Scope extension piece??

PDA

FNP45
June 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
What is the purpose of the tube that screws onto the end scope to make the overall length longer. The scope I'm referring to is a Pride Fowler RR800. It has a roughly 4" section that goes on the end. Just curious what function it serves. Tried google with no luck.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope extension piece??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokey Joe
June 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
FNP 45--The tubular extension on the front of a 'scope--No optics, just a tube--is a sunshade. When you're shooting (for example) toward the west, in the late afternoon, it helps keep the sun out of your eye as you try to look into the 'scope to aim the firearm. On a really bright day it helps generally, no matter in what direction you're shooting.

The extension usually is threaded, and mates to threads inside the objective end of the 'scope.

Outdoor target shooter use 'em routinely. Hunters much less so, as it does make the 'scope that much longer and more unwieldy.

With my target guns that have extensions on the 'scope, I just leave 'em on. One less thing to adjust/decide on/fiddle with while setting up at the range.

tryshoot
June 21, 2012, 09:59 PM
Best answer ever. 100% right.

FNP45
June 21, 2012, 11:14 PM
Mucho Gracias Smokey!

I thought it was something along those lines, just couldnt find any info.

Thanks

madcratebuilder
June 22, 2012, 06:55 AM
I'll add it can stop sun reflection off the lens. They make a honeycomb like devise that fits the end of the scope that does the same thing as a 4" sun shade, it's a 1/4 inch long.

TurtlePhish
June 22, 2012, 01:59 PM
I'll add it can stop sun reflection off the lens. They make a honeycomb like devise that fits the end of the scope that does the same thing as a 4" sun shade, it's a 1/4 inch long.

Seems like this use would make more sense for military than civilian use. Does the killflash (one of the names for the "honeycomb") keep glare out of the scope for the shooter?

rcmodel
June 22, 2012, 02:02 PM
Whether or not it does, it is sure to degrade optical performance to some degree.

Even the best scope lens made wouldn't be as good looking through a honeycomb screen I betcha.

rc

taliv
June 22, 2012, 04:01 PM
the honeycomb device is called an ARD (anti reflective) and it isn't to limit light coming into the shooter's eye, but rather to prevent people downrange from seeing the glare off the objective lens.

however, as rcmodel said, it does of course reduce the inbound light a little. not enough for most people to notice though

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope extension piece??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!