Where to retire?

PDA

A.Rifleman
July 4, 2012, 10:05 AM
We are looking for a warmer climate than here in Connecticut during the winter. We also have a place in VT that I would sell first.

I enjoy shooting, hunting and gun shops however at my age I seem to ride around in the car more than walk in the field.

My wife enjoys restaurants so we need to live near some. We live in a suburban town now that's quiet and calm.

Here is our street in CT in the winter. The place in VT has more snow and it's colder.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6158/1000077f.jpg

I don't mind driving now.

How would you find a place?
Where would you go?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to retire?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JerZsquid
July 4, 2012, 10:10 AM
I recently moved to East TN an it is beautiful. For cities there are Knoxville, Greenville, Cleveland, Johnson city, and morristown. I live closer to Knoxville.

Housing and land prices are pretty great compared to up north. Winters are mild and summers aren't too bad (we did hit 105 this past weekend though).

There aren't as many gun shops or ranges around here as I thought there would be but I think that's probably due to so many people owning land or knowing someone that does.

Sam1911
July 4, 2012, 10:20 AM
Hate to say, but you've not really narrowed this down much! :)

There are lots of places warmer than CT, with great gun shops and fantastic restaurants -- and far better gun laws than CT.

How far are you willing to move? How much warmer is OK? The deep south is warmer (and generally gun-friendlier) but if you aren't used to the summers you might regret your decision to move.

Are you willing to head west? The southwest and portions of the southern Rocky Mountain states largely have warmer climates, and will be a lot less humid than the deep southeast, but the whole culture is very different than the dense northeast.

The pacific NW has some really good gun culture, and milder weather usually, but how much rain do you like?

Some idea of where you'd be comfortable living will get you a lot better responses.

Ultimately, we need to stick to gun laws, shooting, and RKBA -- and those are the EASY questions! :)

GMAN26
July 4, 2012, 10:29 AM
PM sent!

Robert
July 4, 2012, 10:32 AM
Want warmer and drier come to the Front Range of Colorado. Here in Colorado Springs the winters are not too bad, nothing like the picture above. Though it is windy here. That being said Colorado is one of, if not the best sportsman's states in the country. Like to fish? We have you covered. Like to bird hunt? We have that too. Want to hunt big game like Elk or Mule Deer? Oh brother do we have you covered there. Come to Colorful Colorado and retire in the splendor of the Rocky Mountains.

Man I need to send that to the travel board...

jmr40
July 4, 2012, 10:40 AM
East TN, Western NC, and N Ga are pretty nice. I live in N. Ga but visit and have family all over the area JerZsquid described. You get some winter and snow, but not like in the NE. Most of the winters are mild. Summers can be pretty hot in July- mid Sept, but things are pretty mild the rest of the year.

I don't know as much about TN hunting, but Ga has it pretty good. Squirrel season runs from Aug 15-Feb 28 with most other small game picking up in November- Feb. Deer archery is Mid Sept-Mid October when rifle season begins and runs through Jan 1 in the northern half of the state and Jan 15 in the south with a 12 deer limit. Waterfowl overlaps and turkey season runs mid March through mid May. June and July are the only 2 months where there is nothing to hunt. Feral hogs and coyote are still an option year round on private property.

GA also has plenty of public land for hunting. I can walk into the woods and walk on trails 35-40 miles in several places and not cross a road while hunting.

k-frame
July 4, 2012, 11:00 AM
And Georgia is a gun-friendly state; we scored 8 on the 100-point Brady scale.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/

Tommygunn
July 4, 2012, 11:24 AM
A.Rifleman, that's a beautiful picture. I used to live in Ct. and I have living memory of snow that deep -- when it WASN'T piled up by a snowplow.
May I ask where in Ct. it is?
I lived in Westport Ct. from @1960-1981 and West Redding after that until 1994. I now live in Alabama and right now we're experiencing a unusual heat wave and it's gets up to about 105F during the afternoon hours. That is HOT! Even for a 'Bama August.:fire:
We have a couple good places to shoot here and some real good gun laws, atleast compared to what I remember of Connecticut, which IIRC still has its own assault weapon law on the books.
Not trying to twist your arm or anything ...but we would welcome you down here in Dixie.

