Antique holster treatment

PDA

76shuvlinoff
July 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
Folks,
I recently found and purchased a soft shell 1944 cxb holster for my Dad's bring-back P38. It has wear and some cracking but no rips and appears to be in decent shape for it's age. It is brown and there are not a ton of brown ones out there.

What should and shouldn't I do to preserve the leather? I know not to store the pistol in it but what should I treat a 68 year old holster with?

Thanks,
Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Antique holster treatment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Leatherman-Cowboy
July 16, 2012, 12:46 AM
Use neutral Kiwi polish.The polish will penetrate the leather and also make it easy to shine up.
Thank you,
Henry

SleazyRider
July 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
Do nothing. Leave it alone.

SleazyRider
July 16, 2012, 05:28 PM
More here. Skip to "conclusions" if you're so inclined: http://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/09-01.pdf

rcmodel
July 16, 2012, 05:34 PM
You better do something or the cracking is only going to get worse until it self distructs.

I use Kiwi Camp Dry Leather Lotion on all my old leather.

And follow that with the Kiwi neutral paste shoe wax.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Antique holster treatment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!