As promised, rifle pics...PTR-91F / Vortex Viper PST

PDA

Driftertank
June 23, 2012, 07:23 PM
Went to the range this morning to sight in my new Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP on my PTR. Used Hornady's "Steel Match" 155gr BTHP, fired from an improvised rest (car hood). Shot 5-rd groups, best was 1.75"@100yd, though a 2.5" group would have been 1.25" if not for the pulled/called flyer. All-in-all, a perfectly acceptable performance for a combat-derived semiauto with off the shelf ammo IMHO. Can't wait to build a handload, set up a proper rest, and really see what happens.

After the range trip we had a little photoshoot. The WASR belongs to the photographer...
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/object13/_MG_7762.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/object13/_MG_7764.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/object13/_MG_7765.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/object13/_MG_7766.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "As promised, rifle pics...PTR-91F / Vortex Viper PST" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Buck Kramer
June 23, 2012, 07:32 PM
Nice, I think 1.75" is plenty good.

TurtlePhish
June 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
Ooh, that's pretty. Very nice. 1.75" is combat accurate!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
June 23, 2012, 10:11 PM
Boy, oh boy, would I like one of those... Ugh, why do they have to be so expensive? LOL

Nice rifle, and nice groups!

taliv
June 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
i love the look of that rifle

nice pics! thanks for sharing

B!ngo
June 23, 2012, 10:35 PM
It's a beautiful piece. Enjoy it for many years to come. I hope to have one some day. Is the 'F' the standard barrel or the precision (?) barrel?
B

Driftertank
June 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
No problem!

Compared to REAL HK91's the PTR's are dirt-cheap. They're also cheaper than M1A's and most .308 AR's.

I've seen a lot of "DMR builds" on these that seem to be sort of halfhearted, or take shortcuts in equipment (cheaper optics, poorly implemented mount solutions) i wanted to take my time and build mine "right," to my own way of thinking. It's taken 3 years of saving pennies, but i'm very happy with how it turned out.

Like i said, ammo R&D is next. 2 MOA isn't bad, but i'm fairly sure 1 MOA is possible with round development. I've heard rumors of these things being near MOA out of the box with ammo like Fed. GMM 168. But the "Steel Match" i got locally for $40/50rd so on the strength of today's performance it may be my new "fallback" ammo while i work on setting up for making my own loads.

Also think my "improvised rest" wasn't helping with group size....but it keeps me honest; no sandbags or remote trigger. Just me, the rifle, and a stationary object to brace it against. :D

Driftertank
June 23, 2012, 11:13 PM
It's a beautiful piece. Enjoy it for many years to come. I hope to have one some day. Is the 'F' the standard barrel or the precision (?) barrel?

The F model is the old "Standard-target" bread-and-butter PTR model. My barrel is a Thompson/Center-contract barrel, and the flutes are cut too shallow; if the ammo i'm using has any sort of sticky sealant in it, the flutes gum up and cause extraction issues and velocity variations. I tried some HSM Match ammo last weekend that produced a +/- 2" group at 200 yds, but then started ejecting weakly and the groups grew to over 6". I was fairly disappointed.

But it eats Barnaul, Wolf, Tula, Fed AE, Rem/UMC, PMC Bronze, etc. and will get REAL dirty and still cycle.

The affected guns with flute problems appear to be AW serial numbers below 8,000 from what i understand.

FYI, the GI models will eat any ammo, from what i've heard, but i don't know if they group as tight or consistent as the F's.

twitchyfinger
October 14, 2013, 05:44 PM
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but does snyone anyone know what brand and or more more importantly what height the rings are on that ptr91? Tried messaging the OP over a month ago but he is MIA with no reply. I have the exact same scope I am trying to put on my ptr and wondering if those rings pictured are med or high rings? They also look like Burris XTR rings??? Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

dvdcrr
October 14, 2013, 08:49 PM
Those are weaver tactical rings, they look like high rings to me but couldbe xtra high. What is the scope mount thats what I want to know.

twitchyfinger
October 14, 2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for posting and yeah I think you're right either wraver or blackhawk? At At least thats what I can compare the top top half to. That scope mount is an MFI low profile mount you can find them at hkparts.net I have and prefer the B&T HK scope mount but they are hard to find in stock.

fireside44
October 14, 2013, 09:46 PM
Not a big fan of the PTR/HK91/Cetme type guns but that is a good lookin' DM machine! I am almost certain you will pull better groups with load development. Just using some quality brass cased stuff, such as Hornady Custom 150 grain or SSTs might show some real improvement. Nice!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "As promised, rifle pics...PTR-91F / Vortex Viper PST" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!