FROGO207
July 4, 2012, 11:27 AM
I would be looking for anyplace that scores 0 on the Brady list if I had the need to move again.:D Seriously ANYWHERE you would move will have positives and negatives about it. Just keep the RKBA on the positive side and you will never loose. FWIW the cooler climates keep the transient population away when it gets tough going and a lot of the crime with it or so it seems. FWIW if you were passed out drunk in an alleyway around here in the cooler months with a coat made out of $100 bills the locals would say " he's a light weight he had to stop partying before he ran out of money" and then help you to a coffee shop to sober up and buy you a coffee. No large amount robberies around here like down south has on the news all the time.

bikerdoc
July 4, 2012, 11:34 AM
For a gun friendly, shall issue state = Virginia

Only one I can comment on since I moved here from mass.

I am in southern Viginia, (NC line) near the coast, go further inland you got hills and woods.

No snow to speak of, but the hurricanes can be a pain.

redneck2
July 4, 2012, 11:38 AM
Seriously, you might look into an area that's been really hard hit by the economy. Housing would be the cheapest.

One of my friends was looking at a new home in SW Florida. New, never lived in. Four BR, in ground pool, four baths. Originally asking $329,000. He could get it for $140,000.

Las Vegas would be another, if you like hot weather.

Me, I'd probably end up not too far from the four corners area. Not way hot in the summer and not super cold in the winter. New Mexico mountains maybe. If I were 21 starting over, that's where I'd be.

Skribs
July 4, 2012, 11:38 AM
If you're not looking for much warmer, come to western washington. We don't usually get much snow, but it's a very temperate climate here. We are notorious for rain, but actually have more days of sun than anywhere else in the US. The nice thing is that the climate doesn't change much from season to season. You may get a little snow for a few days in the winter, and a week of 80+ weather in the summer, but its very mild. I know a lot of military folk who've been to Fort Lewis (now Joint Base Lewis-McChord) will retire here because they like the climate, and the evergreens are a pleasant sight.

I'm not sure where we are on the brady scale, but I've not had many problems in WA. Open carry legal without permit, concealed carry legal with permit. CWP means you have no waiting period (just 15 minutes) to buy a firearm. No restrictions on magazine capacity like in some other states.

I can't speak to restaraunts, as I'm more a fast food kind of guy (bachelor), but overall I love western washington, and try to leave it as little as humanly possible.

MedWheeler
July 4, 2012, 11:43 AM
Just do like so many others and come to Florida. If you're not out in the field as much anymore, it doesn't sound like wide-open range lands are crucial, but you can still find them inland. In fact, if you don't want to keep running into other New-England retirees, stay inland in the medium-sized towns away from Orlando. Where I live, Okeechobee and Arcadia come to mind. Good healthcare should also be in mind, and we do have it here due to the large populations of both those who need it, and those who are making their livings on that need (upcoming effects of Obamacare notwithstanding.) Hurricanes are annoying, but no more so than a typical Nor'easter you've certainly faced before.

The Brady scale doesn't look on us here with much favor, either, and that's a good thing. Florida is a "shall-issue" CC state. We have lawful OC when involved in hunting/fishing, but general OC is still not permitted. Carry permits are issued by the state, and cost a little over a hundred bucks the first time around. Renewals cost about $65, and come around every seven years. Though OC is still not legal (except under the conditions I mentioned), the "brief" display of a normally-concealed firearm, such as (but not restricted to) when a shirt or coat rides up some, or such as "printing", are not prohibited.

