World War I/II Era Bolt Action Rifle- I want one, but which?

PDA

meanmrmustard
June 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
I have shot several Mosins, one Enfield, and a K98 Mauser. No Springfields as of yet. I am itching for a project gun, mainly a long range gun built around one of the four aforementioned rifles. I'm leaning towards one of the first three listed, as I'm not a fan of the 30/06.

Ranges would be 200-400 yards, and this rifle would be doubling as a deer rifle as well as a plinker/paper puncher. Optics aside, I'm looking for the best start. Rifle cost is a bit objective. As is ammo.

Which should I choose and why?

P.S. Please do not begin arguing about the World Wars. If info is insightful and necessary, that's one thing. Tanks, generals, planes, and Hitlers mustache are not welcome. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "World War I/II Era Bolt Action Rifle- I want one, but which?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
June 26, 2012, 11:33 PM
What about an M1?

Lots available still from CMP, even virtually new, unused condition or completely refurbished.

meanmrmustard
June 26, 2012, 11:35 PM
What about an M1?

Lots available still from CMP, even virtually new, unused condition or completely refurbished.
Sorry. I'll edit the OP. I'm wanting a bolt action. Sorry.

ColtPythonElite
June 26, 2012, 11:37 PM
Springfield...The last one I would put on my wish list is a Mosin. While they are fun, I hardly find anything appealing about them other than the price....Bring on the flames.LOL.

courtgreene
June 26, 2012, 11:40 PM
mauser

snakeman
I would suggest either an enfield, springfield, or swiss k31. The k31 will be ready to hunt with when you get it. They're super accurate

Robert
I'd find a K98. One that has already been sporterized if possible.

cfullgraf
June 26, 2012, 11:44 PM
If you do not reload, the Springfield will give you the most ammunition options for hunting.

Otherwise, select the one that rings your bell. They all have their history and capabilities.

Steel Horse Rider
June 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
I think I would go with the K-31 also. I have at least one of all the rifles mentioned but for 400 yds with accuracy and power enough to hunt Elk sized game I would definitely go with the K-31. You may have to do some smithing in order to mount a scope but I think it would be worth the time.

meanmrmustard
June 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
I'll admit I'm lay with these rifles, the Mosin least so. Which of these is going to trump the others accuracy wise?

ColtPythonElite
June 26, 2012, 11:48 PM
The right Springfield can be pretty darn accurate. The ones to avoid are the ones that only had two grooves in the barrel.

I have a 1903 that shot this 5 shot 100 yard group just a few days ago.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166758&d=1340388792

meanmrmustard
June 26, 2012, 11:50 PM
The right Springfield can be pretty darn accurate. The ones to avoid are the ones that only had two grooves in the barrel.
Two! How on Earth did they hit anything?!?!?

Mac Attack
June 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
My 2 grooved 1903A3 is pretty a accurate. I read there was no significant increase in accuracy between the 4 grooved vs the 2 grooved barrels. Some of the 03A4s where 2 grooved A3 that were pulled from the production lines to make A4s.

I agree with the suggestion for a K31 as they are extremely accurate at an affordable price. The only issue I see with the K31 is ammo is not readily available like 30-06. Sure surplus ammo is avail now but it will dry up so unless yous stock ul on ammo or load your own ammo could be an issue in the future.

If you do not have a 1903xx I suggest you get one and maybe a Eddystone P17 :).

firesky101
June 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
I agree the K-31 is one of the most accurate surplus rifles available. If you want to tinker, cut, maim, or otherwise sporterize, you will get far fewer dirty looks doing it to a Mosin. They can be very accurate with a little work, just ask the Finns or any of their targets.

Tom609
June 27, 2012, 12:07 AM
My 2 grooved 1903A3 is pretty a accurate.

I agree. In fact, I'd say mine is very accurate. For the record, my vote would be either the o3a3 or a Finn M39.

Chevelle SS
June 27, 2012, 12:09 AM
buy another K98 Mauser

tahoe2
June 27, 2012, 12:17 AM
If it going to be for deer, paper, and plinking I would go with a 98k chambered in 6.5x55, or 7x57, due to less recoil and great bullet ballistic coefficients. You did say project gun right? Otherwise just a plain ol 98k in 8x57. All of these (ammo) are available at a good sporting goods store; but they really come to life when you reload. I reload for the 8x57 and 7x57, (2-Yugos, 1-German 98, & 2-Spanish). From the bench I can wring out my scoped Yugo 8mm pretty good, 1-1/4"@100yds and 3-1/2"@200 yds. That's a 60+ year old action & barrel !!
Those are 4" dots ; the high shots are from bore sighting to get on paper with a new scope, the 7 shot cluster is Nosler 180gr ballistic tips @ 100yards. not from a bench!

