Urgent: Cleaning Rod Stuck in Bore.

PDA

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 06:08 PM
How do I remove without damage? It won't budge.

Sent from my MP3/Hands-Free/Web-Browsing Device

If you enjoyed reading about "Urgent: Cleaning Rod Stuck in Bore." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dark.zero.x
July 1, 2012, 06:12 PM
rubber mallet, tap the barrel. Is there something on the end of the rod? What gun/cal is it?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 06:16 PM
Well here's the deal, it belonged to my buddy and we were cleaning it because of malfunctions caused by lack of cleaning. It's a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22, and the guy didn't want it anymore do I offered him $150 and he bit. So now I have an AR-type rifle on the cheap and just need to fix it. I spent 2 hours trying to tap it out, but it just won't budge at all.

rcmodel
July 1, 2012, 06:20 PM
What kind of cleaning rod is it??

Aluminum jointed?
Wood dowel rod?
Other?

At any rate, pour some penetrating oil down the barrel from the other end the rod is sticking out of, and lean it in a corner for a day to soak in.

Unless its a wedged broken dowell rod?
You should be able to push, pull, or pound it out then.

rc

SleazyRider
July 1, 2012, 06:22 PM
A grease gun can move the world, and I've removed plenty of barrel obstructions without damage by clamping a rubber hose and zerk fitting to the barrel and giving it a few pumps. Messy, but it's never let me down.

content
July 1, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Is there a brush or patch on the end of the rod?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 06:29 PM
Aluminum from a Winchester kit. And the brush is almost to chamber.

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 06:32 PM
Tap it all the way through to the chamber, then. Unscrew the brush and pull the whole mess out. Nice buy, though. Jealous.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 06:34 PM
I can't get it to move at all. It's wedged tight.

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 06:36 PM
Is there anything sticking out of the muzzle you can whack with a mallet? Or did the rod go in the breech end?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 06:37 PM
Went through muzzle, mistake l forgot to correct. Brush is like an inch from the chamber and I can't get it to move at all.

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 06:38 PM
So there's part of the rod sticking out?

K1500
July 1, 2012, 06:38 PM
I had a SEVERELY leaded bore in a .22 that had a rod stuck. Force it out and lead shavings will come out with it. Consider the rod a loss and hammer on it.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 06:46 PM
No, rod is completely hidden in the barrel. And I don't want to bust the polymer upper. :/

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 06:47 PM
I've bent all my remaining cleaning rods trying to get the sucker out.

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 07:00 PM
Is it... like... epoxied in or something? Put some lead/powder solvent in there to dissolve any fouling that could be gluing in it place.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 07:12 PM
I don't know what all will work for it. Hoppes No. 9?

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hoppes isn't the best, but it'll certainly do the job. Actually, maybe it'll dissolve the brush enough to get out...

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 07:16 PM
I'll try it.

essayons21
July 1, 2012, 07:16 PM
Get some Kroil or equivalent penetrating oil, let it soak over night. Then hammer that sucker out with a dowel.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 08:08 PM
Rod's all deformed in there... Bent to hell. Not even sure what's causing it to be jammed like that otherwise. I've hammered rods out before and never had this problem. Should I just beat the tar out of it and not worry about the upper? Will I crack it? Damn this day.

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 08:20 PM
Ick... I hope the bore isn't too much of a mess. Sounds pretty awful. You might wanna get that checked out by a gunsmith.

Trent
July 1, 2012, 08:22 PM
If you're that concerned about the upper, you can always take the barrel off.

I'd plug one end, pour copper solvent in. Sleep on it. Try again the next day.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 08:56 PM
Anyone know the number to Smith and Wesson customer service? And one know of anyone who sells new uppers for M&P15-22?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 08:58 PM

Here's the "deal" in question.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 08:59 PM
Ad yea that is another cleaning rod, stuck again.

rcmodel
July 1, 2012, 09:00 PM
They have a website with all the info on it if you Google S&W customer service.

Nevermind.
I'll look it up for you.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757826_-1_757814_757812_image

I suggest you call, not email them.

rc

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 09:02 PM
Ad yea that is another cleaning rod, stuck again.

Now it's got one in each end? I'm gonna be high road about this and stick to saying that that's gonna be one hell of a mess to get fixed.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 09:06 PM
Now it's got one in each end? I'm gonna be high road about this and stick to saying that that's gonna be one hell of a mess to get fixed.

Thanks RC. Have a bit of a temper, heh...

Gonna see what they can do

jmr40
July 1, 2012, 10:08 PM
You need to accept the fact that you may need to return this one to S&W for a new barrel. Good luck, but I think this is where you are heading.

TurtlePhish
July 1, 2012, 10:14 PM
You need to accept the fact that you may need to return this one to S&W for a new barrel. Good luck, but I think this is where you are heading.

Even then, still a killer deal... $150 for an M&P15-22 and three mags? I'd take that if all I had to do was send in the upper for repair.

musicman10_1
July 1, 2012, 10:35 PM
I suggest just stepping away from the project and taking a look at it in the morning.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 1, 2012, 10:40 PM
Gonna talk to Smith and Wesson tomorrow and see what they'll do for me. I'm the second owner and this is how the rifle came to me. Already broke the rod coming out of the receiver end.. Ugh. Might just see how much a new upper is. I don't have any boxes around here for it.

rcmodel
July 1, 2012, 10:43 PM
The post office has free boxes.

No special handling or expense to send them just the upper.

The lower has the serial number on it and it is considered the gun in the eyes of the law and the post man.

dak0ta
July 1, 2012, 10:43 PM
Did you use the wrong size cleaning rod?

Trent
July 1, 2012, 11:08 PM
Dude... take the barrel off that thing already before you bust up the upper!

Instructions here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hez1P4tOzQ

Trent
July 1, 2012, 11:09 PM
PS Mods... this thread should probably get moved to gunsmithing & repairs.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 2, 2012, 03:09 PM
Talked to Smith and Wesson this morning and they aren't covering it under warranty, gonna cost me 130 for a new barrel plus shipping. So I'm gonna have my local smith try his hand on it first.

mookiie
July 2, 2012, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear that LJ, hopefully your local smith will have the touch! Best of luck!

wally
July 2, 2012, 06:34 PM
Talked to Smith and Wesson this morning and they aren't covering it under warranty,

Duh?! They have great customer support, but there are limits.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 2, 2012, 07:32 PM
I was just reconfirming what I thought was the case. No need for the "Duh!?".

