I don't care if it HAS been done to death: XD9 vs G19

PDA

danweasel
July 18, 2012, 06:08 PM
So, I am going to buy my first 9mm tonight.

In this corner: XD9 $419.00 I had an XD45 Tactical (wish I still did) and it shot good. That is the extent of my XD experience.

In that corner: Glock 19 Gen4. $605.00 I shot a Glock once. It was in .357 Sig and had a compensator so not very comparable...

I know there are posts similar to this but none with the Gen4 that I could find. Maybe I am just excited. Hell, maybe I am just bragging. Either way, I would appreciate some input.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "I don't care if it HAS been done to death: XD9 vs G19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walking Dead
July 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
Why would you limit yourself to only two choices? Or what process did you use to narrow it down to these? There are a whole bunch of other great options in that category. But if those were the choices I'd probably get the Xd. Price is always a factor and great guns don't have to cost that much.

Hunter125
July 18, 2012, 06:21 PM
Pick whichever points the best to you, whatever your natural point of aim is.
I chose the XD because of that and because I like the grip saftey. I feel that there would be less chance of AD's like there have been with some Glocks.
I think the XD is easier to field strip as well.
It all comes down to personal preference, you won't find a difference in reliability/function and they will both outlast you if you take care of them.
If it were me, especially if the XD is cheaper, I would scoop it up.

Skribs
July 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
XD9, hands down. I prefer the XDm over the XD, but for nearly $200, the XD is a much better buy.

I'm with Walking Dead - why not the M&P or Caracal? If the Glock is over $600, why not XDm? I understand that certain other options (Ruger, FNS, Taurus) all have manual safeties, and don't quite fit the same category as XD and Glock.

f4t9r
July 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
both good guns, i would save the money and buy the XD. You ask so there you go !!

Kyl3
July 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
Save the $200 and get the XD

1KPerDay
July 18, 2012, 06:32 PM
Buy the one that fits YOUR hand and points well FOR YOU.

Buckeyeguy525
July 18, 2012, 06:45 PM
If you have $600 to spend, I would look into the XDm as well. Better ergonomics and higher capacity than both listed. Of the two you mentioned, I have owned both so here is my breakdown:

*Ergonomics: XD fit my hand better, but that may depend on you.
*Safety: XD has a grip safety, glock has no type of external safety
*Trigger: Glock. The XD trigger has a lot of takeup, Ive replaced all the triggers on my XD's
*Reliability: Draw. I have never had a glock or xd jam
*Sights: XD has standard 3 dot, glock has the frame and dot
*Maintenance: draw
*Aftermarket support: glock, but theres a ton for xd also

If its just between those two, buy the XD and save the $200. You are a fool if you buy the Glock- was that a direct enough answer for you?

danweasel
July 18, 2012, 06:48 PM
The problem is they both fit my hand well but they are so... different... I worry because the last handgun I bought (FNP40) felt great in the gunshop-and never since. But I think I am agreeing with a lot of what's here. XD is looking real good.

Caracal is out, too new, and the one guy who I know who has one says, "meh".
M&P just doesn't feel right.
XDM is overpriced (I think $650+), here at least. Also it looks really dorky, hahaha.
And yes, manual safeties are for the birds.

I love this site. Thanks.

danweasel
July 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
Oh I forgot to add, the one main sticking point against the XD:

I like the Glock sights. Love 'em actually. I know, white markings shouldn't matter for precision but as far as fast and "accurate enough" I love frame and dot sights.

R.W.Dale
July 18, 2012, 06:55 PM
If this is a defensive handgun glock hands down.

I won't consider an xd for one reason. The grip safety locks the slide when disengaged. Making certain clearance drills impossible

Buckeyeguy525
July 18, 2012, 06:55 PM
yes, they are both very different, but very similiar. For me, the biggest difference between the two is the bore axis. The XD sits very high, the slide feels "tall", but you'll get used to it. Its really a wash between the two, if they were the same price it would just be a toss-up. If you do get the XD, I would look into a Powder River Precision drop-in trigger kit. Takes about an hour to install, they have youtube videos walking you through it. I've installed 2 and they make the gun shoot like a 1911. This kit costs $115, you can do a Glock trigger job for about $20. Something else to think about

Skribs
July 18, 2012, 07:02 PM
The grip safety locks the slide when disengaged.

