Vortex or ?

PDA

longrange308
June 25, 2012, 12:58 AM
I am looking to purchase a new scope for my Remington 700 sps tactical .308, I bought the rifle a while back and it's just kinda sit there as I have other projects in the works. I was looking at the online stores and the models are endless, I have read reviews, but they are vague at best. I am looking to spend around what the rifle cost $500-$600, I don't want to drop $Nightforce kinda money on a stock rifle, but I do wan't the most scope for the money. The rifle will be used for paper punching exclusively so I need a scope for that purpose.

I would like to cut through the red tape and countless hours of online shopping, if you guys could recommend some specific models in the $500-$600 price range it would be great.

I have heard some good things about Vortex

If you enjoyed reading about "Vortex or ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
June 25, 2012, 01:02 AM
Vortexes are quite good. SWFA as well. But remember, money spent on a good scope is a drop in the bucket compared to ammo cost over time, and a good scope is something that'll last forever. Might be worth it to shell out for a high-end scope. And why not on a stock rifle? If the rifle shot well enough I wouldn't hesitate to pay for a NF or S&B (provided I could afford it).

Kachok
June 25, 2012, 01:03 AM
Guys here seem to like the SWFA scopes, I am looking for a scope for my 1,000yd rifle build, and I am almost settled on a 16x fixed power SWFA on a 300WSM Savage platform.

Driftertank
June 25, 2012, 01:20 AM
Heard lots of good things about Vortex, got a Viper PST FFP for my PTR. Few more widgets on it than i had planned for when i started shopping, but the glass is good, the widgets all work as advertised, and after using them i'm getting spoiled. Is it the best available? No, but it's all the scope I'll ever need, and i got a good price (call up Scott at Liberty Optics, tell him you're on THR, he'll treat ya right). And if the scuttlebutt is true, if it ever breaks, Vortex will be more than happy to resolve the issue.

Best scope - by far - that i've ever owned, but that's not necessarily saying much. Myself and most the people i know are too poor for the truly high-end stuff.

viking499
June 25, 2012, 01:27 AM
Vortex is good. I like the Nikon Buckmasters scopes. I have 5 of them.

saenzrich
June 25, 2012, 01:36 AM
Liberty optics is who I got my Vortex through and he gives 10% off to THR members....saved me 50.00...shipped free too...But i just like Vortex scopes they are very high quality scopes and they could charge more than they do but they dont...net yet at least

steveo452
June 25, 2012, 01:45 AM
I own 3 Vortex Viper scopes. Two 2-7x32 W/bdc and a 6.5-20x50 W/ target Dot they are great scopes, Very close To the Leupold VX3 scopes for way less money and as good a warranty.

longrange308
June 25, 2012, 01:49 AM
I am having a custom built on a FNH-USA action in 300 WSM and I am fairly sure its going to get a Nightforce.

I am looking at the SWFA and Vortex for the Remington 700 SPS Tactical, not sure how much I should raise my original spending limit above $500-$600, but I guess I could, I could, I might, and I probably will.

steveo452
June 25, 2012, 02:08 AM
Check out Sightron scopes they make a very nice 4-16x42 TD for just a little over $600.00 It's the SII Big Sky model.

chaser_2332
June 25, 2012, 08:41 PM
vortex are great optics back by even better people. I have 2 razors and a pst and i run them all hard. If anything does go wrong scott or sam will hook up right up.

jmr40
June 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
I've been pleased with several Vortex products, but not their lower end products. With a $600 budget I'd be buying a Zeiss Conquest though.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 25, 2012, 09:02 PM
I have a Vortex Viper PST on my SPS Tactical AAC-SD, it works great.. I also love the Bushnell Tactical Elite, I have one on my 50 cal. and love it too. You can never buy "too good of a scope" IMHO. Leupold and SWFA are grat choices also...

EchoM70
June 25, 2012, 09:07 PM
For the price and features/quality I believe a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF would be almost perfect for what your looking for. I've always had good results from my Monarchs and when your punching paper a side focus/adjustable parallax is a must. Vortex is great scopes, I've had a couple of Vipers and I've had no complaints what so ever. But for something like a Viper PST you're really pushing that $600 limit. IIRC, My 4-16x50 Viper PST was $700 or maybe a little more while the Monarch cost $400.

arizona98tj
June 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
I run a Vortex Viper PST FFP on my Savage .308. Good glass and nice features. Used it in a precision rifle course and it was great. Can't comment on the lower end Vortex units, haven't tried any of them.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
The lower priced Vortex are good achoices. The glass isnt quite as good, but still a very nice scope. The warranty is a plus too.

longrange308
June 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
I am raising my spending limit between $800-$1000+, but not too much +

proven
June 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
i have a vortex viper pst ffp on my 700p .308. i also have a swfa ss 10x42 sf on my cz455 .22.

both are fantastic for the money. i haven't done a side by side glass comparison, but i would say you'd be happy with either.

i would suggest that you consider what range you'll be shooting at most. for me, the 10x does ninety percent of what i want. i just had it out this afternoon shooting my .22 from 50 yards out to 300 yards. it'll focus down to 10, but i rarely shoot under 50.

my only issue with the vortex is that at 16x the crosshair is a touch thick for my liking, but, being ffp, you'll have that tradeoff. any thinner and at 4x you wouldn't be able to see it.

i haven't spent enough time with either to make a solid decision, but as of now i can see myself possibly preferring the simplicity of the fixed 10x........maybe.