Without a permit, loaded handguns can be carried in a vehicle, as long as they are not on the person, and require a lid or door to be opened to gain access. Gloveboxes, center consoles with lids, and even closed shoe or pizza boxes meet this requirement. Loaded long guns can be carried anywhere in the vehicle, though, if concealed (such as behind a pickup bench seat), they can not also be on the person. With a carry license, though, these vehicle restrictions go away.
Cities, counties, and other local governing bodies are not permitted to pass ordinances more stringent than the restrictions imposed by state law. The officials of those who try can be held personally responsible and subject to fines. The one exception to this is that they may impose up to a three day waiting period on handgun purchases by persons not holding a carry license. In my section of the state, Palm Beach County (which tries to be the "New Jersey" of the peninsula) is the only one to do so. I don't live there anymore, having left in 1991.

Good luck. See you soon..

captain awesome
July 4, 2012, 11:46 AM
I now live in Alabama and right now we're experiencing a unusual heat wave and it's gets up to about 105F during the afternoon hours. That is HOT! Even for a 'Bama August.

Your having a heat wave?! We're having a cold front! yesterday it only got up to 105, and Its down to 85 degrees right now in Mesa AZ! Why the heck am I inside on the computer?

You could come here, in the mountains it's pleasant in AZ in the summer, winters are pretty mild. Gun laws don't get better than ours. It does get scorching hot in the phoenix area though.

Tommygunn
July 4, 2012, 11:53 AM
I now live in Alabama and right now we're experiencing a unusual heat wave and it's gets up to about 105F during the afternoon hours. That is HOT! Even for a 'Bama August.

Your having a heat wave?! We're having a cold front! yesterday it only got up to 105, and Its down to 85 degrees right now in Mesa AZ! Why the heck am I inside on the computer?:neener:

"To each his own..." :evil::rolleyes:;)

A.Rifleman
July 4, 2012, 12:29 PM
We talked it over and want to drive down south this winter and stay at some place and look the areas over.

We would like a water view but know that costs more. On the other hand we don't need to buy some place but maybe just rent.

If we found a place we liked for the winter then I might sell the camp in VT. The hunting up there is not nearly what it was long ago. No deer there now and even no woodchucks.

I used to ski but am too old for that now.

Perfesser
July 4, 2012, 12:44 PM
At least look at Arkansas. I retired here (laid off, actually) 10 years ago and I wouldn't go back to the big city for ANY reason. It isn't redneck as much as it is country life. To me it feels like the 50's and early 60's when I was a teen. Lots of open land in the west part of the state and even the big cities aren't that big. Medical care is excellent.
Population of the whole state is around 3 million (less than DFW metro area where I moved from). Hunting and fishing is good, and a CCW permit from another state (unless they changed this) can be exchanged for an AR CHL as soon as you have a permanent address and an AR driver's license.

EddieNFL
July 4, 2012, 01:00 PM
I would be looking for anyplace that scores 0 on the Brady list if I had the need to move again.

As the OP is looking to leave the cold behind that leaves AZ.

I'm not sure where we are on the brady scale, but I've not had many problems in WA.

Tied with OR and CO for 15th.

GRIZ22
July 4, 2012, 01:12 PM
Once you've settled on a location I suggest maybe getting furnished apartment and try staying there for 6 months before you pull all your roots out. That could change your opinion of the place.

There are plenty of things that suck where I live but here's where my family and friends are.

jdownj
July 4, 2012, 01:50 PM
NW Florida... I love this place...

murf
July 4, 2012, 02:07 PM
prescott, arizona. lots of gun shops!

murf

Trunk Monkey
July 4, 2012, 02:28 PM
Colorado

(What else do I need to say?)

THe Dove
July 4, 2012, 02:47 PM
Go to texas.

The Dove

Onward Allusion
July 4, 2012, 02:56 PM
Add weather that is getting weirder, the need for water, and decent RKBA - Northern Wisconsin or Minnesota looks pretty good.

