Best bang for the buck .22LR

PDA

intercooler
June 30, 2012, 04:05 PM
I'm sure it is probably a Ruger but which one? I see they have a take-down .22 now!

Looking for features:

- Reliable
- Accurate
- Can mount a scope
- Possibly a red-dot
- High capacity mags
- Different furniture
- Priced well

If you enjoyed reading about "Best bang for the buck .22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bubbacrabb
June 30, 2012, 04:17 PM
I own a lot of 22s. I like them all. I think as far as bone stock goes, the Marlin model 60 is a superior gun. Put the stock barrels up next to each other. You'll see how much thicker the Marlin is. I also shoot better groups with the Marlin. My 10/22 is not a bad gun, I enjoy it and its not like it don't shoot good groups, its just compared to the Marlin I give the marlin the crown. If you just want to go out and plink you may lean more.towards the ruger if you just busting tin cans. The ruger 25 round mags are pretty flawless. The aftermarket stuff for the ruger are endless if you want to put a bunch of money into a 22. I just usually leave my stuff alone and put bullets thru them. I think you'll be happy with any 22 out there. I own a Henry I like shooting a lot. My grandpa left me a beat and battered glenfield model 65 which is just a 60 with a brass tube. It's my favorite firearm I own. Lots of squirrels have falling from that 50 year old 22.

meanmrmustard
June 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
If you can find one, the Sig 522 is my suggestion. They meet your criteria, and you can luck into one around $400-450ish or less. Also, you can get Black dog 50 round drums, and it comes with 25 rounders to start!!!

cat_IT_guy
June 30, 2012, 04:45 PM
Id vote Marlin 60 although you specified hicap mags. A current 60 is either 15 or 18 rounds I think - if thats enough, get the marlin for what you want to do.

As already mentioned, if you want to customize the heck out of it, the 10/22 is a better bet.

DM~
June 30, 2012, 07:22 PM
Id vote Marlin 60 although you specified hicap mags. A current 60 is either 15 or 18 rounds I think - if thats enough, get the marlin for what you want to do.

As already mentioned, if you want to customize the heck out of it, the 10/22 is a better bet.

I agree, and if you want a bolt gun, get a Savage as it's the most gun for the least money spent in a bolt gun.

DM

tcrocker
June 30, 2012, 07:29 PM
CZ 452 bolt rifle and Ruger Mark1,2, or 3 in a handgun. I have the Ruger Match and it's a great shooter.
http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/P1000033.jpg

TurtlePhish
June 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
Marlin 795s are great, very low price (especially with the rebate that runs every once in a while), accurate, and fun. No reliable hi-cap mags, though, unless you wanna take a chance with those plastic Shooter's Ridge things.

chrome_austex
June 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
Since you didn't specify an autoloader, that opens up a lot of quality bolt guns. Look at the CZ and Savage rifles.

Bushpilot
June 30, 2012, 10:57 PM
In a semi-auto my pick is a 10/22 with Marlin's a model 60 as runner up only because you want high capacity mags. CZ is first choice in a bolt gun because they can't be beat for quality and accuracy for the price.

Robtattoo
June 30, 2012, 11:09 PM
I've had a good few .22s over the years & the only one I've never had an ounce of inclination to part with is my Henry H001. I honestly have no clue how many tens of thousands of rounds I've put through it, but I only remember having one hiccup. It's 'minute of skwerl' out to 50yds, loads 15 rounds of LR, or 21 of .22 short. You can throw a scope straight onto the rails (although I generally don't) & it's unbelieveably handy around the farm/in the truck.

intercooler
July 1, 2012, 01:25 AM
Oh yea semi-auto.

meanmrmustard
July 1, 2012, 01:35 AM
Oh yea semi-auto.
Did someone say sig 522...

coalman
July 1, 2012, 02:40 AM
Marlin.

gotigers
July 1, 2012, 08:14 AM
I have a Marlin Mod 60 from ~1981 and a S&W M&P15-22. The Mod 60 is a great squirrel gun and is very accurate. The 15-22 is one of my favorite guns. It is surprisingly accurate and is a blast to shoot. The hi-cap mags makes the 15-22 my choice of the 2. The mod 60s are much cheaper.

I've owned a Marling 795, but it had a canted dovetail. Marlin replaced it, but i sold the replacement 795 because of the bad taste left by Marlin. The 795 functioned great and was accurate with factory sights. The canted dovetail made scopes not an option.

the count
July 1, 2012, 08:47 AM
A Ruger 10/22 is kinda the standard, so one of those belongs in every 22LR rifle collection.

