Help Me Scope My 300WSM

PDA

Sock Puppet
June 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
I'm about to break down and throw down the cash on a Browning A Bolt in 300WSM. After exhausting my Man-Funds on the rifle I plan on starting to save for optics. I have a good 3-10 scope in the safe that I'll put on it in the short term.

Budget wil be arond $600 or so. I plan on using it for general target shooting out to 600 yards or so, but won't focus on hard-core paper punching. Someday I'll score an Oryx hunt and use this rifle, and may use it for other game along the way. I'd like to get at least 12X on the top end. I want to keep the objective around 40mm or so to keep the scope low. I have had great luck with Burris Signature Zee rings and will probably use them on this rig.

Please don't hesitate to recommend scopes that have a higher MSRP but can be had for less.

All advice is appreciated.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Me Scope My 300WSM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
June 28, 2012, 11:03 PM
SWFA SS HD scopes are right at $600 and very, very good. Fixed power, but they come in 6x, 10x, 12x, 16x, and 20x.

Sock Puppet
June 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
I've heard that, but I'm not sure about going with fixed power on this rig.

TurtlePhish
June 28, 2012, 11:06 PM
They have an adjustable line, but those are closer to $1k+.

Jdillon
June 28, 2012, 11:31 PM
Mounted a Swaro Z3 4x12x50 on my 300WSM and works very well. Crystal clear and great light gathering capability.

Sock Puppet
June 28, 2012, 11:35 PM
I'd love a Z3...but it's about 50% over where I'd like to be. I won't argue that it may be worth it, but unfortunately, that doesn't mean I can swing it.

Gtscotty
June 29, 2012, 01:02 AM
Hmm my first thought was Zeiss Conquest, but it looks like the versions in that magnification range run in the $700-$800 range.

SWFA has Both Nikon Monarchs, and Vortex Vipers in the $400 - $500 range with the kind of magnification you're looking for. I have a Viper 2-7, and it is a really solid, clear scope for the money.

Kachok
June 29, 2012, 01:28 AM
I cannot recomend a high dollar scope since I don't own any, but the Nikon Prostaff I have on my 270 WSM (and my 6.5x55) is great and only cost me $150. The BDC rectical is awsome too. If you wanted to spend the extra money I am sure their Buckmaster and Monarch are even more fantastic.

EchoM70
June 29, 2012, 02:34 AM
Nikon Monarch 3-12x42SF. I've got one on my Tikka T3 in 300WSM and it's a perfect match. You've got parallax adjustments, good glass, good eye relief and a good magnification range for around $430. Doesn't get much better than that IMO.

meanmrmustard
June 29, 2012, 06:50 AM
I'm surprised no ones said Redfield.

ole farmerbuck
June 29, 2012, 07:36 AM
I found a place to get the Nikon Monarch 5x20x44 for $439 delivered. Good price and excellent scopes. I have 7 of them now.

joed
June 29, 2012, 07:44 AM
No one recommended Leupold? I've used them pretty much exclusively for 30+ years. Depending on the use of the gun I am a big fan of fixed power but for all around use I prefer variable.

jmr40
June 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
You can spend more, but a new Leupold VX-2 with long range dots is about as good as it gets for around $330.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-2-Riflescope-P51800.aspx

You can spend $600 and get a scope maybe 2% better.

Sock Puppet
June 29, 2012, 10:33 AM
Thank you all for the input! While they are fine scopes, I won't be using a Prostaff or Redfield on this gun.

I looked at the Monarch 3-12X42 yesterday, and it seemed nice but was overshadowed by the Vortex Viper I compared it to. I'm certainly not going to write it off, as I really like my Monarch 4X, but it did not seem to match the Viper.

If anyone has base and ring input I'd appreciate that as well.

Keep it coming!

jmr40
June 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
Look no farther than Talley Lightweight rings and bases. For God's sake do not use anything with windage adjustable mounts.

The scopes you are considering are decent, but are big, heavy scopes that will not balance or look right on a trim rifle like you are considering. 12X is way more than you need. Trust me, buy the 3-9X40 Leupold VX-2. You'll have a much lighter scope, better glass on the newest versions, much longer eye relief, a tougher more rugged scope that will hold up better to magnum recoil, and save a lot of money.

If you just want to spend more money then spend around $500 for the 3.5-10X40 VX-3. It is a slightly better scope, but for $200 more very few can tell the difference.