I have issue with this as well, but I haven't had any issues where it's been more than just a nuissance. You can tap-rack-bang just fine with it.

barstoolguru
July 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
get the doc to give you some zanex because it is just a gun. it's like shoes some fit some don't but like an ulgy kid you Except it and live life

Tcruse
July 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
If you are not going to be a heavy user then pick the one that you like. If you expect to do a lot of shooting and want something that will always work get the Glock. Street price here for G17 gen 4 is about $499. Gen 3 is running about $450 street price. XDm has a much better chance of being a reliable and accurate gun over the XD9. Parts, accessories, and service will all favor the Glock. SW M&P is another service level gun. There are lots of choices and many of me are good. I would not personally but a gun from Croatia.

Skribs
July 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
get the doc to give you some zanex because it is just a gun. it's like shoes some fit some don't but like an ulgy kid you execpt it and live life

Uh...he doesn't seem to be stressing over it. Not sure what you're rambling about.

Tcruse, I don't personally buy into the whole Glock-is-more-durable-than-X bit. Glocks have been around for longer, and have a longer track record, but I don't think the other options in the class are likely to break just because they don't have as long of a track record.

coolluke01
July 18, 2012, 07:24 PM
Go glock and never look back. The grip angle and lower bore axis are a huge plus. And they aren't made in Croatia!

boricua9mm
July 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
There's some stuff to hate about Glocks; crummy plastic sights, a strange grip angle, plastic recoil rods (that I've seen break), recent ejection problems, and a weirdo know-it-all fanbase that usually opens their mouth and proves they aren't familiar with other guns.

Now, since IT HAS been done to death, even recently, I will say that having hated Glocks for a long time and having owned one of the early pre-XD pistols (Gen. 2 HS2000), the Glock is the better choice, unless you have extensive training and predispositions to a completely different type of pistol. It boasts aftermarket support out the *bleep*, is extremely easy to detail strip and perform your own Armorer level maintenance, has multiple trigger upgrades for take-up and break, it is much more size efficient, has no unnecessary safeties that might prevent you from firing the gun in compromised positions/holds, and it is infinitely more sustainable as it is the most common pistol in America.

...but you probably shouldn't be researching all of this when you intend to just go and buy a pistol within a few hours of asking the question. :scrutiny:

tobenheim
July 18, 2012, 08:44 PM
Buy the XD and put the extra cash into ammo. $605 for a Glock seems high to me. XD is a good solid performer.

gunnutery
July 19, 2012, 12:24 AM
Sorry to base it on looks, the Glock is ugly, but in my eyes, it's a beauty queen next to the XD.

I've never really been that big a fan of grip safeties. I like the very simple passive safeties of the Glock, it only makes you think about the most important safety (your brain).

ku4hx
July 19, 2012, 07:45 AM
I don't care either, in fact I care so little I now own two model 19 Glocks ... Gen3 and Gen4.

thefamcnaj
July 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
I own multiple Glocks and xd's. I love both. The xd has better ergos going for it but other than that I would say there equal. All around the Glock 19 is my favorite pistol, perfect balance between magazine capacity, ability to conceal, accuracy, and light weight.
How ever at the price points to mention, I would go with the xd personally. The 600$ range is to high for a g19.
419$ is a great buy on the xd.

Buckeyeguy525
July 19, 2012, 08:25 AM
Glocks really work for a lot of people, which is why you have so many loyalists. I personally could never get the Glocks to feel just right in my hand. The hump at the base of the grip makes them sit in my hand funny and naturally point left, and it also pushes the large magazine baseplate into the side of my palm. The Glock 26 and 27 however do not have the same ergonomics because of the smaller grip and the magazines sit flush, for that reason the Glock 26 is ony of my all time favorite all around guns. I made the mistake of thinking because I loved the 26 that I'd love the 19...not so at all. Traded the 19 for an m&p which I traded for an XD.

Plan2Live
July 19, 2012, 08:34 AM
Do you want fries or onion rings? White or wheat? On this one it really comes down to personal preference. As you see, you can make endless arguments for and against each. It all comes down to your personal hot buttons.

