A Hi Point Carbine question

PDA

Foot Traffic
June 28, 2012, 02:57 PM
Recently i have been toying with the idea of picking up a pistol caliber carbine to help my gun collection continue to be fruitful and multiply. In looking around at various options i have settled on a 9mm Hi Point carbine. In my research it seems that the only real complaint with them is a distressing lack of hicap mags. :fire: It seems that the .45 version takes modded 1911 mags, so i took a stab in the dark and guessed that the 9mm version might take mags from a 9mm 1911. Unfortunately it seems that those only exist with the same external dimensions as the .45. :banghead: So getting to the point, is there any posibility of fitting the 9mm version into a .45 stock and then using the 1911 mags? Any guidance would be sweet!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "A Hi Point Carbine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred in Wisc
June 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
Looking at it, I don't think so. But the hipoint mags aren't that expensive (I think $21) and they work great. It would be cool if they were bigger than 10 rounds.

The HP carbine is one of my most entertaining guns, especially considering how cheap it was.

King_John_I
June 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
No but my buddy bought one from Grabagun.com.
Really cheap i think

WALKERs210
June 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
I don't remember where I got it but there is a 15rd mag for the Hi-Point. Other than being just darn ugly it is one of my favorite firearms.

bigfatdave
June 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
hi-point magazines are too cheap to bother making an attempt to get something else to fit.

9mm 1911 magazines are almost all designed to fit in a standard 1911 magwell, for that matter my .22lr 1911 magazines are designed to fit in a .45 grip ... because that's what size a 1911 grip is

If you want a hi-point carbine, just get it and stock up on hi-point magazines, they're cheap but not always easy to find.

Other hi-point carbine complaints:
-they're UGLY.
-they should share magazines with the hi-point pistols, but don't
-the bolt hold-open is strange.
-you'll be embarrassed at how comfortable that UGLY gun is to shoot ... someone at that company knows ergonomics and doesn't care about aesthetics.
... I've enjoyed shooting quite a few of them, they're pretty spiffy for the price point and if I didn't have my PCC needs covered I'd get one.

DanTheFarmer
June 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Hi,

I've got a Hi-Point 995TS and love it. What a hoot to shoot. I'm using the Pro-Mag 15 round magazine most of the time. I've got one and another one is in the mail to me as we speak. From reading the internet boards some people have been having problems with the Pro-Mags and some have not. Mine has been flawless and so much fun you can see that I ordered another

Many of the complaints about the Pro-Mag seem to be from people who have the older 995, not the 995TS version which is sold now.

Good luck and think about risking $25 to see if the Pro-Mag will work for you.

Dan

kcshooter
June 29, 2012, 02:04 PM
I had one for a long time, but sold it when I bought a KelTec Sub2000. It beat the HiPoint in the two places I had a complaint, the weight and the low capacity.

My KelTec is the Glock mag version, so it takes 32rd Glock mags and it weighs a LOT less than the HiPoint did.

Foot Traffic
June 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
Ah well a fellow can dream! Thanks for all the input and if anyone finds differently let me know!

savage1r
June 29, 2012, 04:46 PM
I did the same thing as kcshooter. Though I have to admit, I have no complaints about the hi-points functionality and accuracy. I was amazed at the groups it could get at 100yds on a bench with a scope. The only thing that made me switch up was the mag capacity. I could DEFINITELY see myself picking up a .45 if it came in at the right price, especially since I already have the .45 pistol.

jonnyc
June 30, 2012, 09:27 PM
A HP995 in an ATI stock is almost (repeat, almost) a thing of beauty.

fallout mike
July 1, 2012, 12:12 AM
From what I understand the 15 rd promags have had the problems corrected. You can order the originals directly from hipoint for $18 each including shipping.

bikerdoc
July 1, 2012, 12:15 PM
I like my Hi Point Carbine, but.......

Then I found a ruger PC 9 Carbine, takes Ruger P95 mags.
Handles like a M1 carbine and with a 4X scope it has become my go to pistol caliber carbine.

Highly recommend.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Hi Point Carbine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!