The 'smith doesn't know how long it will take and he charges hourly... Not going to spend over $400 just to get a rod out. Though Smith & Wesson said if there's no damage to the bore, they'll get the rod out for free... Gotta take it to the post office tomorrow.

meanmrmustard
July 2, 2012, 07:37 PM
I was just reconfirming what I thought was the case. No need for the "Duh!?".

The 'smith doesn't know how long it will take and he charges hourly... Not going to spend over $400 just to get a rod out. Though Smith & Wesson said if there's no damage to the bore, they'll get the rod out for free... Gotta take it to the post office tomorrow.

Since the obstructed barrel belongs to you, I would request they keep you informed of what work is being done. If the barrel, according to them, is damaged, request that they ship it back so you can verify for yourself. That way, you can't get stiffed. Not that I think Smith would do that, but you never can tell.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 2, 2012, 07:46 PM
Well since I'm paying for shipping both ways, might as well take the old one back as well. If anything it can go to scrap if it is bad.

And do I just write in a slip to be notified?

scythefwd
July 2, 2012, 07:53 PM
did you consider heating the barrel? How bout unscrewing the stuck rod from the jag on the end and removing the rod, with the jag left in the barrel. Then take a brass rod, 220 in diameter or smaller, and hit it hard. With all of the hammering you've done on this.. that barrel is probably already done for.

Or possibly using a drill and a jag to drill out the stuck piece?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 2, 2012, 08:03 PM
The rod is already all the way into the barrel can't get it out.

meanmrmustard
July 2, 2012, 09:06 PM
Well since I'm paying for shipping both ways, might as well take the old one back as well. If anything it can go to scrap if it is bad.

And do I just write in a slip to be notified?

Email, call AND leave a note with the barrel. That way they can't say you never told them to return it if replaced. As I said, I don't think they'd pull a fast one on ya, but I'd cover all your bases.

rcmodel
July 2, 2012, 09:10 PM
They probably won't want to give it back.

When I used to see stuff like that come through the 5th. Army AMU shop we liked to keep it around and have a good laugh every once and a while.

rc

meanmrmustard
July 2, 2012, 09:13 PM

When I used to see stuff like that come through the 5th. Army AMU shop we liked to keep it around and have a good laugh every once and a while.

rc
Wanting to and HAVING to are different. It's his property.

Besides...they probably have cameras to relive the mockery later!

rcmodel
July 2, 2012, 09:16 PM
Wanting to and HAVING to are different. It's his property.Maybe so, and maybe not.

If they deem the S&W barrel with thier proof mark on it a safety hazard now, they most certainly don't have to give it back.

rc

carbine85
July 2, 2012, 09:18 PM
Clamp the rod in a vice and twist the barrel back and forth while you pull on it.

meanmrmustard
July 2, 2012, 09:21 PM
Maybe so, and maybe not.

If they deem the S&W barrel with thier proof mark on it a safety hazard now, they most certainly don't have to give it back.

rc
I'll contest that one. S&W or not, it left the factory, it's his property, not theirs. Not saying they wouldnt make it unusable in some way as to avoid ANY liability by deactivation. Bet my bottom dollar that if Mosin stresses the issue, they'll deliver.

gunnysmith
July 2, 2012, 09:52 PM
Just want to know if it was a sectional rod rather than one piece.
The reason I ask is the coupling points of the rod will expand and wedge the rod.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
Gunny, that is pretty much what happened. It's a sectional rod. Well I may or may not take the old barrel back, I'm not terribly concerned. I mean come on, if I get the upper back and there's no rod in the bore, then it's a vast improvement verses now.

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
July 2, 2012, 10:05 PM
I would be tempted to get some 3/16" brass rod ,cut a piece about 4 to 6 inches long , drive it into the barrel hard and it should break loose the brush and rod . use slightly longer sections of rod until it is free . Kevin The barrel is steel if the rod is alluminum or brass it should not damage the barrel , as long as you dont bend the barrel . Kevin

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 2, 2012, 10:09 PM
Been trying that. But the rods keep bending or snapping.

Jeff H
July 2, 2012, 11:38 PM
Dude, it is an AR. take the gun apart, find a solid brass rod and drive the damn thing out backwards if you can't push it anymore.

Don't have a brass rod? take a trip to a local model hobby shop and find their supply of K&S brass and Al. You should find one for a couple of dollars and you'll need it in the future.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 3, 2012, 12:11 AM
I've beat on this thing for about 6 hours now, and no dice.

ColtPythonElite
July 3, 2012, 12:32 AM
As suggested, plug the barrel and fill with solvent for a few.days to eat up the brush. Then get a brass rod as suggested and cut it short enough that only a couple of inches sticks out. Drill a hole in a piece of wood or plastic cutting board and slide it over then rod for a guard. Lube with a goods penetrating oil. Frail with at least 3# hammer.

jim147
July 3, 2012, 12:41 AM
Sometimes you just have to hold your mouth just right.

jim

gunnysmith
July 3, 2012, 12:56 AM
Try putting it in a freezer for about 4-5 hours.
After its frozen have warm water ready

Carefully clamp the barrel in a vise with the chamber end lower than the muzzle.
Get a rod ready to push the stuck rod out pour hot water over the chamber end forward for about 12 inches while pushing against the stuck rod.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 3, 2012, 01:36 AM
I can't get any solvent in there, the whole barrel is filled with rod. Minus about an inch from muzzle. And there's a rod stuck in the chamber.

musicman10_1
July 3, 2012, 02:11 AM
Good Lord - this is getting to be a little comical. It seems like a joke is buried in this thread that starts: Do you know how many gun nuts it takes to get a stuck cleaning rod out of a barrel?

Sorry for your trouble; I can't wait to find out how it turns out! :)

CABob
July 3, 2012, 02:33 AM
I'm with musicman...can't wait to read the end of the story. Got nothing new to offer, but it's entertaining as hell.
Sorry about that LJ.

ColtPythonElite
July 3, 2012, 02:34 AM
Cut the corner out of a baggie, stick barrel thru hole and then put on a rubber band. Put solvent/oil in baggie and it's will drain down....been lubing motorcycle cables this way for years.

MoMatt
July 3, 2012, 02:39 AM
Man, sorry to hear about that.

I second the freezing / hot-water-over-the-barrel method, partly as something new to try and partly because it makes sense. Whether or not the ~100deg difference will be enough to shrink the brass enough... you'll just have to crack a beer and find out.