Tinpig
June 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
If you're not a fan of .30-06 maybe it's because you haven't shot one of these three:

M1903
M1903A3
M1917

Made in the USA, part of history, available, beautiful, accurate, fun to shoot, and when you do come around to loving it ;) .30-06 will always be around.

Tinpig

Manny
June 27, 2012, 12:35 AM
If I were in the market those K31's are supposed to be fantastic rifles and the ammo is virtually target grade. Here's a link to a scoped K31 that does some fine shooting:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu37.htm

Were I to set one up I think a 6x Super Sniper would be a superb scope to use and make for a very nice and useful overall package.

I understand they also use regular .308 bullets so if you reload it should be very easy to keep fed.

YankeeFlyr
June 27, 2012, 01:27 AM
Mauser 98!

Float Pilot
June 27, 2012, 02:23 AM
Nobody has mentioned the Swede Mausers.

BCRider
June 27, 2012, 02:50 AM
If you're looking at fitting a scope then few of these accept them in a clean manner. Oh sure, there's options for each. But to my eyes they all see rather kludgey.

I can't offer anything else as I've only shot a LE for one session and my own Mosins for a few more than that. And of the lot the Mosin seems to be the least easy one to effectively and easily fit with a scope.

Dr.Rob
June 27, 2012, 03:06 AM
My Brno K98 outshoots my Remington 1903A3 by a bunch.

Your results may vary.

I've been known to hit a Red Bull can at over 100 yards with the irons on my Kar.. the can was glinting in the sun where I could see it well. ;) I wouldn't hesitate to try hunting with it.

Only bad thing about the 8mm is suplus ammo is harder and harder to find.

vaupet
June 27, 2012, 07:05 AM
I slightly prefer my swede over my k31, both great rifles with comparable accuracy but the swede is much lighter on the shoulder and the bullet has better balistics.

Oh, DrRob, I bet I can hit the RedBull can ath 200 metres with open sights;):D

greetz

Peter

madcratebuilder
June 27, 2012, 07:06 AM
Ranges would be 200-400 yards, and this rifle would be doubling as a deer rifle as well as a plinker/paper puncher. Optics aside, I'm looking for the best start. Rifle cost is a bit objective. As is ammo.

I think the K31 well fill your needs. GP11 surplus is near match grade and available, great for paper. There are several hunting loads available.

The K31 can be scoped with out drilling and tapping. D&T ruins the value of mil-surps. If your going to sporterize it then makes no difference.

SP no drill scope mount with a Weaver K4 steel tube gives me 400 yds with relative ease.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/Swiss%20K-31/K2501.jpg

Since you don't want 30-06 that rules out the 03's and 1917. The Yugo 8mm Mauser's are affordable, lots of surplus around, can be spendy to scope.

critter
June 27, 2012, 07:07 AM
I have several built on M98 actions. Turned out quite well indeed! Plenty of well worn and cobbled up 98 actions are available for customizing without 'destroying history'.

Springfields (03's and 03A3's) are much less so although they make fine firearms. I would not miss with an original though-too costly as is. They are wonderful for shooting as-is.

meanmrmustard
June 27, 2012, 07:26 AM
I think the K31 well fill your needs. GP11 surplus is near match grade and available, great for paper. There are several hunting loads available.

The K31 can be scoped with out drilling and tapping. D&T ruins the value of mil-surps. If your going to sporterize it then makes no difference.

SP no drill scope mount with a Weaver K4 steel tube gives me 400 yds with relative ease.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/Swiss%20K-31/K2501.jpg

Since you don't want 30-06 that rules out the 03's and 1917. The Yugo 8mm Mauser's are affordable, lots of surplus around, can be spendy to scope.
That is a gorgeous rifle! Best looking K31 I've seen! Is that straight pull?

I should have made it a poll, but it seems Mausers are out front.

meanmrmustard
June 27, 2012, 07:35 AM
Found a chap on Armslist selling a 1917 Eddystone for $625. Any thoughts on that?

