Next Purchase

PDA

The_Armed_Therapist
June 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
I have an M1 Garand, a Norinco SKS, a Ruger 10/22, and a Marlin 1894. I want my next rifle to be a bolt gun, good for hunting, and good for range time. Nothing fancy need apply! Price range is not very high, which is why I am trying to decide between these older military rifles and the newer, low-end models.

So, should I pick up a surplus rifle or buy a newer, low-end rifle? Next, which one in those categories would fulfill my needs the best?

As for ammunition, if it's a modern rifle, I'd prefer .308 or .30-06. If it's not one of those, then I'd prefer the ammo to be as common/plentiful as possible. I'm really not familiar with the availability/pricing of ammo like 8mm, .303, etc.

I would also prefer a longer barrel...

Thanks for the help! There is so much out there that it's overwhelming.

If you enjoyed reading about "Next Purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexAg
June 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
Take a look at the K31.

M91/30
June 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
I've seen lots of 30-06 bolt action rifles going for 200-300 lately. Guns that normally cost 500-600 in any other caliber and dirt cheap in '06. I just bought a savage 110 '06 for 230$ with a scope setup and a box of ammo.

If your really strapped for cash and can't afford anything modern a mosin will work fine but you really need to know what your doing when you buy one. There are alot of variables that will make the difference between a moa gun and a "it hits paper @25yrds gun.

Mosins are the best bang for the buck but money equals quality. So, if your looking at doing long range your going to need something better. Recently I was shooting at over a 1000 yrds uphill with iron sights on a mosin and grouping within 2-3ft. But if I had a decently accurate '06(almost any bolt gun will do 1moa) And a decent scope and base I would have been hitting the plate every time.

The_Armed_Therapist
June 27, 2012, 04:48 PM
The K31 looks very interesting. I do have a concern about the availability of the 7.5x55 ammo, as well as about the action. It's simply a matter of never having used the straight-pull bolt. I'll check it out, though!

I don't plan on any long-range shooting with it. 300 yards, tops... 2-3MOA.

mookiie
June 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
Don't get a Remington 770, they are supposed to be very awful firearms.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=296715

FMF Doc
June 27, 2012, 05:03 PM
depending on which version of the Lee Enfield you are looking at, they can be quite pricey. However, a SMLE Mk. IV is possibly the best bolt action rifle ever built. If you can, just work the bolt on one, and you know why almost anyone who has one, loves it!

M91/30
June 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
Id just look for a used '06 and if you don't find one go to http://7.62x54r.net/ and read up for a while on nagants. If your gonna range shoot in any quantity your gonna spend more on ammo than the gun, seeing as how you have a m1 garand you probably understand how spendy '06 is. 7.62x54r in bulk is pretty inaccurate ammo but will let you bruise your shoulder and have fun.
Id go with the mosin, if you get a nice one they are pretty, fairly accurate, durable, and cheap. The downfall is they are heavy and if you have bad eyes or aren't used to iron's you might have trouble taking longer shots. Especially seeing as how the sights are fairly crude and will cover up the deers entire shoulder with the post and eclipse alot of it with the pin protector. Buy a single box of hunting loads(soft point) for the 20-30$ they cost and you could hunt with them. I got a dear 2 years ago from 100yrds in the heart and it dropped 5 yrds from where I shot it. So, anyways hope this helps you make a decision.

whetrock
June 27, 2012, 05:16 PM
I'd say go for a 91/30 and use the rest of the cash to go towards a small ammo cache of cheaper surplus stuff and have fun shooting a centerfire rifle in higher volume. The K31 is laso a nice rifle but a bit high IMO when you consider that for not much more you could have a Savage 111 or 110.

adelbridge
June 27, 2012, 05:19 PM
Marlin XL7 is a nice budget gun. I dont know what your price range is but gun shows down here are filled up with good Rugers, Remingtons and Winchesters for $400 and under.

