Brownin Hi Power parts

PDA

wow6599
July 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
I asked this question about a year ago here, and didn't really get many answers - so here goes again.

I got me to thinking about MIM parts in newer Hi Powers.
Are there any, where are they and when did they start using them? I don't have a problem with MIM parts in certain areas.....other areas I do have a problem with them.

And please, let's not make this a "MIM" war ;).

If you enjoyed reading about "Brownin Hi Power parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mizar
July 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
What I know is that since 2006 Hi-Powers have MIM trigger, sear, trigger bar and trigger. On the earlier Mk III's those same parts are cast steel.

Boris

wow6599
July 15, 2012, 02:05 PM
Thank You, Boris.

Looks like C&S hammer set will need to be ordered for the trigger job I have planned.

DPris
July 15, 2012, 02:18 PM
I have C&S non-MIMs in both of my Hi-Powers.
Denis

Mizar
July 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
I don't see any problem performing a competent trigger job on MIM parts - meaning polishing and truing parts geometry. You won't be able to replicate a Hammerli 215 trigger pull for example, but a 4 Lbs trigger is easily achievable, it will last and be safe.

Boris

wow6599
July 15, 2012, 03:35 PM
but a 4 Lbs trigger is easily achievable, it will last and be safe

I don't know. I have had 2 trigger jobs done by Springfield on 1911's that have those same parts (Loaded and a Range Officer), and both had to go back and tuned from the 4 lbs I asked for to around 5 lbs because of hammer follow. The head gunsmith (David Williams) is very well respected, and he didn't advise going below 5 lbs on either of those guns - and I have to think it's because of MIM parts.

FN may use better quality MIM parts, but for a little over $100 I will go with steel that is machined from bar stock.

DPris
July 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
It's my understanding the cast FN sear doesn't hold up to longterm use as well as a tool steel part.
For casual use, I doubt you'd ever notice the difference in longevity.
Denis

danez71
July 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
And please, let's not make this a "MIM" war ;).

The head gunsmith (David Williams) is very well respected, and he didn't advise going below 5 lbs on either of those guns - and I have to think it's because of MIM parts.

FN may use better quality MIM parts, but for a little over $100 I will go with steel that is machined from bar stock.

And now you just opened the MIM war flood gates ;)

SharpsDressedMan
July 15, 2012, 05:49 PM
Maybe we SHOULD be aware of the deficiencies of MIM parts, if they exist, and give feedback to the manufacturers. Some things are not WORTH the cost cutting measures.

Skylerbone
July 16, 2012, 02:56 AM
I won't weigh in on the MIM parts debate but for all you BHP owners you owe it to yourself to look in to the new TR line from Warner Pistols. Chuck Warner has spent the last year developing a True Radius sear (from EDM tool steel) to offer neutral engagement for a consistent, reliable and safe trigger pull.http://www.warnerpistols.com/. The idea was hatched out during an extended discussion online with a number of top pistolsmiths and industry professionals.

ColdDayInHell
July 16, 2012, 03:12 AM
I can't find the 1935 Checkered grips anywhere. I want a spare for my Nazi marked Hi Power.

emmie
July 17, 2012, 11:33 AM
what does MIM mean??? are they better than steel?????????

MrDig
July 17, 2012, 12:05 PM
Metal Injection Molding

As opposed to a part cut from a piece of metal on a machine. MIM parst are simpler and cost effective for the manufacturer but, because of the molding process softer than machined parts and therefore wear out more quickly

DPris
July 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
It's not necessarily the softness that's the issue.
MIM parts can be very hard to the point of brittleness, and the hardness as well as the quality of the part varies with the metal formula and its heat treating.

The issue of MIM wear has more to do with porosity than softness. The material used in handguns typically isn't as dense as the older forged or bar stock material.

Also, can anybody confirm the Hi-Power sear now IS MIM?
It's been cast for several years, not exactly the same thing.
Denis

If you enjoyed reading about "Brownin Hi Power parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!