StrawHat
June 27, 2012, 08:12 AM
When I was growing up, there was a saying that went something like, "...the Mauser was designed by hunters, the Enfield by the military and the Springfield by target shooters..." I have used Enfields and Mausers and find them perfectly adequate for hunting and plinking. A brother of mine likes the Springfields and uses them at Camp Perry.

Kind of a take your pick situation.

wlewisiii
June 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
First a Mauser. Not a Yugo though, but any standard sized K98 type rifle if you intend any modifications. If you plan to leave it in it's mil-spec stock, the Yugo is ok. Still you'd be much better off finding a Czech VZ-24 from between the wars.

Then an Enfield.

Then something in 8mm Lebel. I'd prefer a Berthier over the original Lebel. The MAS 36 in 7.5x54 is an excellent rifle as well

Then a straight pull - K31 would do well enough though there are others of the type available.

Then, perhaps a M1903 or M1917. I'd lean towards the M1917. More interesting to me and much better sights.

VegasAR15
June 27, 2012, 10:35 AM
I would probably go with the K98. If you are planning on making a bit of a project out of it I would try and find one that has already been sporterized to some extent. If you find one that has already been sporterized it is going to be cheaper and the C&R Gods won't smite you when you start modifying it.

Sapper771
June 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
I agree with madcrate and critter. Please dont butcher an original. I have a '43 K98 Mauser with no import mark and all markings intact. It would be worth a lot of money, but some @$$ drilled and tapped it for a scope.

The K31 is a good choice due to the No Tap scope mounting. I am very partial to Finn Mosin Nagants and 1903's. Another option is to just build what you want. AIM has 1903A3 actions for $130 if that floats your boat.

SlamFire1
June 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
Why has everyone forgotten the M1917 Enfield?. It is a fine rifle, better sights than an 03, and shoots the 30-06.

Of the foreign rifles, you got to have a Swiss K31 and a Swedish Mauser. Get them before prices become unreasonable.

For cheap, cheap, cheap, the Mosin Nagant is the way to go. Clumsy, clunky, but it goes bang and shoots well.

Landric
June 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
When I was growing up, there was a saying that went something like, "...the Mauser was designed by hunters, the Enfield by the military and the Springfield by target shooters..." I have used Enfields and Mausers and find them perfectly adequate for hunting and plinking. A brother of mine likes the Springfields and uses them at Camp Perry.

Kind of a take your pick situation.

IIRC the saying was (in reference to WW I rifles):

"The Germans brought a hunting rifle, the Americans brought a target rifle, and the British brought a battle rifle."

My preference, if you are ruling out the Springfield, would be a Lee-Enfield, but then again I am something of an Anglophile. Second choice would be a Mauser 98 in 7.92mm.

Dr.Rob
June 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
All of them in Military trim are heavier than most hunting rifles. And WW1 is a long way from sport hunting.

I'm still shocked Robert suggested a rifle that was NOT an Enfield.

The 1917 Eddystone is the basis for a lot of heavy duty sporters.. it's a very strong action. It's also a fine rifle 'as is,' don't cut it up if it's 'stock'. If it's already sporterized the price is high to me, sight unseen.

I'm sure some experts will chime in with specifics to watch for.

JShirley
June 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
mainly a long range gun built around one of the four aforementioned rifles

So, this will be a "sporterized" rifle that needn't look like a warhorse?

You can buy a modern Mauser fairly inexpensively. It'll be cheaper long-term than buying a WWI/II piece and modifying it. There are also very many Mausers that have been sporterized over the years- some of the nicest custom rifles you can find are sporterized Mausers. Be sure of what you're getting, though- quality can vary between absolute Bubba'd junk and very high-end customs.

You could also look for a P14 Centurion. I have two, one in 7mm Remington Magnum, and one in .300 WM. They were built by Century, and seem to be one of the few rifles Century couldn't find a way to screw up.

The Model 1917 is a terrific rifle, but the Eddystone is actually the least desirable to sporterize, due to the barrels being over-tightened into the receiver.

John

303tom
June 27, 2012, 01:02 PM
I am going to have to go with the Enfield, (BUT) not just the smooth as butter action, yes I am talking about the Ishapore 2A1 rifle yes I know it is not a WWI or II rifle but the action is ! Why ? Because of the 7.62 NATO/.308 Win. it is a more efficient round than others of that era save the 6.5x55 Swede.............

mookiie
June 27, 2012, 05:03 PM
+1 for K31 - most accurate milsurp on the market or the price.

meanmrmustard
June 27, 2012, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to talk the guy with the 1917 down to $500. He may bite.