You don't happen to have any liquid nitrogen, do you?

hang fire
July 3, 2012, 03:05 AM
On pic you posted, it that a beater rod, or part of the cleaning rod sticking out of receiver?

If cleaning rod, clamp in a vice and get western about pulling (not twisting) and jerking straight out on the barrel, with another person helping to pull & jerk.

May have missed it, but are brush bristles wire or nylon? Sometimes on the twisted wire bristle holding type, the danm end will break off and jam the rod in beside it, so pulling is better than driving it further in. The twisted wire for holding brush bristles can be steel, and beating on it with a softer drift can still cause the harder wire to mar the bore.

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 3, 2012, 03:41 AM

The guy that had the custom 6 shot 7 fluted cylinder got to keep the cylinder after they fitted a new one. They even said he could keep it.

Steel Talon
July 3, 2012, 03:57 AM
Send it to S&W let them try to get it out. It's free right? so be done with the stress. Be prepared to buy a new barrel and move on with life. They will more than likely send your old one back to you anyway. If not what are you going to do with a damaged barrel? Sell it?

More than likely you used the wrong sized bore brush, a brush collar, or you over wrapped a patch around the brush or chore boy.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 3, 2012, 04:01 AM
Lol guys, thanks. I was still pissy about this but now I'm looking at it humorously as well. Haha all these gun nuts to get a stuck rod out. Yeah, it's the beater rid sticking out if the receiver.

And to add yet another scar, here's the newest battle wound. And no, cold to hot didn't help.

It was a gusher. Pinched the web of my left hand between the hammer and flash hider.

Steel Talon
July 3, 2012, 04:08 AM
Damn Dude lol.... Blood Sweat and Tears in this barrel.Hard core brother hard core

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 3, 2012, 07:06 AM
Lol it's the only way to do it man! Haha. Off to Smith and Wesson come payday.

Certaindeaf
July 3, 2012, 11:25 AM
Look at the bright side.

SlamFire1
July 3, 2012, 12:21 PM
This reminds me of :

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.
I dunno why she swallowed that fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wiggled and wiggled and tickled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly -
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd, to swallow a bird!
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
That wiggled and wiggled and tickled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly -
Perhaps she'll die

Don't get to the horse stage. :)

I think the best thing to do is call S&W and send the thing off to them, pay for the work and shipping. If the barrel is totally kluged because everything is jammed in there, S&W can replace the barrel.

I suspect the aluminum rod is bent in the barrel and nothing is going to get it out.

Certaindeaf
July 3, 2012, 12:30 PM
I'd love to see an X-Ray of that thing. The joints must be all mushroomed and or slipwedged like crazy after a day or so of pounding.

Trent
July 3, 2012, 01:07 PM
Dude, at first, I was concerned. But now you've got two rods stuck, a smashed hand, and you've probably invented more than a few new swear words.

I'm going to bring a new thought to the fight. 20+ ton hydraulic press.

That rod WILL come out. How much rifling it takes with it... well, hell, at this point how much is already gone?

You're gonna be in for a new barrel probably anyway. Might as well press the damn thing out and run a scope through it to check for damage afterwards.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 3, 2012, 03:39 PM
Just gonna let S&W deal with it, lol, but gotta wait until payday.

tritonguy
July 3, 2012, 05:12 PM
Well, you've come this far, don't give up yet! Try some Drano crystals dissolved in water. It's caustic (high pH) and will dissolve aluminum quite well without affecting the steel of the barrel. I'd try a tiny bit first on any plastic that might it might contact. Just be sure to do it in a well ventilated place. There'll be plenty of heat and some hydrogen gas!!!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 3, 2012, 05:30 PM
Don't want any chemical burns now lol. And will it desolve brass, too? I doubt I could get any in there, it would just sit in the first inch from the crown.

7thCavScout
July 3, 2012, 07:07 PM
Following this thread has been the most excitement I've had all day.
Good luck, LJ, I'm rooting for ya!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 3, 2012, 07:45 PM
Lol thanks, Cav. SW IA? SE? NW? NE? Central? lol

P51D
July 3, 2012, 10:42 PM
Good luck, LJ! I'm rooting for you as well. You're being a great sport about this; very High Road of you. There might be a lesson in there for the rest of us as well. Come to think of it, I've made a few mistakes before myself. Plus, as you pointed out, the rifle came to you with the cleaning rod stuck. Good luck! :cool:

P51D

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 3, 2012, 11:00 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, the brush on the end of the rod is bare, it is .22, and it was brand-spankin' new, just picked up from Walmart. The rods are actually Brass, and not aluminum as stated earlier.

I couldn't get any solvent to go down the bore, the baggie I had filled with solvent was filled to the same capacity as before... lol.

And thanks, P51D, I'm trying lol.

tubeshooter
July 4, 2012, 02:06 AM
I am rooting for you, too...

I think a lot of people will learn from the end result.

Maybe put the barrel in a vice and use a small winch (some people call them a "come-along") to pull the rod (clamped with vice grips or something)? Just an idea. I'm pretty sure the penetrating oil wouldn't hurt, either.

TurtlePhish
July 4, 2012, 02:12 AM
If you know any machine shops... hydraulic press.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 4, 2012, 02:56 AM
Vice grips keep pullin away material

hang fire
July 4, 2012, 04:12 AM
Clamp the rod in a good biting vice, then tug on the barrel.

DefiantDad
July 4, 2012, 05:33 AM
It's getting confusing what kinds of things you've already tried, and I have zero experience with this kind of thing. New to guns myself anyways.

But just saying, if I were in your shoes, I might try to boil up some real hot water, and stick the whole thing in, and try to twist and turn the rod out with a pair of pliers at the end.

Really hot water often does magical unexplainable things, when gear gets stuck, and is a fairly clean method.

This is, of course, assuming all that pounding has not made whatever is going on inside the bore harder to "unstick."

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 4, 2012, 08:01 AM
Well I managed to find a way to keep the solvent in the barrel using an old bottle of lighter fluid, the baggie with solvent idea didn't work as solvent just ate through. Can't help but feel like I was trolled there lol.

So since I have to wait until next Thursday to send her off, I'll be trying all sorts of things by myself.

Jeff H
July 4, 2012, 08:37 AM
If I understand you correctly, you have a piece of a rod stuck in both ends of the barrel with the brush attached to the end that is pushed in the muzzle.

