20 ga, Unique, 1oz load

PDA

blarby
June 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
Given that Unique worked better than expected in 12 ga when I ran out of clays, looking to do some experimenting.

Plenty of recipes out there for 7/8 oz and Unique in 20ga...Useful, but not what I'm looking for.

Anyone out there successfully used Unique, in 20ga, with a 1oz load ?

If you enjoyed reading about "20 ga, Unique, 1oz load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
June 22, 2012, 01:33 AM
Sorry I can't help with a recipe but I just want to mention Unique was originally made as a shotgun powder. Bullseye was the pistol powder and 2400 was the rifle powder. It's no wonder Unique did so well for you and also why it's a dirty powder. (shotgun powders usually are)

FROGO207
June 22, 2012, 06:54 AM
I always figured that the dirt was to help the old time fiber wads seal to the hull so it was designed that way.:D Now the manufacturers figure why mess with success.:scrutiny:

Uniquedot
June 22, 2012, 12:46 PM
Anyone out there successfully used Unique, in 20ga, with a 1oz load ?

Yes, but 7/8 oz is really optimum for the 20.

FED. plastic hunting cases/paper base wad.
16.0 unique
FD 209A
FED 20s1
1 0z birdshot.

You can sub the 209A for a Win 209 and the wad to an AA20F1. I've used several other 1 oz. loadings, but i find 7/8 oz to work just as well if not better (nice even patterns) in the 20.

I just want to mention Unique was originally made as a shotgun powder.

Actually Unique was named Unique as it was Unique in that it was for rifle, pistol, and shotgun.

also why it's a dirty powder. (shotgun powders usually are)

Shotgun powders have been cleaned up in recent years including Unique which is quite clean burning now.

blarby
June 22, 2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the help, specillay to Graf- I'm waitin on that email !

I will give the one ounce, and the 7/8 a try, and let the intended shooter see which he likes best.

If you enjoyed reading about "20 ga, Unique, 1oz load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!