Notches in my XDM. 45 mag follower - normal?

PDA

gunsrfun1
July 13, 2012, 10:10 PM
Friend let me borrow his relatively new Springfield Armory XDM .45, which was very nice to shoot. I would say between him and me it has ~ 300 rounds through it. In cleaning it up, I noticed a notch, or impression, (whatever you want to call it), on the followers of both mags. It's located on the right side of the follower, directly across from the vertical front ridge on the left side of the follower near the front. Hopefully the attached photo gives you an idea of what I am talking about. Anyway, I am guessing this is produced by loading the cartridges into the mag, especially the last two or three (13-round capacity) but I am wondering if it is "normal" or not. I've never really seen mag followers get notched or impressioned from loading cartridges, so I was somewhat concerned. This is WWB and Rem brass-cased ammo I was using. Maybe the plastic followers are somewhat soft? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Notches in my XDM. 45 mag follower - normal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
Perfectly normal with plastic followers if you shoot the gun.

Caused by the slide pushing the rim of the cartridge being fed in a straight line in the mag feed lips, and then having the rim driven down into the soft plastic follower when the feed ramp pushes the bullet up toward the chamber.
Before the feed lips release it to straighten up and fly right, into the chamber.

It will get to a certain point peening the follower, and then further wear will stop.

rc

INMY01TA
July 14, 2012, 01:25 AM
Normal.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/203869-followers-xdm-mags-gouging-again.html

gunsrfun1
July 14, 2012, 09:31 PM
Thank you all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Notches in my XDM. 45 mag follower - normal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!