Are both pieces of the rod stuck in flush or just the one in the muzzle? can you stick the rod that is in the breech end in a vise and pull it out of the barrel? If you can find a way to get that piece out, at least you could get the chemicals to the brush or you could try a stiffer rod from the breech end. Short pieces of 3/16" brass rod would do better than one long piece since the long piece will just bend.

Husker1911
July 4, 2012, 09:05 AM
I must admit to enjoying some Schadenfreude. So there's another opportunity for a learning experience from this thread. Just look up the meaning of the word.

Good luck, LJ.

Certaindeaf
July 4, 2012, 02:41 PM
If parts of the rod are sticking out of both sides (?) try to seriously clamp a vicegrip to the rod sideways and then hammer the side of the vicegrip with about a three pound doublejack.. try to pound the rod out, not in.

You can do it!

Certaindeaf
July 4, 2012, 02:58 PM
Maybe you could hook it up with electricity so that electrolysis will erode the rod.

You can do it!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 4, 2012, 04:08 PM
Okay, well there's one rod stuck in the bore now, from muzzle end. And a beater rod stuck in the bore, chamber end. I tried using vice-grips to hammer out the beater rod, but it just snapped the rod almost flush with the receiver, can only get vice-grips around it now lengthwise. And it slips a lot.

Electro---? How do I go about doing that?

DefiantDad
July 4, 2012, 06:16 PM
I am not sure electrolysis will work because the entire thing, with barrel, is conductive. And it probably will erode first at the point where you connect the rod with the wires. This is all tangential anyway.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 4, 2012, 06:25 PM
Well I have solvent sitting in the barrel crown end, but not sure if it'll seep down to the brush at all so...

Maverick223
July 4, 2012, 10:31 PM
You need to use a strong copper solvent for any results in the near future. I would try KG-12, but Butch's Bore Shine or Sweets-7.62 wouldn't be horrible choices either (and you can usually find them locally, KG-12 not so much). Just do NOT let any of the above sit on plastic (that goes for most any other decent bore cleaner too)!

:)

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 4, 2012, 10:48 PM
Well, I changed solvent before leaving for work, it was colored green. I don't know if it was actually working, though, because it was just sitting on top of the rod stuck in the bore, I don't think it seeped. I'm running out of ideas, but I am praying for a miracle that I don't have to send it off, and that it'll come out here soon...

Well, one can dream, anyways.

Maverick223
July 4, 2012, 10:56 PM
You'd be hard pressed to seal it up tight enough to prevent the solvent from creeping all the way down the barrel. Green means it's working, I'd keep at it and see where it goes.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 4, 2012, 11:19 PM
See, I kind-of figured it was, because I noticed brass gets the greenish color in oxidation that copper does, so I figured if it's just the outside of the rods that are getting the solvent, and the more that comes off, the better it'll be. But at the same time, it could just be some of the copper plating that some of the .22 rounds have that he put through. Just have to wait and see.

rcmodel
July 4, 2012, 11:22 PM
or Sweets-7.62 wouldn't be horrible choices eitherWould be a terrible choice.

Any ammonia bearing copper solvent strong enough to eat a brass cleaning rod 16" deep will ruin the barrel if left in it long enough to do it.

rc

Maverick223
July 4, 2012, 11:23 PM
You got it, brass is just copper and zinc (with some other trace alloys added for desired properties).

Would be a terrible choice.

Any ammonia bearing copper solvent strong enough to eat a brass cleaning rod 16" deep will ruin the barrel if left in it long enough to do it.That's why KG-12 was my first choice, but any ammonia based copper solvent left long enough to eat away a rod will cause some damage (I've never left any long enough to find out exactly how much and haven't any intentions of testing my luck), even a comparably weak one like Hoppe's No.9-BR. either way, it still beats throwing away a barrel that *might* be salvageable.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 4, 2012, 11:26 PM
Would there be much damage done if Hoppe's #9 is left in there, then, RC? The solvent was pretty thoroughly colored green after around 5 hours, but I slept on it, too, until around 2, but didn't change the solvent until around 3:30.

Maverick223
July 4, 2012, 11:30 PM
Would there be much damage done if Hoppe's #9 is left in thereIt, too, is ammonia based, and while it is much weaker than the aforementioned copper solvents will still do your bbl no good (it just takes longer to have the same effect). If it's standard No. 9 it would probably take several days for any detrimental effect to start to take place, if it's No. 9-Benchrest, a little quicker, but your still fine for a day or two (overnight is recommended for a copper laden barrel). That said, I believe it's a risk worth taking if you're ready to send it back for a re-bbl. OTOH KG-12 really would be a much safer choice, so you may want to look into purchasing some (it's good stuff anyway).

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 4, 2012, 11:35 PM
Well, I'll probably just let it sit in there for another night or so, then flush as best as I can with something.

7thCavScout
July 5, 2012, 12:29 PM
Lol thanks, Cav. SW IA? SE? NW? NE? Central? lol
SW...Carroll

Have you tried heating up the barrel with a torch?

788Ham
July 5, 2012, 03:32 PM
LJ,
As for all things you've tried so far, have you gotten your $150.00 worth yet? I don't think I could have stayed with this project as long as you have! Send in to manuf., let them figure it out, then, remember to clean the bore more often than your friend did! Lessons for all of us here.

NeuseRvrRat
July 5, 2012, 03:34 PM
i'd just put a new barrel on it and hang that one up on the wall as a reminder

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 5, 2012, 04:25 PM
I've also learned that cleaning rods are not going to be part of my tool kit any longer.

R.W.Dale
July 5, 2012, 04:28 PM
Double post

R.W.Dale
July 5, 2012, 04:30 PM
I've also learned that cleaning rods are not going to be part of my tool kit any longer.

If you want to get technical no kind of cleaning device nerds to be sent through a 22lr bore.

At this point I'd Yank the barrel. Replace it with an aftermarket unit and then get really rough with the plugged one.

Don't throw those rods away yet. You will need them for your centerfires

NeuseRvrRat
July 5, 2012, 04:34 PM
i'll bite...

so how do you clean your .22LR bores? or do you just not clean them at all?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 5, 2012, 04:39 PM
Well in my own firearms, my .22 Marlin is rarely cleaned, the most it sees is a bore-snake.

My long rifles all see a bore snake, too. Except on hard cleans. But I used all of my rods trying to get two out (bent or broke).

But of course, now I have a semi-auto that needs cared for. Who sells after market barrels for the 15-22?