EchoM70
June 25, 2012, 09:31 PM
I am raising my spending limit between $800-$1000

In that case, Vortex Viper PST all the way, just make sure you get one with a first focal plane. perhaps something like this one?:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44560.aspx

mshootnit
June 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
weaver grand slam 6-20X

proven
June 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
if you are paper punching only, especially at known distances on a square range, i would say that ffp isn't necessary. also you might want to consider a target dot reticle or something similar.

EchoM70
June 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
if you are paper punching only, especially at known distances on a square range, i would say that ffp isn't necessary.

What a FFP reticle does is magnify the reticle also, meaning mildots, holdover marks, etc... will remain the same no matter the magnification power. On a SFP reticle the reticle does not change meaning any reticle markings would be only accurate on one power setting. For example a SFP reticle with holdover points 1 MOA apart at 14x would be 2 MOA apart at 7x. With a FFP reticle the holdover points remain 1 MOA all throughout the magnification range.

FFP reticles are very helpful when using scopes with reticle markings such as mildots, and when shooting long range. In my opinion they're helpful when target shooting, not needed but helpful.

longrange308
June 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
I'm strongly considering the:

SWFA SS 5-20X50 Tactical 30mm
-Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Retical
-30mm
-HD Model
-Locking Ocular Adjustment
-0.1 MRAD Elevation & Windage
-10 Mils Per Revolution
-30 Mils Of Total Travel
-Slide Focus
-$1,299.95

Or, should I go for something else?

longrange308
June 25, 2012, 09:54 PM
In that case, Vortex Viper PST all the way, just make sure you get one with a first focal plane. perhaps something like this one?:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44560.aspx
I hadn't saw that one, its nice.

proven
June 25, 2012, 10:35 PM
echom70, i'm well aware of what ffp scopes do. i have one, as you would have noted had you read my previous comment.

making the reticle larger is my minor complaint for punching paper. if you are punching paper at known distances, you likely don;'t need to use the reticle to range and at greater distances you liekly aren't going to be able to see you hits to use the reticle for correction anyway. therefor, for paper punching only, a target dot may make more sense.

i prefer some form of mildot reticle on all of my scopes, but then, i'm not just paper punching either. and i like to mix it up between dialing and using holdover.

proven
June 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
longrange, at what distnaces are you looking to shoot?

Driftertank
June 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
Does SWFA have the 6-24x Viper PST in stock?

I ask because when i talked to Scott at Liberty, he was saying he had some on back order for several months, and I saw one in person at a LGS a few months ago, it belonged to the shop owner and he mentioned he'd "waited a long time for that one."

Just might want to check before ordering.

Vortex mid-range optics seem to be selling like hotcakes right now, and supply can't seem to keep up with demand. That's the only downside i see.

longrange308
June 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
longrange, at what distnaces are you looking to shoot?
As far as a 20inch barrel .308 Winchester will let me.

proven
June 25, 2012, 11:16 PM
i see. so you don't really know.

are you looking to punch paper at 1k? does your local range only go to 400?

you're asking for suggestions, so you need to provide some info. otherwise just go buy the first scope that cathes your eye, and then you can sell it a month from now when it doesn't do what you want.

longrange308
June 25, 2012, 11:29 PM
My range goes to 500 yards or so, but I think I am going to do some traveling on the weekends, my friends who shoot 1K told me about a place they go, so I think I will join them. I want to shoot out to 1K.

longrange308
June 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
Is the Vortex 6-24X50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope a good choice for 1K shooting, or should I go with the SWFA SS 5-20X50 Tactical 30mm?

TonyAngel
June 26, 2012, 02:34 AM
What kind of shooting are you going to be doing? Tactical type at relatively large targets or precision?

If you're going to be shooting tactical, many will say that a 3-15X should get you out to 1000 yards and more, although I like magnification and never use less than 6X, so I'd prefer something in the 22 to 24X range. A FFP scope might also be advantageous if you are going to be ranging with the scope. There's just less math involved.

If you're going to be doing precision shooting, I'd definitely go with something in the 22 to 24X range. I'd also seriously consider getting something with a SFP reticle. Tactical scopes with FFP reticles in your price range tend to have heavier reticles that cover more of the target. The Vortex 6-24X PST, for example. The reticle of the FFP model, at max magnification, covers a lot more of the target than the SFP model does, at max magnification.

For precision shooting, I'd also consider something with an MOA setup, rather than a mil setup. The adjustments on an MOA setup are finer.

I do mostly precision shooting, so my preferred optic is the 5.5-22X50 Nightforce with an NP-R1 reticle, which has a SFP reticle. If I was shopping for something in your price range, I'd take a serious look at either the Sightron or the Vortex PST. I don't think the build is as robust as you would find on a Nightforce or USO, but the glass is pretty darned good.

