Man finds state trooper's assault rifle, ammo in road

PDA

RAMMUNITION
January 31, 2003, 12:50 AM
What would you do?
Man finds state trooper's assault rifle, ammo in road in Covington, La.

www.wwltv.com/local/northshore/WWLrifleinroad013003.7bbda6f.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Man finds state trooper's assault rifle, ammo in road" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Triad
January 31, 2003, 12:54 AM
Seems like this kind of story pops up every two or three months. Why can't the cops keep track of their stuff? Oh yeah, the serfs pay for it, so why bother?:fire: :cuss:

Tamara
January 31, 2003, 01:34 AM
"Hello, State Police barracks? Yeah, I found this poodleshooter lyin' in the road; I think it belongs to you guys. What? Ammo? Er, uh, nooo... didn't see any of that. The gun's filthy, though; you guys should clean 'em more often." :D

PATH
January 31, 2003, 01:42 AM
I'd turn it all in to the local newspaper.:neener:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
January 31, 2003, 02:18 AM
huh? find what? Ossifer, I tain't found nuttin......

Regards,
Rabbit.

Blackhawk
January 31, 2003, 02:19 AM
Registration site so I didn't read the story, but I'd probably look around for a few minutes to see if there was a body in the grass, note exactly where it was found, figure out who it belonged to, then call it in. Might be a crime scene, so I wouldn't wander off with it.

How about posting the story itself? :D

Airwolf
January 31, 2003, 02:36 AM
username: youareatool@hotmail.com
password: upyours

(feel free to use anytime) :D

www.wwltv.com/local/northshore/WWLrifleinroad013003.7bbda6f.html

Man finds state trooper's assault rifle, ammo in road

01/30/2003
MIKE ROSS / Northshore Bureau Chief

COVINGTON, La. -- A Northshore man who stopped to pick up what he thought was a tennis bag found himself in possession of a high-powered military assault rifle Tuesday.

According to air conditioner repairman James Simmons, he was driving down Highway-190 near Covington when he spotted the bag in the middle of the road.

“First I said, ‘oh that ain’t nothing,” recalled Simmons.
“But I said ‘that looks like a tennis racket type bag.”

But what Simmons found in the bag was certainly not a tennis racket: he had stumbled upon an AR-15 assault rifle and seven fully loaded magazines of ammunition.

“I'm like, ‘is this some drug dealers’ or just some hit men?’ I didn’t know what to think,” he said. “I was like, 'who in the hell would have something like this that you could lose?’”

Simmons says he immediately called 911, and St. Tammany sheriff's deputies quickly solved the mystery.
It turned out the weapon belonged to a state trooper.

According to officials, the officer didn’t realize the weapon had fallen out of the trunk of his patrol car until he got home that night.

His laptop computer had apparently hit the trunk release button and “with him driving down the road, the trunk didn’t actually fly wide open so he could observe it,” explained Trooper Kevin Allen of State Police Troop ‘L’. “It kinda’ stayed low with the wind against the trunk, and he lost his rifle.”

Simmons says he was happy to return the gun to the trooper, and his boss is proud of him as well.

“I can imagine many people would have done something with this gun that could have lead to harm to other people,” said Simmons’ boss Mel Gillory “By James picking this weapon up and getting it out of circulation and off the street could have saved a person's life.”
“It kinda’ restores your faith in society that there are good people out there,” Allen said.

State police say they consider the loss of the gun to be an accident, and the trooper will not face disciplinary action.

Officials are, however, looking at making changes to patrol cars in an effort to keep such an incident from happening again.

PATH
January 31, 2003, 02:40 AM
A computer opened the trunk? ROFLMAO!:D

Blackhawk
January 31, 2003, 02:41 AM
Reminds me of the Keystone Cops.... :rolleyes:

Hkmp5sd
January 31, 2003, 02:58 AM
himself in possession of a high-powered military assault rifle Tuesday.

Good thing it wasn't an intermediate-powered civilian target rifle. Must have had the bayonet lug.

HS/LD
January 31, 2003, 03:32 AM
His laptop computer had apparently hit the trunk release button

and the reporter said, "Oh yeah that makes sense."

I have heard it all now.

"No officer my computer pulled the trigger and shot that home invader!"

HS/LD

Seeker
January 31, 2003, 03:53 AM
“It kinda’ stayed low with the wind against the trunk, and he lost his rifle.”

A little hard to believe that with he wind holding the trunk lid down the rifle and ammo were able to sneak out.

What, the wind blew it out of the trunk? Hmm.. I'll reckon that if you p[laced that same bag with rifle and ammo in the bed of a pick-up, sans tailgate, it wouldn't blow out.

Maybe hit hit a BIG bump in the road causing the bag with rifle and ammo to bounce out. But then he would have surely noticed the trunk lid slamming full open.

I dunno, sounds fishy to me.

Triad
January 31, 2003, 03:56 AM
Simmons says he was happy to return the gun to the trooper, and his boss is proud of him as well.

?I can imagine many people would have done something with this gun that could have lead to harm to other people,? said Simmons? boss Mel Gillory ?By James picking this weapon up and getting it out of circulation and off the street could have saved a person's life.?
?I'm like, ?is this some drug dealers? or just some hit men?? I didn?t know what to think,? he said. ?I was like, 'who in the hell would have something like this that you could lose???
Yeah, guns are baaaaaad.:rolleyes:
high-powered military assault rifle
As opposed to a low powered rifle?:rolleyes:

Ed Brunner
January 31, 2003, 08:46 AM
of telling him that he had way too much equipment.