July 4, 2012, 03:02 PM
I'll second MedWheeler. I still live here (Jacksonville). Just a short trip up A1A is Fernandina Beach (http://www.fbfl.us/). Awesome retirement area. We scored a 3 w/ the Brady thing! Not knowing what your budget is doesn't really change things, but if you're selling two houses, you should be able to find the perfect place! Not sure how you feel about golf but there's plenty of it.

Also, in my line of work I deal w/ many realtors. I'd be happy to pm/email you a couple of my favorites' names & numbers!

I'm not a hunter, but I have several friends that are. Plenty of places - and South GA is maybe an hour away.

Permits are easy enough to get. Plenty of indoor ranges around and many clubs not too far away. Also, I know a few guys who like to make some casual noise most Thursdays.

dullone
July 4, 2012, 03:07 PM
prescott, arizona. lots of gun shops!

murf

Geeez, now everyone knows!

We kinda like it here too.

browningguy
July 4, 2012, 04:08 PM
For retirees Texas was just rated #1 based on cost of living and retiree taxes in a report I saw from AARP. But it's really "warm" here in the summer. Onvce you reach 65 you no longer have to pay school district property taxes, which are one of our larget, and of course no personal property or income tax.

Milamber
July 4, 2012, 04:37 PM
Georgia has its issues but its pretty gun friendly. Just stay above the gnat line. The heat is one thing but gnats are another. Mind you I am from England so even California is free and easy compared to the UK. Question is really you looking rural or city?

JohnBiltz
July 4, 2012, 07:23 PM
I've lived in the west, midwest and south. Nothing beats the west. The midwest is pretty close to where you live now. Hard winters for about 3 months of the year and nice weather the other 9. I think the south is the worst weather in the US. Brutally hot and humid in the summer and a wet cold in the winter that cuts through you no matter what you are wearing. The west is sunny and dry. I lived in the front range in Wyoming and loved it despite the fact it snowed from October to June. The dryness and sun made it alright. You still get out and around in the winter. I think Las Vegas is the best place I've lived. About 20 nights of frost in the winter but its nice during the day and pretty hot in the summer but the nights are not bad. Plenty of things to do even if you don't gamble and I didn't. One thing I liked about Vegas was its probably the least judgmental place in the country.

tarosean
July 4, 2012, 07:28 PM
For retirees Texas was just rated #1 based on cost of living and retiree taxes in a report I saw from AARP. But it's really "warm" here in the summer. Onvce you reach 65 you no longer have to pay school district property taxes, which are one of our larget, and of course no personal property or income tax.

Plus Houston has some of the best restaurants in the country.

medalguy
July 4, 2012, 07:34 PM
I saw a study done lasty week by MSN and they rated Albuquerque as one of the top 10 places to retire. Affordable housing, excellent climate, low taxes, gun friemdly, plenty of fishing and hunting, lots of BLM land to shoot on, what's not to like? Depending on which part of the state it can get pretty cold in winter but with very low humidity you don't feel the cold. Likewise the heat isn't nearly as bad with no humidity. Today it's about 94 but out of the sun it's very comfortable.

Winters are generally mild. I live in the mountains west of Santa Fe, and while we do get some snow in winter, it's usually gone (read evaporated) in a day. Here's a picture from my place.

oneounceload
July 4, 2012, 07:36 PM
no snow=florida

groundsclown
July 4, 2012, 07:39 PM
Like Robert said back up on post #5...Colorado.

I spent 9 of the best years of my life in the Glenwood Springs area. Though there are MANY small towns to choose from but still close to urban activities.
Elk, mule deer, trout fishing the colorado river, whistle pigs, aspen trees during fall, big horn sheep in the glenwood canyon, rafting the colorado and on and on and....

