9mm pocket rocket review

PDA

MrDig
July 18, 2012, 08:32 PM
Here is what I think is a good review of Sub Compact 9mm Semi-Auto Pistols.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/07/chris-dumm/a-reader-asks-whats-a-good-9mm-subcompact/

My personal opinion might differ a little. I own a Kel-Tec but it is a P11 not the PF9 so I won't argue about that review. Also low on the list is the Diamondback which I have no experience with.
The other guns I haven't been able to shoot so I am going to go with the recommendation of my LGS if I buy another Pocket Rocket and get the Nano

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm pocket rocket review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
justice06rr
July 18, 2012, 09:54 PM
Good review. I had the same issues with the PF9 (FTF, FTE/stovepipes).

It would be nice to see the Taurus 709Slim added to the list though. It was my replacement to the PF9. It was about the same size and even fits in the same holster as the PF9. Has a thumb safety and is SA/DA. My 709 was also very reliable and much better quality than the Keltec.

JohnBT
July 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
"My personal opinion might differ a little."

Me too, I've carried a Rohrbaugh for more than 5 years.

Shipwreck
July 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
Winner, IMHO:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/doubleshield2.jpg

MrDig
July 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
For whatever the reason the nano feels more comfortable in my hand.
I'm certain most of them are real quality guns, it's just a ford / chevy argument at a certain price point in this market.
They have more detailed reviews of each gun in the article, Some people here don't scour the web even as much as I do looking for reviews like this. They just come here and ask us. I'll admit I can be pretty set in my ways and might think more highly of a gun than it really should be.
Case in point for me is the Hi-Power I would always advise a person to buy one, Always. But in the end they may actually like the CZ 75 better and be better served by one of them. My opinion of the hi-power could sway them into something they don't need, want or like.
So of the guns reviewed I will stick to the one that feels most comfortable in my hand.

jfrey
July 19, 2012, 04:39 PM
Shipwreck is right AGAIN. The Shield is a great gun and so far neither of mine has had a single firing issue. The only issue so far is the popularity makes them very hard to find. S&W will catch up on production one of these days and finding one will get easier.

Shipwreck
July 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
I've held the Nano. It's just too top heavy with that shortened grip. I am a huge Beretta nut, as everyone knows. But I just can't like the Nano.

Heck, I have always hated M&Ps because of the factory trigger. Had I not rented a Shield for the heck of it (which does happen to have a different trigger than a standard M&P), I won't know what all the hooplah was about concerning the Shield.

But man, is that gun awesome :rolleyes:

DAdams
July 19, 2012, 05:05 PM
Have you tried a Boberg? They are shipping a few hundred at a time now and the backlog is about 8 months.

The Shield is getting good reviews indeed.

Since I got my PM 9 running the way it should years ago and have an M&p compact with what i feel is A good trigger I don't really have the Shield urge.

Esoxchaser
July 20, 2012, 01:43 PM
Waiting for the P938 to mature a little bit, then I will be all over it.

jimbo555
July 20, 2012, 04:15 PM
I'm sticking with my ruger lc9,I like the trigger and its smaller and lighter than the shield. Mine has been 100% thru about 2k rounds.

Girodin
July 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
Winner, IMHO:

The shield is not a pocket pistol. I do not think that the LC9 really is either, or the PF9 for that matter. Those guns are better compared to the P9/CW9 than the PM and CM. They are closer in size to those guns. I realize that the review was just of sub compact and it was the title of this thread that was about pocket pistols.

I wont attempt to declare a winner as I have only had significant experience with fraction of those guns.

As to the review, the follow statement was pretty stupid:

Single-action pistols aren’t always the best choice for concealed carry, because carry options are limited because you must use a holster to avoid accidental discharges (preferably one with a thumb-break) but choices are limited for proprietary subcompacts like the P938

I wouldn't carry any of the guns in that review unless they were in a holster. Nothing special about the P938 being single action. A good holster that covers the trigger would be required for any of those to be safely carried.

Further a thumb break is no more need for the single action gun than a double action gun.

That statement comes across a bunch of ignorant excuses for not icluding the gun in the review.

jimbo555
July 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
My lc9 carrys easier in my pockets than my model37 s&w!

Onward Allusion
July 20, 2012, 07:17 PM
The PF-9 is very finicky with ammo unless you do the fluff & buff. Me, I'm lazy. I stuck with Federal FMJ and totally old school Federal Hydra Shok. Who knows, maybe shooting a few thousand rounds will make it less finicky, but then it will be broken (not broken-in) 'cause they ain't made for thousands and thousands of rounds! :D

My P-11's however, will eat anything... Go figure...

skt239
July 20, 2012, 09:39 PM
The shield is not a pocket pistol. I do not think that the LC9 really is either, or the PF9 for that matter. Those guns are better compared to the P9/CW9 than the PM and CM. They are closer in size to those guns. I realize that the review was just of sub compact and it was the title of this thread that was about pocket pistols.

I wont attempt to declare a winner as I have only had significant experience with fraction of those guns.

As to the review, the follow statement was pretty stupid:

I wouldn't carry any of the guns in that review unless they were in a holster. Nothing special about the P938 being single action. A good holster that covers the trigger would be required for any of those to be safely carried.

Further a thumb break is no more need for the single action gun than a double action gun.

That statement comes across a bunch of ignorant excuses for not icluding the gun in the review.

While I may not agree with the last part of your post, I certainly agree that single action is fine for CCW. Also agree that so long the holster is sturdy and covers the trigger, you should be fine. I personally don't like SA for carry but that has to do with added complexity of a manual safety. It just does not work for me but there is nothing unsafe about it.

One_Jackal
July 21, 2012, 12:38 AM
I will not own a single action with a manual safety. People say single actions are dangerous. I have dropped my 3 bolt Super Blackhawk numerous times and out of a tree once. It has never accidentally fired. Every time I shoot a deer with it. I drag the deer out of the woods before I even think about putting an empty chamber under the hammer. If you have drug a deer any distance you know you are likely to lose your footing at some point.

Maybe the author took lessons from Dick Cheney.

Girodin
July 21, 2012, 01:01 AM
I have dropped my 3 bolt Super Blackhawk numerous times and out of a tree once. It has never accidentally fired. Every time I shoot a deer with it. I drag the deer out of the woods before I even think about putting an empty chamber under the hammer. If you have drug a deer any distance you know you are likely to lose your footing at some point.

Safety of single action revolvers is not really the same issue as a gun like the P938. However, you are tempting fate if your Ruger doesn't have transfer bar and your are dropping it a lot. Because it didn't land wrong (or right depending on your perspective) and didn't go off certainly doesn't mean it cannot. Why tempt fate? Also I'm a bit curious about how you manage to drop a loaded gun so regularly.

Here is a link you might find worth looking at. A woman was killed by a Ruger single six that fell out of the car. Very tragic accident. Even more so because best safety practices could have avoided it.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8083006

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm pocket rocket review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!