JEB
June 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
if i were in the market for a budget hunting rifle, i would take a long hard look at the ruger american rifle. got a chance to fondle one recently and it was surprisingly light and felt more solid than i had expected. you can get it in your choice of .243, .270, .308, and .30-06. the one i was looking at was a .30-06 and the price was right around $350 brand new.

The_Armed_Therapist
June 27, 2012, 05:35 PM
I'm currently leaning toward the Enfield No. 4 as far as the rifle is concerned. The .303 isn't my preferred round by any means, but I really like what the Enfield offers. But, as I indicated, I'm open to whatever else might be a good fit for me.

I'm a young grad student (26) with my 4th kid on the way and had to save for quite a while to purchase the M1. I'm thinking $300 or under. Since I like the Enfield and Mosins, I really don't want to spend much more on a cheap modern rifle.

dprice3844444
June 27, 2012, 05:58 PM
try to find an enfield #4mk2,the trigger is atteched to the frame

shaggy430
June 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
You've got an M1 and an SKS so you've already got a couple milsurps. For a serious rifle hunting rifle, I'd buy one made for hunting. You should have no trouble finding a good used Winchester, Remington (NO 710 or 770), or Savage for $350 chambered in 30-06, .308, or .270. I don't think I've seen an Enfield go for that cheap around here and .303 British ammo is hard to find and more expensive than the big 3 popular hunting calibers.

If you are leaning toward the Enfield then more power to you, but it leads me to believe that you are more collecting guns than looking for a hunting rifle.

The_Armed_Therapist
June 27, 2012, 06:14 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen Enfield No. 4s for $250... If I'm wrong about that, I guess my whole thinking starts over.

Robert
June 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'd look around for a newer, post 2008, Winchester M70. They make some budget rifles that are still pretty decent.

The_Armed_Therapist
June 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
One of my problems with the newer rifles is that they're made for scopes and don't even have factory iron sights. I'm not really interested in using a scope. The peep sights on the Enfield are what I really like... Also, the Garand. I put them on my Ruger 10/22 as well and will probably do the same with the SKS and even the Marlin if I can find some good ones.

Do they make a lot of after-market sight options for the newer, cheap, modern rifles that are made for scopes?

wlewisiii
June 27, 2012, 07:45 PM
Swedish or Persian Mauser. Pretty sure SAMCO still has them. Of the two, I'd prefere the Swedish because the 6.5x55 is, for my preferences, the better cartridge.

MrDig
June 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
Mossberg 4x4 .243 or .308

meanmrmustard
June 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Any ideas on the value of an Argentine Mauser in very good condition?

NorthwolfeCND
June 27, 2012, 08:28 PM
You forgot the best of them all: Swiss K31 Carbine 7.5x55 (GP11 Round).

Just bought a Christensen Carbon One Ranger .50, haven't seen it yet so it will be new for me when I return to USA.

slowr1der
June 28, 2012, 02:23 AM
Savage Model 10/110 would be much better than anything listed.

firesky101
June 28, 2012, 02:40 AM
If you like irons, it is hard to beat the feel of a lever gun. They might be a little higher than you are looking for, but there is just something magical about levers and iron sights. Other than the sight issue, I would say the Ruger American is a good option. I have held a couple, just not received mine yet.

meanmrmustard
June 28, 2012, 05:17 AM
You're in same boat as me, from the sound of it. Guess I'm going to hunt down a K31. Maybe we both should!:)

Kachok
June 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
Something else. Lover Savages but the Axis has a super flimsy stock, and heavy trigger. The Rem 770 should be avoided at ALL COSTS. The Mosin is fun but heavy, bulky and not up to par in the accuracy department, the Mausers are great but by time you get a good one and restore/retrofit it you are deep in the $$$$.
On a tight budget your best bet is a T3 or Savage 110, both are top notch and are easy on the wallet. If you are on a super tight budget and have to be less then $350 scope and all I would go with the Mossberg ATR though I have never regretted spending the extra $30 on my Savage 110.

jem375
June 28, 2012, 09:50 AM
Why anyone would buy a M/N is beyond me... I gave away a 91/30 at the range because it was a piece of crap, still own a M44 and I don't even keep it in my safe in case of a burglary they can have the damn thing...

