Best place to get a Mosin Nagant online

PDA

travisd
June 29, 2012, 09:26 PM
Was in Cabelas today and was looking at a couple 91/30s. Never been a fan but they weren't really that bad in person. Kind of long but other than that the bolt wasn't that bad and it didn't feel too heavy. Thinking about picking one up sometime maybe in a month or so. Planning on getting one online and getting it shipped to the pawn shop a couple blocks from my house. Might put a box of ammo through it now and then for fun and it should be good foe deer season this fall at under 100 yards. Where's a good place to get one online?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best place to get a Mosin Nagant online" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
June 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
AIM Surplus, J&G Sales, just google Mosin-Nagant and you should find a bunch of dealers. Or maybe not, now that Google stopped supporting firearms in Shopping. Maybe Yahoo! or Bing?

towboat_er
June 29, 2012, 09:33 PM
$109.99 delivered.
Not sure if best buy. But pretty darn good.
http://centerfiresystems.com/

TurtlePhish
June 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
Not a bad price for laminated, and free shipping. I'd have no problems buying that.

Wicked
June 29, 2012, 09:47 PM
Gunspec.com says they are the answer to googles recent change to searching for guns.

meanmrmustard
June 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
$109.99 delivered.
Not sure if best buy. But pretty darn good.
http://centerfiresystems.com/
That's a good price. My bank account hates you now!

fallout mike
June 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
J&g is $89 for 1 & $84 if you buy 2.

meanmrmustard
June 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
J&g is $89 for 1 & $84 if you buy 2.
What condition, though?

fallout mike
June 29, 2012, 10:38 PM
All of these from the online dealers were refurbished before storage before being imported and sold. It should be in pretty good condition.

meanmrmustard
June 29, 2012, 10:39 PM
All of these from the online dealers were refurbished before storage before being imported and sold. It should be in pretty good condition.
Thanks, fallout. I'm in the market for these types of rifles, so, much appreciated for the response. I'll look them up.

fallout mike
June 29, 2012, 10:39 PM
Aim surplus is also $89.

MoMatt
June 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
What condition, though?

Packed in cosmoline.

at J&G you can pay extra for a "hand picked" rifle, or even for a "hand picked for the bore" rifle.

For the OP, keep your eyes out; I'd think you could find a run-of-the-mill 91/30 for not much more than $100. I paid $90 for mine at a local Big 5 and couldn't be happier. All matching S/N's, nice stock. It's counter-bored but still shoots as well as I can make it shoot.

janedoedad
June 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
Don't forget the dreaded transfer fee that may be charged by your FFL. :scrutiny: If you have a C&R, nevermind.

A local or gun show purchase may save you a few bucks. Not to mention the whole 'hands on' thing. . . :D

fallout mike
June 29, 2012, 10:46 PM
My first one that I bought I got from a lgs and paid a bit more than I could have ordered one with my c&r. They had got them in from some distributer . They had a couple hundred. You had to look really close to tell the difference in nearly all of them. I looked through nearly all of them bc I wanted a certain one. If ordering online I would not pay extra for a handpicked one. All they di is take 5 of them and choose the best. They are all too close in quality to pay the $10 or $20 premium for doing so..

fallout mike
June 29, 2012, 10:48 PM
Some guns the handpicked may matter but the mosins I do not believe so.

meanmrmustard
June 29, 2012, 10:50 PM
Some guns the handpicked may matter but the mosins I do not believe so.
Good info. I've shot them, but never owned one, so thanks for the addition.

TurtlePhish
June 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
Handpicked definitely makes a difference with Mosins. Metal finish quality, wood, bore, numbers... You name it.

fallout mike
June 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
From my experience it does not. I've literally dug through and handled hundreds of them when buying the ones I've bought. But, it may make a difference what distributer they come from?? My experiences have not been like that though.

fatcat4620
June 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
What I have seen is they are luck of the draw. No mater where you order you can get unissued to pre war been there done that.

fallout mike
June 29, 2012, 11:06 PM
Just keep in mind that "handpicked" is not the best one. It is usually the best out of 5 guns.

MoMatt
June 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
Was in Cabelas today and was looking at a couple 91/30s. Never been a fan but they weren't really that bad in person. Kind of long but other than that the bolt wasn't that bad and it didn't feel too heavy. Thinking about picking one up sometime maybe in a month or so. Planning on getting one online and getting it shipped to the pawn shop a couple blocks from my house. Might put a box of ammo through it now and then for fun and it should be good foe deer season this fall at under 100 yards. Where's a good place to get one online?
Don't like the length of the 91/30?

Try the carbine!
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=635606

travisd
June 29, 2012, 11:22 PM
The sites I've looked at you get the rifle plus bayonet and accessories together. From what I know Cabelas had just the rifle for $120. Even with the transfer fee I figured I could do better.
That carbine does look nice but it's a bit out of my budget.

MoMatt
June 29, 2012, 11:25 PM
Even if you couldn't beat $120 with a transfer, it'd be worth it to get the bayo and accessories. And the $100 price point is definitely what sold me on the 91/30. Someday I'll have one of those carbines but $100 for a piece of history is hard to pass up.

Edit
Although, remember too the time and resources to clean the cosmoline off of the thing. I spent another $20 on mineral spirits and a large plastic tub... That's an additional 20% on top of the rifle cost! :eek:

meanmrmustard
June 29, 2012, 11:35 PM
Even if you couldn't beat $120 with a transfer, it'd be worth it to get the bayo and accessories. And the $100 price point is definitely what sold me on the 91/30. Someday I'll have one of those carbines but $100 for a piece of history is hard to pass up.