Either the Vortex or the Sightron has enough internal elevation to get you out to 600 with a .308 coming out of a 20" barrel.

longrange308
June 26, 2012, 03:54 AM
What about this:

http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48419.aspx

Ridgerunner665
June 26, 2012, 04:01 AM
Mine is for a different application (hunting, not targets)...but I just ordered a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44...

If I get home this week maybe I can give an opinion of it...its my first Vortex...my expectations are high.

Ridgerunner665
June 26, 2012, 04:07 AM
As far as a 20inch barrel .308 Winchester will let me.

In most cases....that about 900 yards...but there are a few exceptions (moly'd bullets, hot loads, and better than normal barrels)

My SPS Tactical had a slower barrel...I could muster 2,600 fps with warm loads but it was hard on the brass. I finally slowed them down to 2,520 fps (168 NBT's) and settled on 800 yards as being far enough. The long throats in Remingtons can be hard to work with sometimes...

longrange308
June 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
"If I get home this week maybe I can give an opinion of it...its my first Vortex...my expectations are high."

A review would be nice.

wickedsprint
June 26, 2012, 08:44 AM
Pm sent.

Ridgerunner665
June 30, 2012, 01:48 AM
I've been home a few hours now and have been neck deep in comparing scopes...My sons Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 against my Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44....

The Nikon cost right at $400 and is a very good scope IMO....The $500 Vortex is another rung up the ladder though.

The Vortex provides a clearer, brighter, sharper image...plain and simple. I've seen many folks equate the Viper HS to the VX II's...I think those folks have their scopes mixed up, they have to be thinking the regular Viper is the Viper HS...because the Viper HS is clearly (very clearly) well up into VX III territory.

The V-Plex reticle is thin....really thin the first time you look at it, but you get used to it after a while...I sat out there until it got dark looking through both scopes (the Nikon is a Mil-Dot) and by the time I lost the reticle in the Vortex it was well after legal shooting hours (1/2 hour after sunset)...I took some pics through both scopes (pics taken with a cell phone...the pics don't do either scope justice)

Across the holler behind my house....440 yards exactly to that small cedar (you can see it better through the scopes)
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/Untitled-12.jpg

Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF on 8x...my sons scope.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/photobucket-12258-1341025862439.jpg

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 on 8x...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/photobucket-12260-1341025844340.jpg

The Nikon on 14x...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/photobucket-12658-1341025823203.jpg

The Vortex on 16x...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/photobucket-12654-1341025810955.jpg

There is a noticeable difference in the lens coatings...both have their good and bad points...the Nikon shows a little more contrast, but the Vortex is much clearer, cleaner image (even though the pics don't really show it) ...clear all the way to the edge with "ZERO" distortion...none.

The Vortex has so much eye relief (a solid 4") it took me a few minutes to get used to it, LOL...and it doesn't change when you crank up the power. The Nikon changes alot as the power goes up...

Eyebox...Vortex calls it "ultra-friendly" eyebox technology...and it is. Even on 16x keeping the image is not a problem, there is a little room for movement before it washes out. The Nikon on 14x...washes out really quick if you move at all.

My vote is in...I've owned a couple of $600 Leupolds...the Vortex HS has it beat. (same quality, costs $100 less).

I do think Vortex should expand its reticle choices though...most folks are gonna be afraid of that thin reticle. I was myself but decided to try it anyway and I think I'm gonna like it just fine...that said, a slightly thicker option would be nice. The current V-Plex subtensions are .25 MOA for the thick part and .08 MOA for the thin part.

I think more people would be willing to try them if they offered one slightly thicker....about .5 MOA for the thick part and .1 MOA for the thin part.

Again...the V-Plex reticle is REALLY nice as it is IMO...but I was reluctant to try it. Glad I did though!!!

That is to say (in case somebody from Vortex reads this)....don't get rid of the current V-Plex, just offer a slightly heavier one as an option.

SilentStalker
June 30, 2012, 03:01 AM
I don't know if it is the pics, my monitor, my eyes or what but in the pictures you posted the Nikon looks clearer to me. However, both are excellent scopes for the dinero. I think you did a fine job going with the Vortex. My next scope will be a Nightforce. I just hope it is all they are cracked up to be considering it will be about $1000 more than I normally drop on scopes.

Ridgerunner665
June 30, 2012, 05:32 AM
Its just the pictures, the cell phone camera sux....but if you look closer at the higher magnification pictures you can tell the Vortex is clearer.

Pictures through a scope never tell the true tale anyway...too many lenses messing with the image.

TonyAngel
July 1, 2012, 12:06 AM
All of the Vortex scopes are very nice for the price from the Viper line on up.

Silent, if you're looking to get into a Nightforce for the glass quality, you may be disappointed. Don't get me wrong. Nightforce is my preferred brand of scope and I run them on rifles that are used for more than just range shooting; but the glass isn't $1000 better than that of a Vortex PST or an SIII Sightron. What you're paying for is the build.

If superior glass quality is what you want but don't want to spend the money on a S&B or Premiere, then I'd suggest that you take a look at the Swarovskis.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vortex or ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!