Which scope mount for Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk 3?

PDA

Eb1
June 24, 2012, 09:36 PM
What the subject says.

I am thinking of taping my 1943 Enfield No. 1 Mk 3.

I'd like to use it for shooting 600 to 800 yards. I can shoot my AR 15 that far with A2 sights, but the classic sights for the .303 Mk3 just aren't for me. I'd like to put a scope on this old classic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which scope mount for Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk 3?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
303 hunter
June 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
Buy one that's already been sporterized;they are very affordable. I bought a #4 two years ago that had been(correctly?)sporterized for $75. The barrel was cut and crowned to 22". Nice walnut sporter stock,and S&K scope mount. With a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope it was VERY accurate. I did some research,and found it was originally a #4 T sniper rifle. This rifle would be worth several thousand $ in original condition. Just my 2 cents worth.

Eb1
June 24, 2012, 10:06 PM
Yeah. My no1 mk3 is in very, very good condition, and has all numbers matching. It is a Lithgow from 1943. Not really wanting to, but would like to get some peeps or the like for it. The v style sights just aren't for me.

I'll take it out for fun anyway. LOL

303 hunter
June 24, 2012, 10:56 PM
You could get a scout mount that replaces the rear sight. Then you could return it to original if desired.

Joshua M. Smith
June 25, 2012, 01:47 AM
What the subject says.

I am thinking of taping my 1943 Enfield No. 1 Mk 3.

I'd like to use it for shooting 600 to 800 yards. I can shoot my AR 15 that far with A2 sights, but the classic sights for the .303 Mk3 just aren't for me. I'd like to put a scope on this old classic.

I'm sort of an experimental archaeologist, and being such I'd try to find an original or repro mount and 'scope for it to see what the setup would do.

Otherwise, what .303 Hunter said. Problem is that the only mount I can find for it, the S&K, gets bad ratings at Brownell's.

Regards,

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o560/Smith-Sights/llc20sig.jpg

wnycollector
June 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
I had the S&K mount on my 1966 Ishapore Enfield before I sold the rifle in a fit of stupidity! I found the mount to be a rock solid platform for a scope. The one caveat is that the scope (in my case an vintage Weaver K4) sits very high even with low rings. I added a wooden cheek rest and I was good to go.

351 WINCHESTER
June 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
I have a sk mount on my jungle carbine and have hunted with it and shot it for about 5 years without any problems whatsoever. The mount is rock solid.

dprice3844444
June 25, 2012, 12:45 PM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SKM-1370
http://www.amazon.com/ATI-303-Enfield-Scope-Mount/dp/B000KOS0Q2
http://www.mailitall.com/installation/ATI/ENF0113_instructions.pdf

paintballdude902
June 25, 2012, 12:47 PM
if y just want better sights check out mojo sights and go with a thinner front post

Robert
June 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah. My no1 mk3 is in very, very good condition, and has all numbers matching. It is a Lithgow from 1943.
Ok, I am going to be that guy. If it is in that good of condition and all the numbers match you would be ruining a fine rifle by drilling and tapping it. Replacing the rear right is one option but if you'd ever think about selling it drilling and tapping will kill the value.

wlewisiii
June 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
I had the S&K mount on my 1966 Ishapore Enfield before I sold the rifle in a fit of stupidity! I found the mount to be a rock solid platform for a scope. The one caveat is that the scope (in my case an vintage Weaver K4) sits very high even with low rings. I added a wooden cheek rest and I was good to go.
^^^^ This. If you glue the cheek piece on you can walk back your rifle to original condition when you want to as well. It's how I put a Weaver K4 on my Ishapore 2A.

xerxesthecat
June 25, 2012, 07:37 PM
I agree with all the people saying not to do anything permanent. A historic rifle is exactly what it is, and should not be 'modified' into anything else, any more than someone should attempt to modify a cow into a bull. If you want milk, dont buy a bull, and if you want a peep sight, buy a rifle that was issued that way. I have seen everything from SS marked 98k rifles 'sporterized' into worthlessness to a mauser lowe action rebarreled to 7mm rem mag. So if a part doesnt snap on/off without leaving a mark, its always wise to reconsider.... or buy a rifle that has already been chopped. good shooting!

Joshua M. Smith
June 26, 2012, 08:33 AM
The logic of not modifying makes no sense to me. Yes, it's historic. So are any number of H&R single shots and revolvers. Folks don't think twice about doing stuff to them.

Further, by the "do not modify" logic, the M28/76 rifle should not exist. Neither should any of these:

http://www.molot.biz/product-e/index.php

... even though they're produced by MOLOT.

I mean, where does it end, really? Mosins are still being used in service today, and I'd hazard a guess that not all the current sniper versions started out that way.

As well, I've seen SKS rifles altered to be urban sniper rifles. This is over in the sandbox, not somebody with a Tapco kit here.

Certain firearms I believe it would be foolish to alter, say, a genuine Hickok revolver, but ultimately it's up to the owner.

I am a person who is not a big fan of sporterized military firearms. I just believe that the difference between folks who have tattoos and those who don't is that those who have tattoos don't care if you don't...

Just some thoughts.

Josh

Robert
June 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
Ok there is a vast difference in an Army making making a modification to a weapon for use in combat and someone taking a somewhat difficult to find collectors item and adding a scope to it. For what a near excellent condition Lithgow No1 MkIII* could fetch on the open market one could by 4 or 5 Mosins at the local sporting goods store.

but ultimately it's up to the owner
Absolutely. And at the end of the day if he decides that he wants to chop the stock and shorten the barrel as well it is his right to do so. All I am saying is there are plenty of already cut up rifles out there that can be had cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which scope mount for Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk 3?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!