Show your Barbecue Guns & Holsters

PDA

Sven
January 30, 2003, 09:55 PM
Got my order in with Tucker Gun Leather (http://www.tuckergunleather.com/) for my first holster and mag pouch. Rob was very helpful and returned my calls within minutes, if not seconds.

Also getting a couple belts - 1 1/2" for training and 1 1/4" for... that's right.... wearing with dress slacks.

You heard it here first. I'm getting a barbecue-capable rig.

I'm so excited, I can hardly wait! So help me tide the time...

Post Pictures of your Barbecue Guns & Holsters!

Thanks,

-SvEN

If you enjoyed reading about "Show your Barbecue Guns & Holsters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PATH
January 30, 2003, 10:00 PM
:confused:

Sven
January 30, 2003, 10:08 PM
Here's the idea: you don't barbecue the guns.

You wear the guns, at a barbecue. Ideally, with like minded folks.

Well, I've read about it, anyway...

shermacman
January 30, 2003, 10:10 PM
Sometimes a real rare steak can be a dangerous thing!

Gewehr98
January 30, 2003, 10:12 PM
Think it was a bunch of homeboys in Compton, they were grilling ribs and Glocks were sticking outta their low-rider pants, Mexican carry. Rap video, I remember because I hit the [mute] button posthaste!

Tamara
January 30, 2003, 10:42 PM
Hmmm...

I'm getting feelings of inadequacy. My barbecue holster is a Galco Concealable (for assorted 1911s), a Galco Speedmaster (for the PC13) or a Ross Leather pancake holster (for the P7M8).

Maybe I need to upgrade?

TxShooter
January 30, 2003, 10:47 PM
http://members.optushome.com.au/jamesandjulie/images/Colt1991A1left.JPG

My near-stock Colt 1991A1 with ivory panels by Nutmeg Sports. Holster will be the Alessi ACP or CQC/I.

BerettaNut92
January 30, 2003, 10:47 PM
No pictures??

http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/beretta_rr.jpg

No fancy holster, just tactical plastic. But the belt is elephant skin!

BigG
January 30, 2003, 10:48 PM
What I understand it to be is when LE types congregate or go to court they have a ceremonial gun with engraving, plating, fancy grips with bearcats sculpted on them with ruby eyes. You know the type... Sorta like Roy Rogers' pistols.

Yohan
January 30, 2003, 11:10 PM
http://www.mip.berkeley.edu/essig/bbq.jpg
Look what I found!

Sven
January 30, 2003, 11:15 PM
...mip.berkeley.edu/essig/bbq.jpg

...in Berkeley, no less!

Steve Smith
January 31, 2003, 01:04 AM
Yeah, but do you have a BBQ GUN? (For the record, I don't have anything pretty enough!)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
January 31, 2003, 01:15 AM
For extra-fancy occasions I take this Colt Thunderer out. No photos of it in the rig, though. Actually, the rig is very plain. When was the last time you saw one of these that would actually work? S/N indicates it was made in 1900. My father gave it to me last year; he acquired it from an old city policeman, David (Dump) Pentecost in Kilgore, Texas who got it from M.T. Gonzallus, Texas Ranger in Kilgore during the oil boom in the early 1930's.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Stephen A. Camp
January 31, 2003, 02:02 AM
Hello. These are way too thick and not too comfortable, but I reckon that for show, they'd do.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/p0825af26cc25f276021d97e0db315ae0/fcb4f4d4.jpg

Best.

D.W. Drang
January 31, 2003, 02:21 AM
What I understand it to be is when LE types congregate or go to court they have a ceremonial gun with engraving, plating, fancy grips with bearcats sculpted on them with ruby eyes. You know the type... Sorta like Roy Rogers' pistols A Texan described a BBQ gun to me as "The rig you'd wear at the Governor's Bar-B-Que."
I suspect that the sight of an armed citizen would cause Chairman Locke of WA to have a cardiac arrest. Just as well I can't afford any gussied-up piece anyhoo, as I'd probably ask The Chairman how he could give W any crap about the state's economy with a straight face on national TV when his own policies drove Boeing out of state...:fire: (And the state's economy started tanking well before the elections...)

BerettaNut92
January 31, 2003, 02:28 AM
Tamara, Galco concealable is fine, but you need it in STINGRAYSKIN!!!!

WonderNine
January 31, 2003, 04:43 AM
Post Pictures of your Barbecue Guns & Holsters!

Thanks,

-SvEN

I hope he's not talking about this...

IMAGE REMOVED BY STAFF

KMKeller
January 31, 2003, 02:10 PM
Sven - That is one gorgeous rig!