That aside, I'm digging what I hear of the K31. I hate Wikipedia, so who knows the history?

Also, gun weight is a non issue. Here in the show me state, deer come to us:)
But for walking, I grab the Interarms mkx in .223 with 55 gr Barnes tsx. It drops em no prob.
I will be hunting in an elaborate home built blind this year, expecting 300 yard or better shots. But. Most importantly, I've been craving a warhorse.

Mac Attack
June 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
Go to the CMP forum to get a 1917 or a 1903 if you change your mind and go with a 06. You will get a good rifle from people who know 03s and 1917s. $500 for a 1917 isnt bad but you need to know what to look for since you can't handle the rifle. I have seen good 03A3 and 17s for less than $500 in the cmp forum.

The_Armed_Therapist
June 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
I'm currently interested in the Enfield No. 4. 10-round capacity, loads with clips, peep sights, longer barrel, etc. If they were semi-automatic, I'd probably have several by now. I instead elected to get an M1 first and am now looking for a bolt gun. This is my favorite as far as features are concerned.

meanmrmustard
June 27, 2012, 08:19 PM
What is an 1891 Argentine Mauser, in damn near perfect condition, worth?

Also, I've never tried, but is Cabelas negotiable?

NorthwolfeCND
June 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
Swiss K31 Carbine 7.5x55 (GP11 Round)...the best of them all...enough said.

meanmrmustard
June 27, 2012, 08:50 PM
I'm currently interested in the Enfield No. 4. 10-round capacity, loads with clips, peep sights, longer barrel, etc. If they were semi-automatic, I'd probably have several by now. I instead elected to get an M1 first and am now looking for a bolt gun. This is my favorite as far as features are concerned.
Thread jack much?

303tom
June 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
Sounds like someone talking out their

The_Armed_Therapist
June 28, 2012, 12:06 AM
Thread jack much?

Apologies... Been here a lot today and involved in similar threads. I didn't realize I presented that way.

35 Whelen
June 28, 2012, 12:25 AM
Currently I own a 1903, two 1903A3's and a 1917. They're all pretty accurate, but the 03A3's are by far the most accurate. I've owned a number of Mausers for years and they're accuracy is directly proportionate to the quality of the barrels; some OK, some not.
I've owned as many as 4 No.4 enfields and still have one. Accuracy is so-so.
I've owned over the years 6-8 Mosins. Accuracy is spotty, though generally acceptable. But the thing they have going for them is they're cheap...that's about it.
I own five K-31's and for very good reason: they're EXTREMELY accurate. Period. I've not fired any issue military rifle that comes close although I'm sure the Swedish Mausers are quite good.
IMHO the K31's have it over the Swede's simply because .30 caliber bullets are so popular and plentiful.
Like someone else said, snatch up a K-31 before the prices go out of sight...and they will. For $250 -$300 you can buy an issue K-31 that will easily outshoot a $700-$800 1903, 03A3 or 1917. Buy a clamp-on scope mount and a good scope, and you're all set!
35W

JShirley
June 28, 2012, 01:07 AM
I own

a Lee-Enfield #4, one of the last "Irish" ones
1 sporterized 1903
2 sporterized P14s
2 bubba'd 1917s (one not bad, one crap)

The 03 is a terrific deer rifle, and I made my longest hit on a deer with it. (173 yards- not as long as you mention, but a decent distance.)

The P14 and 1917 make excellent, very tough platforms for rifles. In the past, they were the basis for some dangerous game rifles, because they are so sturdy, and have a nice large magazine (being built in the Pattern 14 original version to hold 5 of the rimmed .303 cartridges). The problem with using an Eddystone is removing the original barrel without damaging the receiver.

Some easy 1917 conversions:
.25-06
6.5-06
.280 Remington
.35 Whelen

John

meanmrmustard
June 28, 2012, 05:06 AM
Apologies... Been here a lot today and involved in similar threads. I didn't realize I presented that way.
It's ok. I'm now hopping between your thread and mine. No worries.

meanmrmustard
June 28, 2012, 05:07 AM
I own

a Lee-Enfield #4, one of the last "Irish" ones
1 sporterized 1903
2 sporterized P14s
2 bubba'd 1917s (one not bad, one crap)

The 03 is a terrific deer rifle, and I made my longest hit on a deer with it. (173 yards- not as long as you mention, but a decent distance.)