I don't understand the objection to Croatia (remember Austria gave us one very bad ********** Governor) but all of the accessories that came with my XDm are made in Israel. I have no problem supporting Israel.

mes228
July 19, 2012, 08:55 AM
In Virginia, at Gun Shows Glock 19's are running $499- $549. The XD9 is very close the same price it seems to me.

jman74
July 19, 2012, 09:22 AM
If possible go to a range and rent both guns. See which you like better and which fits you better. I vote for the XD but that's simply because the Glock's grip angle feels strange to me. I couldn't shoot the G22 I had accurately. Although the two guns seem like they should be very similar, in my opinion at least, they shoot very differently.

miles1
July 19, 2012, 10:15 AM
Another vote for XD9.

fxstchewy
July 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
Everybody is different but i really like both guns, i have both and i have never had an issue with either, i shoot them about the same but one area that i have a problem with is concealed carry, the Glocks "hide" better on me and are more comfortable to carry, i have tried a bunch of holsters for my XD's and i can't get any to work for my body style.

WinThePennant
July 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
I'll always take Glock over Springfield XD.

danweasel
July 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
Welp, I got the XD and 500rds of hardball for $530. They tried to get me by lowering the price of the G19 to $560 (which apparently is not a good deal anyways) but $429 was just too nice a price for the XD. I like it only slighly less than my XD45. Love the ammo prices, though.

Looks like I will never get a Glock at this rate. I keep trying to justify it but...

Thanks folks. Even the holier than thou among ya, hahaha,
Dan

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
I tried Glocks and I don't like them. Grip just doesn't do it for me.

Making certain clearance drills impossible

Care to share? I'm yet to find something where the grip safety prevents it from happening.

Dreamliner787
July 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
Has there been an XD torture test yet like there are with so many Glocks?

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 19, 2012, 04:15 PM
There was one and the XD went 20,000 rounds without malfunction too. Can't find it at the moment so maybe someone else will have better luck.

schmidtundve▀on
July 19, 2012, 04:46 PM
Has there been an XD torture test yet like there are with so many Glocks?
http://web.archive.org/web/20051212091303/http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

ExMachina
July 20, 2012, 12:30 AM
Caracal is out, too new, and the one guy who I know who has one says, "meh".

That response is not typical. Do you really trust his opinion?

M&P just doesn't feel right.

And a Glock does??? Seriously, ergos are the M&P's strong suit. I've owned, sold, re-owned and re-sold so many Glocks because of their poorly-thought out grips that I'd strong urge you to reconsider the M&P. M&Ps are sweet handling guns (something that I'm sorry to say I could never say about Glocks, despite desperately trying)

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 20, 2012, 04:11 AM
One thing I want to know about that torture test is what happened to the sights?

karlb
July 20, 2012, 04:17 AM
I had a XD9, and I traded it even up for a G19. I never looked back. If your going to CCW, the Glock conceals a lot better. My XD9 was actually about the same size as my G22.

danweasel
July 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
Yes, that is true, the XD9 is pretty bulky for it's size, if that makes sense. This isn't for CCW though. Just a fun/training gun that won't break the bank, ammo-wise.

As to the Caracal, it's not so much that my buddy doesn't like it. More that it is just nothing new or special which is how it was marketed. Also apparently the "fast sights" are a step backwards. I would have to agree there, even without shooting it. I mean, do normal pistol sights really take that long to line up? Why sacrifice accuracy to a gimmick?

jdmb03
July 20, 2012, 11:59 AM
I've had both and like the XD better because of the trigger. The XD is smoother and has a more natural feel. The Glock has the annoying click.

Water-Man
July 20, 2012, 01:52 PM
Sig SP2022 or Walther PPQ

edfrompa
July 21, 2012, 11:09 PM
Yes there has been an XD torture test. Go to the XD forum and take a look. The XD is a very impressive handgun. Especially the XD 9mm Tactical.

Rusty Luck
July 21, 2012, 11:36 PM
I have the xdm and I love it, great pistol.

RoboDuck
July 22, 2012, 03:08 AM
I have owned 2 XD's and both functioned very well. I just like the glocks better . Glocks customer service is excellent.

NG VI
July 22, 2012, 06:16 PM
it is much more size efficient,

That alone leads me to pick Glock in the compact or subcompact arena.

For a full size gun, I might pick a 17, but I'd be more likely to try something like a CZ P-07, FNS, maybe even a 2022. The subcompact Glocks are really the stand-out performers of the bunch, though some of their appeal like ease of maintenance (all maintenance) and size efficiency is shared by the larger models as well.

wow6599
July 22, 2012, 09:36 PM
Walther PPQ

^ This is the best polymer 9 out there.

Oh, almost forgot........ I guess I would take a Glock over the HS2000.

If you enjoyed reading about "I don't care if it HAS been done to death: XD9 vs G19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!