Sven
January 31, 2003, 02:21 PM
Can't wait to post pictures of the final product. It was pretty expensive in the end (equivalent to a couple cases of ammo), but I'm sure it will last forever and having seen Tucker's work first hand, I'm sure it will be worth it.

Here's the breakdown of my order:

---------

*** Holster ***
-HF1, 11 degree forward cant, right handed
-sweatshield
-lined
-color black cherry
-cross-cut

*** Belt 1 - Work ***
-belt, 1 1/2" width, 37"
-color black cherry
-stamping & cross-cut

*** Belt 2 - Casual ***
-belt, 1 1/4" width, 37"
-color black cherry
-stamping & cross-cut

*** Mag Pouch ***
-Angled double
-color black cherry
-cross-cut

-------

John Jardine (of Valtro fame) recommended I see what Tucker could make for me when I asked him for advice for a rig for the Valtro - he brought out his new holster/belt/pouch from Tucker and I was deeply impressed by the leather, especially the patterning, which I later learned is called a 'cross-cut' pattern.

The cross-cut pattern isn't shown on the website, but is shown in Tucker's PDF catalog, available by request from Rob - a Tucker dealer - who is also a High Roader and former TFLer working under the alias 'tonerguy' PM (http://www.thehighroad.org/private.php?s=&action=newmessage&userid=3276) - Email (rob@tuckergunleather.com) - Website (http://www.tuckergunleather.com)

Viking6
January 31, 2003, 02:24 PM
WonderNine, His "Empire" is not near invisible enough.

Dave R
January 31, 2003, 02:36 PM
Seems like very few here have read LawDog's post on TFL on barbeque guns.

Stephen A Camp in on the right track.

IIRC, the barbeque gun is like the firearm version of fine jewlery. Designed to be displayed as an emblem of social status.

Its the opposite of concealed carry.

Not supposed to be gaudy, supposed to be elegant. Like Camp's Hi-Power. And the holster has to be appropriate.

A CCW rig is more like a "court gun". We need LawDog to explain that one for us.

Where IS LawDog these days?

JMLV
January 31, 2003, 03:14 PM
IS FULLY LOADED!

JMLV
January 31, 2003, 03:18 PM
and shooting extravanza known as the Noreaster. set in furlong PA this weekend of shooting is held one a year (sometimes twice) and hosts shooters from all over the east coast. the next Noreaster is on april 5&6 2003. check over at sixgunner.com forum for more details. We do have a bit of fun(and eat a lot of venision!)

tonerguy
January 31, 2003, 03:22 PM
This is a Tucker Gunleather set just like the left-handed rig made for John Jardine:

http://www.imgmag.com/images/tonerguy/Tucker/JardineCutMedium.jpg

Sven's will be in Black Cherry. :D

The HF1 holster is a tunnel (wraparound) construction with leading and trailing belt loops so it rides the hip like a pancake but will never collapse with time. It is IDPA approved and does double duty as a concealed OWB holster and an IDPA match holster.

The angled mag pouch has been a popular style in Texas because you don't have to break the wrist going for the spare magazine. Many think it results in a smoother mag change.

BigG
January 31, 2003, 06:50 PM
Go to TX Rangers Museum in IIRC Waco. Hundreds of engraved plated fancy wood pistols from Texas' Finest.

Benjamin
January 31, 2003, 06:54 PM
No fancy holster, just tactical plastic. But the belt is elephant skin!

Wow. Never had BBQ-ed elephant, myself.

Sven
February 4, 2003, 01:51 PM
My rig is enroute:

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/tucker.jpg

Rob says it is less 'red' than it appears in this photo. I like the color - you wont' be able to see if any barbecue sauce spills on it. JUST KIDDING.

tonerguy
February 4, 2003, 02:01 PM
Sven says, "Rob says it is less 'red' than it appears in this photo. I like the color - you wont' be able to see if any barbecue sauce spills on it."

What do you think we dyed it with? Ran out of regular dye and used K.C. Masterpiece.

Color's good, but a pack of dogs is following the delivery truck. :D

Owen
February 4, 2003, 05:49 PM
well down here in SC, real bbq sauce is yellow!

Greg L
February 4, 2003, 06:05 PM
My near-stock Colt 1991A1 with ivory panels by Nutmeg Sports. Holster will be the Alessi ACP or CQC/I.

Hey Critter, what happened to the "off red" :rolleyes: grips. :D

Greg

45R
February 4, 2003, 06:12 PM
Sven
Here is mine

45R

BerettaNut92
February 4, 2003, 06:35 PM
REAL BARBECUE SAUCE: Soy sauce, garlic, green onions, sugar.

