Lost all of my AK-74 magazines....

PDA

TurtlePhish
June 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
I guess last range trip my dad forgot to load a small black bag into one of the cars... all eight of my AK-74 magazines were in there. Three Circle 10, two Circle 21, a Circle 25 and two Izhevsk plums. Totaling up current values of -74 mags, the cost to replace them would be $330+ BEFORE shipping. I can't afford that.

Does anyone have a source of less-expensive (not Tapco, please) AK-74 magazines? Even better, is anyone willing to sell me any?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost all of my AK-74 magazines...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
Yea!
Blame it on poor old dad again!

They were your mags, in your bag, and you should have been the one too --- nevermind! :D

rc

TurtlePhish
June 30, 2012, 09:44 PM
Well, he put all the magazines in the bag and brought them out of the range area... Everything else he was carrying made it into the car.

epijunkie67
June 30, 2012, 09:51 PM
I can't help with replacement but have you considered post a few signs asking about them? I'd contact the range and ask. Most shooters tend to be decent folks. You might get lucky and get them back. Someone might have contacted the range to let them know they found them? Long shot I realize but worth a try.

TurtlePhish
June 30, 2012, 09:53 PM
It would be a VERY long shot for the range to have them. The range is out in the woods- 16 covered ports, a wood stove, and a desk. No buildings, no running water, no electricity, no nothing. All the ROs are members of the range and rotate every day as part of their membership dues, so the people working the desk are different every time. Because of this, there's no centralized contact number either. I'm gonna go by and check, but I doubt they'd be there.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
June 30, 2012, 09:58 PM
That is really unfortunate, Phish, that's bad to hear. Hope you find 'em or find cheap replacements.

TurtlePhish
June 30, 2012, 09:59 PM
That is really unfortunate, Phish, that's bad to hear. Hope you find 'em or find cheap replacements.

Thanks, hoping for the same...

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
June 30, 2012, 10:04 PM
I'm kinda saving for an AK74 but the only deterrent is expensive mags... Ugh. lol

TurtlePhish
June 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
I'm kinda saving for an AK74 but the only deterrent is expensive mags... Ugh. lol

Might just sell it and buy an S-12 with the prices of -74 mags... I'll save it for you if I do.

Buck Kramer
June 30, 2012, 10:32 PM
That sucks man, I jumped around my usual cites, CDNN, Centerfire, AIM...nothing. I thought I left my AR at the range once (I didn't) but I did find out how fast I can rip my truck apart...

Buck Kramer
June 30, 2012, 10:33 PM
OOOF man, I just saw you lost some plums too, that REALLY sucks, I've been looking for a few of those for a while now.

TurtlePhish
June 30, 2012, 10:34 PM
I thought I left my AR at the range once (I didn't) but I did find out how fast I can rip my truck apart...

As soon as I noticed they were missing, I went through the basement, shop, two cars, and my bedroom... found a bunch of other junk I haven't seen in ages, but no mags.

icanthitabarn
June 30, 2012, 10:35 PM
Is this in Naugy?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
June 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
Might just sell it and buy an S-12 with the prices of -74 mags... I'll save it for you if I do.

PM me if you want to, Phish, won't turn down helping a friend out! :) Just not too expensive, buddy lol.

TurtlePhish
June 30, 2012, 10:38 PM
Is this in Naugy?

Yup. HRSA. I'm gonna run up there tomorrow and ask if they might still have them in that big chest thing, but I don't think they will. 40 minute drive to get there, too... I guess it'd be worth it if the mags are there, but if not it's a big waste of gas. Maybe I'll just bring one of my Mosins and the Savage and shoot a little so it's not a complete waste of time.

PM me if you want to, Phish, won't turn down helping a friend out! Just not too expensive, buddy lol.

Don't worry, I ain't an election-year gouger...

Buck Kramer
June 30, 2012, 10:39 PM

I got all mine from Centerfire when they were selling 4+pouch for $49.99, they are almost triple that now :(

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
June 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
I got all mine from Centerfire when they were selling 4+pouch for $49.99, they are almost triple that now

Well, my LGS gave me the run-around on an AK, said $525 first for if he ordered it, then a year later when I could afford it (couldn't last year) told me it was $650. How can prices go up that much in a year? Well, he's never been the greatest. Well, he's been good. But not great.

Noticed you're in Iowa... SW?

Buck Kramer
June 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
Nope I live in east central now, from NNE. I have the fortune of knowing a local builder so I don't have to pay retail for AK's. I built my last 74 (Bulgarian plum) for about $380 start to finish. I'm spoiled.

Walkalong
July 1, 2012, 12:04 AM
Mt dad taught me early on to always police the area before leaving.

