Questions about a S&W M&P Pro

PDA

Copeland1990
June 20, 2012, 01:36 AM
I recently bought a M&P Pro in .40 S&W and was curious if anyone who owns one as well has had any notable success switching to conversion barrels for .357 SIG or A rumored 9mm conversion as well? Any reccomended places, advice, or tales would be greatly appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about a S&W M&P Pro" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rob G
June 20, 2012, 09:49 AM
I actually have the compact version as opposed to the pro but I've done exactly what you're proposing with my gun. I put a 357 sig barrel in it and as near as I can tell everything is fine. Now bear in mind that I literally just did it the other day so I haven't shot it yet. However I talked to a quite a few people on the S&W Forum who have done this and my understanding is that the only difference between the 40 and the 357 is the barrel itself. All the other parts are supposed to be the same. However if you want to convert to 9mm you have to change the magazines and make sure you have a conversion barrel specifically intended to change the 40 over to a 9.

As for barrels for the 40 to 357 conversion you have a number of options. KKM and Storm Lake both make barrels for this. I actually just called S&W and bought a factory 357 sig barrel which was about $90 shipped (again that's the compact size) and dropped right in. Plus if you like the blacked out barrel on the M&P that's what you'll get if you order one from S&W, I think the others consider that an upgrade. You may get a slight accuracy upgrade going with Storm Lake or KKM though so that's something to consider.

mgmorden
June 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
As stated, only difference between .40 and .357 is the barrels. Same mags and everything.

For 9mm, you have to get a conversion barrel intended to take a .40 gun to 9mm. All are aftermarket. Basically the outer diameter of the .40 barrel is wider than the factory 9mm barrel and so if you got a factory barrel it would rattle around in your slide. The aftermarket conversion barrels are wide enough to fit the .40 slide.

On some guns there is worry that the breechface & extractor from the .40S&W gun might not work well for 9mm, but S&W doesn't even change that in their factory setup between the two, so you'll be fine there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about a S&W M&P Pro" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!