Ruger Ultra Light

PDA

JustinNC
June 25, 2012, 09:38 AM
Anybody know anything about the M77 Ultra Light? It appears Ruger doesnt make this gun anymore, but CDNN has it listed. Sharp looking gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Ultra Light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snag
June 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
I have an M77 ultra light in 243. I do believe the weight saving differences are a slender shorter barrel and a shorter forearm.

JustinNC
June 25, 2012, 09:57 AM
I love the looks. The forearm cap sets it off for me.

Still Shooting
June 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
My wife has an M77 Ultralight in .243 - she likes it. We have found that it only takes about 3 rounds to heat up the barrel, so rest time is necessary for shooting groups on the range. But we've both carried it hunting, and it is a nice short, light hunting rifle. If cool-down time is allowed for shots 4 and 5, it is an easy 1 MOA shooter (I load it pretty "hot" with Nosler 100gr. Partitions). With lighter loads and less powder, it has less barrel heating, and will shoot longer before it needs to cool.

I would not recommend the rifle for something like prairie dog shooting, but as a deer rifle it's much appreciated by mid-afternoon walking uphill in thick cover!;)

JustinNC
June 25, 2012, 10:31 AM
My wife has an M77 Ultralight in .243 - she likes it. We have found that it only takes about 3 rounds to heat up the barrel, so rest time is necessary for shooting groups on the range. But we've both carried it hunting, and it is a nice short, light hunting rifle. If cool-down time is allowed for shots 4 and 5, it is an easy 1 MOA shooter (I load it pretty "hot" with Nosler 100gr. Partitions). With lighter loads and less powder, it has less barrel heating, and will shoot longer before it needs to cool.

I would not recommend the rifle for something like prairie dog shooting, but as a deer rifle it's much appreciated by mid-afternoon walking uphill in thick cover!

Deer rifle. Don't shoot a lot except for sighting in. Not deer rifles anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Ultra Light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!