Sorry to hear about the loss. Wish I knew a good place for quality cheap AK-74 mags.

fallout mike
July 1, 2012, 12:08 AM
That blows man. I have had no issues with the 74 tapcos after trimming here and there to make a good fit. Actually, 0 issues.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 12:09 AM
Nope I live in east central now, from NNE. I have the fortune of knowing a local builder so I don't have to pay retail for AK's. I built my last 74 (Bulgarian plum) for about $380 start to finish. I'm spoiled.

Very. Super jealous right now, lol.

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 12:13 AM
That blows man. I have had no issues with the 74 tapcos after trimming here and there to make a good fit. Actually, 0 issues.

I'm just worried about tab or feedlip breakage with harder than plinking use. I sometimes use a full mag to knock out an empty when reloading, which means the empty falls and hits the bench pretty hard. Plus, I'm looking into getting into some informal 3-gun or competition stuff.

Plus, I find the appearance of the Tapcos kind of unappealing.

Hardtarget
July 1, 2012, 12:41 AM
Try talking to the RO present when you get to the range. Maybe they can put you in touch with the right guy. You NEVER know!

Just last week, in Clarksville Tn., a man found $12,000 in CASH...sitting on top of a garbage can in front if a convience store! It had been there almost an hour. Called the police and they found the one that left it.

So...get in touch with some one at the range. gotta try!

Mark

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 12:47 AM
Try talking to the RO present when you get to the range. Maybe they can put you in touch with the right guy. You NEVER know!

Just last week, in Clarksville Tn., a man found $12,000 in CASH...sitting on top of a garbage can in front if a convience store! It had been there almost an hour. Called the police and they found the one that left it.

So...get in touch with some one at the range. gotta try!

Mark

Gonna ask around tomorrow afternoon, hope they turn up.

12 grand in cash? Holy crapola, that guy is lucky the person who found it was honest! Hope my luck is like that. Mags ARE getting hard to find, after all...

nathan
July 1, 2012, 01:23 AM
Before you leave for the range, inventory what you got. During and after range time, do another inventory. Accessories arent cheap nowadays so it pays to be keenly aware .A friend of mine also loss several mags when shooting at a private range (he was invited )with several people. Some he knew and some dont. No where to be found now. Gone gone out of thin air.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 01:27 AM
Well I tell you what, I'd love to be the honest person when it comes to cash, but it's their stupidity for leaving it... Especially that much. LOL. I've got bills to pay, and debt to pay off, so... LOL But I would at least try and find the original owner.

leadcounsel
July 1, 2012, 01:44 AM
AK74s and the round are so common, why so few mags?

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 01:51 AM
AK74s and the round are so common, why so few mags?

That is a VERY good question. Even with scarce surplus, you'd think someone domestic would manufacture a decent magazine! I wish Magpul would make AK PMags.

I think all the surplus mags got bought up in huge numbers years ago, which is why they're so scarce now.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 01:54 AM
I would bet on that.

nathan
July 1, 2012, 02:01 AM
I wish i got more but i only have five in my stash right now. The east german bakelite is the prettiest. But did got twenty strippers from Kvar to expedite the loading . The shortage of the 74 mags came it suddenly last year , i wonder why. So far no new import s . Tapco came with their own version but looks cheap.
Check KVAR and Atlantic arms for the mags.

JohnKSa
July 1, 2012, 02:05 AM
Definitely worthwhile to ask around. I left my Peltor electronic muffs at a GSSF match a few years back. Someone picked them up, notified the range and held onto them for me and I picked them up from his store a few days later.

mnrivrat
July 1, 2012, 04:09 AM
Post a reward for them at the range - give it a little time before you go out and spend for replacements.

Dr.Rob
July 1, 2012, 04:17 AM
No kidding, easy enough to staple up a "LOST" poster with your number on it.

plateshooter
July 1, 2012, 07:27 AM
Why so negative when you haven't even checked the range yet. I belong to a range with 250 members. If someone leaves stuff, it stays where they left it. If no one picks it up after a time, one of the officers does and posts it in the News Letter. Maybe your fellow shooters will look out for you more than you think. I hope so.

Trent
July 1, 2012, 07:39 AM
http://centerfiresystems.com/ak47_74_mags.aspx

The South Korean stuff is pretty damn solid. As good as the original chicom stuff. Got a few drums from here not long ago, equal or better in quality to the original Norinco's I have sealed in plastic bags.

Got some of the plastic mags.. but not too thrilled about those. Thought that the light weight would be an advantage. Found out I prefer steel.

YMMV.