Trent
July 5, 2012, 04:41 PM
I use bore snakes on most of my stuff too. Only my bolt actions receive very fine attention in a gun vice with the proper guides / etc.

NeuseRvrRat
July 5, 2012, 04:41 PM
i've had good luck with a patch worm. if i do want to use a rod and brush on my .22 rimfires, i use a bore guide and a .17 rod.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 5, 2012, 04:46 PM
Yeah, just bore-snake for me.

R.W.Dale
July 5, 2012, 05:29 PM
i'll bite...

so how do you clean your .22LR bores? or do you just not clean them at all?

If they don't get wet I don't touch em. As this thread illustrates to an extreme you'll do far more damage cleaning a 22 than you ever will shooting lubricated soft lead bullets through one.

Besides that I've not met a 22 yet that didn't shoot best with several dozen rounds through the tube vs clean

As you've learned segmented rods are garbage. Do yourself a massive favor and INVEST in a quality one piece rod.

Certaindeaf
July 5, 2012, 05:57 PM
Just wait'll you get all snakestuck. I'd also say to get a good one piece stainless and use it carefully.

meanmrmustard
July 5, 2012, 06:13 PM
Odd. I've used bore snakes nigh on 10 years now, several different calibers, center fire rifles and pistol, rimfire just the same. Never got a single one stuck, or broke.:scrutiny:

rcmodel
July 5, 2012, 06:15 PM
Well I've used cleaning rods for about 60 years and never got one of them stuck either.

Not saying I never will, but I really really doubt it!

rc

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 5, 2012, 06:18 PM
In use I've never gotten one stuck. The one I did get stuck was used as a beater rod.

meanmrmustard
July 5, 2012, 06:20 PM
Well I've used cleaning rods for about 60 years and never got one of them stuck either.

Not saying I never will, but I really really doubt it!

rc
I admit, I've not added any ideas on removing one from OPs barrel, as I've never lodged a rod either, nor am I even certain how that was done, unless an over sized patch was forced in and could go no further.

rcmodel
July 5, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm thinking the barrel on the gun was very badly leaded.

Then when a new bore brush was forced in it, it became very tight.
Then pounding on the jointed rod swelled the joints like wedges inside the bore.
Then bad went from worse, to really really worse.

The more pounding, the tighter & tighter the joints became wedged in the bore.

rc

meanmrmustard
July 5, 2012, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking the barrel on the gun was very badly leaded.

Then when a new bore brush was forced in it, it became very tight.
Then pounding on the jointed rod swelled the joints like wedges inside the bore.
Then bad went from worse, to really really worse.

The more pounding, the tighter & tighter the joints became wedged in the bore.

rc
That'd do it. I wasn't aware there was a brush on the end, thought jag and patch. If the rifling is peened, that barrel is a paper weight.

R.W.Dale
July 5, 2012, 07:37 PM
That'd do it. I wasn't aware there was a brush on the end, thought jag and patch. If the rifling is peened, that barrel is a paper weight.

No just the barrel is.

You'd have to find some really substandard 22lr ammunition to actually lead a bore with the stuff. The only crap I know that'd do it would be the infamous Russian surok

Dollars to doughnuts a jag n tight fitting patch was attempted to be reversed in the bore. It stuck, the owner panicked and the cheap Chinese made toy cleaning kit rod split at a joint creating a wedge.

meanmrmustard
July 5, 2012, 07:40 PM
No just the barrel is.

You'd have to find some really substandard 22lr ammunition to actually lead a bore with the stuff. The only crap I know that'd do it would be the infamous Russian surok

Dollars to doughnuts a jag n tight fitting patch was attempted to be reversed in the bore. It stuck, the owner panicked and the cheap Chinese made toy cleaning kit rod split at a joint creating a wedge.
I said the barrel if rifling is chewed up. Got me confused Dale...

R.W.Dale
July 5, 2012, 07:42 PM
I said the barrel. Got me confused Dale

Sorry that's what I get for speed reading

meanmrmustard
July 5, 2012, 07:48 PM
Sorry that's what I get for speed reading
No worries. I'm just now getting up to speed on the whole debacle myself.

joed
July 5, 2012, 07:58 PM
I hate to bring this up but why don't you just take it to a gunsmith before you wreck it? I'm somewhat stuborn but not stupid.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 5, 2012, 08:08 PM
Because I'm not paying him hourly for something he wont be able to get done right away.

The kid that originally owned this rifle used all sorts of ammo in this gun, including those piney mountain tracers. He never cleaned it for as long as he's owned it (he's the original owner, he bought it new). I watched him put the brush in, I verified that it was a .22 brush before we even inserted it. Another buddy put the brush in the gun, and when it got stuck, he tried pulling it out before I could even tell him no. Then it just wouldn't come out. At all.

To the right on the shelf and in that plastic bag you can see all the rounds that came with the deal, and as you can see they're a mixed bunch. In the bag he just poured out different boxes if ammo into, much to my ire.

*sigh* I guess you can never win.

Maverick223
July 5, 2012, 09:33 PM
Even a .22LR needs to be cleaned from time to time (albeit infrequently) to remove leading. That said, a simple brush in the bore (from a BoreSnake, or one attached to a quality 1-pc rod) every 1-2k rnds. will do the trick. Centerfire firearms (as well as .17cal. RFs) must be cleaned to retain decent accuracy (at least when using jacketed bullets), and need to be cleaned somewhat often (how often depends upon many variables including the quality of bbl, the chambering, and projectiles used). I would highly suggest investing in a good .22caliber (for nearly universal use) 1-pc. rod made of either Stainless Steel (Pro-Shot) or Carbon Fiber (Tipton).

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 5, 2012, 11:36 PM
Well I'm done screwing with it. Getting nowhere. Off to Smith & Wesson come payday.

BullfrogKen
July 5, 2012, 11:42 PM
Smartest decision you made this week.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 5, 2012, 11:56 PM
Well that, and turning down an offer from an acquaintance for a run-of-the-mill Mosin for $300. Lol

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 22, 2012, 05:10 PM
UPDATE:

I got one rod out! Woohoo! Lol I got one more to go.

~On The Road Again...~

meanmrmustard
July 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
UPDATE:

I got one rod out! Woohoo! Lol I got one more to go.