Sautee overnight.

Cook rice, deploy gas mask, open jars of stinky cabbage.

BigG
February 4, 2003, 07:07 PM
You guys have shown some nice pistols and rigs but I don't think we've got the concept just yet. We are talking bling bling.

Minimum 3/4 coverage engraving, plating, loud grips and flower carved buscadero rigs. These guns are meant to be seen!

Sven
February 4, 2003, 07:39 PM
BigG: Finally I understand why someone would buy one of those Commemorative Pistols advertised in National Rifleman.

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/760anniv_small.jpg

from the American Historical Foundation (http://www.ahfrichmond.com/projectgraphics/760anniv.ahf)

(Sven ducks, remembering that these weapons actually can fire!)

If I had to choose a barbecue gun, it would be something totally engraved, with ivory grips... maybe a SAA.

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/398scgt_small.jpg

JMLV
February 4, 2003, 07:47 PM
All matching numbers, Nazi proofs too.

JMLV
February 4, 2003, 07:50 PM
here go's

BigG
February 4, 2003, 08:11 PM
Sven, you're getting warmer but I think that would .45 be more appropriate at a urban saturday nite crack dealer meeting with its garish faux engraving and loud gold plating.

A factory engraved Colt or S&W with ivory grips would be what I would consider a barbecue gun ensconced (as Jeff Cooper might say) in a suitably ornately worked buscadero rig.

As I mentioned earlier, that Waco museum has some jaw-dropping engraved Colt Gomt Models, SAAs and N-frame Smiths used by the Texas Rangers. Really impressive and worth seeing. :cool:

BerettaNut92
February 4, 2003, 08:38 PM
Hot doggy I want one of those Beretta EL's.

Hakan
February 4, 2003, 09:15 PM
Here is my CZ75 DualTone with "Fancy" grips :) IWB holster is made By Eric.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=95713

tonerguy
February 4, 2003, 09:52 PM
Makes me wish I had a CZ. Nice grips!

CAP
February 4, 2003, 10:35 PM
Skunk, you're killing me with the Beretta pix. Gonna have to send mine in for some work. What did you have done to yours?

Tonerguy, SWEEEEET leather work. VERY impressed.

Kahr carrier
February 4, 2003, 10:37 PM
:what: Barbeque??

tonerguy
February 4, 2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks, Cap. Tucker does good work. I keep him chained to his workbench most of the time. His wife brings food and water twice a day. He gets bathroom breaks, of course, and 4 hours of "lights out" every night.

Work, work, work. ;)

jar
February 5, 2003, 09:19 AM
Some pretty brass flingers shown, but what about a real gun?

Here's a nice little BBque rig with a Texas Steak knife.

http://www.fototime.com/88745B75E21B566/standard.jpg

BigG
February 5, 2003, 10:21 AM
You guys are real meat eaters down in Texas! :cool:

BerettaNut92
February 5, 2003, 11:30 AM
Skunk, you're killing me with the Beretta pix. Gonna have to send mine in for some work. What did you have done to yours?

Novak rear, trijicon front
Stainless steel guiderod
Carbon fiber grips
Stainless Langdon trigger
He changed out the mag release, grip screws (old ones in that pic) and hammer because I had a prototype gun and they were different from the production Elite II's.

Wilson magpouch and holster, Rafter S elephant skin belt, RR 5.11 series vest and cargo pants.

Carbon_15
February 5, 2003, 11:47 AM
well down here in SC, real bbq sauce is yellow
Amen to that!!!! And preferably comes from Maurice Besinger.

Here is my old BBQ gun. Yep...the little lady got this one in the divorce too. Bet she is wearing it to one of those weird Texas BBQ's were they cook BEEF in RED sauce :what: :cuss:

Jesse H
February 5, 2003, 12:04 PM
I never BBQ w/out Shiner Bock...but beer and guns don't mix. Nuts.

BerettaNut92
February 5, 2003, 01:55 PM
What's a Shiner Bock?

Jesse H
February 5, 2003, 03:46 PM
Skunky said:

What's a Shiner Bock?

omigosh you're not my friend anymore.

BigG
February 5, 2003, 03:56 PM
You guys put MUSTARD on your pork ribs in SC? :eek: :confused:

Carbon_15
February 5, 2003, 04:01 PM
What's a Shiner Bock
just the only beer on the face of the earth worth human comsumption.

You guys put MUSTARD on your pork ribs in SC
MMMM...fatty goodness slathered in vinegar and mustard...

