SP Fixer

PDA

blarby
June 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
So, I got a stack of horrible SP bullets not too long ago.

I also know that the ones in loaded cartridges from the store are........ how do we say...... FUGLY.

Some of them ( like the example here) are bad enough to change a shots path from where we want it.

So, what do you do ?

I obtained a very, very expensive tool recently that fixes this problem.

Fixes it very well.

Photos attached.

If you enjoyed reading about "SP Fixer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Josh45
June 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Well....I should go look at the batch I bought then...I never really payed attention to all the tips but this makes me want to go check it out.
Nice work on putting that very expensive tool to work BTW. Never would have thought about it.

rcmodel
June 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
They will probably shoot more accurately with the flattened tip then after shaving them so they are different weights.

Point deformation is not a deal breaker accuracy wise.
Weight variation is.

rc

blarby
June 25, 2012, 09:08 PM
this one, for example....lost .2 grs.

The flat wasn't the problem... it was the hook nose big enough to snatch a bass.

It is still flat nosed, not pointed, for what its worth.

Why you always such a spoil sport rc ?

Old age makin ya cranky ?

Walkalong
June 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
He is right about the tip making little to no difference in accuracy. ;)

blarby
June 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
So a flat nose 180 gr bullet, a ballistic tip 180 gr bullet, a HP 180 gr bullet, a bent SP 180gr bullet, and a uniform 180 gr SP bullet will all have the same POI ?

FROGO207
June 26, 2012, 12:37 AM
That's not exactly how it goes. A good 180 grain bullet and one with a deformed nose that still weighs the same that comes from the same box (same characteristics/makeup) will have the same basic point of impact. Take away some weight and it will be different. Other brands/shapes/styles/materials used to make it will also change POI. If you hammer the bullet flat or pinch the top third of a bullet then it MIGHT change but damage caused by dropping it a time or two will not appreciably change POI that I could ever detect. Now for bench rest shooting at 1200+ YDS even small dents will change things a little bit but-----------? Your point reconditioner is a fun idea but to make it work the bullets would all need to be made the same as the repaired one to be of any practical use. They do make an adjustable meplat uniformer I have seen, I think by LE Wilson.

blarby
June 26, 2012, 01:57 AM
Well, FWIW...the really deformed ones DID change poi at less than 200 yards... so I guess I'm just crazy then.

Guess I'll just go back to crazy land, nuff said.

FROGO207
June 26, 2012, 07:28 AM
Yeah the term "really deformed" is subjective. If they are just dropped a time or two most people would not notice any difference IMHO. And thank you for the tip on the clever use of a tool made for another use.:) This is what keeps the hobby fun--the experimenting.

Walkalong
June 26, 2012, 08:22 AM
Closed at OP's request.

If you enjoyed reading about "SP Fixer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!