Spray on Lube problems and cracked casings

PDA

pilotlight
June 25, 2012, 02:36 PM
OK, you guys have never let me down on my ???'s before.
So, here goes.

1. I want to use either Cabelas or Hornady One Shot lube on my RIFLE cases for
resizing. Last month, I stuck a case in my .223 die when using One Shot. A little worried about using again, but would like to give it a go. Probably didnt follow the directions correctly!
Can someone help me here with tips on using this? Previously, I was using Redding Sizing Wax and would like to start using spray lubes.

2. Has anyone here ever encountered problems with reloading casings with ever-so-small cracks in the case necks? Usually, resizing and case trimming takes care of this, but was just curious.

I shoot my loads through a DPMS 308 with no problems before, but would also like to know how many loadings do your casings get when running through a semiauto. appreciate your advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spray on Lube problems and cracked casings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scythefwd
June 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
Shake the hell our of the can. While shaking, start to spray case...i also spray inside the case mouth a little...

pilotlight
June 25, 2012, 02:47 PM
OK, I'll do that. How many firings do your casings get through your semiauto before tossing?

rcmodel
June 25, 2012, 02:50 PM
Be sure and let it dry for a few minutes to get rid of all the solvent in it.

When it dries, it should be just lube, not solvent laden watery lube.

rc

MtnCreek
June 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
Shake the hell our of the can

Be sure and let it dry for a few minutes to get rid of all the solvent in it.

+1 for both... I use heavy built large boxes (like a flat rate box). Give them a little spray and shake. Then another little spray and shake again. Like RC said, let it completly dry before sizing.

cfullgraf
June 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
I have never had success with One Shot on rifle cases. I have tried letting dry, spraying a lot, spraying a little (real bad choice), shaking in a bag and a couple things I do not remember.

Works great on 30 Carbine though.

I feel it is not very efficient. What a can costs $10 or so. In a year, I have gone through 3 or 4 cans. I am only on my third bottle of RCBS case pad lubricant after 30 years of reloading. I am still using my first can of Imperial sizing wax after 15 years. Total cost has been less than what I have spent on One Shot.

scythefwd
June 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
cfullgraf.. I use it on my .308 (thick stuff, harder to resize than my 30-06) and .30-06. I only stuck one case.. and thats because I was trying to lube every other round.

pilot.. depends on the brass and the load and how nice your semi is to the brass.

A tight chamber means less sizing is required..
full house loads wear brass quickr
some brass just don't last as long

for a rifle.. I'd expect 5-6 reloadings

pilotlight
June 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
"for a rifle.. I'd expect 5-6 reloadings"

Scythe, I am probably on the 6th or 7th loading now. Cases
still look pretty decent. I am using LC, Federal, Winchester, Remington
SBS, PPU and Hornady cases.

jmorris
June 25, 2012, 03:31 PM
I stuck two cases with oneshot, now use only Dillon lube with progressives.

If you anneal the cases before you size the cracks you are getting will go away.

scythefwd
June 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
pilot.. caliber also makes a difference.. I was being conservative.. but start checking for case head stretching internally man..

MtnCreek
June 25, 2012, 03:35 PM
Scythe, I am probably on the 6th or 7th loading now. Cases
still look pretty decent.

You need to keep an eye on them. 7 reloads in a semi-auto is getting long in the tooth. If you haven't been checking them for potential head seperation problems, you should start.

pilotlight
June 25, 2012, 03:36 PM
308 cases.
how do you personally check for case head stretching?

scythefwd
June 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
take a hanger and cut off a couple inches. Straigten it out, and then put a hook on the end of it. Run that hook along the inside of the case, from base to neck. If you feel a "dip" on the inner wall.. pitch it.

I'll post a pic of my tool I use later.

If you see a bright ring around the case just above the head.. another BIG sign.

I'm running some .308 loads in match brass that might actually survive that much working.. but no guarantees.

USSR
June 25, 2012, 03:46 PM
I stuck a case in my .223 die when using One Shot. A little worried about using again, but would like to give it a go. Probably didnt follow the directions correctly!
Can someone help me here with tips on using this? Previously, I was using Redding Sizing Wax and would like to start using spray lubes.

Save the One Stuck spray lube for straight wall pistol cases. The Redding/Imperial Sizing Die wax is much better suited to bottleneck cases.

Don

pilotlight
June 25, 2012, 03:46 PM
If you see a bright ring around the case just above the head.. another BIG sign.
You mean a bright ring around the base or case head?