Now I'm stuck in west central florida & pray for the day I can return ($ dependent)
(and Robert, I'm sure you do but I'll say it anyways. Enjoy, take advantage & be grateful what ya got there...minus the fires)

Want warmer and drier come to the Front Range of Colorado. Here in Colorado Springs the winters are not too bad, nothing like the picture above. Though it is windy here. That being said Colorado is one of, if not the best sportsman's states in the country. Like to fish? We have you covered. Like to bird hunt? We have that too. Want to hunt big game like Elk or Mule Deer? Oh brother do we have you covered there. Come to Colorful Colorado and retire in the splendor of the Rocky Mountains.

Man I need to send that to the travel board...

oneounceload
July 4, 2012, 07:46 PM
Except Glenwood went through a major fire not lone ago - I used to live in Rifle, nice trout and OK deer/elk but if you want to avoid nasty winter weather you have Vegas (HIGH crime and gun registration), or you have Florida - you can keep Phoenix and Tucson with their illegal immigration issues

postalnut25
July 4, 2012, 08:06 PM
^^^^^

That fire was ten years ago. I just went up to Glenwood for a long weekend with the wife, and it's still nice. There are still many beautiful areas in the state.

The only thing you have to watch out for is Boulder, central Denver, and Highlands Ranch. The rest of the state is full of normal people.

oneounceload
July 4, 2012, 09:02 PM
We had a fire come through northern NV 30 years ago, it is still a scrub wasteland, trees don't grow fast in dry high mountains - it's beautiful country until something like that happens

BBQLS1
July 4, 2012, 09:06 PM
South Louisiana has two temperatures: very warm, and very hot. :D

rcmodel
July 4, 2012, 09:12 PM
I don't know where.

But I would for sure trade you some of that snow right now for the hot dry weather we are having in Kansas the last two years..

I can take cold.
I get cold in the winter, I put more clothes on.
Still cold, I go inside and watch TV.

When its 100+ and high humidity, there is nothing you can do except be miserable all summer and try to pay the A/C bills.

rc

Gordon
July 4, 2012, 09:18 PM
Prescot Az, 4000 ft elevation = not to hot and the most gun friendly place on the planet!

HankB
July 4, 2012, 09:28 PM
. . . . Texas . . . Once you reach 65 you no longer have to pay school district property taxes, . . . Incorrect. Senior citizens can have the school portion of their property taxes frozen, which means they won't be hit with future increases. But they still pay.

The way I see it, if moving to retire, the things I would look at are:

1. No state income tax.
2. Gun friendly.
3. Warm climate.
4. Low local crime rate.
5. Good medical care available.

You could do a lot worse than central Texas . . . the only real downers are the limited number of good local shooting ranges and very little public land hunting.

Keb
July 4, 2012, 09:39 PM
Look at Western Colorado. Out of the traffic, tornados, and crackerbox all jammed together subdivisions of the I25 area. Less crime and more gun friendly.

THe Dove
July 4, 2012, 09:45 PM
Go to texas! It's like a whole other country..... That's what they advertise. That's what they say..... Go there and I bet you won't have a pic of your front yard and mailbox like the one you posted to get this thread started. Go to texas.

The Dove

MedWheeler
July 4, 2012, 10:06 PM
I saw a study done lasty week by MSN and they rated Albuquerque as one of the top 10 places to retire. Affordable housing, excellent climate, low taxes, gun friendly, plenty of fishing and hunting, lots of BLM land to shoot on, what's not to like? Depending on which part of the state it can get pretty cold in winter but with very low humidity you don't feel the cold. Likewise the heat isn't nearly as bad with no humidity. Today it's about 94 but out of the sun it's very comfortable.

I like NM a lot, but I don't know that, as a 2A supporter, I could give much credence to anything MSN says (I doubt they mentioned "gun friendly".) ABQ itself is getting to be a rough city; ABQ's mayor even asked the producers of "Cops" out of town because he felt their show made the city look bad, but the towns out to the east can be quite nice and picturesque. Towns like Edgewood and Moriarty, along the old Route 66 (now highway 333.) Well south of there, in the Estancia Valley, are several more nice little towns, but you do get far from decent healthcare and some of that area is getting to be drug country, such as around Mountainair. Santa Fe was pretty nice when I was out there. But, you gotta like the color brown. Everything is brown most of the year.
I love NM, but I'll stay here in Florida.

