to you racking the slide too slowly. Keep in mind that the gun snaps the slide back pretty fast. So you need to do the same.

And if you're doing this at home do be sure you are pointing it at something that'll suck up any AD that may occur. It's generally not a wise idea to be checking the functioning with live ammo. Instead get yourself some rimfire snap caps. But don't dry fire them. Keep them simply for function testing of this sort. If you dry fire on rimfire snap caps the rims will distort and become useless in short order.

Rimfire semi autos are VERY sensitive to the balance between the bullet weight and velocity and the recoil spring. A very slight shift too much in one will ruin the gun's operation. From all I've read about the Mosquito troubles it's likely that the recoil spring is just on the side of being a hair too stiff. So some examples of the gun cause lots of troubles and others work fine. And some, which are just enough too stiff to work with cheaper bulk ammo, will work fine with the stronger but premium price MiniMag ammo.

danweasel
June 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
There but for the grace of God go I. I was this close to buying a Mosquito but got talked into a Browning Buckmark. I have shot nothing but Blazer and American Eagle out of it and it's spectacularly reliable.

That said though, I still want a Mosquito!

Magoo
June 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
I really doubt this is the case with the Mosquito, but some .22 throats such as Bentz chamber will not reliably allow extraction of unfired ammuntion.

Special Projects
June 20, 2012, 09:17 PM
I have never had a single malfunction with mine using CCI Mini-Mag. It lives up to the operating manual.

skeeziks
June 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
If you want my opinion...I think you should shoot it first. If it has ejection problems with live fire, then the current problem will be moot.

Remember to use CCI....

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Mosquito regret" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!