anyone shoot a .224 weatherby mag?

PDA

porktornado
June 29, 2012, 11:50 PM
hey guys,
just looking to see how many people have one of these and shoot it. i have one back home and shoot it from time to time, but ammo is a little hard to find for it. needless to say i save all the brass and have the dies sitting at home but have yet to reload for it. of those of you that have one, what kind of groups are you getting?

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone shoot a .224 weatherby mag?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gordon
June 30, 2012, 11:17 AM
My California Blacktail deer rifle of the last 20 years is a .224 German made Weatherby. It is the ray of death on the 150 pound max critters in central Coastal California out to 400 + yards. Currently in this lead free zone I shoot Barnes 55 grain TSX copper bullets with W748 powder with about 3600 FPS velocity and 3/4 MOA accuracy . It shoots 1.5" 200 yard groups with it once a year in June before the hunting season, you don't need more than 40 rounds a year-max! :D
The problem with the gun is that with the 1-14 twist only stabilizes 60 grain Nosler partitions MAX and those seemed only barely with max loads but work extremely well. Better to stick to the 55 grain bullets it was designed for . The 55 grain Hornady used in the factory load took down a couple Blacktails a year for me very well but do not fully penetrate like I like.

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone shoot a .224 weatherby mag?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!