JMLV
January 31, 2003, 09:00 AM
Strip the gun to a bare lower. turn in the lower to sp anonmously
Yes! The computer did it! Does this trooper really need an ar15?

voilsb
January 31, 2003, 09:07 AM
anyone happen to know if it was pre- or post-ban configured? auto capabilities?

Dave P
January 31, 2003, 09:10 AM
Like, ah, maybe, computing and driving and thinking ought to be like, outlawed?

FPrice
January 31, 2003, 09:12 AM
"anyone happen to know if it was pre- or post-ban configured? auto capabilities?"

The computer?????

:confused:

Kahr carrier
January 31, 2003, 09:14 AM
Finders Keepers.:neener:

Jim V
January 31, 2003, 12:23 PM
Going along with Tamara's thoughts, "You might want to check it for throat erosion, the bore looked kinda shot out to me."

Johnny Guest
January 31, 2003, 12:30 PM
Well, perhaps. Stranger things have happened.

My vote, though, is that the trooper was just transferring gear, put the case somewhere insecure, lost track of it, and drove away. About once a month, somewhere in our county, there's a fresh story of someone leaving a flashlight, clipboard, briefcase, patrol bag, laptop 'puter, or portable radio, on the car, and driving off. No one even comments on the food and coffee cups lost that way.

True confessions time: I loaded up to go duck hunting one pitch black morning. Lotsa gear. Drove 40 miles to meet others, including about a half-mile over a rough farm track. After donning my gear, I couldn't find my shotgun in the trunk! Embarrassment: Brought all this other gear and left gun at home! BUT - - Oh, no! Clearly recalled hauling the cased gun out to the car. Dawning memory: Put it on rear bumper while I . . . OH, RATS! Could have bounced off anywhere. Buddy offered use of his spare gun, but I was so sick about loss of my 1100 . . . I got ready to go report the loss to about four police agencies. (This was in pre-cell phone days.) While taking off my other gear, I looked down, and there was the gun, still on the bumper. Fortunately, I hadn't hit any big bumps on the way. Giant relief, and a FIRM resolution that I would NEVER leave ANY firearm improperly secured again. I have stuck to it, too. :o

Best,
Johnny

gun-fucious
January 31, 2003, 12:50 PM
confession time

after a nice day of fishing and photography at the lake.
i loaded the family back into the Cherokee.
The little one needed help getting aboard so i put my 1000 dollar digital camera on the roof inboard of the Jeeps rack rail and drove home with it on the roof.

Despite traveling the rutted gravel road for a mile, driving on local roads at 50 mph for 5 miles, and making several turns, the camera was exactly where i left it.

20 pounds of rifle will not jump out of a trunk.

It will however slide off of a roof when left there.

Ron L
January 31, 2003, 12:58 PM
What gun? What bag? What ammo? What road? I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

dev_null
January 31, 2003, 01:22 PM
So, I was like, 'goldurn them sneaky high power (.223) assault rifles anyhow, and how'd that thing talk the computer into opening the trunk for it?'

I was like, 'I told you them things could think for themselves... that's why we know they're all just waiting to run off and kill someone.'

-0-

George Hill
January 31, 2003, 01:40 PM
"Hey, nice rifle! And ammo too! Well, the Lord works in mysterious ways. I wonder how it shoots.... I best find out before I put it in my safe!"

Ol' Badger
January 31, 2003, 01:58 PM
I would whistle and take it straight to the nearest dump and test it out on rats. Then put it back where I found it and run it over and call the Police. "Hey I found this here gun in the road" :D

Politically Incorrect
January 31, 2003, 02:09 PM
I like George Hill's idea.

"Praiiiiiise Jeeeeeeeesus! Lord Almighty has answered my prayers with this glorious rifle. It's a miracle I tell you. One day, I was prayin' for an AR-15 and then I just stumble upon this here Lord's blessing. You can be blessed to! Just pray for understanding, patience, and your local law enforcement agent to accidently leave their rifle on the trunk lid of their vehicle when they take off down the road.

:evil:

Fed168
January 31, 2003, 02:11 PM
This happened to an instructor of mine. I am glad he got it back, and it shows that there are still some honest folks out there.

CZ-75
January 31, 2003, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the trooper is someone who could find a job with a certain Tennessee PD. ;)

cratz2
January 31, 2003, 02:27 PM
I've got $100 that says I can put a rifle and ammo in my trunk, bungie cord the trunk open and drive around for the rest of my life and the stuff will never blow out of the trunk. Now maybe if I hit a big bump while driving 138 MPH, maybe. But I still doubt it.

Archie
January 31, 2003, 02:31 PM
One. This is the kind of stuff of which I live in mortal fear. I have two grades of luck, none and wretched.

Two. Even though no "official action" will transpire, the officer's peers will be certain to keep this lapse fresh in his memory. Until he dies. Someone will put an M16 picture on his retirement cake.

AmericanFreeBird
January 31, 2003, 03:05 PM
Too bad I didn't find it.

I always wanted an nice AR. :D

Mark D
January 31, 2003, 03:09 PM
"Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. We thank thee this day, for thy blessed gift of armaments."

;)

John G
January 31, 2003, 05:25 PM
He probably left it on the roof of his car, and drove away, forgetting it was there.

Wait. No, the "laptop opened the trunk" story sounds better.

coonan357
January 31, 2003, 05:34 PM
how come some guys get all the luck All I seem to find are bags full of garbage .... and cratz the chances of you driving around indy at 138 are like impossible , where does marion county hide there cars in the beams of the bridges??? they always come out of nowhere..

Woodchuck
January 31, 2003, 06:00 PM
That's the most inadequate story I've ever heard. It kind of reminds me of the speeders excuse that the floormat got stuck on the gas pedal. The cop left the bag on top of the car roof or trunk lid and drove away. Kind of reminds you of the guy who left his wallet on top of his car at the gas station and was pulled over in a felony stop in Tn. where they shot his dog. Maybe that guys' computer opened the car door and let his dog out too.