MachIVshooter
July 4, 2012, 10:17 PM

That just about sums it up. There is a reason this is one of the most desired locations for outdoor enthusiasts, both hunters and the folks who do all the other recreational stuff.

We get a few bitter cold days, and it can get over 100* F in the dead of summer (it's been a hot one this year), but most of the time the climate is very conducive to outdoor activities. It is dry, though, so if you have health issues that are exascerbated by dry climates, that could be a problem. The upside to the dry is that guns don't rust and 30 year old cars are usually still in pretty good shape, corrosion-wise.

I live on the Eastern Plains about 40 miles from Denver. It's very rural, but close enough to the Metro area that there are very few things I can't get with a couple hours of drive time. Outside of Denver City & County, there is preemption, and we are only governed by Federal firearms laws, with the sole exception of the stupid gunshow loophole bit that passed in the wake of Columbine.

I know I'll probably never leave this state :D

rcmodel
July 4, 2012, 10:19 PM
Seemed a little too hot just NW of Colorado Springs lately!

I used to live near there, and am sure glad I didn't last week when the mountain burnt down.

rc

tn hp
July 4, 2012, 10:23 PM
The Great State of Tennessee! Need I say more? No, I think not!

X-Rap
July 4, 2012, 10:28 PM
I have lived in northern MN, NW IA, all over NM, same of AZ, UT, WY, S CA and have settled in western CO.
The only place off my list is CA, the rest all have something to offer that the rest don't. If I had my choice and lots of money I would winter out west at 5-6000' and split fall between IA and the west for the hunting then MN in the spring and summer to fish and enjoy the cool weather.
My 2 favorite mountain areas are or have been burned this summer, the fire in SW NM hit the Gila pretty hard and the Western Slope of CO is catching fire almost daily.

dullone
July 4, 2012, 10:30 PM
Prescot Az, 4000 ft elevation = not to hot and the most gun friendly place on the planet!

Just a slight correction, elevation is 5,200. 4 mild seasons and 300 days of sunshine a year. And some of the most gorgeous sunsets (and sunrises) your likely to see.
Want a gun? Order thru Davidson's Inc. and pick up the next day at the dealer you choose. It's sooooooooo ez.
J&G Sales? Yep they're here, just walk in.
Gunsite Academy? Just up the road.
Did I mention Ruger manufactures their pistols here?

MachIVshooter
July 4, 2012, 10:32 PM
Seemed a little too hot just NW of Colorado Springs lately!

I used to live near there, and am sure glad I didn't last week.

Yeah, we're definitely setting records this year. I don't recall the last time we saw 100*+ temps in June. Elbert county is higher elevation (I'm at 6,700 ft), so usually about 10* cooler than Denver, but I've definitely been sweating my keester off in my non-air conditioned shop. But the lack of humidity makes it much more tolerable than 100* in the Midwest, North-East or deep South! I've been in NY, NJ, CT, PA, DE, WV, VA, MD, OH, IN, IL, MO, IA, NE, KS, KY, TN, OK, TX & GA in the summer; I'll take dry mountain states, thank you very much! CO, WY, NM, AZ, NV and UT are the climates I prefer.

Snag
July 4, 2012, 11:08 PM
I love where I live, but it is California, so I can't honestly recommend that for a gun lover.

Southern Oregon would be one place pretty high on my list. If you can get over all the bad rep about Cali here's what the top of the state looks like around Christmas time.

http://i.imgur.com/mMnuK.jpg

T.R.
July 5, 2012, 08:00 AM
My travels with USAF for 23 years took me to many places. Northern California is TOPS but cost of living is too high unless you're wealthy or on welfare. Middle class suffers in this state.

