##Serial Number??!

PDA

RonDeer10mm
June 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
My AR has a number under the gas block, it looks like a serial number but i'm not sure, does anyone know what the number under an AR gas block is? :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "##Serial Number??!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
adelbridge
June 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
i have seen twist and caliber stamped onto barrels. Each manufacturer has a unique stamp, proof marks or no markings at all on their barrels. the only place a serial number is required is on the lower receiver.

TurtlePhish
June 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
Pics? That could help us figure it out.

RonDeer10mm
June 21, 2012, 01:21 PM
So if I was buying an AR and they only had the A2 version and I wanted the A4 flattop and they said they could special order me one and I did while paying MSRP and they put the new A4 rifle upper on the old lower receiver from the A2 they had in stock and kept the newer lower receiver for themselves and put the A2 upper on the A4 rifle lower that I special ordered new from the factory and sold me their old lower with the new upper. How would I know this didn't happen??:confused::mad:

TurtlePhish
June 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
Might wanna try some commas or periods...

Simple answer is, unless you knew the serial of the old lower, you wouldn't know. Unless it was a different rollmark or obviously a different lower or something. It wouldn't make much of a difference though. I'd be fine with either one if I was you. I don't see why they'd change it, anyway. If you trust the shop that little, find a different shop.

rcmodel
June 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
You wouldn't.

AR-15 uppers are completely interchangable, and are not serial numbered to the lower.

rc

RonDeer10mm
June 21, 2012, 01:33 PM
for example lets say this is the SN - - - > XD1234556 the gas block has two letters and the 4 numbers, which looks like the beginning of a serial number ex. OP4570 but they don't match.

TurtlePhish
June 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
Could just be an inventory number from the factory. I've never had or seen a serialized barrel or upper.

RonDeer10mm
June 21, 2012, 01:37 PM
Maybe

RonDeer10mm
June 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
LOL I checked, I think it is an inventory number:banghead::D LOL

madcratebuilder
June 22, 2012, 06:59 AM
Public school?

If you enjoyed reading about "##Serial Number??!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!