Edit
Although, remember too the time and resources to clean the cosmoline off of the thing. I spent another $20 on mineral spirits and a large plastic tub... That's an additional 20% on top of the rifle cost! :eek:
Or, it's Safari Land Powder blast, and sit outside on a perty summer day with an ugly rifle.

fallout mike
June 29, 2012, 11:35 PM
Cheaper than dirt sells the bayonets for them for $60ish. So a few extra bucks to get that is a good deal. Plus you get the sling, 2 ammo pouches, a couple of tools, oil can. Ill never use the ammo pouches but they are a piece of history.

meanmrmustard
June 29, 2012, 11:40 PM
Cheaper than dirt sells the bayonets for them for $60ish. So a few extra bucks to get that is a good deal. Plus you get the sling, 2 ammo pouches, a couple of tools, oil can. Ill never use the ammo pouches but they are a piece of history.
Honestly, other than to collect, can't see the benefits of a bayo.
On an SKS, it's almost sacreligios for it to be sans bayo, IMO.

fallout mike
June 30, 2012, 12:12 AM
I agree, I like history so I like them. I don't go to the range sporting the bayos sticking out though. Would that be a c&r ninja?

meanmrmustard
June 30, 2012, 12:32 AM
I agree, I like history so I like them. I don't go to the range sporting the bayos sticking out though. Would that be a c&r ninja?
Yes, and rightly so. An sks with a bayo is like Flavor Flave with a clock for a necklace. You just come to expect it. It the way things oughta be.

Roadking Rider
June 30, 2012, 07:56 AM
I think I'd call centerfire systems to find out what refinished means. Does it mean the wood has been refinished and we're reading it as refurbished. Mine is refurbished and the barrel is counter bored and recrownd as well as all numbers match. If it is a refub then that seeems like a very fair price.

velocette
June 30, 2012, 05:03 PM
travisd;
If ya lived in south Florida, I'd offer you my 91/30 with the trigger spring rework, rear sight rework (to make it shoot to point of aim @ 100 yds) reloading die set, brass cased ammo and all extras, like bayonet, ammo pouches etc. Moving on to other projects.
Come January, you can come visit the gunshine state.

Roger :-)

ThePenguinKnight
June 30, 2012, 05:34 PM
For the record, the Mosins from cabelas come with the standard lot of accesories. Can't recall if the sling was included, but I know my brother's had the bayonet, pouch, oil bottle, couple tools, and cleaning rod. Shoots decent, though I think I can coax some more from it if I tried. For $120, its not a bad price these days.

Our local cabelas had a ton of them thrown up on the rack while the sale was on, which made it far easier to pick through them. It was fascinating getting to check out the fit and finish difference between the pre war Tulas and the mid war Ishevsks. They had the bolts zip tied shut, so no checking the bore without permission, but all the ones I looked at were actually in very good shape.

I wish I could find one with a decent barrel and a broken up stock. My buddy has an extra stock, I'm a real cheap skate, and I only have 50 bucks for the Mosin fund :-P

travisd
June 30, 2012, 08:15 PM
If they have accessories with them maybe I'll stop in sometime soon and seem if I can find a nice one. Had trigger locks so couldn't check the bores too easy. Some of them were pretty rough looking but might have a good one.

velocette if I was in Florida i'd sure take it. And what did ya do to get it to shoot POA?? I've heard of a taller front sight I believe but other than that I have no idea what to to. Would be nice to know for when I get one.

velocette
June 30, 2012, 09:46 PM
Travisd;
To make them shoot to POA at 100 yds, first shoot them to see where they print. Usually about 4 ~ 10" high @ 100 yds. Mine was about 5".
I took the base of the rear sight where the actual sight rests when all the way down (the slide / rear sight all the way back toward the action) and filed the base to lower the rear sight in its lowest position. Not hard to do nor very critical dimensionally. When I had lowered the sight enough, I applied cold blue to make it look good. Corked the barrel and shimmed the trigger spring too. makes the rifle a lot nicer to shoot. Still not a target rifle but good for hunting or fighting accuracy out to 200 + yds.

Roger

travisd
July 3, 2012, 07:32 PM
Well I just went ahead and picked one up form Cabelas today. None of the 9 or so they had were very impressive looking but mine had decent wood and metal and the only one with matching numbers. The bolt was about the nicest out of all of them and it did indeed come with all the accessories. Barrel looked pretty good was hard to see had a lot of cosmoline in it though.
By the time I got home it was pretty sticky with all the cosmoline melting off all over the place lol. Just going to break it down and stand it out in the sun tomorrow and wipe it down with a towel now and then unless there's an easier way to get it all off. Been near 100 all week. Cant wait to get it cleaned then be able to shoot it.

fallout mike
July 3, 2012, 07:36 PM
Odorless mineral spirits work great. Just try to not get it on the wood. Im going to clean the cosmoline off another one in about 5 minutes here as soon as I get off the can. Oops, maybe too much info.

travisd
July 3, 2012, 07:57 PM
Basically any degreaser, brake cleaner, mineral spirits etc on the metal then some CLP on it all. Then some kind of heat on the stock to sweat it all out? Shouldn't be too hard sounds kind of fun lol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best place to get a Mosin Nagant online" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!