CWL
January 31, 2003, 06:03 PM
I have left my wallet on top of my car before & drove off, some good Samaritan found it and called me. Certainly glad of that.

I believe that there was more chance of that happening to the officer than a computer opening the trunk.

Autolite
February 1, 2003, 03:07 AM
Errant laptop computers and 'evil' trunk release buttons. This was a accident just waiting to happen. We can't say we didn't see it comin' ...

Hand_Rifle_Guy
February 1, 2003, 03:59 AM
Trooper goofed once-oops! Well, all is forgiven, we got it back. Lesson learned, yes?

Trooper goofs twice, fired, yes? Irresponsible is as irresponsible does. NOT trooper material.

Kudos to the honest guy. Personally, I can see doing the same. Couldn't keep it in Kaliforny and enjoy it freely: LEO assualt weapons are registered. It'd have to be a "bury it 'til ya NEEDS it" rifle. Not NEAR as much fun to own, then, as running the numbers reveals a felony. Yuch.

A'coursed, since I don't actually OWN one o' them, I might just have to say "What rifle? I didn't see any rifle..."

GRRR!! 'Snot FAIR! Evil stupid banning laws tempt me to criminal behavior 'cuz I can't just go and BUY one!

I HATE CRIMINALS! :fire: STUPID LEGISLATURE/GOVERNOR/STATE!! :fire: :fire: :cuss: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sigghhh...:(

Seeker
February 1, 2003, 04:43 AM
Trooper goofed once-oops! Well, all is forgiven, we got it back. Lesson learned, yes? Yes. Itseems that either the trooper or someone else was less than truthful in relating the story. This is what bothers me the most as it would seem the trooper has little trouble not telling the whole truth.

Mad Man
February 1, 2003, 09:37 AM
Does Louisiana have so-called "safe storage" laws, which require firearms to be locked up (for the sake of the children, of course)?

If not, it makes sense that the officer would not face any official disciplinary action.

If so, then it's another case of a double standard.

4v50 Gary
February 1, 2003, 10:08 AM
Wouldn't keep it, but darn if I didn't squirt out all the ammo first. Naw...

cracked butt
February 1, 2003, 12:30 PM
What if the article were titled "man finds state trooper's billfold and cash in road" ? I can't believe that so many people would keep the rifle as a 'gift from God' or 'finders keepers'. If it were my rifle or billfold that were lost, I would really like to have it returned in the condition it was found as I would do the same if I were the finder.

LEO's are on our side, though some of them may be a little over the top, most of them are the good guys. I'm ashamed that people talk abotu LEOs this way on this board which is a progun board. If we are to keep our rights and freedoms, we have the responsibility to respect others especially the law. This is what separates the difference between gun ownership of law abiding citizens and criminals.

Coronach
February 1, 2003, 01:06 PM
:rolleyes:

I love how some are assuming the cop is lying. Oh, no, not biased or anything, are we?

War story:

An officer in my PD, working 3rd shift, was driving down the road, looked back, and saw his trunk lid open. He pulled over, checked his gear, and noted that everything was present, including the shotgun and associated case. He wonders how long the stupid thing had been open (as he had never opened it the entire shift, and this was about 3 hours into it), closes it, and goes about his tasks.

A few hours later he looks back, and his trunk lid is open again. By now he suspects foul play (read: another officer screwing with him), gets out, goes to close the trunk and-

The shotgun and case are not there.

Well, he craps himself and calls his sergeant. Sarge shows up, the officer explains, and a precinct wide dragnet is launched for the missing gun. It is found a few blocks away, case scuffed but gun unharmed. Sarge inspects the trunk latch, is not really buying this "my trunk lid just came open" story (he, too, suspected foul play, as one of his troops is a bit of a comedian), and tells the officer to drive back to the substation for the subsequent paperwork explosion.

Well, God is at times extremely benevolent, and ALWAYS has a sense of humor. The sergeant is following the officer back to the substation, and suddenly notes the trunk lid is again ajar. He gets on the radio to advise the officer to pull over...but before he can get the mic in hand, the gun falls out AGAIN and sarge nearly runs it over.

Cause? We have a LOT of gear in the trunks...and Ford is equipping Crown Vics with this new 'safety feature' of an interior trunk release. Once stuff starts sliding around, it can and will snag on the free-dangling trunk release and cause it to open. This is especially a problem with our cruisers, as we have a large Rubbermaid organizer that fills up much of the trunk, and puts things, like your riot bag and the gun case, sitting on its very smooth lid, in a position to slide around, right at the level of the trunk release tab. We have since duct-taped all of the release tabs to the trunk lid.

ALSO:

He is saying the laptop hit the release button in the cruiser itself? OK. Take a look at where the trunk release button is on a Crown Vic, Police Interceptor. Think about where a laptop on a swivelling mount would be located. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'd have to see his layout, but its quite plausible. The electronics weenies who outfit the cruisers don't always think about practical matters like this when they install our computers in the cars.

The real moral of the story? IF YOU PUT A GUN IN A CAR, YOU NEED TO INSTALL A RACK FOR IT. Police Chiefs of America, ARE YOU LISTENING?

Mike (without a rack for his cruiser shotgun, :cuss: )

Coronach
February 1, 2003, 01:09 PM
And to be fair, it is also possible that he just failed to close the trunk lid, or left the rifle sitting someplace. Possible. But having seen crown vic trunk lids pop (or fail to latch) first hand, and knowing the story of the 3rd shift shotgun hunt, I'm certainly not prepared to say this guy is full of hooey.