MtnCreek
June 25, 2012, 03:49 PM
Above the head and not to be mistaken for the ring that the die sometimes leaves where it stops sizing. Search here and you'll find lots of stuff and photos.

scythefwd
June 25, 2012, 03:54 PM
Here is the tool I use. This is a brass case that actually fails the test listed above. i pitched all of the obvious cases... my camera on my phone wont pick up the slight ring starting to show.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h372/scythefwd/IMG_20120625_154723.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h372/scythefwd/IMG_20120625_154742.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h372/scythefwd/IMG_20120625_154754.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h372/scythefwd/IMG_20120625_154758.jpg

pilotlight
June 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
I found the link
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6490262&postcount=8

scythefwd
June 25, 2012, 03:58 PM
that would do.. very well

pilotlight
June 25, 2012, 04:19 PM
AR10-style guns tend to be gentle on brass which may explain why I have gotten more than 5 reloadings out of them successfully. But, with that said, I am going to be checking all of them more closely for that weakening of the case.

1KPerDay
June 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
Save the One Stuck spray lube for straight wall pistol cases. The Redding/Imperial Sizing Die wax is much better suited to bottleneck cases.

Don
+brazillion

zxcvbob
June 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
I've been using Dillon Spray Lube (pump bottle of alcohol and lanolin) on .223 cases and it works great. The trick is to wait for the alcohol to evaporate off. When this bottle is finally empty, I'm going to try mixing my own refill using alcohol and castor oil.

One Shot should be adequate for .30 Carbine with carbide dies, and pistol brass with non-carbide dies. (otoh, so is Gunk silicone spray, but keep that stuff away from your primers)

scythefwd
June 25, 2012, 04:32 PM
I wiuld love to see what u guys are doing wrong to stick cases with it. 223 is gonna size way easier than 06 or 308

Josh45
June 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
Used Hornady One Shot with 30-30 with no problems before.
And I sized them right after I lubed them. I did shake that can quite a bit and made sure to get all sides of the case and the case mouth to just for good measure.

Because I load test loads for my 30-06, I prefer to use Mink Oil. Works great for me with no problems what so ever. Used it on .308 as well. No problems there either. I never did try to reload a case with a cracked neck in rifle cause of the dangers that come along with it. But if trimming and sizing helps get rid of it...I would still be cautious about it.

Jeff H
June 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
I've had good luck with one shot and 223 as well. Larger brass gets Imperial sizing wax though.

Snag
June 25, 2012, 09:06 PM
First time I tried to load some bottleneck rifle with One Shot I stuck a case. Started using Imperial Sizing Wax after reading all the positive comments here, it's like a gazillion times better.

If I see a crack anywhere I get rid of it.

zxcvbob
June 25, 2012, 09:59 PM
I use Mink Oil to lube .30-06 cases. I don't load any in-between rifle cartridges, just .30-06, and .223

Madpap
June 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
I've had great luck with Lyman's spray and .223.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreddyKruger
June 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
I like to give a quick squirt into the dies too.

pilotlight
June 26, 2012, 09:54 AM
All excellent information, everyone.
I have been second-guessing my reloading lately. I have reloaded around 10,000+ rounds of 308, 223 and 40SW with good success. Then I start reading about 'headspacing' and such am wondering if I am doing something wrong. Well, I screw the resizing die all the way to the shellplate for zero headspace, since I am reloading for a semiauto. Learned this by having chambering issues when the die was not sizing the whole case. All brass shows no overpressure signs, no flattened primers and very 'clean' looking brass. I load pretty modest loads, about in the middle of the data spectrum. I use Hodgdon powders, so Hodgdon Data Center is my friend.

Most of my primer pockets still maintain a good, firm grasp of the new primer without signs of an enlarged pocket. OK, maybe one piece out of 400 pieces. :)
But, life is good.

X-Rap
June 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
I tried one shot once and went back to the Dillon, I am now giving the Cabelas pump bottle spray a try. I must say the Dillon stuff is hard to beat and I have used it on brass from 222-378 without failure.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 26, 2012, 11:20 AM
I had bad luck with the One Shot Hornady lube. It as when I was resizing some 50 bmg casings. It seems to work great for my .308,223, and 30-06. I stuck two seperate casings and had to get a replacement decapping pin for my die. With the 50 I will stick with RCBS or Lee lube, but am not afraid to use the One Shot on my others... This is just my experience with it, so by no means should anyone think it wont work for it. I just had a little bad luck with it.

scythefwd
June 26, 2012, 12:37 PM
50 is a special cartridge.. Id stick with imperial going something that big.

0hw0rd
June 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
I've had zero problems with 223 and 300blk using One Shot. Are you sure that you're using the sizing One Shot, and not the tooling or gun part One Shot? The sizing lube should be a red can, whereas the other two are white and then black.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
0hw0rd is right though, make sure it is this can... While I will stick with the tube lube for my 50, this does a great job for my other loading...