~On The Road Again...~
Keep at her, man!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 22, 2012, 05:22 PM
I don't know what made me do it, but I picked it up, put a set of vicegrips on the rod coming through the receiver, and just started whaling on it, and fwoop, came right out. I've got the brush end of the bore-rod soaking in solvent, now. We'll see where this goes.

meanmrmustard
July 22, 2012, 06:08 PM
I don't know what made me do it, but I picked it up, put a set of vicegrips on the rod coming through the receiver, and just started whaling on it, and fwoop, came right out. I've got the brush end of the bore-rod soaking in solvent, now. We'll see where this goes.
What did the freed rod look like after annexation of the bore?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 22, 2012, 06:14 PM
No different really than it did when it went in, oddly enough. My take on it is that it slipped over the brush (because I didn't think enough to cut the hollow-part off or to use the solid end first) and the brush pretty much hooked itself to the hollow ends' threads.

meanmrmustard
July 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
No different really than it did when it went in, oddly enough. My take on it is that it slipped over the brush (because I didn't think enough to cut the hollow-part off or to use the solid end first) and the brush pretty much hooked itself to the hollow ends' threads.
Holy hell, I'm cornfused...so, what's left in there?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
The original cleaning rod with brush attached.

shootr
July 22, 2012, 10:15 PM
Dang! I was reading along and hoping for VICTORY!!! Ya did win a battle though, so keep at it! Regardless of how the rifling might look when you're done, as long as it's safe - try it out. It might still shoot fine.

Trying to visualize this and can't. Just never had something like that happen. Hope you'll post up the outcome. Good luck with it.

meanmrmustard
July 22, 2012, 10:16 PM
Dang! I was reading along and hoping for VICTORY!!! Ya did win a battle though, so keep at it! Regardless of how the rifling might look when you're done, as long as it's safe - try it out. It might still shoot fine.

Trying to visualize this and can't. Just never had something like that happen. Hope you'll post up the outcome. Good luck with it.
Won a battle, now to win the war!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 22, 2012, 10:25 PM
Well I went with bigger and better "guns," AFAIK. Last I knew, there was a better concentration of ammonia in Windex than there is in Hoppe's #9, so I decided to let it sit in Windex for a while.

I can see into the bore, there looks to be a brass ring around the brush, which seems to be preventing travel in either direction.

~On The Road Again...~

kestak
July 22, 2012, 10:43 PM
Been there done that.
Get a full brass rod. Not the cheap one with a hole in it that are like a pipe. Make sure the rod fit in your 22 barell. Buy the right size.
Put kroil oil and let it sit for a couple days.
Remove the muzzle brake
Put the rod in the barell and cut it 1 inch and half longer. When you will whack it, it won't bend
Remove the barell from receiver
Put a metal washer at the end of the barell and tape it. It will protect your crown
Put barell on ground chamber first, put the rod in it and whack it with a normal hammer.
If the rod gets all in the barell, extract it, cut another piece 1 inch and half and whack again. But I don't think you will need to do that.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
Got it soaking in ammonia now, rods are solid brass, minus threaded areas, which I've taken to cutting off. I can not, however, get the remaining rod to budge, hence another chemical soak. Will try hammering again tomorrow.

~On The Road Again...~

kestak
July 22, 2012, 11:00 PM
Read my instructions carefully it will work with minimum damage. At worse, you will ned a new barell and will not damage your receiver. Hammering can break your aluminium receiver.

Your problem is the same than a bullet lodged in a barell.

R.W.Dale
July 22, 2012, 11:04 PM
I learned a long time ago as you just discovered that if a task foils my efforts to resolve and doesn't require urgent action THE BEST THING I CAN DO TO ENSURE SUCCESS is to put it aside and leave it until I can come back with a cool calm unfrustrated mind. Nine times in ten I'll accomplish what I set out to do right off the bat on that second try

R.W.Dale
July 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
Read my instructions carefully it will work with minimum damage. At worse, you will ned a new barell and will not damage your receiver. Hammering can break your aluminium receiver

Plastic reciever

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
I'm doing what I can afford to do right now, funds are extremely limited because I am trying to get my license back. I can't afford to buy the tools I need to do any of this so I'm doing this the only other way I have. If I don't get it out by the time I get my license back, I'm going to let Smith & Wesson deal with it. Then I'll have a new barrel. Either way.

I did read your instructions, but I have not the means to do any of them.

~On The Road Again...~

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 23, 2012, 11:22 PM
Replacing the whole upper.

~On The Road Again...~

meanmrmustard
July 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
Replacing the whole upper.

~On The Road Again...~
Ewww...that bad?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
Upper cracked. All that beating and nothing. A simple fall, cracked. Modern gun "technology" is just a joke. This is the reason I prefer wood-and-steel hardware. I'll post a pic in a minute, I had it hanging barrel-up from my ammo cabinet and it fell, cracked the rear of the upper.

~On The Road Again...~

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
First two pics are the crack, the last is how it was hanging.

~On The Road Again...~

rcmodel
July 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
A fall from your ammo cabinet would just as likely have broken a wood stock.

It seems to me you are really having a lot of unnecessary trouble with this.

Through no fault of the rifle, or what it is made from.

rc

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
Well, I can either repair, replace, or make a whole new one from wood. Plastic, not so much.

Certaindeaf
July 23, 2012, 11:39 PM
Did the rod fall out? Sometimes the bright side is black (humor).

rcmodel
July 23, 2012, 11:40 PM
Well you probably could have made a 100% fail-proof hanger wire out of a cloths hanger too.

But you didn't.

rc

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 23, 2012, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't have been so mad if it did, Deaf, lol.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 23, 2012, 11:41 PM
RC, yeah I do regret not making some sort of pin to lock the rifle on it. Oh well. Live and learn. I'll probably send it off, have it fixed, and put it up for sale or trade. I'd rather have an AK.

Certaindeaf
July 23, 2012, 11:42 PM
Well, it's been worth many a chuckle.. knock on wood and all that.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 23, 2012, 11:44 PM
Laughter, anger, confusion... Ha. Just isn't worth it to me anymore. I'll get it fixed, but it'll probably be hitting the trading post here when it's fixed, unless I can get a deal here locally.

meanmrmustard
July 23, 2012, 11:50 PM
RC, yeah I do regret not making some sort of pin to lock the rifle on it. Oh well. Live and learn. I'll probably send it off, have it fixed, and put it up for sale or trade. I'd rather have an AK.
AKs. I've a weakness when I hear of that rifle.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 23, 2012, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I'd much rather have one. I'll get this fixed, and put it up for trade and sweeten the deal a little with cash. I want an AK-74 dammit. LOL.