Mike

Fed168
February 1, 2003, 03:11 PM
And it really doesn't help that there is no room in a squad car. A couple years ago a new deputy in my county left his laptop on top the car while moving equipment to and fro at the end of the shift. Realized that the laptop wasn't in the car a couple miles down the road, went back and found it in the middle of the highway. It worked for about two more weeks.

I did some serious paperwork on that one....

DMK
February 1, 2003, 09:07 PM
himself in possession of a high-powered military assault rifle So then were did the trooper get it? It fell out of a humvee and he picked it up? :rolleyes:

Idiot reporters :rolleyes: :banghead:

I'd have given it back too. After all, we paid for it and we'd also pay for it's replacement. I'd rather see it being used as it is supposed to be. Less rifles missing, perhaps more money for training and proper equipment to secure their firearms.

HABU
February 1, 2003, 09:51 PM
Take a look at where the trunk release button is on a Crown Vic, Police Interceptor.
My crown vic isn't a stadank special, but the trunk release button is behind the glove box lid. Is that not standard location for them? Are the glove box lids removed ? Are the laptops inside the glove box?:confused:

Atticus
February 1, 2003, 11:00 PM
"Hello...State Police? I just found what looks like the bottom half of a machine gun/assault weapon looking thingy laying in the road." Could you please come get it; it looks dangerous."

Zip06
February 1, 2003, 11:38 PM
The way it really happened is that the officer spilled his latte on his lap, swerved unitentionally knocking a dozen warm glazed donuts into the trunk release. While picking up the donuts the cop, now doing 70mph swerves into the curb on a turn jarring the firearm, spare tire and a heap of junk out the back.

Well, it makes as much sense as the lap top theory.

seeker_two
February 2, 2003, 03:37 AM
Hello, officer. I found one of your LE-only rifles here on the side of the road. I figured that, since only LEO's can be trusted w/ these "high-powered" rifles, I just wanted to get it back to you as soon as I could.

Hi-cap magazines? No, sir. I didn't find any hi-cap magazines w/ it. Guess they were stored separately--like y'all advise us "civilians" to do. No, sir. I wouldn't have any hi-cap magazines. Well, I'd figure that only LEO's could be trusted w/ them--kinda like the "high-powered rifle" thing. If someone else got them, how much do you think they could get for them? That much, huh? Well, I'll keep a look-out though.

Well, I'd better get on the road. I'm going to do some trading, and I think I'll get some good deals today. BTW, do you know where a fellow could get a cheap Dremmel tool & some Gun-Blue? I just have a few things to touch up before I get there...:D

Kahr carrier
February 2, 2003, 03:51 AM
OOOOPPPPSSSSS:neener:

Beren
February 2, 2003, 12:21 PM
The laptop computer was at fault?

Damn. Yet another security flaw brought to you courtesy of Microsoft Windows!

Seriously, it sounds like an honest accident to me. Many people have done far more silly things, myself included. What I found offensive was the usual insinuation that "most people" would have gone off and done something bad with the rifle once they found it.

BS. "Most people" would've done exactly what the man who found it did - call the police.

Me? Assuming I hadn't run over the darn bag, I would've called the cops too. Had I not seen the bag and thus run it over with my car, I would likely have tossed the bag into the nearest, deepest puddle in a fit of anger. Upon hearing the metallic rattling inside, I may have fished it out of the puddle to have a look.

Then again, I may have left it there in the puddle, ignorant of what was inside.

I've hit car jacks that idiots have left in the middle of the road and tend to get irritable about road debris. :)

tex_n_cal
February 2, 2003, 03:10 PM
Hmmm...what would YOU do if you found a gun laying in the middle of nowhere?

All joking aside about finders keepers, you should really turn the damn thing in.

How do you know it wasn't a murder weapon? Turning the gun in might help convict the bad guy. Or help convict you of a crime you didn't commit!

To me the potential gain is not worth the potential problems.

DeltaElite
February 2, 2003, 03:19 PM
I'd give it to the media.
The guy needs to be reamed for losing his weapon.

God I work with such idiots. :banghead:

Coronach
February 2, 2003, 05:02 PM
My crown vic isn't a stadank special, but the trunk release button is behind the glove box lid. Is that not standard location for them? Are the glove box lids removed ? Are the laptops inside the glove box?Well, prior to installing the fancy-schmanzy permanently mounted in-car touch screen computers (which are now working more often than they are not, excitement!), the trunk release button was to be found dead-center on the dash board, between the radio and the AC controls. I'm not sure if that is where it comes in the original package, or if that is a feature that is added by Division of Communications when they install the electronics in the cars. That would made sense, as when you need something out of the trunk (like, say, your long gun), you sometimes need it pretty quickly. This, incidentally, is right about level with most of the swivel mounts that I have seen for other agencies laptops.

Now that we have the aforementioned computers, our trunk release buttons have been moved to the driver's side of a custom-installed between-the-seats console. The previous location would be dead-center behind the computer screen. Inconvenient, at best.

As I said, it would depend on how the gear was laid out in the cruiser. It is not at all implausible to me, especially knowing how lame some of the layouts can be. Our Caprices, for instance, have a problem with clipboards sliding on the between-the-seats consoles and pushing buttons on the radio. If something as obvious as that eludes the layout team, I can see a laptop mount being just as troublesome. Couple that with a AR in an unsecured case, sitting atop some sort of trunk organizer (a very common setup...you NEED a trunk organizer, and you NEED your rifle on top of everything else), yeah, I can see it going down just as reported.

Mike

PS Again, moral? Long guns stored in cars need a rack. Period.

