Hammerless
Fold down trigger
Cal. 7.65mm
No S/N

Marked with a ( N with a crown above it ) barrel, Frame and Cylinder
This is what I found on the Proof mark, could be right, could be wrong
Under the handle and flip down load cover there is a "16"
Anyone know what this is?

If you enjoyed reading about "Old 5 shot pocket revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tubeshooter
July 6, 2012, 05:54 PM
There are probably members here who can tell you just off that description, but a picture would help a thousand fold.

rcmodel
July 6, 2012, 05:56 PM
Something like this perhaps?
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=4292&aid=39073&lid=10392680

Good photo's of the gun and the proof marks would go a long long way in making a positive I.D. though.

rc

56hawk
July 6, 2012, 06:03 PM
Don't know if anyone else did it, but a crown over N was a standard pre WWII german proof mark.

Jim Watson
July 6, 2012, 06:09 PM
It's going to take pictures.
The 1911 Alfa catalog shows 8 revolvers that fit that description. None have any brand name other than Alfa which was just the Adolf Frank Export Co, a sporting goods company.
Zhuk shows about 20 that fit the description. Some even have brand names.

Jim K
July 7, 2012, 01:00 AM
Second on the crown N German proof mark.

The caliber is probably 7.65mm Browning, aka .32 ACP. Up to 1902 or so, most of those revolvers were chambered for .320 (the same as the old .32 Colt) or other revolver cartridges. But when auto pistols became popular, European revolver makers took advantage of the fact that the .32 ACP and (later) the .25 ACP (6.35mm Browning) had small rims, and chambered their revolvers for those cartridges. Since those revolvers had rod extractors, extraction was not a problem in spite of the small rim.

Jim

rcmodel
July 7, 2012, 01:09 AM
Regardless of what it turns out to be.

Don't plan your retirement around it's sale price!!

It's not going to be worth much unless it has Kaiser Wilhelm's name engraved on it in gold and you have the sales receipt.

rc

Mp7
July 12, 2012, 06:57 AM
search "Velodog" revolver.

They´re fairly common and more of a conversation piece
that valuable collectors pieces.

search
http://www.thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=10372181

cheers, Mp7.

Baba Louie
July 12, 2012, 12:26 PM
Yeap. What Mp7 said... Belgian Velo Dog Hammerless or a variant thereof (Spain made copies as well) useful when out riding your new-fangled Velocipede (aka bicycle) tho most of those were in a smaller caliber akin to a .22 or loaded with pepper dust.

Jim K
July 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
I realize I am fighting a losing battle, but "Velodog" is not the name of a type of revolver, it is the name of a cartridge. A revolver is not a Velodog unless it is chambered for the Velodog cartrige the same way a revolver is not a .38 Special unless it is chambered for the .38 Special cartridge. If ignorant people insist on calling all revolvers ".38 Specials" or "Velodogs" I can't stop them; I can only try to enlighten others.

Those are simply revolvers of a type common in Europe at about the same time inexpensive solid frame and top break revolvers were common in this country. They were chambered for a number of cartridges, one of which was the Velodog. That one is chambered for the .32 ACP, not the Velodog.

Jim

velocette
July 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
This is a Velodog, it even has Velodog on its side below the cylinder:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/Fire%20arms%202010/002-1.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/Fire%20arms%202010/003-1.jpg

Jim K
July 15, 2012, 10:22 PM
Yep, and the length of the cylinder indicates it was made for the long Velodog cartridge. If a revolver doesn't have a long cylinder like that, it is NOT a Velodog.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Old 5 shot pocket revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!