Sporter Stock for Mosin Nagant

PDA

rookorami
June 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
I have a Nagant that I picked up a year or so ago and I am quite fond of it. I was thinking of getting a new stock for it just for fun. I realize that the money I put into messing with this gun I will not recoup. I am ok with that. This is more for a fun factor. The only issue is I seem to have trouble locating one because I do not want an ATI synthetic stock. I would like a wooden stock. Any help would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sporter Stock for Mosin Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
courtgreene
June 25, 2012, 10:50 PM
well, LJmosinfreak on this forum is making them, or is in the development process, you could look him up.

I'm not sure about his name but it is something like that.

snakeman
June 25, 2012, 10:52 PM
boydsgunstocks.com

headoftheholler
June 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
+1 for the Boyds. I love mine. Perfect fit only trimming was to float the barrel.
Richards Microfit also makes Mosin stocks but I cant speak for them.
My '46 M44 in a Boyds:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/larryslamps/DSCF8850.jpg

I love the pepper laminate, might go with the walnut next time.

Tempest 455
June 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
Ditto on Boyds.

https://home.comcast.net/~ericdouthitt/DSCN8563.JPG

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
June 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah I'm still in development and kind of in hold for a little while due to some Civil Penalties I gotta pay to get my license back, but let me know what you decide, I could probably afford to crank a design out if it's different from my SV-98 stock... Though I'm thinking about trashing the SV-98 and starting over again

Sent from my MP3/Hands-Free/Web-Browsing Device

FIVETWOSEVEN
June 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
Though I'm thinking about trashing the SV-98 and starting over again

That's too bad, how come?

snakeman
June 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
that's an awesome rig tempest

Chopdoktor
June 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
+1000 for Boyds Stocks. It's about the best $99 you can spend on an old Mosin, next to the Timney trigger!
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae263/Chopdoktor/ResizedImage_1340740435831.jpg

Tempest 455
June 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
that's an awesome rig tempest

Thanks. It's not super accurate like some of my other rifles but fun to shoot. People always come over and ask what it is.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
June 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
That's too bad, how come?

Trigger guard got widened out more than I had hoped, but I could probably lop some off and wing it with the bottom metal of the Mosin.

Sent from my MP3/Hands-Free/Web-Browsing Device

303tom
June 26, 2012, 08:23 PM
http://www.combatstocks.com/Mosin_Nagant_Stocks_and_Accessories.cfm

Clark
June 27, 2012, 02:59 AM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/Prestons9159fittedtostockpillarandg.jpg

Boyd's

dprice3844444
June 27, 2012, 05:17 AM
chop,how does that brake work?

Chopdoktor
June 27, 2012, 07:44 AM
dprice- the brake works amazingly. It's a JP brake, and it seriously takes every bit of punishment out of the recoil. It almost feels like the rifle just does a little 'hop' in place, and maybe a 1/4 of the recoil gets transferred through to the shooter. I love it, I'd buy another. But be warned...IT IS LOUUUUDDDDD.

hang fire
June 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
LOL, the MN or the brake?

Chopdoktor
June 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
The brake! The Mosin is loud by itself, but the brake just takes it to a whole new level, haha. I have the barrel down to 21", I think.

BadMitten
June 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
People love or hate Mosins. I love em. If you own a dozen, no reason why you can't modify one to your liking. I wouldn't mind a custom rifle like some of the ones pictured above.

holdencm9
June 27, 2012, 11:33 PM
I am kinda wanting to do this to a Mosin. I love shooting the one I have but worry about the stock cracking. It would be nice to save the original stock somewhere safe and just enjoy shooting it. I might just buy a whole other Mosin though for the $100 or so they cost.

rookorami
July 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the input! I just received my stock from Boyd's. I have a few minor fitting adjustments but will get pictures up as soon as its finished.

mberoose
July 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
Oh lawd. I wish I never saw that pepper laminate stock.

Texan Scott
July 16, 2012, 06:21 PM
Homer J. Simpson: Now, what kind of father wouldn't care about... ---> A PIG WEARING A HAT!!!

It feels like putting a silk hat on a pig.... but those Boyd's are nice looking... I want one.

mookiie
July 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
+1 Boyd's

meanmrmustard
July 16, 2012, 10:17 PM
I'm actually anxious to see L.J.'s progress thus far.

rookorami
July 16, 2012, 11:48 PM
As am I. I am running into one problem with the new stock. When I go to cycle the bolt the rounds do not eject most of the time. When I take the parts out of the new stock and put them back in the original I do not have the problem. I just need to figure out where I need to take more from. Pictures still pending. :D

tahunua001
July 16, 2012, 11:59 PM
I have a boyds thumbhole sporter like chopdoktors but mine is brown laminate instead of black.
one word of warning, I have spent a lot of time and energy sporterizing one of my mosins. I still prefer my stock 91/30. there is just no way to make them into a decent shooter by modern hunting rifle standards.

rookorami
July 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
This is just a fun side project that I doing purely for the fun of doing. I do really like the stock I have, its the classic style and it really feels more comfortable from the original configuration. I doubt I do anymore updates really beyond the stock.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 17, 2012, 05:27 AM
As am I. I am running into one problem with the new stock. When I go to cycle the bolt the rounds do not eject most of the time. When I take the parts out of the new stock and put them back in the original I do not have the problem. I just need to figure out where I need to take more from. Pictures still pending. :D

Something is hanging up with the interruptor. When a round is cycled its causing the interruptor to bind on the stock in such a fashion as to keeping enough in the receiver to hold back the remaining rounds, but not enough to eject a spent casing. Take a little more away from this area and you should do fine.