Odd Job
July 1, 2012, 08:57 AM
SIG 522. I have a black 522 classic with a Mueller reflex dot on it. It is a standard factory spec rifle (but I use Black Dog mags also, and occasionally put a suppressor on it)

Here is the round count vs failure so far:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/SIG522-1.jpg

I think you'll find that acceptable :)

Accuracy: I haven't tested it, this rifle only has an unmagnified reflex dot on it and I do most shooting with this rifle standing, at head-sized targets 25 and 50 yards away. For that purpose it is just as accurate as I need it.

Two gripes:

1) Butt stock is a bit short for me, even at full extension and with the fattest pad as supplied by SIG.
2) There is no last round hold open. Well, I don't call holding the bolt back on the magazine a last round hold open. As soon as you drop the mag, the bolt will go forward. You have to pull the bolt back and manually engage the bolt catch.

meanmrmustard
July 1, 2012, 09:00 AM
SIG 522. I have a black 522 classic with a Mueller reflex dot on it. It is a standard factory spec rifle (but I use Black Dog mags also, and occasionally put a suppressor on it)

Here is the round count vs failure so far:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/SIG522-1.jpg

I think you'll find that acceptable :)

Accuracy: I haven't tested it, this rifle only has an unmagnified reflex dot on it and I do most shooting with this rifle standing, at head-sized targets 25 and 50 yards away. For that purpose it is just as accurate as I need it.

Two gripes:

1) Butt stock is a bit short for me, even at full extension and with the fattest pad as supplied by SIG.
2) There is no last round hold open. Well, I don't call holding the bolt back on the magazine a last round hold open. As soon as you drop the mag, the bolt will go forward. You have to pull the bolt back and manually engage the bolt catch.
But, it is NICE to have a bolt catch. You gotta admit, palm smacking that little lever to chamber a round out of a new mag is pretty cool!

wnycollector
July 1, 2012, 10:24 AM
Another vote for the Marlin 795. I bought one for my 12yo son. We put a Mueller APV scope on it and it's a heck of a shooter for $99 (after rebate). He has put ~4K trouble free rounds through it and this little rifle just keeps on going.

Redlegvzv
July 1, 2012, 10:55 AM
I am partial to the good old Ruger 10/22. I am particularly fond of the Take-Down model:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/DSC_0580.jpg

greyling22
July 1, 2012, 04:49 PM
ruger. it's the only one I know of that fits all your criteria. don't get caught up in all the "accuracy" thing. I've yet to see one that wouldn't outshoot the ammo in it. especially with the barrel band off.

The trigger pulls on the new ones are not very good, but a $35 volquartsen hammer mostly fixes that, and a belt sander and your stock hammer will get even better (ok, it's a little more involved than that, but it's not hard to achieve a mostly creepless, 2lb, no takeup or overtravel trigger in an afternoon that will pass every bump test you can imagine)

Furncliff
July 1, 2012, 04:54 PM
Marlin 60... eleven million sold. Reliable accurate, cheap. Those three rarely go together. My second M60 was near new in the box...$100.00.

Deltaboy
July 1, 2012, 04:59 PM
Marlin 60 or any Savage or Mossburg Semi auto.

My old Marlin holds 18 Long Rifle rounds in it's tube.
I just got a bad Ruger 10/22 the inside of the barrel looked great no crown damage and I got it for 120 at a gun show. But it would not hit the side of a barn.

foghornl
July 1, 2012, 05:08 PM
Not sure if it is made now, but I have an OLD Marlin 99...pre-serial-number old that still shoots well with most ammo. I think it holds 18 .22LR's in the mag tube.

Also have a 40th Year 10/22. haven't tried all the different ammo in it yet..only one so far that is a no-go is the plain lead Rem "Thunderbolt"

triplebike
July 1, 2012, 06:09 PM
Marlin 981T bold action , 17 rds. Incredibly accurate & reliable. I believe I paid $125 NIB after a Marlin rebate.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/BoltAction22/981T.asp

Elkins45
July 1, 2012, 06:19 PM
10/22 or Marlin 60 pretty well own this market. Both have pluses and minuses.

Unless you're buying them sight unseen my vote would go to the individual specimen with the best trigger. Chances are that either gun is capable of better mechanical accuracy than the average shooter can hold, so the practical accuracy is determined by how hard the trigger is.

303tom
July 1, 2012, 07:57 PM
Savage...............

Mike J
July 1, 2012, 08:23 PM
I don't have any experience with the 10/22. I do know I like my Marlin model 60 & my older Glenfield model 75c (basically a carbine length model 60).