NewShooter78
February 2, 2003, 05:45 PM
Well being from La, and knowing where this happend a big bump in the road could launch this out of the trunk, and it not being a lie. Couple that with Coronach's tale, and personal experience with cluttered trunks of crusiers I can see this happening...maybe. But it is probably more likely a case of a tropper forgeting that he put his long gun on the roof of the car or the lid of the trunk. And I would definetly not keep this rifle for myself (I keep telling this to myself :evil: ). And no there are no safe storage laws in La. to answer another question. You can keep a loaded weapon pretty much anywhere in your car here. Your car is considered an extension of your home by state law, so you can have a gun anywhere you like.

Coronach
February 2, 2003, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I agree that negligence is also quite possible. God knows I've left enough Saunders clipboards atop cruisers...

Mike

Skunkabilly
February 2, 2003, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I agree that negligence is also quite possible. God knows I've left enough Saunders clipboards atop cruisers...

At least your troops don't leave sunflower seeds on the floor :D :D :D!!!

I always wondered about those trunk releases. It shows a picture of a guy jumping out.

1) do they think a cop is going to stuff some BG in the trunk?
2) do criminals drive crown vics and stuff victims in the trunk?
3) if anyone DID stuff someone in the trunk, wouldn't they just cut that silly thing off?

Coronach
February 3, 2003, 12:18 AM
The internal trunk releases are a pretty intelligent safety feature that is being installed on all newer cars, IIRC. This prevents kids from shutting themselves in car trunks and being unable to escape. In theory, at least. The Crown Vic Police Interceptors have them simply because the production Crown Vic does.

We just tape them to the trunk lid, problem selved. Besides, with all of the gear floating around in the trunk of my car, you couldn't FIT anyone back there. ;)

Mike

Tropical Z
February 3, 2003, 01:25 PM
LEO's do this kind of stuff with alarming regularity!:rolleyes:

Coronach
February 3, 2003, 08:16 PM
I dunno. It would seem that school shootings happen with alarming regularity as well, until you look at the actual data. We're pretty quick to engage in the same statistical chicanery we decry when VPC is doing it...

Got stats?

Mike

TallPine
February 3, 2003, 08:24 PM
2) do criminals drive crown vics and stuff victims in the trunk?

Nah, they (criminals) just throw their car jacking victims in the trunk of their own car, to play with later.

mcole
February 3, 2003, 08:34 PM
last spring a poliice officer from another city left three of his departments rifles and some other stuff at my gun club range. it was several months before he apparently realized it was missing. mcole

45R
February 3, 2003, 08:38 PM
I would look at it as a government gift to its taxpayers :evil:

He'd get the rifle back, but I'd ask him nicely to take me out shooting on the police range. :)

Zundfolge
February 3, 2003, 09:24 PM
"Hello Bushmaster? Yes, I'd like to order one stripped AR 15 receiver."

Anyone know how hot a fire I'd have to have to melt down a bushmaster receiver?

Johnny Guest
February 5, 2003, 08:41 PM
- - You make a decent point there. Stranger things have hapened, and it COULD be a proper explanation. I admit that I subscribe to the principle that, if there are two or more explanations for a strange event, and one is far more likely and simpler than the others, THAT is the likely answer. In fairness, though, the alternatives should be checked out.

My county has issued me three different Crown Vics. The remote trunk release was located differently in each one. I have long and gangly legs. Job one: Make CERTAIN SURE the microphone cannot be accidentally keyed. Job two: Make sure the trunk remote cannot be accidentally activiated. Over the years, I have learned a certain amount of do-it-myownself re-engineering.:D

I bought that AR15 with my own money. Please believe me (especially in light of my earlier true confession:o ,) I have it well secured in my trunk. The issue 870 is even more secure--At home in my safe. Yep, I qualify with it once a year, clean it, and then put it up again.

Best,
Johnny

Matt G
February 10, 2003, 04:33 PM
Most laptops mounted in cop cars are mounted on a swivel unit on the right side of the transmission hump, which allows access to the driver while allowing a passenger to sit in front. If Passenger gets in, swivel is often ulocked and rotated toward the driver to provide more room. That puts the left side of the laptop and mount against the dash, near where the thermostat controls are. Just above the thermostat controls in police Crown Vic cruisers is the pushbutton for the auto trunk release. This could get hit by a laptop, depending on the swivel mount height.

Many depts., especially state troopers, have taken to mounting their patrol rifles on the underside of their trunk lids, and just put a little more tension on the trunk lid springs. This allows the rifle to always be up top, no matter how much stuff is in the trunk.

At speed, when the trunk is popped, the trunk lid tends to stay down, mostly. With more weight in it, like a rifle case, I imagine it would sit lower. Catch a good bounce that shakes the carbine case from its mounts on the trunk lid, and voila! the carbine lands in the road.

Folks, these things really could happen. (shrug)

Russ
February 10, 2003, 04:37 PM
Hold it for ransom!

NewShooter78
February 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
Just thought I'd add a little more on this subject. A similar story appeared on the news a week or so ago about the same subject, but different players. This time it was a select fire HK that was missing. It had been missing for months, but the parish sherrif's office decided not to tell the media about it. Apparently a SWAT officer somehow left his gear bag, w/the gun and ammo in it so that it ended up on the highway. A guy had picked it up and had been keeping it for himself, when a friend spilled the beans on him to the department and the gun was returned. The officer who lost the gun has since been removed from SWAT, and I don't remember if he was actually fired or not. I'll try and find the story and post it as soon as I can find it on the net.

Coronach
February 10, 2003, 09:25 PM
OK.

I am not making this up.

This JUST happened to me, Saturday.

