love my new to me Marlin 39a

PDA

Ian Johnson
June 21, 2012, 02:13 PM
Picked up a nice pre saftey model 39a golden yesterday. I love the way this gun shoots, the smoothest 22lr Ive ever shot and cant wait to hit the squirrel woods with it this fall, thinking about a peep sight for it but not sure yet, anyone else a fan of these fine rifles? pics soon

thanks
Ian

If you enjoyed reading about "love my new to me Marlin 39a" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCPlinker
June 21, 2012, 03:37 PM
I like how they shoot, but hate the big button looking safety thing above the trigger. My .22 lever is a browning bl-22, lovely little gun. But whatever fries your squirrels:D

BullRunBear
June 21, 2012, 04:10 PM
My favorite 22 rifle. It's fully capable of minute of squirrel even if I'm not. I like the solid feel of the lever action.

BTW, there's a Marlin 39 club here on The High Road. Do a search. It's good reading.

Jeff

rcmodel
June 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
but hate the big button looking safety thing above the trigger.You might be talking about the take-down screw?

A very desirable feature which allows you to separate the rifle in half in 15 seconds and take the bolt out for cleaning from the breech end.

Another nice feature is, you can lock the spring loaded ejector down with another built-in screw so you don't break it off with a cleaning rod.

rc

mberoose
June 21, 2012, 06:56 PM
I'd love to get one some day, just need to work up the courage to spend that much on a .22.

proven
June 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
they're great guns! i have a williams peep sight on mine and love it. much better than the standard buckhorn sights.

mberoose, pony up and you won't regret it. people compain about spending high dollar on lowly little .22s, yet you can shoot them WAY more often for next to nothing.

Badlander
June 21, 2012, 08:35 PM
Great guns! I have the 39A and the 39A Mountie. Love them
Check out the 39A club lots of good stuff there.

Ian Johnson
June 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
it was a steal too, picked it up for 300 cash, not a speck of rust or scratch on it

sgtstryker
June 21, 2012, 09:52 PM
Well, it could be a safety.. My Mountie shoots sweet, all the kids have grown up on it. I can get a squirrel with a short when the neighbors ain't around.

shootniron
June 21, 2012, 10:55 PM
They are indeed GREAT rifles...bought a used one in 1987 and it is still going strong.

NCPlinker
June 22, 2012, 04:43 PM
You might be talking about the take-down screw
That's what that is? That is a nice feature, but i still think it looks bad. If they made it smaller, I might end up with a new .22(they are nice guns)

snakeman
June 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
pics?

bergmen
June 22, 2012, 05:46 PM
That's what that is? That is a nice feature, but i still think it looks bad. If they made it smaller, I might end up with a new .22(they are nice guns)

To me, the advantages of that take-down bolt far outweigh any concerns about looks. I've always seen it as a nifty characteristic of an exceptional rifle myself.

Dan

JohnBT
June 22, 2012, 05:51 PM
"and it is still going strong"

They hold up okay. I have a '63 Mountie. My uncle gave it to me. Dang, it's almost 50 and I'm even older.

If you enjoyed reading about "love my new to me Marlin 39a" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!