Odd Job
July 3, 2012, 06:56 PM
Just got back from the range. Here are my targets, shot at one round every two seconds, standing at 25 yards indoors. The black is 3.5" in diameter. The Mueller is a very basic reflex red dot sight, no magnification. The SIG522 does just what I need it to.
I recently started shooting left handed because I am left eye dominant. With some practice I will sort those left hand groups out...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/TargetSIG52225yd2012-07-03001.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/TargetSIG52225yd2012-07-03002.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/TargetSIG52225yd2012-07-03003.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/TargetSIG52225yd2012-07-03004.jpg

MCgunner
July 3, 2012, 11:02 PM
The 10/22 is the standard now days for your criteria. It can be whatever you want it to be....

http://i42.tinypic.com/vooe2p.jpg

I want a Volquartsen sear, but it ahoots 1.5" groups at 50 yards as is with the Hogue stock and no barrel band.

My Remington 597 magnum is a gem, too, shooting 1.5" at a full 100 yards. I like the fit, made for grown ups. I'm not sure if the Remington fits all your criteria, though, not sure about high cap mags and such. I saw a tacticooled 597 the other day at a pawn shop, had the standard mag in it. It had a collapsible stock and they wanted an igorant price on it, over 300 bucks. The gun sells for under 200 new. :rolleyes: I added the Volquartsen hammer to mine and, WOW, the trigger is NICE now. :D I have an old Remington bolt gun in .22 LR that shoots as accurate as the 597 Magnum. It'll shoot one hole groups at 25 yards with RWS Target. Remington makes accurate rifles.

gunsandreligion
July 4, 2012, 05:13 PM
If semi auto it must be id definatly recomend the 10/22. Even if its not perfect from the box it has more potential with the ability to customize. If you want the most fun along with bang for your buck a lever action cant be beaten IMO.

Kachok
July 4, 2012, 05:41 PM
Accuracy/Reliability Savage MkII
High capasity/semi auto Ruger 10/22
Now if we could just somehow combine the two :)
The Savage MkII is FANTASTIC except the crappy trigger, the 10/22 is highly versatile but I have heard many mixed reviews on accuracy.

JTW Jr.
July 4, 2012, 05:53 PM
I have a couple 10/22 , Marlin 700 ( the old Big 5 Special), a couple Savage MKII's.

Hands down I would take either of the Savages for accuracy , best bang for the buck ? I would still take either of my Savages over any of the others I have.

Savage FV under $200 , bargain ! Head to head out of the box, either of my Savage shoot way better than either 10/22 I have.

mac66
July 4, 2012, 07:43 PM
Ruger 10/22 is a good out of the box rifle that is possibly the most versatile rifle in the world. There is nothing you can't do with it or buy for it to make it into whatever you want.

Having said the above, all 4 of mine pretty are much stock and they all shoot well. I teach rifle marksmanship and they are used as loaners. They work very well with good sights/or scope and a sling.

I do own a couple Marlin 60S, a couple Marlin 795 and a couple dozen Remington 22s. However my recommendation is always a 10/22.

goon
July 4, 2012, 07:50 PM
The Marlin is cheaper and known to be more accurate, but I've found a 10/22 to be more reliable on the whole and to require less maintenance.
If I could have only one it would be a close competition, but I think the CZ-452 trainer would get that place. I'd get one now while you can - I hear they're phasing them out and I get so much use out of those open sights for long range shooting.

Maverick223
July 4, 2012, 11:09 PM
Either the Marlin 795 (if you plan to leave it stock) or a Ruger 10/22 (if you want to accessorize/swap parts). Personally I like the Marlin M-60 better than the 795, but it doesn't fulfill your requirement for a magazine-fed rifle...if you can live with that it's a good choice.

:)

viking499
July 4, 2012, 11:12 PM
I would take the Ruger before the Marlin.

Jalexander
July 5, 2012, 09:19 PM
I like the Marlin Model 60 much better than the 10/22, but the Ruger is a good gun.

James

dober83
July 5, 2012, 11:39 PM
For your criteria there is only on choice, the 10/22. The marlin or savage are better guns but the aftermarket options are slim to none. I have a marlin 795 with a universal bipod and I even sprang for the plastic shooters ridge hi-cap mag(25rd, I think it survived 100rds) and any scope is simple to mount but that is pretty much where it ends.

gman82001
July 5, 2012, 11:48 PM
I've got just under 4000 rds on my mp15-22 all with federal bulk.... 1 failure to fire tried in 2 mp's and a Ruger sr22 pistol never fired I'm any of them. I've got the moe version in dark earth with a primary arms red dot. I've also got a 10-22 from 1994 it has a 90's trigger for sure but its reliable as well but I'd take the mp any day of the week over it. Just something to look at

razorback2003
July 6, 2012, 05:53 PM
I shot match eley ammo today out of a Marlin 60. The trigger is awful on the gun but it will group close to one half to three quarters of an inch at 50 yards with a cheap Bushnell scope.

The Winchester wildcat ammo is awful and groups at two inches and is very inconsistent at that distance.

I never could get a Ruger 10/22 to group as well as the Marlin with good ammo.