Well, no, not exactly. I didn't leave a firearm laying on a road, but follow along.

My partner and I load up our cruiser with our (2) gear bags, (2) Riot gear bags, (1) coffin-sized trunk organizer, (1) Fed-gov provided polaroid camera (sigh), (2) boxes of flares, (2) lunch boxes and (1) Remington 870 shotgun in its hard plastic case.

We get a run as we're loading up, so I slam the trunk lid and hop in. She starts the cruiser rolling, and after a few blocks we notice a creaking sound...we look back and...crap! The trunk's open.

She stops the car, I bail out and run around to the rear, with visions of disciplinary action for losing a city-issued shotgun...and *whew*, it is still there. I do a quick check...all gear accounted for. I curse myself for not getting the trunk lid closed tight, slam it extra hard and get back in.
:cuss:

Ten minutes and several miles later, the trunk is again open. :rolleyes:

Sigh.

We stop, I get out and check what I now remember to be the real culprit...and yup, internal trunk release is dangling again, and the shotgun case pulled it when it slid off of the trunk organizer. Fortunately, it was only hanging halfway out of the trunk. :eek: One more pothole and it probably would have fallen out.
:what:

Gents, the more I think about it, the Trooper is wrong. His laptop didn't pop the trunk, something in the trunk pulled that stupid release tab. If it was not secured properly (the duct tape came loose on mine), it WILL pop open.

Mike :cuss:

AF_INT1N0
March 6, 2005, 01:31 AM
Depending on the FA capability of the Police Rifle...
Call ATF. Claim reward.

This solves three issues.
Negligent Cop is deprived of something he may or may not possess the responsibility to Keep.
Rifle off the Street
I get addition to my collection for my trouble. :)

What would happen to your Rifle if police found it in the Road??
"Sorry Officer my Laptop pushed my trunk release button, can I have my rifle back now please sir??" :rolleyes:

4v50 Gary
March 6, 2005, 01:54 AM
Johnny, that's one heckuva story.

LiquidTension
March 6, 2005, 03:51 AM
I'd be very tempted to keep the thing. After all, if it is issued to local police I did pay for it :rolleyes: Just think of it as an addition to your tax return.

If it were FA I'd definitely turn it in though. The RIDICULOUS punishment for having an unregistered FA weapon is not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned. Now, if it were not marked LE in any way I'd try to find the owner because I'd want someone else to do the same for me. But a government entity is just going to issue another one if one gets lost, so I wouldn't feel bad about keeping something that was so obviously meant to be found by me :D

wasrjoe
March 6, 2005, 04:06 AM
LEO's do this kind of stuff with alarming regularity!

I believe that if you amended the word humans in place of LEOs, your statement would be correct.

pete f
March 6, 2005, 04:24 AM
many years ago i dated a girl who worked on North Clark street in Chicago. Lots of cops came into her place for lunch, and dinner, and when ever they decided the battery in the radio died. . . anyway one day i pick her up from the shop and she has a huge smile on her face, and she hands me a bag. In the bag is a big sandwich and a dishtowel. In the dishtowel is wrapped a model 669 S&W and badge holder. I just about fainted when i saw that piece sitting there. I was I think 19 at the time. I asked where in the H"""' she got it and she some fat cop had come in and taken it off because it stuck into his belly every time he sat down,and left it on the table when he left, I said why did you keep it and she said...."he never tips"

I dated her for the rest of the summer and she said He never asked about it and the next time he was in he did the same thing, only stopped at the door and walked back to pick them both up.

my nephew worked for a while at a local ford dealership that serviced LEO cars. He said they came in all the time with gun cases in the trunks or in racks and the racks were all installed by the dealership and they all operated on one key, not just the racks but ALL the cop cars had the same key.

Big stink there one day, cops hasseling everyone looking for a 37 mm street sweeper gas gun, turned out cop had grabbed it and tossed it into the trunk of the car that picked him up...his wifes car.

I think the cops after a while just get complacent about stuff./
like anyone would

Ky Larry
March 6, 2005, 10:45 AM
When I was a child, my mother would take my toys away from me if I didn't take care of them. Sounds like this cop needs some time on the capgun squad. :neener
Seriously, spending his next 10 days off in the armoury cleaning weapons would be a good reminder to keep better track of his equipment.
My $0.02 worth.

whm1974
March 6, 2005, 10:49 AM
Just thought I'd add a little more on this subject. A similar story appeared on the news a week or so ago about the same subject, but different players. This time it was a select fire HK that was missing. It had been missing for months, but the parish sherrif's office decided not to tell the media about it. Apparently a SWAT officer somehow left his gear bag, w/the gun and ammo in it so that it ended up on the highway. A guy had picked it up and had been keeping it for himself, when a friend spilled the beans on him to the department and the gun was returned. The officer who lost the gun has since been removed from SWAT, and I don't remember if he was actually fired or not. I'll try and find the story and post it as soon as I can find it on the net.

If i found something like this, and decided to keep it, I wouldn't tell anyone.... Most likely I would turn it in however. The penity for having a FA weapon isn't worth it.

many years ago i dated a girl who worked on North Clark street in Chicago. Lots of cops came into her place for lunch, and dinner, and when ever they decided the battery in the radio died. . . anyway one day i pick her up from the shop and she has a huge smile on her face, and she hands me a bag. In the bag is a big sandwich and a dishtowel. In the dishtowel is wrapped a model 669 S&W and badge holder. I just about fainted when i saw that piece sitting there. I was I think 19 at the time. I asked where in the H"""' she got it and she some fat cop had come in and taken it off because it stuck into his belly every time he sat down,and left it on the table when he left, I said why did you keep it and she said...."he never tips"

Silly question, but what did she do with it? Did the fat cop do the same thing again?