CMC
June 29, 2012, 02:57 PM
I got the Leupold VX3L 3.5x10x 50 mounted on low rings.
You can also get it with the CDS
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3l-riflescopes/vx-3l-3-5-10x50mm-cds/
I would reccomend leupold weaver bases and rings.

EchoM70
June 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
For rings, I've only used Luepold STD rings and bases I've never had any problems out of them and for around $45 for both the rings and bases they're pretty affordable.

I have a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 and it is a great scope, SWFA has one 4-12x40SF for $399 which is a good price. The only thing I wouldn't like is the eye relief. The Monarch has a longer/better eye relief that is why the Monarch is on my 300WSM and the Viper is on my .270

I would also look at a Sightron SII Big Sky. They have some incredible glass and aren't too much more expensive than the Monarch/Viper. I'm putting one on my 338 Win Mag and for the price I don't believe I could have made a better choice.

I've tried Luepold scopes in the past and IMO unless your stepping up to the VX-3 you're just paying for the Luepold name and warranty. I've had a VX-I and just wasn't impressed and the VX-II wasn't much better. The VX-3 on the other hand was a wonderful scope, still wish I had it actually.

adelbridge
June 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
I am a big Vortex fan. I have used Luepolds, Nikons but for the money I think vortex has a slight edge. I just put a Weaver Buck Commander 4-16 X 42 on my A-bolt 7mm rem mag and I am blown away by quality for $250 scope. It is made in Philipines (probably same OEM Nikon factory) scope is very clear, side parallax and very bright. I am going to test it on a hog hunt tomorrow night.

Fremmer
June 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
Leupold vx 3!

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 29, 2012, 09:08 PM
I am a huge fan of Vortex, Leupold, Nikon, and Bushnell Tactical Elite. If you can spend a little more then Zeiss. If you expand your budget more then Swarovski, US Opics and Schmidt & Bender. But IMHO the "Holy Grail" for me of scope is a Premier. I have used a couple now, and really think they are the best I have had the pleasure of using. I know others will disagree, but like I said this is my opinion from my experience with them. Most will agree though, buy the best scope you can afford. This is one area where usually you het what you pay for.

Smokey Joe
June 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
Sock Puppet--I went for a .300 Whizzum, too--Mine is a Savage BVSS-12, IIRC. 'Scoped it with a Bushnell Elite 3200, and so far it has worked just fine. I put an Elite 4200 on another rifle, and (a) can't tell the difference in performance between the 2 'scopes, and (b) Bushnell doesn't seem to make the E-4200 any more, but the e-3200 is available. You could go up to the Elite Tactical, or the Elite 6500, but they're out of your stated budget range.

Anyhow, good luck in your search, PLEASE keep us posted, and be sure to post a pic of your new rifle when you get it. We all love pics.

June 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
For $570 I think the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm with the RZ600 reticle would be a good choice. 9x is more than enough top end for deer-sized game and the Zeiss is a relatively light scope. I have two of them, one on my Kimber 8400 Montana (.300 WSM) and the other on my Winchester M70 EWSS (.300 WM). The eye relief is LONG at 4" but I mounted both of mine using EGW Picatinny bases and Seekins rings and was able to get them far enough forward with the rings optimally spaced. Zeiss also has a 3.5-10x44mm with the RZ600 or RZ800 reticle but the 3-9x40mm is a much better deal. Here's the Zeiss Conquest on my .300 WSM.

http://thr.mcmxi.org/rifles/kimber/montana/photos/kimber_conquest_01.jpg

http://thr.mcmxi.org/rifles/kimber/montana/photos/kimber_conquest_02.jpg

Sock Puppet
June 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks again for all of the advice!

The rifle has been paid for and may show up next week. If it's the week after I'll be on the road and have to wait to pick it up:(

As I mentioned, I'll start saving and selling unused stuff to pay for new optics. It may be a month or 3 before I can buy the scope I want. For now I'll install my unused Intensity Optics 2.8-10X44, which is a surprisingly decent scope. That will help me determine whether that power range is sufficient. Plus, I can't have a new rifle sitting around without shooting it for months!

