Is there a time limit on logged in time?

PDA

Freedomv
February 22, 2004, 08:46 AM
I have logged on many times and when posting a reply get the message that I am not logged on when I try to submit the reply. What gives? Is it a time frame setting in my computor? A limit of non activety in THR system? It may take me a few minutes to type up a reply to post but I would think that I should still be logged on.
Thanks for any info you can give me on what I am doing wrong.
Vern

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a time limit on logged in time?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
February 22, 2004, 09:29 AM
Vern,

What's happening is that the software logs you out after a certain amount of time (dunno what it's set for, but I agree that it is a bit short). The time limit is there so that the site doesn't keep you actively on the log if you shut your system down and go away.

I think you can avoid this by going to your user control panel, following the link from there that says "edit options," and selecting yes where it asks if you want to automatically login when you return to the site. I think that would side-step this whole issue.

If that doesn't work, or if you don't want to set it to auto-login, you could get in the habit of composing your posts on a Notepad and then copying and pasting them to a fresh reply screen when you are ready. That way, if it turns out you are logged out when you hit the 'submit' button, at least you won't have lost your post.

Or you could open up another window in your browser, and while composing in one window, periodically hit 'refresh' in the other so the software realizes you're still active.

HTH

pax

Mal H
February 22, 2004, 11:54 AM
I believe the explanation given by pax is correct. You are being timed out by what vBulletin calls "Cookie timeout". It is currently set to 15 minutes. We tried longer time periods, but that added some weird and undesirable effects.

I have "Automatically login" set to yes. The effect I see when I stay inactive past the timeout is that all forums are marked as read, not a big deal since you can still use the timestamps to figure out what you haven't read recently, but I'm not logged out. Like pax said, set your's on and it should fix the problem bearing in mind that "Browse with cookies" must also be set to yes.

Freedomv
February 22, 2004, 03:28 PM
Thank you so much, I'll attend to this right away.
Vern

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a time limit on logged in time?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!