-Bill

Daniel964
March 6, 2005, 11:57 AM
"Hello Bushmaster? Yes, I'd like to order one stripped AR 15 receiver." :what: OH Ya GOOD PLAN. :D

Thanks for the great idea. If I ever get so lucky. :evil:

jdomin
March 6, 2005, 03:09 PM
badges guns?ammo?we aint got no stinkin badges :neener:

ninenot
March 6, 2005, 03:16 PM
If the story is accurate, it seems to me that this Trooper had a real trunkload of crap, on top of which sat his notebook computer and rifle.

About time for him to clean out that car, eh?

P5 Guy
March 6, 2005, 08:26 PM
Same thing happened in Largo FLA about ten years ago. Patrolman put the bag with his MP5 on the roof of the car while loading his other gear. Jumped in and drove off. The bag, MP5 and several mags loaded with "Black Talons" were deposited on the street to be found by the guy that turned it all in a few days later.
I cannot say what I would have done if I found the "lost property" in the street :evil:

Randy in Arizona
March 6, 2005, 10:51 PM
Two gunnysacks of HOT Hatch green chiles. YUM!

A full 125 cubic foot acetylene cylinder.

A 30 round magazine for a Mini 14 with ammo.

Lots of stuff laying beside the road:

Bedliner that almost fits my pickup

Close to a dozen assorted plastic gas cans, one good metal one.

Dozens of bungiecords.

:D :D :D :D

bamawrx
March 7, 2005, 12:19 AM
The trunk release on some year model LE crown vics replaces the center dash clock. As has been mentioned previously, it would be easy to push on accident. Although after reading Coronach's story it seems the internal release probably got the trooper.

Now before reading these posts I would have kept that rifle and slept great that night, BUT I do understand that some officers do have to pay for their own rifles. If I found a rifle that was marked so that I knew it was LE and it was semi only it would cross my mind that maybe the officer paid for it, and that would cause me to consider trying to find the owner. I know if I lost a gun I would be sick about it and would want it back.

If Full Auto: Keep (might need it some day) Give thanks, holy praise, etc.
If Semi no owner markings: Keep and give thanks.
If Semi With Leo markings or indications of leo ownership: Maybe keep but do some "checking" on the down and low. If situation warrants...thanks and praise.

Remember the recent story about a fishermen returning a bunch of M2's lost by some troops in training? Now I would have kept those babies! I can bury a right side plate no problem. Speaking of holy praise...jeeze I'd have to give a burt offering for finding some m2s.

The_Antibubba
March 7, 2005, 01:04 AM
I'd like to think I'd turn it in. If it were marked as LEO, I certainly would, but I'd use the incident to try to wrangle a CCW out of them for not going to the press. :evil:

Stickjockey
March 8, 2005, 02:37 PM
I always wondered about those trunk releases. It shows a picture of a guy jumping out.

That's not a guy.

It's the TRUNK MONKEY!! (http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/29/59/) :evil:

I'd turn it in.

trickyasafox
March 8, 2005, 03:31 PM
the guy definatly left it on his roof and wont own up to it. no way did an ar and 7 loaded mags bounce out of a partially opened trunk. just cause hes a trooper dont make his word gosple. . . . . ..

Daemon688
March 8, 2005, 04:29 PM
A computer accidentally hit the trunk release button and on top of that the trunk opened just enough for a large back to slide through and fall out of a trunk? I don't buy it, good story to save face though; I think.

Harry Tuttle
March 8, 2005, 05:40 PM
seems like a 5 dollar dog leash might be "a good thing" to install in the trunk

Farnham
March 8, 2005, 10:25 PM
“I'm like, ‘is this some drug dealers’ or just some hit men?’ I didn’t know what to think,”

"Just" some hit men? Nobody else found that hilarious?

Must be waist deep in hitmen down there...

Farnham

PS: Keep it. Shovel. Shut up.

Nitram68
March 8, 2005, 11:00 PM
GPS microchip in the gov't firearms only, not civi's :evil:

mondocomputerman
March 8, 2005, 11:15 PM
I would turn it in. Only law enforcement should be allowed to have guns...

secamp32
March 10, 2005, 05:40 PM
How about taking it to an innercity gun buyback? Get $50 or 100 bucks for it.

w12code3
March 18, 2005, 10:02 AM
Wow, this is my first post here. I was really excited to find this forum and have spent my comp. time over the past couple of days reading a lot of the great stuff here. Then I tripped over this thread and wonder; what gives? :scrutiny:

Perhaps I open myself up to ridicule here but I am not even a little bit ashamed to admit that I am a cop.

I will even risk sounding like a conceited ass and say that I am a very good cop.

Many of the people who posted in this thread seem to have some very harsh opinions of me and my brothers and sisters in blue by virtue of our chosen profession. Lets look at what a cop is shall we?

You have chosen us (through your Government) to be defenders of the people. We protect those too weak or timid to protect themselves. You require us to operate in a strictly controlled environment that gives every advantage to the person(s) suspected of a crime.

We are required to be legal experts, counselors, referees, therapists, priests, teachers, social workers, diplomats, English majors, child psychologists, non-lethal combat experts, riflemen, pistoleers, racecar drivers, flat tire changers, cab driver, medical aid first responders, family counselor, Marriage therapist, babysitter, guard, deductive reasoner, etc. etc. etc…

Oh yeah, we have to be completely unbiased; fair, and impartial at all times. We have to be able to be tempted continuously and refuse to give in, we have to know where to find all the vice the world has to offer, but partake in none of it.

You give us enormous power and responsibility. At times decisions that we make impact the entire course of other people’s lives… sometimes those decisions have to be made in fractions of a second…. and we cant make mistakes.