Trent
July 1, 2012, 07:41 AM
BTW - these:

http://centerfiresystems.com/MAGAKA-KR30.aspx

Korean mags are about as good as it gets.

Atlantic Firearms
July 1, 2012, 09:13 AM
Tapco mags are actualy a good solid & affodable AK74 mag we use tons of them here in our test & demo guns with no issues. There are really no inexpensive imported mags out there they dried up 8 -12 months ago . We are have more Bulgarian AK74 kits coming in late July and our buyer also said he may have a seperate order of AK74 mag nailed down. Let keep our fingers crossed that this all works out !!

wally
July 1, 2012, 11:44 AM
BTW - these:

http://centerfiresystems.com/MAGAKA-KR30.aspx

Korean mags are about as good as it gets.

These are AK-47 mags, won't do him a lick of good since he needs AK-74 mags.

Surplus AK-47 mags are still cheap and plentiful, its the AK-74 (5.45x39) that have mostly disappeared.

If you are leery about Tapco mags, don't even think about Pro-Mags.

The Tapco Galil mags have all worked 100% in my converted Saiga .223, the one Tapco AK-47 mag I tried works in some AKs not it others so I've never bought more. 5.45x39 is pretty close to .223 and doesn't need the big curve of the AK-47 mags so they should be a lot easier to get right, I'd suggest giving one a try even if you get your mags back.

Trent
July 1, 2012, 12:06 PM
Ooh my bad. I completely misread the OP.

All the eastern block bakelite mags are gone? Damn I remember when you could buy those with the 4 mag pouches real cheap ... hrmph.

Guess we american consumers are hungry, hording sonsaguns..

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 12:09 PM
All the eastern block bakelite mags are gone? Damn I remember when you could buy those with the 4 mag pouches real cheap ... hrmph.

Those are the collectible ones now. Orange bakelite mags go for close to $70 apiece some places. Bulgarian black polymer mags are a lot cheaper- only around $35 each.

The worst part for me was losing the Izhevsk mags... Those ain't cheap, either. $60 at least to replace each one if they're gone.

Trent
July 1, 2012, 12:14 PM
Ugh. I remember giving away a set of four with each AK-74 I sold back in '06. (And I practically had to give the damn guns away, no one wanted to buy them back then.)

Kind of feel like someone kicked me in the balls. I literally had 1200 of those magazines, 6 years ago, and let them go for anywhere between $8-12 a piece.

Trent
July 1, 2012, 12:25 PM
Just counted what I have; I have 9 of the bakelites left. (Still have that kicked in the balls feeling...)

If you can't locate your missing mags, send me a PM, willing to sell *1* (I have an AK-74 and don't want to go lower than 8 mags myself).

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 12:41 PM
If you can't locate your missing mags, send me a PM, willing to sell *1* (I have an AK-74 and don't want to go lower than 8 mags myself).

Thanks very much, man. I appreciate it. I'll know for sure in a couple hours.

nathan
July 1, 2012, 12:49 PM
I lucked on one East German bakelite for $32 delivered from a seller at Gunbroker. THis was back in Jan this year. But they are so hard to find now. I do want another bakelite or several Bulgarian plums if they have them again .
at a cheaper price.

icanthitabarn
July 1, 2012, 02:07 PM
It looks like he will be a happy camper

Tinpig
July 1, 2012, 02:13 PM
That's tough...

My range is unregulated and has no buildings, and often I'm the only one there on a weekday. If I found something of value I'd bring it home to secure it and then contact the Association president. Have you tried calling one of your officers?

I've got to the age where I keep a complete range checklist written out, and I mark it off going and returning. Nothing worse than getting to the range with no ammo or no keys, or coming home with no mags or, God forbid, leaving a rifle on the table.

Tinpig

Atlantic Firearms
July 1, 2012, 02:25 PM
Bakelite mags are real cool looking with wood AK74 rifles !!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/AK74MAGBAKELITE.jpg

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 02:39 PM
Lucky me, the guys found the mags and kept 'em in the lockbox. There's a reason I give them my money. Best range in CT in my opinion. If any of you are from CT or end up in CT, please stop by High Rock in Naugatuck. It's in the middle of the woods, but it's a great place.

Thanks, everyone! Well, mods, I guess this is all figured out. Lock 'er up if you need to.

Bakelite mags are real cool looking with wood AK74 rifles !!

I know! I would have put wood furniture on my AK if the mags were cheaper. The wood and orange look is the one I really love, but plum and black isn't too far behind.

7.62 Nato
July 1, 2012, 02:44 PM
Congrats! Couldn't have turned out better.

Sebastian the Ibis
July 1, 2012, 03:22 PM
Put up a flyer. I know someone that left a $2,000 spotting scope on the side of the road, and got it back 6 months later when the person who found it saw the add in a coffee shop.