mooner
June 28, 2012, 10:27 AM
I saw a used Savage 110 in 270 win the other day for $250. It was a pre accutrigger and didn't look like it had been fired much. Also had a walnut stock with a few dings in it, nothing major. Would clean up nice. The most surprising thing is it was at a Gander Mountain! They never have any deals!

brnmuenchow
June 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
Depending on your budget I would suggest either a Mosin Nagant M91/30 PU Sniper for a scoped target/ hunting rifle or an SKS also scoped for 200+ yd shots. for the price of the scoped guns you will save a small fortune in ammo (Even using the commercial SP's for 7.62X54R & 7.62X39mm is still cheaper than buying premium ammo.):)

The_Armed_Therapist
June 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I'm really interested in the K31 now, too. I'm still cautious of the ammo cost, but am very curious about the straight pull bolt action. I'll try to hit up some gun stores this weekend and see if I can track one down.

The_Armed_Therapist
June 28, 2012, 02:19 PM
I purposely exaggerated my budget a bit because I wanted to stay objective as far as the debate between the older military rifles and the newer, low-end, hunting rifles. I've seen Savage 10s/110s for $350-$400 (it's awesome that they've been listed for even less!) and I'm still considering that route. But for now, I want to sort out in my mind what the best option would be based upon the criteria I listed here, then compare it to the Savage 10. I've also seen Remington 700s for sub-$400, which I'm guessing is a comparable to the Savage 10. Basically, I'm not trying to pinch pennies, but look as closely as I can at quality from ground, up, and deciding where my cut-off is going to be. I hope this makes sense... I'm in a hurry at the moment and fear it might not. HAHA

meanmrmustard
June 28, 2012, 02:23 PM
Something else. Lover Savages but the Axis has a super flimsy stock, and heavy trigger. The Rem 770 should be avoided at ALL COSTS. The Mosin is fun but heavy, bulky and not up to par in the accuracy department, the Mausers are great but by time you get a good one and restore/retrofit it you are deep in the $$$$.
On a tight budget your best bet is a T3 or Savage 110, both are top notch and are easy on the wallet. If you are on a super tight budget and have to be less then $350 scope and all I would go with the Mossberg ATR though I have never regretted spending the extra $30 on my Savage 110.
I dont know about $700 being easy on the wallet!

Kachok
June 28, 2012, 10:55 PM
$700!!! Heck no, I have never paid nearly that much for a rifle, not even close, I bought NIB Rem 700 CDL for $363, Tikka T3 Stainless for $408, and my Savage 11 was my record $450. My other rifles were between $125 and $380

meanmrmustard
June 28, 2012, 11:02 PM
$700!!! Heck no, I have never paid nearly that much for a rifle, not even close, the most I have ever paid for any NIB rifle was $450. I look for bargins or nagotiate on higher end rifles.
Smart man. They're that much new round these parts, idk about pre owned. May have to look into that.
Personally, I'm digging a Mauser.

Kachok
June 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
I am a salesman by trade, I am good at finding bargins and nagotiation, I cannot ever recall paying retail for any big ticket item. You would hate me if I told you what I pay for my vehicles :D

almherdfan
June 28, 2012, 11:23 PM
I recently purchased a Savage Axis .223. Love this thing.

meanmrmustard
June 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
I am a salesman by trade, I am good at finding bargins and nagotiation, I cannot ever recall paying retail for any big ticket item. You would hate me if I told you what I pay for my vehicles :D
Most likely. But, then again, my ride is a 96 S10 4x4 with 190,000 miles. I envy everyone!

Kachok
June 28, 2012, 11:32 PM
Most likely. But, then again, my ride is a 96 S10 4x4 with 190,000 miles. I envy everyone!
Oh that is nothing, my car had 340,000 miles when I finnaly sold it, and my truck has 207,000 and I don't envy anyone's ride because mine are paid for before I ever leave the dealership :D

meanmrmustard
June 28, 2012, 11:34 PM
Oh that is nothing, my car had 340,000 miles when I finnaly sold it, and my truck has 207,000 and I don't envy anyone's ride because mine are paid for before I ever leave the dealership :D
You are a man of the world, Kachok.