SoDFW Jason
February 5, 2003, 04:32 PM
Observations:

1.) Barbecue is red meat
2.) Barbecue sauce is red
3.) Texans have forgotten more about barbecue than East Coasters will ever know.
4.) Mustard on ribs is a hangin' offense
5.) Shiner Bock(preferably on tap) is nectar of the Gods

tonerguy
February 5, 2003, 04:58 PM
Jason, you speak the truth!

Owen
February 5, 2003, 08:29 PM
MMM Maurice's

I usually go to the one on Two Notch Rd.

I wish he'd shut his trap about the confederate flag tho, its killing his business, and im always worried some colleague from work is gonna give me a hard time about being a patron.

Beef is for burgers and steak, pork is for BBQ!

Country Boy
February 6, 2003, 05:33 PM
Skunk-
You mean to tell me that you have over two thousand posts at TFL, and you don't know about Shiner Bock? :scrutiny:

I don't have any BBQ guns. I have some guns where I could rustle up some meat for a BBQ, but I don't have any that are stunning enough to show off at a BBQ. I have a stainless 1911, but it isn't anything spectacular. I'll have to get some funky grips for her one of these days.

Matt G
February 6, 2003, 07:08 PM
Jason:

I agree with you in spirit, man, but understand:
While we Texicans may have the market cornered on good brisket, the S. Carolinians were making piggies into fine pork barbecue before Stephen F. was a twinkle in Moses Austin's eye. And give Memphis dry rub ribs a try, sometime. It's worth the exploration.

Closest thing to a "barbecue gun" that I have is my old working Gold Cup (qualified in police academy with it, carried it on duty, hunted a lot with it, and still shoot a few matches with it.), which shows some use. Still and all, in mother of pearl stocks, it looks pretty good, yet: (I wore it at Dad's wedding on New Year's Eve.)

Sisco
February 17, 2003, 12:49 PM
Well, I never thought of barbequing a gun before, but I'll willing to try most anything. Wasn't really all that good, kinda tough and greasy tasting. In fact, I'd rather eat a carp. Raw.
Maybe it would've been better with some BBQ sauce. What do you all recommend? Bullseye? :D

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 01:18 PM
MattG those stocks rule!

Fed168
February 17, 2003, 01:27 PM
Speaking for the NC contingent, the only real BBQ can be found east of Davidson.
My BBQ gun is a J frame. Don't want to get my guns greasy while enjoying some pig.

LawDog
February 17, 2003, 02:15 PM
*Ahem*

I think there may be a bit of confusion hereabouts concerning the difference between a court gun (also called a church gun) and a BBQ gun.

A court gun should be blued steel or stainless with minimum engraving. The stocks should be tastefully understated fancy wood. A 1911 or Browning Hi-Power is the classic court gun.

The gun leather for your court gun should be dark in colour, with the classic basketweave pattern and a Ranger buckle. A subdued floral or Celtic pattern is acceptable, as long as the leather engraving is not a different color from the rest of the belt. Under no circumstances should your name be carved into the back of your court gun gear, although discreet references to your employment or family history are acceptable.

The best court gun gear used to come from TDC inmates, although I haven't gotten a set from them in years.

A BBQ gun on the other paw, requires that you start with a revolver -- Smith and Wesson or Colt. Anything Brazilian is liable to get you laughed at. Polished stainless at a minimum, and pony up for full engraving.

Now, look in the mirror. Is your mustache over 50% grey? If so, go for pearl grips. 49% or less on the grey-meter, and you'd best stick with ivory.

Have the ivory scrimshawed. Floral patterns involving roses and the Texas flag are good, as well as the state of Texas, tastefully clothed women and long horn cattle. Any scene from the battle of the Alamo is a surefire crowd pleaser. For those souls living outside the Great State of Texas, the flag raising at Mt. Suribachi may be substituted for an Alamo scene, and anything involving Marines is acceptable engraving material.

The leather for your BBQ gun should be of a floral pattern, with the engraving a different color than the rest of the leather. The engraving pattern should extend to the buckle and any other metal hardware which should consist of silver and be polished bright enough to shave in.

:DLawDog

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 02:28 PM
Reehaw Gun:

Ubertacticalled out pistol with all the doodads: ghost ring sights, taclight, stainless or hard chromed slide and carbon fiber grips.

Sharkskin or faux carbon fiber rig.

Betty
February 17, 2003, 02:28 PM
Anything Brazilian is liable to get you laughed at.

Hey! them's fightin' words, mister! :p

So... where does black plastic fall into the scheme of things? ;)

SoDFW Jason
February 17, 2003, 02:36 PM
MattG:

This is gonna be a secret between me and you OK? I'm from Alabama so I know and love the magical hog with the dry rub(although the death penalty/mustard/rib law is still on the books in AL). ;) the secret part: I like oinker butt off the smoker as good as bovine brisket.

