Another "What scope for my AR?" thread

PDA

TexAg
June 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
I've got a Sport coming and I'm in a conundrum on what optics I want to put on it. The role of the gun is paper puncher, predator control and HD. Since predator and HD is within the "scope" (pardon the pun) of this gun's usage I know that a non-illuminated reticle is nigh impossible to use at night. Some of my other scopes are Leupolds (2-7 and 2.5-8) and a Trijicon Accupont 3-9 on my SX-AR. I also have a Fastfire II on a Marlin 336. If I were rich I'd get a 1-4 Accupoint, but I'm not, so my budget is around $270.

I've never had a 1-4x scope and have always been intrigued by them. However, I also wonder if I'd just end up wishing I had more magnification like a 2-7.
I initially thought I might like a Millet DMS, but I wonder if my other scopes will have spoiled me with their good glass and I'll be dissapointed with it. I've thought of going with the Leupold Mark AR and later adding a Fastfire II in a 45 degree mount (Warne RAMP?). Or should I go with a 2-7 plus Fastfire?
So, basically I want good glass, not too expensive ($270 max for now, can use my current Fastfire or buy another one later), and preferably not too heavy either. Oh, and I would prefer 1/4 moa adjustment. I was disappointed to see the Mark AR had 1/2 moa.
Thanks for your help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "What scope for my AR?" thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
snakeman
June 26, 2012, 11:08 AM
I would suggest a 3-9x40 leupold vxR but it's out of the price range you mentioned. That said, a redfield revolution accurange would be good with your fast fire mounted on a 45 degree base for HD.

TexAg
June 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks! I should add that I don't really want a 3-9 either, too big and heavy. I have seriously considered a 2-7 Redfield.

MtnCreek
June 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
Check out Burris Tac30. It has pretty good glass for the money. Illum is adjustable far enough that it won’t blind you at night and is visible during day.

snakeman
June 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
The new burris scopes are supposed to be good. Another option is a bushnell elite or weaver grand slam. I personally prefer redfield and leupold as far as my scopes go. If I had money a vx3 or vxR would be my pick from the leupold custom shop.

TonyAngel
June 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
Always go for quality first, followed by bells and whistles. I'd take a good scope without illuminated reticle over a crappy scope that does have any illuminated reticle any day.

Don't assume that just because the reticle is illuminated you will be able to use the scope in low light situations. The reticle will do nothing for you, if you can't see anything else through the scope.

If around $300, is all you can swing, I'd suggest getting some flavor of red dot from Primary Arms. Since this is going to be used for defense, you life may be at stake one day. Go for dependable rather than tacticool.

kcshooter
June 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
The Burris 1-4 is the best at the pricepoint. It's close as any for a true 1x, and has very nice, bright glass. It will fit the role best between varmint and predator control.

The Millet is, in my opinion, junk compared to the Burris. Yes, I have both.

CMC
June 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
How about the Leupold Hog hunter 1x4 x 20mm
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm-hog/

kcshooter
June 26, 2012, 04:02 PM
^ Other than being a couple hundred out of his price range....

TexAg
June 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
Actually, the VX-HOG is only $229 with 1/4 moa adjustments. The only thing I've read that dissuades me from that scope is I think parallax might be set at 75 yards. Otherwise, it's very tempting.

CMC
June 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
Here is the Leupold hog hunter at Cabelas for $229
http://www.cabelas.com/riflescopes-leupold-vx-hog-riflescope-1.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=1339838&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=340415E1-4975-E111-88CA-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
How about a 3-9 but with Quick-Release Rings?
I have a Leupold Vari-X-Ix40mm on my AR handle with a Leupold see-through mount that fits in the U of the top of the handle. There is a hole from front to back to see through the mount if I remove the scope, or even if I keep the scope on. With Leupold's QR Rings, I can have the scope on or off in less than 30 seconds!

I let a friend shoot it a few weeks ago, WITH the scope on and offhand, we were both hitting a basketball-size rock at 200 yards with the scope on 9X. He was amazed that he could see the rock so well! I took off the scope and my friend said he could no longer even see the rock, let alone hit it! So, the scope went back on!
http://usarmorment.com/images/leu52136.jpg
http://usarmorment.com/
http://usarmorment.com/images/large/QRW_LRG.jpg
http://usarmorment.com/

TexAg
June 26, 2012, 06:05 PM
I'll mount it in a quick release set up, but truthfully I'll probably hardly ever take it off. I don't want a 3-9 because 3x power is just too much a lot of the time and they are usually bigger, heavier scopes.
The VX-R has me really wanting to stretch my budget.
The Burris looks appealing, but I'm not sure about the reticle, seems awfully busy.

henschman
June 27, 2012, 03:22 AM
I'd skip the cheap Chinese scopes and just get a Weaver 1-3x20 if your funds are that limited.