The P14 and 1917 make excellent, very tough platforms for rifles. In the past, they were the basis for some dangerous game rifles, because they are so sturdy, and have a nice large magazine (being built in the Pattern 14 original version to hold 5 of the rimmed .303 cartridges). The problem with using an Eddystone is removing the original barrel without damaging the receiver.

Some easy 1917 conversions:
.25-06
6.5-06
.280 Remington
.35 Whelen

John
Thanks for the info on the Eddystone. I have read of the barrel removal woes elsewhere too.

inclinebench
June 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
I have hunted with "modern" hunting rifles, then I got into surplus, then I got into K31s. I find it to be my favorite and most accurite surplus rifle. This is my latest project that I plan to hunt with this fall.

JShirley
June 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
Heck of a barrel on that.

John

inclinebench
June 28, 2012, 02:18 PM
Not sure what you mean, but the barrel works well for me.

meanmrmustard
June 28, 2012, 02:33 PM
Well, everyone is going to hate me. Im taking delivery of another rifle in the morning.

Anybody that knows me, or actually reads my posts, knows that I am a huge fan of gas piston semi automatic weapons. But I cant pass up a deal.

Fella I work with is selling me his BARELY USED S&W M&P-15 Sport, 2 pmags, bulldog tac bag, 100 rounds of 556, all for $600. It only has 80 rounds through it...i know this because 40 were shot by him, the other forty by me the same day! I loathe DI guns, but for the price, I cant help it!

Now Ill have two of them. Guess one is a zombie killer, the other a truck/deer/varmint/SD gun. The Sport is the only one Ive ever kept, and I kinda want another one. Its paid for, so thanks for all the help. You guys are the best. Ill post pics of it (even though we all know what they look like) after work tomorrow.:)

SgtGenDanbo
June 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
I own most of the bolt rifles mentioned and my personal favorite is the Finn Nagant. It's a little heavy, but ammo's cheap and it shoots great. Second choice would be K98. Congrats on the new gun by the way, and good luck getting a bolt action in the future.

Uncle Grinch
June 28, 2012, 05:01 PM
You have been given a lot of options based on a lot of opinions, which everyone rightfully has, including myself. I call myself a milsurp collector and own or have owned most every one that has been suggested. I'm partial to the Mausers, especially the Swedes and Argentine, and even the 1908 Brazilians.

However if you're like most of us, your best bet will be whichever one you find that feels the best and is in good enough condition and is priced right; be it USA, German, Swede, Argy, Finn, Swiss, Russian, British, Japanese, Italian or what. It's your choice to make.

xerxesthecat
June 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
I have about 2 dozen 98k/gew.98/98b rifles, both sniper and standard. I like them. I have often beat guys fielding garands on the CMP range, but the semi has a distinct advantage in the rapid fire event, and if I compete seriously, I'll take the M1 without a second thought. As good as the 8mm m98 is, I think the m96 6.5x55 swede is better, and I own quite a few, sporter and original. late in the war, the germans even admitted in their sniper program that the 6.5 and even 7x57 were superior cartridges to their 8mm, so if you are shooting distance, its an honest self-assessment. The '03 is for all intents an expensive .30 cal m98 with different sights. the 03a3 is the same rifle with superior sights. Enfields are cheap, accurate and have a large mag capacity, any of the Finnish M91 line is usually superior to the cheaper Russian models in terms of fit, finish, and accuracy. My m39's and m28 shot as well or better than my 'tuned up' soviet 91/30 early war sniper rebuild.
But I have to be honest, the way you were trying to bash me in another thread, I thought you knew everything there was to know about ww2 rifles in total. Try to be civil, ok? Good luck with this hobby, it is fun and addictive. But reloading for your surplus rifle is always recommended.

meanmrmustard
June 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
I have about 2 dozen 98k/gew.98/98b rifles, both sniper and standard. I like them. I have often beat guys fielding garands on the CMP range, but the semi has a distinct advantage in the rapid fire event, and if I compete seriously, I'll take the M1 without a second thought. As good as the 8mm m98 is, I think the m96 6.5x55 swede is better, and I own quite a few, sporter and original. late in the war, the germans even admitted in their sniper program that the 6.5 and even 7x57 were superior cartridges to their 8mm, so if you are shooting distance, its an honest self-assessment. The '03 is for all intents an expensive .30 cal m98 with different sights. the 03a3 is the same rifle with superior sights. Enfields are cheap, accurate and have a large mag capacity, any of the Finnish M91 line is usually superior to the cheaper Russian models in terms of fit, finish, and accuracy. My m39's and m28 shot as well or better than my 'tuned up' soviet 91/30 early war sniper rebuild.
But I have to be honest, the way you were trying to bash me in another thread, I thought you knew everything there was to know about ww2 rifles in total. Try to be civil, ok? Good luck with this hobby, it is fun and addictive. But reloading for your surplus rifle is always recommended.
If you felt I was bashing, I apologize. I fancy myself an enthusiast, not an expert. I know what gun shoots what, what action each has, and everything in between. But, as far as this subject goes, I want to hear from you guys what FUTURE milsurp bolt gun is the cats meow.