I'm still really liking the Vortex I mentioned earlier, and I don't find ~180z. overly heavy. I've looked at the Big Sky in the past, but had forgotten it. I'll take a look when I have time.

malt
June 30, 2012, 08:17 PM
Hi, you may take a look at meopta meostar scopes, little over your budget but pretty descent scope . If you contact Alex you may get a better price on the scope: http://www.eurooptic.com/meopta-meostar-r1-4-12x40-reticle-4-matte-black-rifle-scope.aspx

Flatbush Harry
July 1, 2012, 02:46 PM
I would certainly recommend the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with Rapid Z600 reticle (I have them on one of my .308s and one of my .30-06s). I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 with Rapid Z800 on my .25-06...also a great scope. At the moment, I have a Conquest 3-9x40 with Z-plex on my SPS-Varmint in .308. I'll be putting that scope on my next hunting rifle (either .280 or 7mm Mag) and mounting a Leupy Mk IV on the SPS-V.

A Leupy VX3 3.5-10x40, a Zeiss Conquest in 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x44 will be great add-ons and stay pretty much within budget.

FH

Sock Puppet
July 1, 2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks again for all of the suggestions, everyone!

I had an issue with a scope on one of my rimfires, so the Intensity Optics scope I planned on mounting on the A Bolt is going to have to go on a that rifle.

I was able to get a great deal on a 4-12X42 Burris Fullfield II with TAC-2 knobs for my current budget. I have a first edition Pentax Pioneer which is virtually identical to the Burris(minus the knobs) on a 308 and it's been a great scope. I'm confident it will be a great fit on the Browning. I would still like to upgrade down the road, and I know I'll always have a place for the Burris.

I'll try to post pics when I get everything in and put together.:)

HKGuns
July 2, 2012, 11:09 AM
Just so I understand correctly, you asked for advice and actually bought probably the one brand not even so much as mentioned in the thread?

It is your money and I certainly hope you like the Burris, it was kind of a pointless thread however.

Sock Puppet
July 2, 2012, 11:44 PM
HK, I see where you're coming from, but asking for advice does not require one to take it. There were some great recommendations in this thread and I appreciate all of them. In the future, I may be able to buy one of the more expensive suggestions.

I planned on buying a $600 scope in a few months. I did not have $600 today.

I had planned on using an extra scope I already owned, but had to change that plan do to an unforseen circumstance.

I had $300 for a scope and wanted something so I could shoot the new rifle.

I already own a near twin to the new scope I bought, so I didn't need it to be suggested---I knew I would like it.

I made an informed decision based on my personal experience. When I upgrade the scope on the 300WSM down the road, I have several places to put the Burris to good use.

Sorry you see this thread as pointless; I see the opposite.

Be well.

Flynt
July 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
There was a lot of good advice on this thread. Also, be advised that you can probably afford high end glas if you check eBay, gunbroker, local gun trading sites, gun shows, etc., for good used scopes. I got my Swaro bincoculars and scope on eBay. Both were like new, but about 30-40% less than new retail. I also have a couple of refurbished Nikons that have served me well.

Sock Puppet
July 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
Guess I forgot to update the thread. The Burris didn't work out, so I bought a Vortex Viper 4-12X40 mounted in Talley (Browning) 1-piece mount/rings.

Ridgerunner665
July 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
I put my Vortex Viper HS (30mm tube) in TPS super low rings on Warne 2 piece bases (steel)...The Vipers come in both 1" and 30mm...not sure which you have.

Mine is the 4-16x44mm Viper HS...if yours is a 50mm objective with a 30mm tube, the super low rings won't work.

Edit: Looks like I should have read page 2 before I posted, LOL.

EchoM70
July 12, 2012, 02:36 AM
Also, be advised that you can probably afford high end glass if you check eBay, gunbroker, local gun trading sites, gun shows, etc., for good used scopes.

+1

With most higher end scopes comes a great transferrable warranty, which makes buying used a good choice and worry free.

For example, I just bought a Used Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50 for $500 on a local trader website. The scope retails for almost $800 and this guy has never mounted it on a rifle. Deals are out there you just got to be looking.

B!ngo
July 12, 2012, 06:24 PM
I've not looked through too many scopes, but I have two Nikon's and feel like they provide the best glass/dollar in the mid-range. Makes sense given their research history and volume. And they give up some features to do it too (e.g. lighted reticules, etc.). I have a Leica and it IS better but it ought to be.
The reason I write is to make sure you know about http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx. It's SWFA's 'used and demo' site and I've purchased two scopes (including the Leica) from them. Moderate savings. In better shape than advertised but seems like a safe way to save 20+%.
I am in no way connected to SWFA or any scope/firearms biz.
B

ttheel
November 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
I just bought a Browning X bolt Stainless Stalker in 300 wsm myself. I topped it with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm. I could not be happier.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Me Scope My 300WSM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!