duracoat a revolver

PDA

1badman
June 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
Anyone duracoat a revolver? Any info tips or how to's? Thinking of buying a cheap revolver to try it.

If you enjoyed reading about "duracoat a revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bikemutt
June 28, 2012, 12:01 AM
I've seen results ranging from very nice to huh? Also seen pro-to-be durocoaters looking for cheap guns to practice on. The last one I saw had been a carry gun for about a year and was only just starting to show signs of muzzle wear.

I thought about doing it on a non-collector Smith but opted for a bead-blasted blue, glad I did.

Feanor
June 28, 2012, 12:54 AM
Anyone duracoat a revolver? Any info tips or how to's? Thinking of buying a cheap revolver to try it.
No I haven't, nor would I. I would hard chome it though, hard chome is just an excellent, ultra durable finish. Duracoat has a reputation for wearing, and most of the firearms I've seen coated with it were in the process of wearing.

Perhaps it must be professionally applied for best results.

CraigC
June 28, 2012, 01:17 AM
I'd prefer to stick to more traditional finishes for revolvers. Got no problem with it on other guns.

1badman
June 28, 2012, 02:27 AM
I'm pretty good with custom stuff so I figure to try just looking to get pointed in the right direction.

iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns
June 28, 2012, 05:26 AM
Saw this photo online the other day :D
bikemutt, I think this falls under the 'huh?' category

(this is not my gun)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8154/7459723152_d2deb81990_z.jpg

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 28, 2012, 09:55 AM
Wish I had taken pictures. I Duracoated a Iver Johnson 8 shot .22 after a guy tried to cold blue it. It turned out good. He shoots it religiously too.

Orion8472
June 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
Cerakote would be a harder finish.

webfox
June 28, 2012, 10:34 AM
The mostly purple revolver looks like crap, but if the perp is still alive, you can always say, "You just got owned by a purple gun."

If there's some way to pass that on to his or her prison buddies, more the better.

Then again, I worked at a gun shop, and always told the women, if you want to own a gun that won't constantly be borrowed, "Get the pink one."

jdmb03
June 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
I had CCR Cerakote a stainless GP100 in a matte black finish, it turned out well. I don't have the gun anymore so no pics, sorry.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/index.html

19-3Ben
June 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
ilikeoldgunsilikenewguns- The only other thing you'd have to do to really complete the look of that gun is to duracoat a band of orange around the muzzle. That way it could REALLY look like a toy.

(I'm going to guess there is a law against doing that. Don't take this post as a serious suggestion.)

jdomin
June 29, 2012, 09:26 AM
I bought a model 43 airweight from a guy that coated the cylinder .Thefinish did not wear off. I believe it was the stuff brownells sells in the aerosal can .

camsdaddy
June 29, 2012, 06:38 PM
I coated a model 13 with durabake a while back. Overall I have been pleased. I do know that if I carried it in kydex it wouldn't hold up

Jaymo
June 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
I have a High Standard Sentinel Mk 3 (1970s Dan Wesson, sold under the HS name) .357 that I bought CHEAP at the LGS. I got it cheap because of the uglied-up bluing and small rust pits. I figured I'll either Parkerize it or fill the pits with Dura Fill, JB Weld, or Lab Metal and Dura Coat it.
Still haven't decided.

Coal Dragger
June 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
Yuck. How about Robar NP3 or have the revolver done in industrial hard chrome?

If you enjoyed reading about "duracoat a revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!