Here’s the hitch. We are people; yes folks, human beings just like you. We make mistakes; sometimes even when we try our hardest not to.

My issued CAR is a tool; nothing more, nothing less. Lets say I worked in construction and when I left the jobsite one evening the tailgate of my pickup truck fell open and my saws-all case slid out of the box of my truck and was found on the highway the next day? Would that make me too irresponsible a carpenter to carry a saws-all in the future?

Given, some butt-monkey who tripped over something lying in the road could do a hell of a lot more damage with my Rock River than they could with the Makita, but damn.

Frankly I am shocked that there are so many people who responded to this by first firing off some smarmy comment about the police then going on to expound on how they would conceal the rifle. I couldn’t even imagine having this conversation with a bunch of other cops… somehow us irresponsible, imbecile, no-good cops find or have handed to us found property all the time and don’t convert it to our personal use. What kind of disparaging remarks would you have to make about a news story of a cop who found a man’s gun and decided to keep it for himself “because the owner is obviously too irresponsible to keep it himself?" Or do you hold us to a higher standard than you hold yourself to?

Yes there are bad cops, stupid cops, fat cops, and crooked cops. No more than there are bad-stupid-fat-crooked farmers, or bakers, or car mechanics, or engineers or whatever. Far less even, in my opinion.

Oh, and by the way, I wish I could take some pictures of my old Vic, to show you just how very easily this could have happened just as the Trooper said it did, but I drive an Expedition now.

I would attempt to explain in detail that the damn dash mounted trunk release or the pull cord for the emergency trunk escape on a patrol car can (and does) inadvertently pop open the trunk and how a cruiser’s trunk is so jammed full of equipment that those who carry their long arms in the trunk have to put them on top of all of it all for easy access, thus making it the first thing to fall out if the trunk comes open (or when you are rearended) but others with first hand knowledge have failed to reason it out for some of you, so I wont waste my or your time. :rolleyes:

Did you know that the vast (and I mean VAST) majority of the rank and file police officers are your (by “your” I mean firearms enthusiasts) strong allies and compatriots in the struggle to maintain our 2A rights? Most of us do not fear an armed citizen, we appreciate them… we are “just” armed citizens too.

I guess it sucks that my first post here was a rant, but I am really surprised and disappointed by some of the attitudes I saw here in this thread

I am used to going to different places on the web and deciding to keep my profession under my hat because of all the negativity that people show the police, but I didn’t think this would be one of those places. I guess I was wrong. :banghead:

What a shame.

Gunpacker
March 18, 2005, 10:47 AM
Robert Blake has to be guilty, because no one would ever forget and leave a gun behind. One guy who supposedly carried said that he was always aware of where his gun was. All I can say is that it can happen to anyone. :rolleyes:

airbornekyle1
March 18, 2005, 10:55 AM
I could use a new AR

Catuela
March 18, 2005, 11:32 AM
I believe that if you amended the word humans in place of LEOs, your statement would be correct.
Very true

I have seen US Marines punished for the loss of 1 round for a service weapon. I think that some sort of action should be taken to ensure that LEO's remain very alert to the location of service weapons. I'm not saying suspend the guy or anything, but something should be done to let everyone know that what happened should not be acceptable.
In other situations explained in this thread there were near-incidents that were avoided due to the LEO paying attention to what what was going on. If some sort of extra duty were to assigned when somehting like this happened to make the LEO realize that what happened is strongly frowned upon and it would put an exclamation point on the issue to other officers and perhaps make them a little more vigilant in paying attention to how their gear setups are put together.

Randy in Arizona
March 18, 2005, 06:37 PM
w12code3

Welcome to The High Road.

A lot of the sad sacks here remember the bad, not the good. 'Tis sad, but 'tis also very human.

I probably have had face to face dealings with 50 or more police officers in my life, (56 years old now) but the only officer's name I can remember was one rookie in Albuquerque that chewed my a$$ for going 5 over in traffic and changing lanes too many times to suit him. The senior officer with him didn't say anything, just shook his head and walked back towards the patrol car.

I later encountered his name in the Second Chance Saves list. I'd assume someone took issue with him over something, but his vest saved him from serious injury.

MY point, I don't remember the Police Officers that have helped me, as much as the ONE that offended me. (Probably justifiably)
So I submit that with the cloak of being incognito allowed by the internet, the feelings expressed here are far different than those they would espouse in public or to your face. So give them the same amount of respect that you would give an anonymous phone caller.

Thank you for your service to your community, and our country!

P95Carry
March 18, 2005, 07:12 PM
w12code3 - and a welcome from me too :)

I fear that ''bashing'' is all but predictable - and the bad apples always seem to win the day. My son's BIL is a cop - also a darned good one .... but he has described in quite some detail one or two of the guys he has to work with - and their ''bad apple nature'' really pisses him - because it is they who help make his work harder because of their reputation - they get noticed whereas the majority good cops do not. They are too busy doing the best they can.

It will, to some degree - ever be thus I fear. It is a pity tho that at times here there is quite so much vitriol expressed, when for the most part as I see it - our cop members are probably amongst the cream of the crop - and sure don't deserve the lambasting they often get.

GRB
March 18, 2005, 07:20 PM
Why cann't this happen with a bag full of hundreds that fell out of some dirtbag's car. I would love to be driving to the airport and see a suitcase come flying out of a trunk and find it full of cash........

Matt G
March 18, 2005, 07:34 PM
Read the first post-- this story is TWO YEARS OLD!
Don't we have some other dead horses we could beat on?!?

If you enjoyed reading about "Man finds state trooper's assault rifle, ammo in road" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!