.44 Mag Levergun Feeds LSWC

PDA

DaisyCutter
June 20, 2012, 12:22 PM
I recently purchased an old Interarms Rossi 92 in .44 mag. A prior owner must've worked the action over because it works really well.

For my first range trip I brought the .44Mag rounds I had on hand, a good amount of which were lead semi wadcutter (LSWC) 240 grainers.

The little Rossi feeds the LSWCs just fine. It spits 'em out as fast as I can crank it. It does tend to fling brass everywhere.

So here's my problem: I already ordered about 500 round nose flat point (RNFP) 240 grainers to load up for it. I had presumed it wouldn't feed the LSWCs so well.

While the RNFP looks more levergun appropriate in my opinion, I kinda like some of the properties of the LSWC. I've been told that against game, the LSWC has a higher smack factor. I don't hunt much, but I like unzipping 2-liter soda bottles, and I'm guessing a LSWC will put on a better water show.

I intend to use the rifle for plinking, because I reload .44 Mag and it's cheap for me. Shortly the rifle will get a scabbard and go horseback like a proper levergun. It may get deployed against a coyote.

Also, the big perfect holes the LSWC makes look real nice...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7074/7399818490_f788274a8f_z.jpg

This bullet order is from S&S casting. If their product is as good as I hear, then I'll order a bunchmore. If you were me, had a rifle that feeds LSWC perfectly, and you were preparing to order a big shipment of lead bullets, would you order RNFP or LSWC?

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Mag Levergun Feeds LSWC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
June 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
SWC's all the way.

blarby
June 20, 2012, 12:33 PM
TFC for me, but SWC is great if it continues to feed them reliably !

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Mag Levergun Feeds LSWC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!