Trent
July 1, 2012, 07:44 PM
Congrats dude. We all know how much you were sweating that one. :)

I still feel like I got kicked in the balls for selling all those damn bakelite mags...but I'm happy for ya. :)

Now I'm gonna be paranoid about selling ANYTHING again!

wally
July 1, 2012, 07:54 PM
Glad you got them back! I still think you should give one of the Tapco AK74 mags a try, and if it works for you, save wear and tear on your expensive and hard to replace mags.

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 07:57 PM
Congrats dude. We all know how much you were sweating that one.

I still feel like I got kicked in the balls for selling all those damn bakelite mags...but I'm happy for ya.

Now I'm gonna be paranoid about selling ANYTHING again!
I feel bad for ya, that's a TON of money... But hey, you still have more of them than most of us :neener:

Glad you got them back! I still think you should give one of the Tapco AK74 mags a try, and if it works for you, save wear and tear on your expensive and hard to replace mags.

Thank you! I was thinking about it, I might actually get a Tapco and see just how tough and reliable they are. I've heard several stories of the tabs breaking, but I guess it would make sense to find out just how true they are.

Trent
July 1, 2012, 08:01 PM
If you do buy tapco mags, lemme know how they work out. Would like to "retire" the bakelites. If you remember, maybe shoot me a PM. :)

(Two of the 9 I counted earlier were loaded and sitting NEXT to the damn rifle... no idea how LONG they've been sitting there loaded.. probably 4+ years.. gonna take them out later and make sure the springs still work, the fun way..)

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 08:04 PM
If you do buy tapco mags, lemme know how they work out. Would like to "retire" the bakelites. If you remember, maybe shoot me a PM.

(Two of the 9 I counted earlier were loaded and sitting NEXT to the damn rifle... no idea how LONG they've been sitting there loaded.. probably 4+ years.. gonna take them out later and make sure the springs still work, the fun way..)

Sure thing! I wonder what color I should get... :D

The springs should still work fine. Repeated use wears springs, not sitting around compressed or relaxed. Though that could be a reason to retire them, right there... AK mag springs are pretty cheap, though.

Trent
July 1, 2012, 08:26 PM
Color?

Man I'm the wrong person to ask there. I have a pink ribbon tied around the rails of my SCAR17S - my "I heart boobies" salute!

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/424077_356956261001977_2005296000_n.jpg

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 08:29 PM
Nice! I bet that gets some looks at the range.

Cal-gun Fan
July 1, 2012, 09:02 PM
Glad you found those, Turtlephish! Nice to hear that they were still there.

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 09:03 PM
Glad you found those, Turtlephish! Nice to hear that they were still there.

Thanks, glad I found them too! Goes to show you that shooters are good, honest people. :)

HoosierQ
July 1, 2012, 10:13 PM
Belonging to a nice private range has many advantages. I suspect your result would have been different at a public range...but to be honest, I am familiar there with the indoor, shooting guns sideways, urban type places. Aroung here, it's either the private range where your fellows are salt of the earth, or you got the indoor range where you gotta watch out for the people shooting rapid fire gansta style...seen it more than once.

Many warm wishes and thanks should go out to the fine fellows at your range. That's worth more than gold.

Great outcome. I am also happy to say that luck, while present here, wasn't the key factor. The honesty and decency of your range mates saved the day.

QB

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 10:17 PM
Belonging to a nice private range has many advantages. I suspect your result would have been different at a public range...but to be honest, I am familiar there with the indoor, shooting guns sideways, urban type places. Aroung here, it's either the private range where your fellows are salt of the earth, or you got the indoor range where you gotta watch out for the people shooting rapid fire gansta style...seen it more than once.

Many warm wishes and thanks should go out to the fine fellows at your range. That's worth more than gold.

Great outcome.

Actually, believe it or not, it's a public range. Judging from the people I've seen there over several trips, they have a few dozen regulars and tons of people rotating through all day, every day they're open. Once again, absolutely amazing that the mags were there, and again a testament to shooters as a whole.

I thanked them like crazy when they said they had them, and actually met some new folks and learned a bit about archery and CAS. It was Cowboy Day today. :D

JEB
July 2, 2012, 01:27 AM
really glad to hear your good news! sounds like a great group of people at that range.

Ignition Override
July 2, 2012, 01:36 AM
TurtlePhish:
Congatulations! Even if some other member had found them and wanted to use them, the specific gun required would have prevented their use, with fairly rare exceptions.

Art Eatman
July 2, 2012, 11:01 AM
Good that there was a happy ending. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost all of my AK-74 magazines...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!