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/ChadJohnson1976/Shooting%20Groups/62f13162.jpg

rugerman
June 26, 2012, 05:52 PM
I have used the spray before, worked fine with pistol stuff, but stuck several with rifle cases. Now I use imperial wax only. Stuck cases are a pain that I don't want to deal with.

EddieNFL
June 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
I only stuck one case.. and thats because I was trying to lube every other round.

Imperial works very well lubing every other case. OS is like using WD40 as gun oil; it works, but there are better options.

T Bran
June 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
The only time I ever got close to sticking a case was with One Shot seems some folks have luck with it and some dont.
I dont even risk it on .223 but if it works for you go for it.
T

cag215
June 26, 2012, 09:58 PM
Split necks on your brass is not the fault of the case lube.

The more you shoot and reload your brass the more the neck of the brass becomes hardened. After shooting a case @ 5 times you should anneal the neck of the case.

Take 2 cases that have been shot over 5 times. Anneal one case but not the other one. Run the two cases through the sizing die. The annealed case will require less effort, often the non-annealed will feel like the case has zero lube on it.

With a spray on lube, the best process is to lay the case mouth towards you. I like to line them side by side on a rag. Spray the line of cases, turn the cases 1/2 turn, spray again...wait 5 mins, and start sizing.

ColtPythonElite
June 26, 2012, 10:02 PM
Been using One Shot for many years with none of the problems others seem to have had.

scythefwd
June 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
eddie..
there are better options, but NONE allow me to lube my cases as quickly. Line up 50 or so, 5-10 seconds of spraying, good to go till I line up the next 50.

MtnCreek
June 27, 2012, 08:47 AM
there are better options, but NONE allow me to lube my cases as quickly.
There is one, Dillon lube. :) I havenít used one shot because of all the stories Iíve heard about it. For all I know it could be better than Dillon, but I just donít hear many bad things about their lube. I small base LC 7.62 brass w/ the Dillon stuff and have never had an issue. I also use it as a neck lube when neck sizing rifle brass w/ standard neck dies. Spray some lube on a nylon brush and run it through the necks.

pilotlight
June 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
Split necks on your brass is not the fault of the case lube.

Yeah, I know that. I was just posing two different questions in this thread.

jmorris
June 27, 2012, 09:25 AM
After shooting a case @ 5 times you should anneal the neck of the case Some cases wont make it 5 times if you dont anneal them.

Then I start reading about 'headspacing' and such am wondering if I am doing something wrong. While you don't have to have one, a casegauge is nice to have. Most semiauto competition shooters wouldn't be without them.

Most of my primer pockets still maintain a good, firm grasp of the new primer without signs of an enlarged pocket. OK, maybe one piece out of 400 pieces
To catch loose primers and knock off the lube, I post load tumble.

scythefwd
June 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
mtn.. the oneshot is working for me.. I see no reason to change right now.

EddieNFL
June 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
eddie..
there are better options, but NONE allow me to lube my cases as quickly. Line up 50 or so, 5-10 seconds of spraying, good to go till I line up the next 50.
Yeah, I can see savings of three, even four seconds over the pump spray lubes.

Any time saved is offset by the extra effort to size larger cases.

scythefwd
June 30, 2012, 11:38 AM
eddie... im not noticing any real effort to size..and thats on a press without compound leverage. I feel the primers pop loose most of the time. If you can feel the difference using a press that has compound leverage, and I can barely feel the difference without it.. you're probably using the lube wrong.

It'd take just as much time to do one, then grab one that wasn't lubed, then another lubed, back and forth. I just load up the loading block, spray (while shaking the can vigorously.. don't work if you aint giving it a shake to suspend the lube in the propellant), do 40 (all the block holds), and take the next 4 minutes to size em. I could go faster, but why?

EddieNFL
June 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
If you've tried other lubes the difference in effort is easily noticeable...unless you're related to Popeye. Once the die is "conditioned" I can size three .308 case lubing only the first. Any takers with OS?

blarby
June 30, 2012, 04:57 PM
Hornady One Shot lube

Why do they still make this stuff ! ? !

scythefwd
July 1, 2012, 08:44 PM
Because it works fine on everything 30-06 and below

Jeff H
July 1, 2012, 08:52 PM
Because it works fine on 223

Fixed if for ya scythefwd!

IMHO of course.

scythefwd
July 1, 2012, 10:01 PM
lol.. we'll have to disagree. Once I figured out how to use it.. it sizes my 06, 30-30 , 30 match (much harder to size than normal .308 brass.. possibly do to thickness) just fine.

Bring a set of dies and a fired case of anything but belted mags.. and I'll be glad to prove it works well. If you're ever out in my neck of the woods.. aka Northern Virginia.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spray on Lube problems and cracked casings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!