JoelSteinbach
July 24, 2012, 12:24 AM
Try a quialified gun smith

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 24, 2012, 12:32 AM
That's where Smith & Wesson come in, gotta have the upper replaced now, so just gonna have them replace the whole upper assembly.

~On The Road Again...~

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
December 18, 2012, 09:51 PM
Just thought I'd give you guys a little bit of an update.

Rod is still stuck, but I did get the one I got stuck in there trying to get the first one out. Not sure if I told y'all I got the second one out, but there's only the first rod and the brush stuck in there.

Couple days ago me and a buddy made a barrel nut wrench, and we removed the barrel and tried running it through a 12 ton press using some mild-steel 3/16" rod. Sadly, the rod bent before it pushed the brush anywhere. So, I'm at a loss.

We put the gun back together so I could send it off to S&W, set it on his work bench to take a break when his girlfriend came home and backed their truck into their garage. Well, she backed up too far and knocked the upper off the work bench, and I don't know how, but it ended up snapping the forearm rails away from the receiver.

I tried calling S&W to see if they'd send me a replacement upper, but it was a no-go. They said they wouldn't do it at all, and now I'm pissed, because the only part of this rifle that works is the lower, and ever-so-thoughtful S&W made it so no other upper or lower can work with their M&P15-22 series rifles.

So, I'm sitting on my hands, not a thing I can do. Thankfully, I didn't spend a lot of money at all. But they will NOT be getting my business in the future.

NeuseRvrRat
December 18, 2012, 09:57 PM
rofl

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
December 18, 2012, 11:19 PM
My thoughts exactly. This gun was a bad omen from the start.

TurtlePhish
December 18, 2012, 11:28 PM
Damn, how is that rod/brush jammed in there that tight? If a 12-ton press couldn't get it out, there are some kind of supernatural powers at work here. :scrutiny:

JonathanE
December 18, 2012, 11:29 PM
Can you drive a wooden stake through it and bury it in the yard with a clove of garlic?
I think Someone is telling you not to fire that rifle.

BullfrogKen
December 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
I'm not going to go all the way back through this 160+ page thread, but I've been following it since the summer . . .

Pardon me, but didn't Smith & Wesson offer to replace your upper, all they required was that you send it to them?

Hard to blame S&W for something you did wrong. If that polymer upper dropped hard enough to crack it, it would have bent a metal one. And I'm not even going to go into the frantics you went into trying to dislodge your stuck rod. I can't imagine how you managed to do that, but some patience might have been helpful trying to fix it. I have to wonder if the things you attempted didn't make the situation worse.

Anyway, I can't blame that on S&W. You can if you want, and you have a right to that opinion. I have the exact rifle you do and I love it. I've used it to train dozens of brand new shooters, most of them women. They loved it, too.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
December 18, 2012, 11:47 PM
Pardon me, but didn't Smith & Wesson offer to replace your upper, all they required was that you send it to them?

They did when I talked to them first. I called back earlier this week and they said that I couldn't buy an upper from them at all. Even a replacement if I sent the upper I have in. Guy said his boss told him no. I'm thinking about calling again and speaking to a manager.

I loved the rifle when I was able to shoot it, I was able to shoot it the very day I brought it home, granted it was before the rod got stuck. I will clarify that it was not of my actions that got the brush stuck in there in the first place, but one of my buddies who, since then, hasn't been allowed to clean anything of mine. He's just sent to pick up brass and trash.

I'm not really blaming them, per se, but what I am irritated about is the fact that I'm offering to pay for a new upper for a replacement for the one that is ruined now. What's really bothering me is the fact that I now have half a firearm and no foreseeable way to get it in running condition anymore.

Fremmer
December 19, 2012, 12:33 AM
Goodness, that rifles been dropped, hit by a truck, and plugged up something fierce!
A careful owner, are you? Lol. The truck part was my favorite.
Please, you gotta let us know what happens next...

d2wing
December 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
As you may know by now, never ever reverse direction of a brush in the bore. If the brush is stuck and mild impacts don't dislodge it you should consider destroying the brush. If solvents don't work you can make a tool from mild steel tubing to try to twist the brush. If it is close to one end of the barrel you can try a needle nose pliers. You can also make teeth on one end of the same tubing and use it as a hole saw to destroy the bristles. Just a thought. Being a little gonzo myself, I have learned to know my limits save myself grief and destruction of what I'm trying to fix and call on someone with know how and tools. You should have followed S&W advise and offer. Instead you pissed them off. Lessons we all learn sooner or later. It is just part of life to do things the hard way.

powell&hyde
December 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
Good lord LJ, been folowing this since July and it seems like the rifle had an Omen. LOL

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
December 19, 2012, 11:09 PM
Goodness, that rifles been dropped, hit by a truck, and plugged up something fierce!
A careful owner, are you? Lol. The truck part was my favorite.
Please, you gotta let us know what happens next...

Well, I don't know what's going to happen next, but a careful owner I am, everything else is well taken care of. I've tried everything to get this damned brush out, and the worst damage done to it was stuff that happened that I couldn't really control.

You should have followed S&W advise and offer.

I fail to see where I pissed them off. All I asked was if I could send the rifle in there and buy a replacement upper.

Good lord LJ, been folowing this since July and it seems like the rifle had an Omen. LOL

Man, I tell ya, someone above doesn't want me to shoot it at all.

d2wing
December 20, 2012, 11:52 AM
All this and none of it was your fault and you don't see where you aggravated S&W.
This is pretty amazing reading. I'm entertained. Please keep us posted.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
December 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
All this and none of it was your fault and you don't see where you aggravated S&W

As far as getting the first rod stuck, no. I didn't cause it. I tried to stop my buddy from pulling back out, but I couldn't get the word out fast enough.

Sure, some things I couldn't help, some things I could have. I've only called S&W twice. I still fail to see where I aggravated them.

d2wing
December 21, 2012, 11:53 PM
Sorry to be hard on you, stuff happens. It does sound like stuff I have done.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
December 23, 2012, 10:42 AM
No worries.

Fremmer
December 23, 2012, 11:20 AM
Yeah LJ, I was just amazed at what you've been through with that gun, and I said the careful owner part as sarcasm and not as a slam, but it really didn't come accross right if you know what I mean.