And I posted new pictures of the stock after narrowing, that's as far as I can take it right now, though.

~On The Road Again...~

headoftheholler
July 17, 2012, 11:00 PM
I have a boyds thumbhole sporter like chopdoktors but mine is brown laminate instead of black.
one word of warning, I have spent a lot of time and energy sporterizing one of my mosins. I still prefer my stock 91/30. there is just no way to make them into a decent shooter by modern hunting rifle standards.
Your expierence with one Mosin does not automatically dictate failure accross the board accuracy wise. My Finn Mosin sporter with PPU softpoints is printing close to 3/4 moa at 100 yards right now.

meanmrmustard
July 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
Your expierence with one Mosin does not automatically dictate failure accross the board accuracy wise. My Finn Mosin sporter with PPU softpoints is printing close to 3/4 moa at 100 yards right now.
That is impressive. I'm hearing good things of the Finn M39.

rookorami
July 18, 2012, 04:06 PM
And here it is. I can't wait to get some time to go to the range and test it out!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 18, 2012, 04:10 PM
Looks nice! Enjoy that beast!

~On The Road Again...~

stytos
November 7, 2012, 02:32 AM
I have a Nagant that I picked up a year or so ago and I am quite fond of it. I was thinking of getting a new stock for it just for fun. I realize that the money I put into messing with this gun I will not recoup. I am ok with that. This is more for a fun factor. The only issue is I seem to have trouble locating one because I do not want an ATI synthetic stock. I would like a wooden stock. Any help would be appreciated.
I've heard some unsavory remarks regarding Richard's Microfit stocks, but it's my opinion that those people either didn't know what they were getting themselves into, or were too inexperienced to know what to do.

I highly recommend Richard's Microfit. Their phones are rather busy, but if you can get through to them, it'll be worth it. They will take a long time in making and shipping the stock. You will need to do some sanding and probably some inletting, but if you don't mind doing some work, it's a really nice stock!

I'm actually not doing a good job at recommending it; but if you don't mind carefully sanding and doing some inletting (Dremel for me), I'd highly recommend it.

Clipper
November 7, 2012, 08:06 AM
Oh, I wouldn't say that...How's Wolf Gold shooting 1.5" @ 100 yards with peeps strike you? ATI stock, 22" barrel, Rem 700 bolt handle. Less than $200.00 total into it.

I'm about 1/2 done with a full-stock 19" butterknife bolt open-sighted stalking rifle right now. So far I have just the purchase price into it...

tahunua001
November 7, 2012, 01:58 PM
Oh, I wouldn't say that...How's Wolf Gold shooting 1.5" @ 100 yards with peeps strike you? ATI stock, 22" barrel, Rem 700 bolt handle. Less than $200.00 total into it.

I'm about 1/2 done with a full-stock 19" butterknife bolt open-sighted stalking rifle right now. So far I have just the purchase price into it...
you must have bought yours 5 years ago when they were under 50 dollars then. I bought mine for $125 after taxes and anymore the cheapest you can get after FFL+shipping/tax is just under $150. the boyds stocks are $100 before shipping. I was trying to stay as cheap as possible with the sporterizing job so I went with a second hand scope and ATI bolt handle and scope mount so those parts are a shame on me typed deal. the rifle has grown on me a little but when you look at total costs, not just the cost of the conversion parts a cheap remington 700 at walmart is just a better rifle for the same cost without having to do all the gunsmithing stuff yourself.

Kyle M.
November 7, 2012, 02:03 PM
I didn't realize anyone made a wood sporter stock for the nagant.

Clipper
November 7, 2012, 04:13 PM
Nope... The first I bought at the LGS two years ago, and the second I bought from J&G this summer.

However, I am a retired toolmaker and do all machine work and welding myself. The peep sights are a used set of Williams Mauser 98 foolproofs, and the new white bead front sight cost about $45.00. The rifle cost $85.00 and the stock was $45.00, the bolt handle was $9.00.

The second rifle is, right now in the (reshaped) factory stock, and I made the bolt handle myself on my surface grinder. I need to buy a set of open sights. After I see how it shoots, I'll decide if I want to buy a Richards stock, and how fancy I want the wood to be, and whether or not to spring for a Timney trigger. I might splurge a total of $300.00 if It's worth getting carried away...

If you enjoyed reading about "Sporter Stock for Mosin Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!