Forgive me not using the search, but is the T3 s trigger adjustable?

Kachok
June 28, 2012, 11:39 PM
You are a man of the world, Kachok.

Forgive me not using the search, but is the T3 s trigger adjustable?
Yes it can be turned down to 2lbs and still break crisp. IMHO it is the best factory trigger out there, I like it even more then the accutrigger.

snakeman
June 28, 2012, 11:45 PM
Howa m1500 or weatherby vanguard s2

Ar180shooter
June 29, 2012, 01:32 AM
Savage 111 XP or Stevens Model 200.

Kachok
June 29, 2012, 09:34 AM
Lots of good choices listed here, most of which I completlty agree with, just remember to shoulder whichever rifle you like before ordering one. I absolulty love the Weatherby/Howa reputation but when I actualy shoulderd the rifle it was just too big and bulky for me. The best shooting rifle is going to be the one that you are comfortable shooting.

The_Armed_Therapist
June 29, 2012, 09:54 AM
I actually kinda prefer bigger, bulkier, and heavier. Looking at the modern, cheaper rifles, I'm naturally inclined to lean towards the Mossberg 4x4 because it is a 24" barrel compared to the 22" barrels of the others. It's also a little heavier, of course. I owned a Mosin for a while and liked it for the same reason. Garand, too. The three that I already currently have are all smaller and lighter.

Kachok
June 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
Heavy rifles are great in a treestand, but for stalk hunts I'll take my 6lbs Tikka over the heavy/bulky guns without a doubt.

Buck Kramer
June 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
Everyone needs a mosin, a close second would be a k31 (even though I don't have one yet)

Ignition Override
June 29, 2012, 08:52 PM
FreedomFreak:
Even a pretty small gun show (all of ours are small) often has at least one K-31.

About a year ago, an Italian guy who has buddies in Switzerland stated that the Swiss government has vast amounts of GP-11 ammo.
Maybe they will continue exporting it to the US.

longrange308
June 30, 2012, 03:23 AM
I have three 1895 Chilean Mausers chambered in 7X57 (not for sale), I think you should look for one of these as they are great rifles, especially for hunting. 7X57 Mauser is a great caliber.

Bobson
June 30, 2012, 03:52 AM
Something else. Lover Savages but the Axis has a super flimsy stock, and heavy trigger. The Rem 770 should be avoided at ALL COSTS.
I agree the stock feels pretty low quality (feels hollow), but it actually is an acceptably durable stock, IMHO. The Savage Axis trigger feels just fine to me.

Honestly, I find the Savage Axis rifles to be an exceptional value for the price, given their durability and accuracy. I'll continue to recommend them to anyone and everyone searching for a quality budget rifle.

I fully agree with your opinion of the Remington 770.

35 Whelen
June 30, 2012, 04:08 AM
Take a look at the K31.
^^^^
This.

Yeah, I'm really interested in the K31 now, too. I'm still cautious of the ammo cost, but am very curious about the straight pull bolt action. I'll try to hit up some gun stores this weekend and see if I can track one down.

The workmanship of the metal on the rifles is unbelieveable, much like a well made commercial rifle. GP-11 is by all rights match grade ammo (that coming from a 30+ year handloader) and sells for about 50 per round. Prvi, which is pretty good ammunition itself, sells for about $14 a box last I checked.

35W

Bushpilot
July 1, 2012, 12:06 AM
Milsurp bolt guns are great but if you have any idea of putting a scope on it just skip the milsurp and buy an inexpensive sporter. There are many models out there to chose from in the $200-500 range, both used and new, and most of them are going to be as or more accurate than most milsurps and chambered for cartridges that are likely to have a better hunting bullet selection and availability in most cases.

If you enjoyed reading about "Next Purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!