AA#7 for 9mm and 40 s&w

PDA

JO JO
July 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
Ran out of power pistol and lgs out of stock for the foreseeable future,
thinking of AA#7 as it is plentiful, how would #7 compare to power pistol
like a powder that fills case well.

If you enjoyed reading about "AA#7 for 9mm and 40 s&w" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 14, 2012, 11:29 PM
AA #7 is much slower then Power Pistol.

It will work in 9mm, and I suppose it will work in .40 too.

But it will be like burning charcoal unless you run balls to the wall max loads all the time.

AA #5 would be much closer to Power Pistol, and probably a much more useful powder in either caliber.

IMO: If you worry about filling the case for double-charge safety reasons?
You need to review your reloading practices so a double charged case is impossible to do.

rc

zeke
July 15, 2012, 05:26 PM
Am using AA-7 for 115 and 124 jhp rounds in 9mm, and seems to prefer mag primers. Consistent throwing and very good velocity/accuracy at the upper load levels. It certainly does not need "balls to the walls max loads" :scrutiny:

223man
July 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
AA-7 is my go-to powder for 9mm and have had only good results with it.

For a Helwan Brigadier, low to mid scale loads and max loads for a very fussy Browning HP GB.

Good stuff!

BBDartCA
July 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
I've had great luck with #7 in 9mm in everything from PM9 / LC9 to Uzis but no luck with it in 40 with bullets from 165 to 180, FMJ and plated. Power Pistol for both 9mm & 40 have been great. Power Pistol being the best 40 powder I've used.

Walkalong
July 15, 2012, 07:17 PM
a powder that fills case well.All the medium speed or slower powders I have tried in (mm fill the case well. A max load double charge will spill over with most, if not all, of them.

kludge
July 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
I love #7 in the .40 S&W. I use 8.1gr behind a 170gr MBCo. Fills the case nicely. Very clean. Low flash. Most accurate load yet in my 4" XD. I won't use #5 in the .40 S&W... call me paranoid, I see too many Glock kaboom stories that have used #5. It also makes big fireballs.

NuJudge
July 16, 2012, 06:31 PM
I've only used it with cast, and with mostly CCI regular small pistol primers, with good accuracy results. My charge weights are a good bit higher than with faster powders, but I got a lot of it cheap. I like the fact that it pretty much fills the case, and meters so well through a measure on a progressive loader. It does leave a lot of unburned powder on the bench, and probably a lot more in front of it.

VaGunNut
July 16, 2012, 08:16 PM
I really like using all of the AA powders.......2,5,7,9 when loading lead bullets in autoloaders.

JEB
July 18, 2012, 12:29 AM
i have not used AA7 in 9mm but it is just about all i use in .40. the load i use the most is 8.0 gr behind a 170gr SWC from missouri bullet. very clean and very accurate. a double charge with this load will not overflow the case, but it will be filled right up to the mouth.

If you enjoyed reading about "AA#7 for 9mm and 40 s&w" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!