Honestly if you want good groups for not a lot of bucks get a good Savage bolt action with the accutrigger. I know it is not hi capacity or anything but the accuracy is awesome out of them. Accuracy is what matters. A lot of rounds that don't hit your target are nothing but misses and noise.

ColdDayInHell
July 6, 2012, 06:02 PM
10/22 with a picatinny rail for your mounting needs. You can always buy a number of stocks to mod your 10/22. The Ruger 10/22, a $215 rifle you can easily spend $500 on.

I love my 10/22 and have a 4x32 scope on it. Every person I bring shooting with me ends up falling in love with it. So accurate! I recently did some work on the trigger and hammer and got it down to about 2-3 lbs trigger pull. This rifle is flawless. Every gun owner should get one. If you have any questions on how to lighten the trigger with minimal materials let me know. The auto bolt release was easy as well.

ShadowsEye
July 6, 2012, 06:17 PM
Accuracy/Reliability Savage MkII
High capasity/semi auto Ruger 10/22
Now if we could just somehow combine the two :)
The Savage MkII is FANTASTIC except the crappy trigger, the 10/22 is highly versatile but I have heard many mixed reviews on accuracy.
I came here to say exactly this, except the Accu-trigger is AWESOME! 1.5lb, clean breaking trigger out of the box. And this is in a $150 rifle.

Maverick223
July 6, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'll second the AccuTrigger on the Mk.II (as well as the 93-series & Centerfires), it is a very good trigger and is easily adjustable. The Mk.II in general is an excellent platform for the money if you can live with a very accurate bolt action instead of a SA.

MCgunner
July 6, 2012, 08:25 PM
I don't think anyone is reading the OP. He wants a tacticooled semi auto, not a bolt gun with a tube magazine. :rolleyes: There really are only two choices, one of the AR look alikes out there or the Ruger 10/22 with accessories. Take your choice. I know nothing of all the AR crap out there, I don't do the AR thing. I do know the 10/22 is a superior quality .22 rimfire auto with an aftermarket that cannot be matched by any other rimfire. Whatever you want it to be, the Ruger can be that.

Odd Job
July 6, 2012, 08:41 PM
Or he can get a SIG522 and call it solved :)

MCgunner
July 6, 2012, 08:43 PM
Well, I don't look at sigs. I have a Ruger pocket book. :D I saw something on a sig auto .22 in an American Rifleman ad, I think. One should do a cost benefit analysis on it. You could wind up spending more dressing the Ruger than buying the Sig, if you like the Sig. :D

Maverick223
July 6, 2012, 08:56 PM
I don't think anyone is reading the OP. He wants a tacticooled semi auto, not a bolt gun with a tube magazine. :rolleyes:The Mk. II is magazine fed. If you note I read and responded to the OPs request earlier in the thread (where I suggested a 10/22, 795, or possibly a M-60). My most recent response was to refute the claim of poor quality triggers in the Savage Mk. IIs. Furthermore, his OP states that accuracy was second on the list of requirements (after reliability), so it is a potential candidate (certainly worth mention).

Kachok
July 7, 2012, 01:03 AM
I came here to say exactly this, except the Accu-trigger is AWESOME! 1.5lb, clean breaking trigger out of the box. And this is in a $150 rifle.
Mine was a pre-accutrigger model, and yes I agree the accutrigger is great in every way.

HKGuns
July 8, 2012, 09:44 AM
It's just not the best gun for the money in many people's way of thinking.

In some people's opinion, with little to no rational reasoning to back it up.

Is it the tube feed that makes it better than the rotary magazine? - I don't think so.... How about the weight? Is a 5.5# Marlin better than a 5# 10/22? Accuracy? Doubtful......I started a whole thread on that topic and other than a troll or two, no-one had much bad to say about 10/22 accuracy. Shooter is the biggest variable in accuracy anyway.

OP, go with the 10/22 for your stated purpose. It is pretty much a no brainer, even over the much loved Marlin.

JTW Jr.
July 8, 2012, 11:54 AM
It's a Ford - Chevy - Chrysler thing here fellas.

There is no real "hands down best". The cult following of the 10/22 will always proclaim it to be the best , the Marlin guys will claim theirs, the Savage guys etc....

What you have to come to grips with is, you need one of each ;) at least.....

Having others tell you what is best for you is not the way to find out, the only way to find out is to go to the range with some friends and try out each of the ones you are interested in.

mberoose
July 8, 2012, 11:57 AM
Meh...I had a 795 and a 10/22 at the same time. I would always shoot slightly better groups with the Marlin. My only beef with the 795 was the lack of reliable hi-cap mags, so I sold it....and because the tinker bug got the best of me with my 10/22. But for out-of-the-box accuracy, decent capacity, and good value, the Marlin 60 is hard to beat in my opinion. Micro-groove rifling makes a difference.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best bang for the buck .22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!