The truck part is still the best part. I'll bet she was horrified at what happened, and you were probably like, don't worry, when a random plane falls from the sky and smashes into the rifle, that'll be the next event....lol

aka108
December 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
That rod has been stuck in the bbl since July? I think I might have taken it to a good gunsmith a long time ago.

kestak
December 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
I am still astonished the rod is stuck. There are ways to pull it out of there. Gosh, there are ways that I could pull the barrel and extend it like a rubber band with an hydrolic lift.

Have you thought to use hydrolic claws and use a 20 tons lift to pull/push the rod out? Yesterday I was at my friend gunsmith. He used his home-made hydrolic press to remove a stuck pin from a gun. He tried before with a punch and hammer and it would not move. With the press, it went as easy as a suppository in what you know. He made that apparatus the day a ditwit came to his shop with a 50 cal bullet stuck in his barrel to push it out.

Seriously, we put men on the moon. Removing a rod from a barrel (that is softer than the barrel itself) is not rocket science.

Oh! BTW, with the gun craze right now, I am sure you could sell that to a ditwit for a few boxes...Everything related to A-S-S-A-U-L-T R-I-F-L-E-S sells like hot buns.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
March 26, 2013, 11:45 PM
Update:

I got tired of looking at it, so I sold it. Buddy ended up getting it out and shoots fine. Just sold it for what I paid for it. Chalk it up to a bad lesson in letting the inexperienced try cleaning without being shown right.

~On The Road Again...~

TurtlePhish
March 27, 2013, 01:23 PM
How did he get it out?

Certaindeaf
March 27, 2013, 02:12 PM
I think a certain strain of bole weevils would do the trick.

rainbowbob
March 27, 2013, 04:11 PM
Wait-a-minute...after all this, you gave it to a buddy and he got the brush and rod out?

So...are you going to tell us how he accomplished what a 12-ton press couldn't?

C'mon!

Certaindeaf
March 27, 2013, 04:27 PM
Perhaps OP is tremendously unskilled. at least it worked out alright

stonecutter2
March 27, 2013, 05:43 PM
What a crazy story.

I would have bought some thin diameter wooden dowel rods that fit in a 22LR barrel. Cut short pieces and start hammering. Eventually the dowels would push out the rod.

I had something similar happen to a K98. Got a brush stuck in good. It was one of my first cleanings for it. The problem was like what happened here - I pushed the rod/brush in, which was brand new. I almost got to the chamber but didn't want to damage anything, so I tried to tug backwards before the brush could get in the chamber. Result was that the very tips of the brush bristles (I think) stood up "on end" or at least got "bent up" in the barrel of grime, which then made it difficult to move either in or out of the barrel.

Luckily, my rod was still extending out of the muzzle (but not too far), and I resorted to simply giving nice even pressure until it got through (stood the rifle muzzle down on carpet). Then I unscrewed the brush and pulled out the rod.

earlthegoat2
March 27, 2013, 06:51 PM
I can understand that stuff happens but.....

Dropping a MN rifle and bending up the front sight hood
Some not too smart driving decisions
I seem to remember a ND a bit back too

This is all from the same guy.

Oh yeah, he also bought a gun with a cleaning rod stuck in it that he then was unable to remove

NeuseRvrRat
March 27, 2013, 07:14 PM
very impressive portfolio of mosin stock designs in MSpaint

Derry 1946
March 27, 2013, 08:09 PM
Well, LJ, you were certainly a sport to keep us posted. One irony is that the thread was labeled urgent, but the saga went on for the better part of a year. Did you ever learn how the buyer got the rod out? Sounds like it all worked out in the end, no pun intended, and I hope your hand healed well.

Regards,
Derry

NeuseRvrRat
March 27, 2013, 08:42 PM
this thread is better when you listen to this while reading it: http://youtu.be/MK6TXMsvgQg

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 1, 2013, 10:30 PM
Well, they used the press again, only they used a propane torch to melt the magnesium and lead deposits that the brush got stuck on. Would've figured a press would have done it without, but I guess heat was the magic touch.

They heated the barrel and then pressed it out, so props to them

rcmodel
April 1, 2013, 10:32 PM
melt the magnesiumMagnesium??

This is getting weirder & weirder as we go along!!

Was it like you shot magnesium flairs through it or something that caused the patch to stick??

rc

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 1, 2013, 10:34 PM
I can understand that stuff happens but.....

Dropping a MN rifle and bending up the front sight hood
Some not too smart driving decisions
I seem to remember a ND a bit back too

This is all from the same guy.

Oh yeah, he also bought a gun with a cleaning rod stuck in it that he then was unable to remove

I'm not gonna say I've made the smartest decisions throughout, but at least I learn from them.

~On The Road Again...~

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 1, 2013, 10:35 PM
Magnesium??

This is getting weirder & weirder as we go along!!

Was it like you shot magnesium flairs through it or something that caused the patch to stick??

rc

Well the guy I got it from bought a bunch of tracers and shot them through it without cleaning the gun at all. That's the only thing I can think of, other than the lead build-up

~On The Road Again...~

Gunnerboy
April 2, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hahahahaha i love following this post.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
T'was quite the fiasco, that's for sure.

~On The Road Again...~

Beentown
April 2, 2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the giggle. The BH theme song put me over the top.

JoelSteinbach
April 2, 2013, 11:19 PM
It made for some fun reading

radar1972
April 3, 2013, 01:08 AM
I just read this ENTIRE thread... and I can't remember when I've had so many belly laughs!!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 3, 2013, 08:19 PM
I look back at it all now and can laugh. Lol

~On The Road Again...~

mike28w
April 3, 2013, 11:56 PM
Actually, on a more serious note..... I want to thank the OP and all of the other responders...... I learned about a bunch of different ways to try to fix this problem..... It never hurts to have these options. I'd never say that it couldn't happen to me.

Very educational....thanks, mike

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 5, 2013, 11:11 AM
I should have made a feature-length movie about this, and call it "What Not To Do With Your Stuck Rod"

~On The Road Again...~

Bentley4700
April 5, 2013, 11:22 AM
I should have made a feature-length movie about this, and call it "What Not To Do With Your Stuck Rod"

~On The Road Again...~
That might not be a family friendly film.... ;)

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 6, 2013, 03:36 PM
Lol that is true

~On The Road Again...~

Hornet 6
April 7, 2013, 10:00 PM
I'm just amazed that nobody suggested a slide hammer to "pull" the stuck rod out :banghead:
That would have been my first line of attack.

Neil. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Urgent: Cleaning Rod Stuck in Bore." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!