Inexpensive .223. Rossi Break-barrel?

PDA

Scott-NC
June 22, 2012, 07:08 PM
I've got an itch to get an inexpensive .223 rifle to plink with, with price and accuracy being more important than action and capacity. I'm hoping I can get something for $200-$300. I can have fun with it until I can put a scope on it if it doesn't come with one.

I was thinking about a Rossi break-barrel .223 with bull barrel. I've seen them on gun broker in the price range, but I don't know anything about them. Anyone have one? What do you think? Any other suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive .223. Rossi Break-barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
T Bran
June 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
Go to Buds guns and check out the Savage Axis packages. The last one I picked up was 330.00 this included the transfer fee on my end.
For the price it is a good shooter and includes a scope mounted and boresited.
Luck
T

wingman
June 22, 2012, 07:40 PM
I've never found the break open actin/two piece stock setup accurate although on the net many say they are,I had 2 of the H&R sportster both were poor even after tinker while my $140 Marlin 981T will shoot dime groups(50yards) out of the box.

Just in walmart today seen a Savage 223 for $299 much better then a single shot.

Dr.Rob
June 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
My dad spent a lot of time getting H&R Ultra varminters to 'work' right. You start handloading in break actions can 'break open' with the right combination of powder and pressure. That's not good. T/C's encore carbine is another matter.

The Axis might be a better long term value.

WALKERs210
June 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
I have one of the Rossi's .223 rifles and for me if I hit a barn size target then its good enough for me. But really mine shoots very good, and I have no doubts that a better person could do much better. And it was super cheap rifle picked this one up at a gun shop for $125.00 with a very nice scope on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive .223. Rossi Break-barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!