We enjoyed the Black Hills of South Dakota except for the long & tough winters. Gets boring, too. No tax on income.

SE Pennsylvania is our current home. Easy access to east coast beaches, lakes, rivers, mts. Great deer hunting across the line in Maryland. Winters are easy to take. No tax on retirement income.

Hope this is helpful.

TR

hso
July 5, 2012, 08:50 AM
I suggest using the Brady Campaign map to pick where laws are friendliest for us and then check for your other criteria with retirements websites. Remember that AARP is an Anti organization and a critical eye needs to be applied to any general evaluations.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQChlXhoSysZBclbjCxm7kz_2o2-v4fpsAPBx9y0gHIjKrUI66kOA

tkaction
July 5, 2012, 08:58 AM
Pennsylvania! the bottom half is mild in the winters and our gun laws are fantastic. Wonderful in the spring summer and fall. The upper half has a real winter season. The southern states have brutal heat in the summer although Virginia is nice almost all year round but can get buggy. I spend a lot of time in Virginia and like the lynchburg area. The Va. beach is nice but real tough to travel to with the traffic. I live in upstate Pa. but travel to florida for 2 months in the winter. Pa permit is good in all three states.

skoro
July 5, 2012, 09:17 AM
Haven't seen it mentioned so far, so I'll be the first: New Mexico. Terrain and climate similar to Colorado, but warmer with shorter winters. Not as heavily populated as Arizona (and further away from CA) but almost as gun friendly. And as for restaurants, you'll soon grow to appreciate green chile.

A.Rifleman
July 5, 2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks to the members and moderators for the excellent advice. I am making a list of places to drive to this winter. The list may have Northern, VA for starters and then into KY and TN and down to North FL.

For the places out west we may need to fly. That might be another trip or not happen.

Here in NW CT we have it good until winter hits. I have an excellent range only 10 miles away and a place to hunt thats not too far. We like it warm and its excellent here at this area now. Outside right now at 9:20 am it's 76F on the screened in back porch and 75% humidity. I just stepped outside and its warm, almost hot in the bright sun. In the winter I don't go to the range at all as you just slip and slide on the ice while the wind blows your targets.

I went hunting yesterday, then we went to Cabelas for lunch. This afternoon I may go to the range. We used to sail and live aboard for the summer season. We sold the boat as I am too old to handle it.

Here is a picture of our backyard in April. Our lot is only just over an acre however there is a lot of woods behind us and the neighbors to our sides have land. I can't hunt back there however.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5996/pict00052.jpg

Double Vision
July 5, 2012, 10:57 AM
I recently moved to East TN an it is beautiful. For cities there are Knoxville, Greenville, Cleveland, Johnson city, and morristown. I live closer to Knoxville.

Housing and land prices are pretty great compared to up north. Winters are mild and summers aren't too bad (we did hit 105 this past weekend though).

There aren't as many gun shops or ranges around here as I thought there would be but I think that's probably due to so many people owning land or knowing someone that does.

Agreed. It is also motorcycle heaven!

brnmuenchow
July 5, 2012, 11:04 AM
Texas has warm climate for sure, we can even throw in some Gulf humidity.:D

Water-Man
July 5, 2012, 11:05 AM
Northeast Georgia! It doesn't get any better!

W-M

Sam1911
July 5, 2012, 11:42 AM
Well guys, as I said before:

Ultimately, we need to stick to gun laws, shooting, and RKBA -- and those are the EASY questions!

So since we're not a weather, climate, motorcycling, golfing, and retirement forum, we're going to have to close this down.

The OP has had the chance now to hear shout-outs from just about every part of the country. That should help him narrow things down.

Maybe once he's found a few places he really enjoys hanging out in, he could come back and ask regarding the gun laws there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to retire?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!