Xerxes, your knowledge and additions to this thread are as valued as anyone else's, and once again, if for any reason I rubbed you the wrong way, not sure of where or when, but I'm sorry anyway.
In summation, I messed with a few k98s after work today. I think, funds allowing, this will be the model.

JShirley
June 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
inclinebench, the picture makes it look like maybe a 25" barrel?

To the OP, Mausers and their Springfield clone do feel really great. :)

John

Bushpilot
June 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
When you say "project gun" do you mean that you're looking for an old military surplus bolt rifle to hack up? There are plenty of cheap, used, sporters or previously hacked-up "sportorized" milsurps out there already that cutting up and ruining yet another good old bolt rifle really makes no financial sense, or any other sense, at all. For every 1 or 2 high quality "sporterized," or what ever you want to call them, rifles out there are 50 or 100 hack jobs. Sorry, but every time I see a fine old miliatary bolt gun drilled for a scope and setting in a plain old "drop-in" stock or worse it just makes me sad/mad for the loss. Now if you mean that you mean that you would like an old milsurp bolt gun to hunt deer with and shoot at the range because thats another story entirely. I'm not sure what you have against the 30/06, especially for a rifle that will "double as a deer rifle" but that eliminates the Springfield and 1917 Enfield. The 8 mm 98 Mauser or M48 is probably the next best, only because of a more limited selection of bullets compared to the 30/06. The 303 Lee-Enfield is right up there also. A M96/M38 is right up there near the top too and makes a great deer rifle, although you could buy a good M48 for less. The K31 is not bad but not a lot of widely available hunting ammo choices. Mosin, Arisaka and Carcano would be at the bottom of my personal list, probably in roughly that order due to the wide availability of cheap Mosin rifles and ammo..

nathan
June 29, 2012, 09:02 PM
Nothing beats a Finn M39. I recommend you get it first. Ammo is just so available and affordable. SGammo has the Russian heavy ball which usually translate to tighter groups. Enough said.

meanmrmustard
June 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
When you say "project gun" do you mean that you're looking for an old military surplus bolt rifle to hack up? There are plenty of cheap, used, sporters or previously hacked-up "sportorized" milsurps out there already that cutting up and ruining yet another good old bolt rifle really makes no financial sense, or any other sense, at all. For every 1 or 2 high quality "sporterized," or what ever you want to call them, rifles out there are 50 or 100 hack jobs. Sorry, but every time I see a fine old miliatary bolt gun drilled for a scope and setting in a plain old "drop-in" stock or worse it just makes me sad/mad for the loss. Now if you mean that you mean that you would like an old milsurp bolt gun to hunt deer with and shoot at the range because thats another story entirely. I'm not sure what you have against the 30/06, especially for a rifle that will "double as a deer rifle" but that eliminates the Springfield and 1917 Enfield. The 8 mm 98 Mauser or M48 is probably the next best, only because of a more limited selection of bullets compared to the 30/06. The 303 Lee-Enfield is right up there also. A M96/M38 is right up there near the top too and makes a great deer rifle, although you could buy a good M48 for less. The K31 is not bad but not a lot of widely available hunting ammo choices. Mosin, Arisaka and Carcano would be at the bottom of my personal list, probably in roughly that order due to the wide availability of cheap Mosin rifles and ammo..
I got another AR. Smith Sport, to replace one I sold last week. I'll be getting a K31 in the near future.

Blue Brick
July 1, 2012, 05:20 PM
91/30 is a strong contender…

The Moisin Nagant has a rep for being the most accurate of the mass produced milsurp rifles due to the fact that when in battery, the locking lugs are vertical rather than horizontal or at an angle. This makes the action more rigid and results in less barrel vibration.

This one really shoots.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=258433

If you enjoyed reading about "World War I/II Era Bolt Action Rifle- I want one, but which?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!