Unfortunately the Burris TAC30 is out of your price range at $300, and that's not even considering the cost of a mount. But if you can swing it, that is the next one up the price scale that I would recommend.

TexAg
June 27, 2012, 03:30 AM
Well my funds aren't *that* limited, I just like to keep my spending in check. The Burris TAC30 can be had for $279, so it's not too far out of my optics price range. A mount is obviously necessary, but I was giving my optics budget, not my mount budget.

Mot45acp
June 27, 2012, 03:37 AM
I am currently in the same boat as you. Looking for an affordable low power scope to tide me over till I can get an 1X4 accupoint.

I am willing to forgoe illuminated reticle for quality of glass. I don't like having to rely on batteries. My only battery powered scope is a Aimpoint Comp 4.

The scope I am considering right now is the Nikon Monarch African. It is within $9 of you price range.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-Monarch-African-Riflescopes-C1703.aspx

crazyjennyblack
June 27, 2012, 03:54 AM
Happy Happy Leupold, from all of us to you!
We wish it was our rifle, so we could shoot it too!

:neener:

Seriously, look at the Leupold website and write down some models you might like. Then, go to a local store that has a bunch and take an up close personal look. I highly recommend Leupold products, as they are the only ones I use on my rifles. The VX line has held up in car guns and on top of a Rem 700 .30-06 that has been right on target after the very first range session.

A friend of mine has also recommended the Nikon Monarch scopes as well, but I have no personal experience with them.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 27, 2012, 09:18 AM
Let me add, I had some reservation about the Quick-Detach (QD) Rings, thinking, each time I remove the scope and put it back on the POI might change a bit.

I worried over nothing as the rings are so tight to the scope tube and the Quick Release levers clamp into the mount (into grooves in the mount), so tightly, that - every time I check my POI after the scope has been off then on again, the POI is PERFECTLY SET just as I set it when sighting it in! There is literally NO MOVEMENT between the detachable rings and the mount!

MtnCreek
June 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
The TAC30 is not all that busy, IMHO. The outer rings give a good reference for close range shooting. If target is in the rings, pull trigger (heck, pull it twice :)). The ballistic part of the reticle is so-so IMHO. The basic rundown is: W/ M855 (I think), center of center-dot is 100. Bottom of center dot is 200 and remaining dots are 300 through 500. Hole in bottom of outer ring is 600. I’m shooting a few different reloads that don’t seem to match, but it’s been close enough to consistently keep it on 18 & 24” targets out to ~400.

Glass is bright all the way to the edges. It’s not like looking through fine glass, but it’s Very good for the $250 I paid for it. I think adjustments are 0.5moa; but that has not been an issue for me because I can’t shoot tighter than 0.5moa w/ a 1-4 with anything I’ve mounted it on (was on mk12/mod 0, now it’s on mk12/mod 1). Parallax is fixed; I don’t know at what distance. I haven’t tried shooting any tiny targets at close range with it. I can get behind it at 100, 200, 300+ and bobble head and the reticle seems to stay put.

The last 3 or 4 scopes I’ve bought have been second hand from here and another forum. There’s a lot of scope sluts out there. Seems like a lot of people buy a scope, mount it and then decide to move on to something different. The TAC30 I bought was just like a new one, no marks, in box perfect for $250 to my door. I bought another scope the other week that sells for ~900 new; snapped it for about 600 delivered. Until I get burned, I’m going to buy used glass. That may be an option you want to look at.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
I agree, buying used Leupold would be worth it as they give a lifetime warranty. The only thing is, the scope should be cosmetically good on the exterior. I returned one because the parallax adjustment was nearly locked up from lack of use. There were minor scratches on the tube and when I got it back, the parallax was perfect, however, the minor scratches were still there.

If you can get a Leupold that has an internal problem and was not tampered with, they will most likely repair or replace the scope for life. Now, if someone tried to fix it and there is evidence that the scope was not serviced by Leupold, be ready to take it back broken or spend money to have Leupold repair it to factory condition. You really cannot blame them, they guarantee what they make, not what someone might have tried to fix and messed up on.:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "What scope for my AR?" thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!