I just thought we needed a little Texas representation if there was BBQ talk going 'round.

My BBQ gun is a Glock 30, but it only gets shown off if someone gets near my plate

:D

tonerguy
February 17, 2003, 02:50 PM
If you take tupperware to a Texas BBQ it must be presented properly to avoid gossip, backbiting, confrontation or expulsion.

http://www.imgmag.com/images/tonerguy/Tucker/TexasConchoGlockx005MedCrop.jpg

Matt G
February 17, 2003, 03:03 PM
Black plastic at a barbecue is like underwear: lots of people may be wearin' it, but it's gauche to show it off.

You like those pimp grips, Skunk? (I have to admit that I do, too, but I'm skeered of crackin' 'em when I wear 'em and smack a door-frame or sumpin'.)

LawDog's correct, but I'm still not outfitted for court or even barbecues correctly, yet. Might be okay for fish-fries. I need to find myself a nice engraved and nickled New Frontier or the like. Maybe a Python... ;)

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 03:37 PM
My scores have improved drastically every since I got mine last summer. They rule. The stock grips are ugly on an Elite II. They go well with the servicey models like the 92F or even the GSD but the Elite II needs something racier.

Dave R
February 17, 2003, 04:52 PM
MattG is right. The only way to carry "black plastic" at a barbeque is _concealed_.

SoDFW Jason
February 17, 2003, 05:01 PM
Tonerguy: That is one purdy piece of hide, my brother. I needs me one of them. As far as looks go, that is the farthest I have seen the "sow's ear into a silk purse" thing go on dressing up a piece of ugly(but functional) plastic.

Skunk: you have to be the most tactical pimp in the Engrish speaking world.

.45TCB
February 17, 2003, 05:07 PM
1.) Barbecue is red meat
2.) Barbecue sauce is red
3.) Texans have forgotten more about barbecue than East Coasters will ever know.
4.) Mustard on ribs is a hangin' offense
5.) Shiner Bock(preferably on tap) is nectar of the GodsIn Memphis (BBQ capital of the world): :D

1. Barbecue is pork, pork, or pork.
2. BBQ sauce is red (we agree with the TX and KC folks, here)
3. Mustard based BBQ sauce is just wrong.
4. Ribs should be slow cooked with a dry rub.
5. A BBQ sandwich consists of a bun, pulled pork, and slaw.
6. Any of the above should be served with a huge glass of sweet tea.

SoDFW Jason
February 17, 2003, 05:49 PM
.45TCB: I agree with everything you said. Ribs are a very personal thing so I didn't address that issue(besides the mustard thing) but I am a fan of the dry rub and the KC Masterpiece slathered ribs. A pulled pork sandwich is a very difficult thing to argue against, as I do love them so.

:D

I also agree with sweet tea, but it's hard to come by in Texas unless you are in a "Memphis style" BBQ joint or at home. I'm not sure about why that is though......

Byron Quick
February 27, 2003, 12:06 AM
OK,

Who does some great engraving and scrimshaw?

Litlman
February 27, 2003, 12:00 PM
I don't realy have a "barbecue gun but if I did it would have to be like Stephen Camp's!!! NICE!

Tamara
February 27, 2003, 12:28 PM
So, a "court gun" is kinda like a "TFL/THR Gathering gun"? Something like "Oh, jeeze, that's a Springfield Pro, isn't it?" or "Hey, I didn't know Smith made a 4" round-butt Model 19!" or "Ooh! Who did the custom work on that 1911?". I've been to at least one gathering where the total MSRP of the various 1911's around would've purchased a half-decent car, and I'm only talking about maybe five guns... :)

Skunk,

Ubertacticalled out pistol with all the doodads: ghost ring sights, taclight, stainless or hard chromed slide and carbon fiber grips.

Sharkskin or faux carbon fiber rig.

No, that's called a "Mall Ninja gun", and will just get you laughed at. ;) Get runt_ to explain to you why it's not a good idea to leave M.O.D. knife boxes lying around where folks can see 'em, either. ;) :p

El Tejon
February 27, 2003, 12:42 PM
Bar-be-que? BBQ? WTH is that? You guys mean a Cook Out?

A Cook Out--where you eat game meat or chicken and not the pig or cow! That way you can still move around for the basketball game and not fall asleep when we break out the cards for euchre.

Whatever Cook Out gun you bring, ensure you have a good holster and belt that way it will stay with you during the basketball game or horseshoe pitching contest and not fall into the 3 bean salad! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Show your Barbecue Guns & Holsters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!